Game Night

Demonland

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so- re the SEN commentary, however listening to Russell on Foxtel was just down right woeful. I think everone was rusty tonight, although I thought the umpiring was quite good. Great effort by our players to get through. I agree re pressure for spots to play.Great to have that position.

No fun listening to Dwayne at all!

Good night for football even allowing for the format. Cook I liked, Strauss continues to look extremely hesitant.

10 years of waiting and 2 wins in Adelaide in one night, I'll take that.

Nothing wrong with Strauss's game, it always amazes me that people judge young players and form opinions that make them look for any negative they can find instead of focusing on the good signs they show.

You and DH summed it up perfectly - just a little hesitant, but otherwise you can't be negative about him. It's only his third game after all.

Anyway, this just about sums up my mood tonight (note: you'd probably need to know the song Barbra Streisand, and by that, I mean the song 'Barbra Streisand', not a song by Barbra Streisand :P) - http://gobarbra.com/hit/new-15e86b663248f9426a15e00c8d9eb3c7

Crap, I'm addicted to something else now.

Really impressed by Garland, Bartram, Grimes, Macdonald down back. They along with Rivers and a couple of others should hold us steady down back until Frawley returns.

The midfield I thought was a bit poor in both games. Sylvia had a good second game. Every time he went near it Trengove showed his class. But not much from Moloney except free kicks against. Still have Jones/McKenzie/Scully and Gysberts as inside mids to come back in. Jetta seemed to play a bit up the ground and was another to impress.

As for the rucks Jamar struggled to win a hitout (but was his usual strong presence around the ground). Spencer dropped a few easy marks, but kicked something close to a reasonable drop punt a one a few impressive hitouts. Martin looks good and his versatility was on show.

Up forward Green looked a handful at times. Jurrah was his usual amazing self. Maric has improved his work rate and the rest of his game might come with more AFL exposure. Dunn I didn't see much of. Bate looks fit but his forward pressure is still not adequate for my likings. Cook was a big tick on debut. He moved pretty well and appears to have nice strong hands. McDonald we didn't see much of but he looked ok same with Howe. Enough has been said about Watts already.

I think that leaves me with just 2 of the rookies. Firstly Evans looked great. Kicks on both sides of his body, reads the play well. Not sure what spot he'd go in the team but he seemed to show a bit of class. Nicholson also looked very good. Head over the ball stuff was good from him.

You and DH summed it up perfectly - just a little hesitant, but otherwise you can't be negative about him. It's only his third game after all.

Anyway, this just about sums up my mood tonight (note: you'd probably need to know the song Barbra Streisand, and by that, I mean the song 'Barbra Streisand', not a song by Barbra Streisand :P) - http://gobarbra.com/hit/new-15e86b663248f9426a15e00c8d9eb3c7

Crap, I'm addicted to something else now.

i tried it with austin wonaeamirri but it kept crashing lol

Love Grimes

How good was Garland tonight!

Watts and Jurrah both exciting.

I was really happy with Maric, Can see him only improving.

A lot of positives in the night.

Specially with some good players missing still.

AS for the out of bounds rule, surely this will be the only year it ever occurs surely.

One ignorant Crows supporter claimed on the net after the game that Adelaide was 'a very weakened team playing against a FULL STRENGTH Melbourne team!' Ha, funny Ha!

Edited by bobby mckenzie

Just got home, obviously no0t goint to canvas the thread. Best for mine:

In a week were everyone focused on the Scull, a few blokes put their hands up and said 'WHAT ABOUT ME?'

Trengove best. He was everywhere, 'I am yet to see a single flaw' was how he was described by a leading SA reccruiter at the time of his drafting. I didnt see one either tonight.

Watts second. He is only getting started, pure class with almost everything he did tonight.

Jurrah, he just went out there and played the role of Jurrah. Pure magic wehenrver he goes near it. Who else can gather his own smaother and set up a goal like that, what a complete freak, he has started early this year.

Others

: Maric showed he can be an AFL forard pocket. Joeal MacDonald did what he ahs done since he turned up which is be a hard, reliable backman. Sylvia and Davey both did what they do wek in week out. Grimes also impressed.

Man we kicked ass to0night. Let me remind you we have lost the last 15 games in a row at AAMI. Made them both look second rate tonight, even after a difficult week. I am so proud.

GO DEES

oh yeah forgot to mention the bloke who took a couple of gave savers late in the piece. Everyone at the pub knew who it was when i went 'GARLOOOOOOO!'

Edited by Curry & Beer

Loved the way the back line worked together last night, Rivers was solid, Macdonald was a rock and Garland was brilliant. Batram showed a bit of dash as did Bennell. To think we have an AA to put back in there just wets the pants a little.

Cook looks like he could develop into a nifty CHF, nice strong pair of hands. The rookies Evans and Nicholson impressed and my man Jetta done some nice things and has the moves to get himself into space.

So many encouraging things to come out of last nights mutant of an AFL game/s- the rules were [censored] and proved more of a hindrance than a help, and we got absolutely SHAFTED game one re umpiring decisions- game two was a little better in that regard although we did get the rough end a couple of times (felt sorry for Nicholson who was adjudicated to play on when he got pushed in the back, and then holding the ball straight after) and it could have turned things against us, but the boys 'stuck fat'

Errant kicking from both teams kept us in the games but it was our endeavour that got us over the line. Make no mistake we got smashed in the clearances even though from what I saw we won our fair share of the tap-outs. The absence of Scully hurt us as it appeared most of the tap outs were tailor made for the little fella. Adelaide also smashed us in F50 entries until Sylvia and co got their little rocket boots on.

I believe the most encouraging aspect of last nights game was the arrival of Mr Watts. First pre-season since joining the club and it is starting to show.

The contentious boundary rules are only in place for week one, and thank [censored] for that!

Really impressed with Garland, looks to be the player stepping up in Frawley's absence. MacDonald worth a mention also, both very much played their hearts out in defence and very effective. Along with Grimes' usual greatness, not really as noticeable as the other 2 but definitely impacted both games. Really hoping Grimes can keep his body right and string together his first full season, could easily be the difference in making finals. Will be interesting to see if Matty Warnock can work his way into the squad for round 1, he initially came across as the best replacement for Frawley but I have to say the current defence looked very good on Friday.

Jetta took a big step up in claiming a spot in the starting 22, he really looked hungry and played accordingly. Have liked what I have seen from Jetta since day dot at the club and would love to see him get more senior opportunities this year, x-factor can't be taught and he certainly has plenty of it. Maric appeared to step up a bit also, though aside from the 2 nearly identical snap-goals in the first game, as good as they were, he didn't seem to do a whole lot else. Not yet sold on Addam and not really any closer after his NAB cup outing.

Jurrah. Awesome. Capable of being one of the biggest names in the game and certainly looks like he'll give Franklin a run for his money. Only early days yet, but the glimpses are fairly convincing.

Personal highlights were probably the Watts moments, he is a different player to last year, as he was to the year before. The evolution is phenomenal, I know it's only the pre-season but he is really showing what he is going to become and it's exciting times for the club. He is well on his way to becoming the clear-cut #1 from the 2008 draft.

Very enjoyable (half) games of footy and loved having Melbourne play the first 2 NAB cup games of the year, not nearly as much as seeing both games won. It's a young list and my expectations aren't through the roof, though I am still really excited about the 2011 season.

Edited by Deez Nutz

Guest DeesPower

Couple of points:

1. The overall performance Friday night was great, especially since it was at AAMI.

2. We are all going to have great fun this year watching Liam, Brad, Jack, Ricky, the Russian, and Austin tear sides apart up forward. It is a long time since the Dees have had such a classy forward set up. The thing I like best about them is their very high conversion rate. When we get our midfield firing we'll be unstoppable.

3. We have a bit of patchwork to do down back while waiting for Chip and Warnock to return. Strauss in my view is a dumb footballer. He may have some good skills but his decision making is simply not up to scratch. Neither is Tom MacNamara's. I would not play either of them again in the NAB Cup and let them learn their trade at Casey. Nicholson and Evans though showed great promise as did Macdonald.

Over the nexttwo weeks we are likely to get several players back - notably Scully, Jones, Pettard and a fully fit Bleeze. Neither macnamara nor Strauss should be selected again in these circumstances.

The future though looks really bright. Great time to be a demon supporter.

Edited by DeesPower