DEMYSTIFYING TOM SCULLY

Demonland

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you agree with him or not isn't the issue. The issue is that as the MFC's number one ticket holder Barassi is expected to (and should) be pumping the Melbourne angle. That is the role of the number 1 ticket holder. He should be biased to Melbourne in this instance. That is the reason for the anger at what he said and the questions regarding his role as our number 1 ticket holder.

Spot on. They were disgraceful comments from Barassi given his standing at our club at the moment. Seriously what has Barassi done for our club in the last 40 years other than win us a spoon or two in the 80s to warrant being no. 1 ticket holder. Give it to Brian Dixon immediately.

Edited by stranga

Spot on. They were disgraceful comments from Barassi given his standing at our club at the moment. Seriously what has Barassi done for our club in the last 40 years other than win us a spoon or two in the 80s to warrant being no. 1 ticket holder. Give it to Brian Dixon immediately.

Give the Barassi hate a rest. The man is a legend.

He was responsible for bringing out a couple of Irishmen if I recall correctly.

Give the Barassi hate a rest. The man is a legend.

He was responsible for bringing out a couple of Irishmen if I recall correctly.

Fair call on the Irishmen, but i just really feel hes let us down in this instance.

Oh, ok.

Then by all means call the man a disgrace...

Mate have a look at what i wrote, i said the comments were a disgrace not the man. Get your facts straight before getting on your high horse like you always do.

Edited by stranga

Mate have a look at what i wrote, i said the comments were a disgrace not the man. Get your facts straight before getting on your high horse like you always do.

I'll get off my high horse...

Ok, then.

By all means call the well-formed and earned views of Ron a disgrace, intimate that he has done nothing for the club since 1961, call into question his coaching tenure at the Dees (that Northey arguably capitalised on), and call for him to be replaced as an honorary figurehead of little significance (that would cause more embarrassment to the club than whatever comment Ron said).

And I'm back on my high horse...

It's nice up here. I can see everything. Is the ground wet? I wouldn't know, I'm way up here.

Nice horse too. Very tall. Strong hind-quarters. This is a very high horse.

Ease up....RDB was a six time Premiership Player. QED

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Barassi. But I do find his comments somewhat strange, ambiguous and unhelpful in the present situation. In the true spirit of footy it's the ball ( in the form of comments) I play not the man.

Given his personal history and understanding of what happens when a 'chosen one' abandons a club then I for one would have expected (hoped) for something more akin to openly encouraging the lad to embrace this moment in ongoing history and ride the wave of Red & Blue.

Still , even the great ones can get it wrong! Apparently he's mortal after all ;)

I'll get off my high horse...

Ok, then.

By all means call the well-formed and earned views of Ron a disgrace, intimate that he has done nothing for the club since 1961, call into question his coaching tenure at the Dees (that Northey arguably capitalised on), and call for him to be replaced as an honorary figurehead of little significance (that would cause more embarrassment to the club than whatever comment Ron said).

And I'm back on my high horse...

It's nice up here. I can see everything. Is the ground wet? I wouldn't know, I'm way up here.

Nice horse too. Very tall. Strong hind-quarters. This is a very high horse.

I can just make you out from my penthouse rpfc, sure looks a nice horse from here. You must come up sometime....

was talking to a cousin yesterday who is best mates with "adam paulo" melbournes assistant fitness coach. and asked him if he knows anything about "sculls" leaving and adam laughed and said the club is almost 100% sure tom scully will not be leaving.

he said tom has told the club that he has no intentions of going to GWS because he believes it wont help advance and improve him as a footballer. he also said that it was toms management putting off contract negotiations not tom. Tom would resign if he could he said. And that it is expected tom will sign a TWO year contract but obviously not for some time yet.

he is catching up with adam again this week and he will let me no what adam has to say.....

ANYTHING IMPORTANT I WILL POST ON THIS FORUM :)

was talking to a cousin yesterday who is best mates with "adam paulo" melbournes assistant fitness coach. and asked him if he knows anything about "sculls" leaving and adam laughed and said the club is almost 100% sure tom scully will not be leaving.

he said tom has told the club that he has no intentions of going to GWS because he believes it wont help advance and improve him as a footballer. he also said that it was toms management putting off contract negotiations not tom. Tom would resign if he could he said. And that it is expected tom will sign a TWO year contract but obviously not for some time yet.

he is catching up with adam again this week and he will let me no what adam has to say.....

ANYTHING IMPORTANT I WILL POST ON THIS FORUM :)

Still don't quite understand the notion that a player can want to sign, but isn't allowed to by his own management. Makes absolutely zero sense, Tom must have agreed with his management's suggestion to wait until the end of the year to maximise his contract

Still don't quite understand the notion that a player can want to sign, but isn't allowed to by his own management. Makes absolutely zero sense, Tom must have agreed with his management's suggestion to wait until the end of the year to maximise his contract

That also makes me doubt the veracity of the claim. Tom is acting on the advice of his management. If he/his father wanted to sign today , like Marc Murphy, it would be done. This idea of a player wanting one thing but not being able to because manager another ( even though the manager will try to maximise his earnings by getting the biggest pay for his client) is an absolute nonsense. I would be very surprised (horrified, shocked, mortified) if any footballer aged 5 to 50 would sign a contract that would take the decision making ability out of their hands. Sorry - just don't buy it.

Come on guys, it's not that bloody hard.

Tom would be happy to sign now, if it weren't for the advice of his management that it's better to wait until the end of the season, to see how the tv deal plays out and how his value rises.

That's fair and sensible.

If I was in Tom's shoes, I'd wish I could know now what those outcomes would be, so I could fairly negotiate a deal in the next week.

But that's impossible, so it's... impossible.

And I very much doubt the kid will hold the club over a barrel and try to squeeze every last drop out.

He just wants a fair contract, like anyone else would. His performance in 2011 & the tv deal will determine what is "fair".

Nothing at all wrong with that.

Just try putting yourself in his shoes -- he's not an expert in these matters, he just plays football.

The smart thing to do is to defer to those who do have experience in these things.

Tom would be happy to sign now, if it weren't for the advice of his management that it's better to wait until the end of the season, to see how the tv deal plays out and how his value rises.

If I was in Tom's shoes, I'd wish I could know now what those outcomes would be, so I could fairly negotiate a deal in the next week.

And I very much doubt the kid will hold the club over a barrel and try to squeeze every last drop out.

He just wants a fair contract, like anyone else would. His performance in 2011 & the tv deal will determine what is "fair".

Just try putting yourself in his shoes -- he's not an expert in these matters, he just plays football.

The smart thing to do is to defer to those who do have experience in these things.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

It's hard when you are coming at it from the angle that it's not about what is best for Tom but what is best to sooth the supporters fears.

People just need to step back and look at it a bit more dispassionately and it will make more sense.

I've completely lost track of the point of this thread.

Something about Tom Scully riding a mysterious clydsedale to Ron Barassi's penthouse?

Anyway, speaking of Ron Barassi; great man, but I noticed he put his foot in his mouth a bit the other day. Poured a bit of fuel on a fire that nobody wanted burning, least of all Tom Scully, I'd guess. If his opinion on the matter is ambivalent, one would suggest that's a case for not giving the club your associated with the right irrits.

Somewhere in a pethouse out there, there is a tiny horse riding around frantically trying to get out of a great big teacup, because the weather in there is terrible.

If the Demons have a bit of money in their 'additional services agreements' package, they could do worse than to throw it at Tom as a sweetener with an 'I signed on, now it's your turn' membership drive.

Or maybe something a little more emotive, like a big picture of Tom looking serious yet confident, with the slogan 'I believe'.

Agree keyser and that's a post worth adding twice. sculls will probably re-sign and if he doesn't we will still have a great team - topped up by the additional draft picks we'll get for him... at the end of the day we play in the AFL and for or better or worse we have to play by their rules (ie the AFL giveth, the AFL taketh away...). If they want to expand its going to cost existing teams some talent. It's bad because scully might be the next judd... but watts looks a lot like the next carey (on the field), trengove the next hird and jurrah the next ablett/whoknowsweveneverseenanyonelikehimbefore.... soo while losing scully will hurt us all - it may not be the end of the world/cost us a flag (or so i tell myself to get to me to sleep at night oh god........). buuut he will probably re-sign. i reckon.

This makes sense - deferring to his management - as long as someone doesnt try to sell me the pup as stated earlier, that he would sign now if he could but he cant because of his management. I would think that any footballer would like this sort of thing out the way but it makes perfect sense to defer to his managements' expertise. It just doesnt make us feel any better

This makes sense - deferring to his management - as long as someone doesnt try to sell me the pup as stated earlier, that he would sign now if he could but he cant because of his management. I would think that any footballer would like this sort of thing out the way but it makes perfect sense to defer to his managements' expertise. It just doesnt make us feel any better

Are u serious mate im trying to provide some good information from someone inside the club and your trying to tell me its "pup" you dont even no what your talking about

its not hard for "most" to understand tom is set on staying at melbourne but his management has told him not resign "yet" to try and provide tom with the best contract possible.

if you have a problem with what i post, i wont bother seeing its from someone inside the club. no appreciation what so ever!!!

Don't take offence Jamoose, there are those on here who will have the attitude of Nutbean but that is not representative of everyone. There are many different sides to this story and it's good to hear them all. Some people will be immediately dismissive, it's just the nature of the beast round here.

Are u serious mate im trying to provide some good information from someone inside the club and your trying to tell me its "pup" you dont even no what your talking about

its not hard for "most" to understand tom is set on staying at melbourne but his management has told him not resign "yet" to try and provide tom with the best contract possible.

if you have a problem with what i post, i wont bother seeing its from someone inside the club. no appreciation what so ever!!!

Take note of the difference between your first post and Keyser's last post.

That he may want to sign and get this over with but he is heeding the advice of his management - I have no problem with that premise

But to state as you did - that he wants to sign but his management won't let him is a nonsense. Dustin Martin signed early, Marc Murphy signed early. Managers answer to players not the other way around. Make no mistake that if Tom Scully wanted to sign right now it would be done.

As much as it kills me, I understand why his management is advising him to hold. It is easy for me to understand that he may want to sign, it is easy for me to understand what his management have told him and it is easy to understand that management are looking to get the best possible contract.

Unless I misread your post - you were trying to make it sound like Tom Scully had no say in the matter - I completely agree with Keyser in that he is "heeding the advice of his management" - after all, thats what you pay them for.

Edited by nutbean

Don't take offence Jamoose, there are those on here who will have the attitude of Nutbean but that is not representative of everyone. There are many different sides to this story and it's good to hear them all. Some people will be immediately dismissive, it's just the nature of the beast round here.

I hope I have shown some logic in this whole 1000's post thread. The only thing I am dimissive of is the premise that Tom Scully really wants to sign with us but his management won't let him.

Can you imagine any contract that takes the decision making ability away from the footballer and gives it to the manager. I cant think of anyone who would agree with that.

I have said on this site countless times - I fully appreciate his managements stance on delaying and I even appreciate Tom heeding the advice of his management but please spare me the idea that Tom is saying " if it wasnt for my damned management I would have already signed by now"

This is the only part of the post I have a problem with

"toms management putting off contract negotiations not tom. Tom would re-sign if he could he said."

Give me a break.

Edited by nutbean