Did we go too far?

Range Rover

Remember Ricky Ponting's early career. He had a similar problem, and he resurrected himself. Pity he didn't overcome more important flaws in his character.

As a 21yo he got drunk and got into a fight. It was once off and not the similar problem that Beamer admitted to. I wouldnt mind a few sportsmen of the calibre of a Ponting in my side. :rolleyes:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good punishment. It will hurt Moloney, but gives him the ability to work hard, but a role model unofficial leader, and i'm certain he'll be back in the leadership group by the end of the year

The bottom line is that Moloney has identified that he has an issue or problem and is taking steps to deal with it. His problem is not uncommon in society. Its a pity a few more people with similar binge habits dont take the same sensible action.

But why can't the club help him behind the scenes with this problem? Why seemingly force him to "take the stand" and confess in such a public way. It's not like he's a Brendan Fevola type with 28 priors.

It was a dumb act. Okay, announce it and strip him of the VC. But forcing him to admit a binge drinking problem and pushing him to commit to a rehab program within 12 hours of the event? Overkill and more than a bit insensitive on Schwab's part.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moloney and his family were a bit upset about that aspect of the way it was handled.

Again, we may not know the full story of what is happening behind the scenes.

From where I am sitting though, I'm glad the Club has made a statement by enforcing this. We are a very young team, and the last thing we want is for our current batch of teenagers, that get paid quite handsomely for their age, going out on the weekends and getting hammered.

I have no doubt it will make Beamer more hungry. Regardless of if the punishment is too hard or not, he didn't set a good example, and I'm pretty sure that there will be no hard feelings held by Beamer. He would know he made an error of judgement, and that it was lucky that it didn't cost the Club. If he is a true clubman, like we all think he is, he will take his game to another level.

I would also like to think that he does enough over the year to warrant being voted back in to the leadership group.

As a 21yo he got drunk and got into a fight. It was once off and not the similar problem that Beamer admitted to. I wouldnt mind a few sportsmen of the calibre of a Ponting in my side. :rolleyes:

I would argue that that probably was not the case. Beamer got busted and has admitted that although he does not drink often, when he does drink it is to excess. Ponting was drunk and made no admissions about his drinking habits... chances are that he was in a similar place as Beamer as far as his drinking habits were concerned; only difference is that he got into a fight and Beamer didn't.

Having said that, as with Ponting (and, I suppose, Sylvia), this could be the best thing to have happened to Moloney as it may be just the wake-up call he has needed to reassess and focus himself - hopefully we will now see him start to play his best football on a far more consistent basis. I'm predicting that by the end of this season he will be a far better player (and person) for it and will be back in the leadership group in 2012.

This will be merged with the other thread no doubt, but I would like to comment on something that didn't sit comfortably with me at today's Schwab/Bailey/Moloney press conference.

Following his admission of guilt at being out drinking late, Schwab prompted a clearly uncomfortable Moloney to admit to a binge drinking problem live to the cameras, as well as commit in public to attending some sort of AFL sanctioned rehab program.

I don't know about anyone else but that particular interchange made me feel very uncomfortable. Did Schwab really have to push things that far?

I wonder how Brent felt having to disclose his problem in such a public and confronting way. Alcoholism is a delicate issue for any person and I'm wondering whether the club powerbrokers really thought this one through ....

I agree -felt it was a cheap shot at Brent. Schwab seemed to want to qualify -Why it happened and he was trying to show how big of a man he was , by fixing the problem. Not the right time also -Maloney seemed very embarrassed by it-it also seemed that Scwab had dictated what was going to be said and Brent had agreed to it- pre arranged IMO.

Not on as well re the penalty-as the penalty far to hard again IMO.. Just hope in 12/13weeks when he plays his 100 for the club thay make him captain for the day and reinstate him permantly back as V/c. In another matter he lead by example last Sunday and Green as a leader has been poor all year so far.History shows at the MFC that Neita was in the same state as Brent was at he Cssino when he had a run in with security.A worse example than Brent's and what was his penalty- as Captain- a so called $5000 fine. Far far to hard-actually ruddy ridiculous.

Edited by jayceebee31

I would trust Schwab to have some insight into Brent that we do not.

If he felt the need to push him to say that, then I trust there is an issue there.

Binge drinking is a form of alcoholism and you are splitting hairs if you are trying to let people (yourselves?) out of that description.

If you cannot have a drink without getting drunk, or you regularly drink to get drunk, you have a problem with booze.

Stop kidding yourselves.

at the end of the day the club only did it out in the public to save face and to send a message to our young list that any sort of crap wont be tolerated. As for binge drinking it is massively an alcoholism issue. Although not needing beers every day, when getting on the sauce and not being able to stop is a big big issue.

Loosing the VC, well so be it. If he was the captian it would be a much larger issue. Hence why he was the VC.

I don't have any problems with what Schwab did. Just seems to be a dose of "tough love" for Beamer.

By making Beamer confess to having a problem with binge drinking in such a public forum it forces him to deal with it as it's not hidden by the four walls of the club.

I prefer this type of honesty and openness from the club, rather than trying to just play down or hide these types of incidents. If such a strong stance isn't taken then it not only damages the clubs reputation, but also those brands and businesses associated with the club. In professional sports, incidents like this are about much more than just the person.

Jimmy's Reach foundation could also be a little damaged had the club not dealt with this issue strongly. I mean, what sort of example would it set if the President of MFC and founder of the Reach Foundation was seen to be soft towards a young man with a binge drinking issue. It would be completely against what Reach tries to achieve by empowering young people and guiding them away from such negative situations.

So, yes if this was some local footy star this would be a harsh punishment, but because this is a professional footballer, who not only represents a club, but a club which other companies and people have invested time and money into, the club needs to act strongly to ensure that it, and those associated with it, are protected.

And let's not fool ourselves here, this isn't a 1st or 2nd yr player, this is a Vice Captain of the team with 9 years in professional football. He should know better.

But why can't the club help him behind the scenes with this problem? Why seemingly force him to "take the stand" and confess in such a public way. It's not like he's a Brendan Fevola type with 28 priors.

It was a dumb act. Okay, announce it and strip him of the VC. But forcing him to admit a binge drinking problem and pushing him to commit to a rehab program within 12 hours of the event? Overkill and more than a bit insensitive on Schwab's part.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moloney and his family were a bit upset about that aspect of the way it was handled.

They will. But there is clearly an issue where a person, a profesional sportsman goes out for dinner and is still drinking 7 hours later to state of inebriation that he does not know what he is doing is as problem.

I am not sure they had to force him as it was a dumb act with dangerous overtones. I would have thought Moloney would have had the sense to address a situation that he admitted has happened a number of times.

I am sure that Moloney and his family would be upset at the issue. He was bl@@dy fool and has himself to blame. From what was said, he was the first to realise the issues.

Fevola would have been a lot better if Carlton and he realised after his first prior that action like this needed to be taken.

I would argue that that probably was not the case. Beamer got busted and has admitted that although he does not drink often, when he does drink it is to excess. Ponting was drunk and made no admissions about his drinking habits... chances are that he was in a similar place as Beamer as far as his drinking habits were concerned; only difference is that he got into a fight and Beamer didn't.

Pure speculation.

Having said that, as with Ponting (and, I suppose, Sylvia), this could be the best thing to have happened to Moloney as it may be just the wake-up call he has needed to reassess and focus himself - hopefully we will now see him start to play his best football on a far more consistent basis. I'm predicting that by the end of this season he will be a far better player (and person) for it and will be back in the leadership group in 2012.

I hope so for the Club and Moloney personally.

I think Scwab was just really angry. He, Jimmy, Bails and Connolly have worked their butts off to undertake the huge challenge to bring this club back from extinction and they don't need their VC (lifelong dees supporter no less) stuffing up like this

I think Scwab was just really angry. He, Jimmy, Bails and Connolly have worked their butts off to undertake the huge challenge to bring this club back from extinction and they don't need their VC (lifelong dees supporter no less) stuffing up like this

That's a very good point, and I can't blame them for that. We have worked our butts off to have a positive, professional image amongst the football community, we don't need little incidents like this to undo all the hard work that hasa been done.

I'm all for having a drink, and I probably suffer from the same symptoms as Beamer at times, but he made an error, and has to deal with the punishment. The Club has put its foot down to enusre that any potential culture like this will not be tolerated.

Agreed, but no more and no less so than your Ponting assertion to which I was responding ;)

Can you name any other issues where Ponting has had problems with alcohol? Moloney admitted he had prior experiences like the recent bar issues where when he drank he drank to a point where he drank too much and could not recall or account for his behaviour...There is a difference. B)

Can you name any other issues where Ponting has had problems with alcohol? Moloney admitted he had prior experiences like the recent bar issues where when he drank he drank to a point where he drank too much and could not recall or account for his behaviour...There is a difference. B)

Take that smug look off your emoticon ;)

As I stated in my initial response "Beamer got busted and has admitted that although he does not drink often, when he does drink it is to excess. Ponting was drunk and made no admissions about his drinking habits" - yes, it is speculation on my part, but just because he made no admission that does not necessarily mean he did not indulge in binge drinking episodes - I get the feeling Moloney may have said nothing about other episodes if he hadn't been prompted.

We are both indulging in speculation - you extrapolated on this to make the assumption that he had no "history", and I did the opposite. No difference. Anyway, in the wash-up, we both seem to agree on the important aspects, so we move on.

Edited by hardtack

That's a very good point, and I can't blame them for that. We have worked our butts off to have a positive, professional image amongst the football community, we don't need little incidents like this to undo all the hard work that hasa been done.

I'm all for having a drink, and I probably suffer from the same symptoms as Beamer at times, but he made an error, and has to deal with the punishment. The Club has put its foot down to enusre that any potential culture like this will not be tolerated.

All true

Pleased to see the majority of posters supporting the club on this one. With leadership comes responsibility - and Beamer has fallen short of the mark. Hopefully he can work his way back from here.

There is an argument to say that he should have been stood down for a game as well - but because ( and to his credit) the Vice Captaincy means a lot to him, the punishment is sufficient.It is open to him to fight back starting with another outstanding game this week.

Edited by hoopla

There is an argument to say that he should have been stood down for a game as well - but because ( and to his credit) the Vice Captaincy means a lot to him, the punishment is sufficient.

I wouldn't mind betting that Schwab, Bails and Jimmy all agreed that dropping him this week would just increase the chances of us losing to GC, and the damage done to the club would be far greater. Wasn't an option.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ... then it's most probably a duck, or getting close to being one.

This isn't just about whether or not it's morally acceptable - yet alone an acceptable way for a professional athlete to treat their body. When the discussion turns to alcohol use and abuse per se, it becomes about physical and psychological health.

Hope that Beamer can work through it. Hard lesson.

What are you talking about. I wasn't talking about beamer or any person in particular, nor any duck.

It was a reference to what binge drinking is, and it is not alcoholism,,,, But the abuse casn turn into a habit, > alcoholism. But they are different.

Just hope in 12/13weeks when he plays his 100 for the club thay make him captain for the day and reinstate him permantly back as V/c.

Its a clear signal we will not tolerate any lapse. Elite performance is going to be required off and on the field.

I hope it sends a signal to our squad we expect elite performance at all levels.

I agree that if he sticks to what he has been doing to date on the field and sticks to a regime off the field then he should be brought back into the group at his 100 for the club.

The Club took a strong stance against that sort of behavior. Consider Moloney's press conference a message to all of the players at the club.

Absolutely, this was his leadership message from a personal experience point of view, a last parting lesson to the young group, from Beamer, for this year.

Hurry back mate.

Why, No. But he's gor a BO problem. As a leader.

I wouldn't mind betting that Schwab, Bails and Jimmy all agreed that dropping him this week would just increase the chances of us losing to GC, and the damage done to the club would be far greater. Wasn't an option.

It was an option. The long-term cultural health of the club is more important than team selection for one game. Geelong was prepared to leave Stevie J out of the side for 6 weeks to make a statement on team culture .... and look at the results.

Having said that, I think the punishment was sufficient.