Michael Newton

Big Sexc

Michael Newton's current form in the VFL surely warrants selection for the Demons.

Whilst he has been given numerous opportunities at the senior level, I believe we need to reward form with games and avoid the culture of giving games in order to 'develop' younger players.

The next obvious question is who comes out? Watts? Dunn?

Perhaps giving Watts a run in the reserves will benefit his development, or conversely, dropping Dunn and going with a Newton/Watts combo will take some of the focus and pressure of Watts.

Thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Newton's current form in the VFL surely warrants selection for the Demons.

Whilst he has been given numerous opportunities at the senior level, I believe we need to reward form with games and avoid the culture of giving games in order to 'develop' younger players.

The next obvious question is who comes out? Watts? Dunn?

Perhaps giving Watts a run in the reserves will benefit his development, or conversely, dropping Dunn and going with a Newton/Watts combo will take some of the focus and pressure of Watts.

Thoughts?

I may be wrong, and I'd be happy to eat my words, but I just can't see it happening with Newton. He's had more than enough time to prove himself, and he's only a bit player at best with little intensity. If we are to progress as a serious threat in years to come, I can't see him being the answer. Although he might not be as naturally gifted, I'd have Stef Martin in my side ahead of Newton every day of the week given the effort he puts in and the flexibility he provides.

well we didnt re-rookie him just for injury. he kicked 11 goals in two weeks. ive been saying we gotta bring in bate or newton, even if they are [censored] because we need structure and someone to kick to. The rol of a forward like those guys is to lead or provide a contest and bring the ball to ground, not to outmarked by defender which can happen with watts, dunn and smaller forwards.

I may be wrong, and I'd be happy to eat my words, but I just can't see it happening with Newton. He's had more than enough time to prove himself, and he's only a bit player at best with little intensity. If we are to progress as a serious threat in years to come, I can't see him being the answer. Although he might not be as naturally gifted, I'd have Stef Martin in my side ahead of Newton every day of the week given the effort he puts in and the flexibility he provides.

Welcome to Demonland bhima. I must admit I did a double take when I saw that a thread on Michael Newton had been started by 'bhima' - as it wasn't by me.

For the record, my forum name is actually my middle name which is a reference to the epic Indian Poem the Mahabharata, and has nothing to do with Brent Moloney. What perchance is your name in reference to?

well we didnt re-rookie him just for injury. he kicked 11 goals in two weeks. ive been saying we gotta bring in bate or newton, even if they are [censored] because we need structure and someone to kick to. The rol of a forward like those guys is to lead or provide a contest and bring the ball to ground, not to outmarked by defender which can happen with watts, dunn and smaller forwards.

I agree with the idea of newton providing for structure in the side.

Also a reason why I am a believer of Warnock in the backline. A quality tall who consistently performs and his ability to swing forward is brian lake-esque.

Agree with the sentiment 'Bailey's Babies'. If Newton can provide a contest, consistently then great. I'd like to see him succeed, but from everything he's shown at the top level so far, he can't or won't give sustained efforts - he looks damn lazy.

Agree with the sentiment 'Bailey's Babies'. If Newton can provide a contest, consistently then great. I'd like to see him succeed, but from everything he's shown at the top level so far, he can't or won't give sustained efforts - he looks damn lazy.

completely agree. but he got rookied, and i think that was a real rocket up his bum, and spoke to him before the season started and he said himself he'd been a lazy footballer and would kill to have another chance. it seem he's matured with age, but remember he had fairly high hopes of being the David Neitz replacement when he came to the club.

Not saying he'll set the world on fire, but he seems a logical inclusion for a deep target for structure, whereas Bater is that leadup which Dunny seems to playing at the moment.

Welcome to Demonland bhima. I must admit I did a double take when I saw that a thread on Michael Newton had been started by 'bhima' - as it wasn't by me.

For the record, my forum name is actually my middle name which is a reference to the epic Indian Poem the Mahabharata, and has nothing to do with Brent Moloney. What perchance is your name in reference to?

It's a combination of my first and last name producing my nickname.

Quite the coincidence hahah!

I'm for Juice being given another chance.

You have to provide reward and incentive for guys knocking on the door with good Casey performances.

This whole "get games into the youngesters regardless of how they perform" is bogus. It breeds complacency and resentment throughout the playing list.

Edited by Range Rover

The FD are either supremely and eternally optimistic, or they know that there is value in still having Juice on our list after all these years and that he may well 'click' at senior level eventually. One of lifes great mysteries is the Juice!

If he is on our list, he has the right to earn a place in the senior side.

How much does he want it?? With the amount of chances he has already had, his stint in the VFL should be longer, but he should still be in the mix.

i would love to see juice kick 6 in a big game, the crowd would go Right Off!

If he is on our list, he has the right to earn a place in the senior side.

How much does he want it?? With the amount of chances he has already had, his stint in the VFL should be longer, but he should still be in the mix.

i would love to see juice kick 6 in a big game, the crowd would go Right Off!

I would have thought he needs to show a few more good results at Casey before he gets another senior shot.

I think he was kept on the list as insurance.

Very few injuries means he plays at Casey in the medium term.

Martin has the spot that Juice would fill and I have seen nothing to suggest we should drop him to allow Juice in.

Guest watts04

y do people still rate newton

no goo hence he is a rookie, has kicked bags before in the VFL and been promoted and dropped

stop bangin ur heads against brick walls people

hes a spud

no goo hence he is a rookie, has kicked bags before in the VFL and been promoted and dropped

hes a spud

Obviously the FD see something you don't

hes a spud

He's the promoted rookie and hence eligible to play for the Dees; they didn't promote him for no reason and if he is performing well and kicking bags of goals at Casey, then he MUST be considered for a game. Tell me, where did Ballarat finish in the comp last year and how many goals did he boot against them? Even spuds taste good when they are prepared well.

Edited by hardtack

Obviously the FD see something you don't

At the start of the year, it was pretty clear to me Newton was only re-rookied because of our dire need for ruck options.

Pre-season, the prospect was Jamar going down was frightening. Spenser and Gawn still years away from being competitive in the ruck, Martin coming off an horrific 2010... we were seriously bereft of options.

Newton is perfect back up for Martin in the 'back-up ruckman/versatile around the ground' position that has been created with the new ruck rule.

Campbell was brought in as a desperate attempt to give Jamar cover.

As long as Jamar and Martin are doing the job, Newton will stay in the vfl in my opinion. Newton's best chance of playing is to show he's a better option with Martin

I'm for Juice being given another chance.

You have to provide reward and incentive for guys knocking on the door with good Casey performances.

This whole "get games into the youngesters regardless of how they perform" is bogus. It breeds complacency and resentment throughout the playing list.

CGAF.

We have made an investment.

The more we play them, the sooner we get a ROI.

As long as they are doing the basics well, play them.

CGAF.

We have made an investment.

The more we play them, the sooner we get a ROI.

As long as they are doing the basics well, play them.

TMA

He's the promoted rookie and hence eligible to play for the Dees; they didn't promote him for no reason and if he is performing well and kicking bags of goals at Casey, then he MUST be considered for a game. Tell me, where did Ballarat finish in the comp last year and how many goals did he boot against them? Even spuds taste good when they are prepared well.

They finished first, newton didnt kick any? he didnt play due to suspension??????

They finished first, newton didnt kick any? he didnt play due to suspension??????

haha... damn!! I'll just be leaving via the crack under the door then shall I? :-)