MFC Training 7/1/2011 

Maldonboy38

Just got back from watching the boys train at Casey Fields. Really windy and starting to get warm by the time I left at 10:15am.

Warm-up was again interesting to watch. A lot of banter but when it came to the 5 metre sprint it ended up being competitive, and just like last time it was Nathan Jones who initiated the competitiveness. I like watching him train. Enthusiastic, showing genuine leadership ability but fiercly competitive in every drill. Most of us remember him as of a couple of years ago - lots of grunt and able to get a lot of the footy but probably the worst decision maker we had a MFC for a long time. That Nathan Jones is fast disappearing and being replaced by the new Nathan Jones and I like what I see. At one point he referred to Stef Martin as "the Hoff" - a new nickname I think.

Jordan Gysberts spent a lot of time with the running coach, probably half an hour or more. The poor bloke must have been exhausted but he joined the main group for positioning drills later in the session. His balance and poise are of a high quality and his decision-making when options are presented is first class. I hope he can get into the 22 and stay there - a real talent. When the competitive drills started up, he went back to running 100 and 200 metres at about 3/4 pace. He'll sleep well tonight.

Robbie Campbell did some solo work with one of the trainers but limped off just before 10am. Didn't look good at all. I saw him later in the change rooms on his own doing some work on what looked like a rowing machine.

Standouts today: 

The new fella Tom Macdonald looked great. A naturally big frame but light on with muscle. He runs well, leads well and presents as a footballer as much as an athlete. Super impressive and I can't wait to see what he becomes.

Watts is laconic when he is resting but his skill level, pace and decision making put him in the elite group of players at our club. He is still light in weight but this is his natural build. It looks like he and Lucas Cook get on real well - often choosing each other when pairing up for drills as required.

During the competitive match-play drill using handball nets as goals, Col Sylvia was the standout. Very competitive and imposing himself physically. He monstered a couple of the other players and got up smiling. He has developed a level of excellence a bit later than most, but I reckon he might be able to blow the game apart in a similar fashion to Brendon Goddard but in a more explosive manner. He looks ready to kill.

The big fellas:

Jake Spencer is quickly becoming HUGE. He is faster than I thought and trains with a genuine intensity but his kicking is going to limit his long-term usefulness. That atrocious ball drop of his gives opposition players extra time to spoil and make him clumsy.

Jack Fitzpatrick. I think he might even be the quickest at the club over 100 metres - he really is quick. He marks well and his positioning is good but for me, his skills are average at best and from here I can't see him making it. Too many other big fellas more advanced in their development.

Stef Martin. Could be a movie star and is very athletic for a bloke his size. I thought today, considering it was really windy, that his skiils showed geniuine improvement. When the boys separated into forwards, mids and defenders, he went with the forwards which I thought was a bit surprising. It was here his skills showed improvement. Let's wait and see.

Robbie Cambell- see above.

Max Gawn. I reckon we have a beauty here. He has a good set of standard skills from which he can build, without any major technical flaws. My 15 yo daughter came with me today and she was surprised that he was as designated ruckman because his skills were so clean. She quickly picked up the average skills of the other big boys.

Cale Morton had a shocker. His kicking was way off, at one point did four clangers in a row and was really down on himself. When he runs he is super-quick and at times looks like a footballer but I have some serious question marks over him being a start-up in our best 22.

The midfield training group were interesting. The pattern seemed to be that the ruckman brought it down to a midfielder who gave it to a runner, who kicks/handballs to the ruckman who had sprinted forward. This is where Spencer's pace but average skills stood out. I wonder if this means the game plan includes the ruckman pushing forward more often? If it does, we have to improve the skills of our big boys. IMO, the improvement in our midfield comes down to 2 things. Quality drafting and Scott West. The way we set up and operate at stoppages was the best it has been in years in 2010 and West seems to go by unnoticed. I hope we can keep him all the way through to a flag. 

Wonna was not at practice today and may still be in Darwin. I hope he is not away too much longer, he is a vital part of our front half.

Dunny's legs are the size of my midriff and I am suffering from middle-age-spread! He looks strong, aggressive and set to really get at opposition players. 

Matty Bate's kicking was a highlight. Very sure, very accurate, penetrating and wasn't troubled too much with the wind. However, like Cale Morton I am struggling to see him in our best 22. His footskills might be the difference that keeps him in the team.

Last time I went to training at Casey, I posted about Tom Scully's excellent training habits. Well, I have to rave again. He is lightening fast, sure with his hands, intense, and a model of a professional when training. He is also the only player without red hair who can't get a suntan. His is simply a gun and I can't wait to see him sprinting out of the middle on the MCG in 2011.

Come on NAB Cup, hurry up and start!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks. Don't know how I would survive the off season without the efforts of loyal fans getting down to training and reporting on demonland :)

My pleasure. I am also a test cricket tragic but this year I have experienced no cricket love at all. I was dying for the Dees training session today just for some news.

Great write up Maldonboy38; this is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to Demonland.

Were Jurrah and Bail training with the main group? Neither had been completing full sessions from what I saw last year, just wondering if they were there others.

Cheers!

Thanks for an excellent report, Maldonboy!

I agree with your summary on most players and particularly Stef Martin.

We need tall forwards and cover for Jamar so its either playing forward or not playing for him for mine - he is surprisingly quick for a big guy and should have good hands. I remain optimistic about his prospects.

Re Spencer there are very few guys his size that I really want to have field kicking - isnt his role to take a mark and handoff?

I cant agree on Fitpatrick - quick, big and versatile and did okay last year playing VFL - reads the play well - we will see.

Cheers and thanks again.

Did you see this?

Just posted from Nathan Jones' Twitter.

‎"On Friday 7th January 2011, @nathan2jones said:

2 swat cops came down to training today! Flashy davey set up LJ a beauty, getting an official from the club to go up and say to him there here for you!! Your car is unregistered!! His face was classic! Priceless moment..."

"could be a movie star"..?!

If Campbell hurt his leg / foot / anything that would cause him to limp, then there is no way he'd be using a rowing machine.

Maybe just a bit of general soreness if it was an ergo, or it may have been a pilates machine? I know they have hundreds of the bloody things in the gym at AAMI Park.

I was there today also and Maldonboy has already provided a fantastic write up above which I agree with - but I think that Bate and defiantly Morton are definitely important members of the team who will have significant parts to play going into the future.

I am NOT accusing Maldonboy of this, but I feel some unreasonable criticism is undeservingly levelled at some of our players on the websites and at games. Some of the opinions written and said about Nathan Jones when his contract process dragged on were utterly ridiculous. Bate's 2010 was hampered by an interrupted preseason and injuries, yeah, he struggled for form but he did pretty much hold the team together in 2009. Morton is an elite runner who has great skills and is not even 21 yet! He was injured early 2010 but still played some good footy.

When I rolled up and saw the cops in jumpsuits I did not know what could be going on, but they were just watching training, Chris C even took them up into the rooms to show them around it seemed.

A big standout today was Bennell, his speed and skills were great and he may be given more of a shot in the midfield this year, he makes position so well.

I did not sight Wonna today and just a hunch is that he might be up at Rioli's funeral, Wonna's old man was big in NT footy and he MIGHT be up there on behalf of his family.

There was quite a lot of different activities going on today, the group had been divided up into 3 teams and there was about 10 players who had not been included due to an individual program or some rehab, of these: Jamar spent some time on the bike watching on, Jurrah ran a few laps while the others had a drill on, Jordie Gyz ran laps working on his pre-Xmas hammy, Tappy and Gawn seems to have a couple of separate things going on, Campbell did very little, that is what you get when you have a chronic knee injury.

Some of the drills they were doing today were very complicated and one in front of me almost went down the gurgler as it had a big number of the new guys in it until Jordie MacKenzie rescued it with some fantastic kicking and running. He is a cracking player.

Apparently Maric has been going well but there was no sign of that today, dropping marks. Obviously, he has got to do something pretty special this year but he is up against some good players for his spot, some younger and seemingly more confident than him.

Blease continues to work hard, even if he did have a bit of trouble getting the hand of a 4 on 4 drill today.

Dan Nicholson did some great things in a competitive drill, he has smarts and a few tricks that got him around some more seasoned players.

I think the movie star observation on Stef Martin might be regarding his impressive physique and his 'movie star' good looks, but might be wrong there.

Dunn and Juice stayed on after training for some set shot and they both slotted a few wind assisted goalskis from on and outside 50. It has been said before, but how Juice has been able to hang on is amazing, I reckon is he was a touch shorter, he would have been toast at the end of last season.

Great write up Maldonboy38; this is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to Demonland.

Were Jurrah and Bail training with the main group? Neither had been completing full sessions from what I saw last year, just wondering if they were there others.

Cheers!

Both Jurrah and Bail trained with the main group for much of the session, but Jurrah also spent a good 1/2 hour running. I didn't get a good look at Bail - I always seemed to be on the wrong side of the oval. When I was leaving I watched him for about a minute, and then the teams changed and he was across the ground again. I am a huge fan of Rohan Bail(check my favourite players on my profile). His run and carry could give the Dees a player like Paul Williams, especially when he went to Sydney. His skills are not in the Davey/Watts/Green class, but then few are. What I do think is important is he can kick at full pace and the delivery is the same as if he had settled. Put Grimes, Scully and Bail together and few teams could counter the run produced from these three.

I hate hearing Watts (or any player on our list) described as laconic. Makes me worry he won't reach his potential, at least at a consistent level. Was he showing intensity during the drills?

Morton had a year to forgot last year and I'm also worried about him being as good as I hoped earlier in his career. I was surprised to see him on the January page of the calendar. Heaps of potential but needs to step up this year.

It's a shame that Gysberts & Tapscott aren't at full training because I'm looking forward to seeing them spend time in the team this year.

Red and Blue Bloke: when you say Jamar spent some time on the bike watching on, is that all he did or was he training with the group as well?

Both Jurrah and Bail trained with the main group for much of the session, but Jurrah also spent a good 1/2 hour running. I didn't get a good look at Bail - I always seemed to be on the wrong side of the oval. When I was leaving I watched him for about a minute, and then the teams changed and he was across the ground again. I am a huge fan of Rohan Bail(check my favourite players on my profile). His run and carry could give the Dees a player like Paul williams was, especially when he went to Sydney. His skills are not in the Davey/Watts/Green class, but then few are. What I do think is important is he can kick at full pace and the delivery is the same as if he had settled. Put Grimes, Scully and Bail together and few teams could counter the run produced from these three.

Morton, Garland, Trengove, Blease, Dunn, Sylvia, Jones, Bate, Bennell... we will run teams off their feet.

I hate hearing Watts (or any player on our list) described as laconic. Makes me worry he won't reach his potential, at least at a consistent level. Was he showing intensity during the drills?

Morton had a year to forgot last year and I'm also worried about him being as good as I hoped earlier in his career. I was surprised to see him on the January page of the calendar. Heaps of potential but needs to step up this year.

It's a shame that Gysberts & Tapscott aren't at full training because I'm looking forward to seeing them spend time in the team this year.

Red and Blue Bloke: when you say Jamar spent some time on the bike watching on, is that all he did or was he training with the group as well?

MFCSS

It's funny how we can see things differently.

I thought that Maric and Morton were standouts today. I didn't see every single play they made and there may have been the odd mistake in terribly difficult windy conditions, but they both ran and tackled very well at great pace and were heavily involved in all drills. Some players like Sammy Blease have great skill, but struggle with their positioning and getting their hands on the footy. Morton and Maric didn't have these issues and Maric's second efforts and kicking were highlights. Morton must be 195cms now. There was virtually no difference in height with he and Watts. Watts would have been at best 1 cm taller. Morton is training with the mids and could be a real weapon with his improved marking, endurance and decent legspeed. Maric trained with the forwards and there's no doubt that Grimes will once again play in defence.

There was much love from one poster about Jones, but his kicking skills let him down today, but as I said, the conditions were very difficult.

Gysberts didn't train a full session, but he did take part in some of the early drills. The only knock I have on him is the occasional kicking error, but today his passing was pinpoint, as acknowledged a couple of times by supportive teammates.

Trengove looked great today. We know that he doesn't have express pace, but he's not slow and his skills are superb. He has a real footy brain and is starting to build an impressive physique. Scully was Scully. McKenzie was very good. He's just getting better and better. As his confidence grows so will he as a player.

Tapscott didn't do full training, but he did do the drill with the handball nets at each end and I really liked what I saw. Clean skills, good positioning, and great kicking.

Nicholson is fast with class. He's training with the backs and looks a find. I also liked the look of the ginger, Cam Johnson.

I wouldn't be writing off Fitzpatrick. His kicking had improved markedly from what I saw last year. Max Gawn moves like a midfielder for such a tall.

Jurrah's body is sometimes occupied by a wierd cousin that makes him look the opposite of the freak we regularly see, but it was the real Jurrah today. No fumbling, good hands, and superb kicking. There are varying reports that he's 188cms (MFC website) and 191cms. He stood right next to Bate during pretraining stretching and there was no difference in height, if anything, he was a fraction taller. So let me put paid to any doubt, he's at least 191cms as Bate is listed at 192.

I also liked the look of Troy Davis. In one of the simulations he was paired with Frawley in defence and he looked very sure. He made good decisions, moves well and showed decent skills.

Frawley was great. One always feels comfortable with the ball in his hands.

I like Bail as a footballer. His pace and determination are assets.

So yeah, I disagree with a couple of earlier reports.

"could be a movie star"..?!

If Campbell hurt his leg / foot / anything that would cause him to limp, then there is no way he'd be using a rowing machine.

Maybe just a bit of general soreness if it was an ergo, or it may have been a pilates machine? I know they have hundreds of the bloody things in the gym at AAMI Park.

Training was at Casey today not AAMI and Campbell definitely limped off, I spoted that also. I cant really add much more to the other reports. For anyone else that went today did you guys see Scully and Mckenzie doing the warm up kicking at the start? Scullys kicking was the best Ive ever seen. Absolute bullets to Mckenzies chest over about 30mtrs.

Thanks for the reports everybody.

It was reported on Wednesday that Mark Jamar was just walking laps. I don't think anyone has mentioned him in today's training reports. Did anyone see him at Casey today?

He was involved with a few drills then went and did his own thing. He looked as fit as ever. I'd say he's just watching his work load.

GGR - Little disagreement with me other than Maric - it was a slick training session and he stood out to me for dropping a number of marks.

Jamar seemed to stand out from a couple of drills and spent this time on the bike. The rest of the time he was doing the same as the rest of the group. Probably just pacing him a bit due to big year past and ahead.

Trengove has thickened up through the waist and legs significantly and looked strong. At the start of last year, there was not a huge amount of difference between his and Scully's body shapes, but there sure is now. JT looks headed toward a Robert Harvey sort, while Skulls could end up as a slightly shorter Judd shape. I am using these comparisons for their body shapes, but I reckon the playing styles are not far off either. Big comparisons I know, but they both were very impressive last year. Both looked great today, but Skulls turn of pace/agility and kicking are very eye catching.

Howe looks very comfortable in the group and kept up his part in the drills, not jumping over packs and standing on shoulders yet!

Thanks for the reports everybody.

It was reported on Wednesday that Mark Jamar was just walking laps. I don't think anyone has mentioned him in today's training reports. Did anyone see him at Casey today?

Yes - I reported him only doing laps only - he did laps only with Jurrah joining him for some handball practice after Jurrah completed main drill. I was told yesterday he has a sore calf.

Yes - I reported him only doing laps only - he did laps only with Jurrah joining him for some handball practice after Jurrah completed main drill. I was told yesterday he has a sore calf.

Thanks everyone. I've just arrived back from my end of year travels and I can't wait to get a look at training myself. I assume it's on again at Casey next week?

GGR - Little disagreement with me other than Maric - it was a slick training session and he stood out to me for dropping a number of marks.

Fair enough, I only saw him drop one, but it's difficult when one is browsing 40 players. I liked many of the things he did today and I've seen enough to know that for his size he's actually quite strong overhead. I'm more interested in his intensity, running patterns, involvement, kicking, etc, than a few spilt marks.