Guest lambtotheslaughter

Watching Travis play was a truly exciting experience

He had more space and time than the starship Enterprise

Good luck in whatever you get up to mate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was spewing when we took TJ at 1 as 6'6" forward/Ruck Ottens was the other option .

Was even more convinced we had made an error when I saw the stupid expression on his face when named 1st pick .

Having said that Ottens has been a frustrating under achiever aswell IMO .

No it's not.

I know what you are trying to say but I would hope that Scully, Trengove, and Watts achieve a great deal more than TJ.

Actually you're right. I mis-spoke when I said "win."

What I was trying to say was that given that many picks are busts (#1 picks are no less susceptible to it, even in the NFL where recruiting is a religion), the fact that we got a first rounder and 10 years of service, including a couple of very, very good years means he wasn't a "bust." But to say it was a "win..." Well in the context of the Goddards and Riewoldts... obviously that's a bit rich.

I saw an article not long ago that went into the bet #1 picks in history since the draft began. While I understand drafting was a far more inexact science years ago, it's still worth mentioning he was somewhere around the middle. Maybe in the top 10 somewhere. There's no shame in that. No great honour either... but no shame.

More so elite sportsmen - at least many of them

It partly what makes them different from the run of the mill sportsmen

Anyway, I have a lot more faith in the current FD than previous ones. Lets hope they continue to live up to their improved performance

Me too DC unlike St kilda!

Did you see Chief recruiter at the saints has left. Pushed do you think?

just happens to be a coincide with the discovery that one of their draftees ( Jamie Cripps ) suffers from Diabetes.

Do you think someone at the saints missed something in their research!

Seems There has been a big clean out at the saints, 6 from the FD this year.

Edited by old dee

just happens to be a coincide with the discovery that one of their draftees ( Jamie Cripps ) suffers from Diabetes.

The Cripps issue is unfortunate and unusual and the condition may have emerged only post draft.

However, the Saints drafting and trading over the last 5 years has been ordinary to say the least. So its no surprise heads would roll there.

The Cripps issue is unfortunate and unusual and the condition may have emerged only post draft.

However, the Saints drafting and trading over the last 5 years has been ordinary to say the least. So its no surprise heads would roll there.

You are correct Rhino it appears they only discovered it after Cripps attended his first training session.

My info is that most people knew of his problem the exception was St kilda, seems no one in the recruiting department either knew or did they did not inform the coach etc. prior to the draft!

Either way I think it was the straw that broke the camels back.

RL it appears has been unhappy with this area for some time.

He had better win one in the next couple of years as he has cleaned out just about everyone from before his time.

Edited by old dee

Thanks Trav.

You lazy good for nothing bum.

Take a deep breath H,

The guy did not live up to his No.1 status however he played a lot of good games for the Dees

and hardly deserves that.

And remember it is only a game and it is December.

Chill out Christmas is only 14 days away.

Do you think someone at the saints missed something in their research!

Seems There has been a big clean out at the saints, 6 from the FD this year.

Things looking a little unsettled at a few of the front-running clubs. Cracks appearing everywhere.

Aints, Dogs and Cats. Will be interesting to see if it translates on the field next year.

You are correct Rhino it appears they only discovered it after Cripps attended his first training session.

My info is that most people knew of his problem the exception was St kilda, seems no one in the recruiting department either knew or did they did not inform the coach etc. prior to the draft!

Either way I think it was the straw that broke the camels back.

RL it appears has been unhappy with this area for some time.

He had better win one in the next couple of years as he has cleaned out just about everyone from before his time.

Unless a player divulges it or you get this information from a "reliable source", I dont think Clubs can force a medical examination on a player. However in good faith this should be something disclosed from an OHS perspective.

Nevetheless their drafting, recruiting (Lovett :rolleyes: ) and meandering over Cousins just does not reflect well on the Club. Whlist other elements of the FD may have an input on trading, drafting really should be the domain of the head recruiter. And they have not done well there.

Thanks Trav.

You lazy good for nothing bum.

Sometimes you are a tad subtle. B)

20/20 hindsight vision is great but who else would you of picked #1 in that draft?

Ottens or Croad? Maybe. Black or goodes yes but both were not rated back in the day and went high. Power?

Looking at the options I reckon Trav J was still a pretty good pick. Good on Trav, hopefully you keep the beard

I think you are right, Ottens I think went at no.2 to Richmond.

He never produced at the Tigers and they eventually flung him.

I think we got the better of those two.

As numerous people have said drafting is not an exact science.

Lots of players drafted in the top ten only ever become average players.

But higher picks like Goodes become Brownlow winners!

Funny how for a player that played 160 games for us he's best remembered for only 60 minutes of it.

Hardly funny! More like sad or disappointing ........ and I'd be very surprised if Travis doesn't view it the same way. An outstanding, but (sadly) wasted talent.

I think you are right, Ottens I think went at no.2 to Richmond.

He never produced at the Tigers and they eventually flung him.

I think we got the better of those two.

As numerous people have said drafting is not an exact science.

Lots of players drafted in the top ten only ever become average players.

But higher picks like Goodes become Brownlow winners!

We had Jeff White so we did not need Ottens at the time.

Suffered back injuries early on and his initial years were typical of a young ruckman growing into the role. Was traded for 2 first round picks so he was hardly flung at all. It was part of the deal that ulitimately lead to Beamer coming to MFC.

Was a key element in the Cats premiership run as No 1 ruckman.

Far better performer than TJ by a street.(And not Peter Street).

TJ was the standout junior footballer of his year but these days his gameboy character would see him as a 1st round pick and not a number one pick.

We had Jeff White so we did not need Ottens at the time.

Suffered back injuries early on and his initial years were typical of a young ruckman growing into the role. Was traded for 2 first round picks so he was hardly flung at all. It was part of the deal that ulitimately lead to Beamer coming to MFC.

Was a key element in the Cats premiership run as No 1 ruckman.

Far better performer than TJ by a street.(And not Peter Street).

TJ was the standout junior footballer of his year but these days his gameboy character would see him as a 1st round pick and not a number one pick.

Rhino luck is a fortune.

He arrived at Geelong at just the right time.

If you look at his performances at the Cats he has had about 20 good games which happen to be finals performances over 2- 3 years in Championship teams.

The first year at Geelong everyone was saying they gave away far too much to get him.

Reminds me of Jack Hawkins.

In any other club he would be delisted by now.

Just lucked out on being around in the great Geelong era.

Both will fad away when Geelong drops this year.

considering we followed trav up the next yr with Chris Lamb...21 games. we probably lucked out.

but you know what. past is the past...trav opened a door for another young melbourne star.

hopefully he flourishes.

thanks trav. ill miss you :)

Rhino luck is a fortune.

He arrived at Geelong at just the right time.

The first year at Geelong everyone was saying they gave away far too much to get him.

Reminds me of Jack Hawkins.

In any other club he would be delisted by now.

Just lucked out on being around in the great Geelong era.

Both will fad away when Geelong drops this year.

Luck??? :wacko: They traded for him as he is one of the links missing in their pursuit of premierships.

With every trade there is always the sniggering. Guess who had the last laugh with 2 flags?

He is nothing like Jack Hawkins at all.

If you look at his performances at the Cats he has had about 20 good games which happen to be finals performances over 2- 3 years in Championship teams.

On that basis alone, a player who performs in finals is worth gold. Even more reason why he was better than gameboy Travis.

On that basis alone, a player who performs in finals is worth gold. Even more reason why he was better than gameboy Travis.

Similar to Clarke Keating from the Lions , seemed to only get his shoulder right at finals time .

Similar to Clarke Keating from the Lions , seemed to only get his shoulder right at finals time .

May have been the case for 2009. But in 2007 and 2008 he was a regular for the Cats. He is no Keating. Keating had injury hassled years in 2000, 2002 to 2004.

May have been the case for 2009. But in 2007 and 2008 he was a regular for the Cats. He is no Keating. Keating had injury hassled years in 2000, 2002 to 2004.

Rhino I did not intentional turn this into an assessment of Ottens.

Started out on TJ.

He did not give us the value we expected from a No.1 pick

However he gave me a lot of joy (and some heart ache ) over the journey.

At the time we traded him I thought it was foolish to trade the best kick we had when most of the team

were struggleing to hit a barn door from 30 meters.

However we got Grimes as a result so as in numerous times in the past the FD at The Dees

knew a lot more than me.

But it is entertaining to discuss these things at this time of the year.

Lets hope this time next year we are arguing over why Melbourne finished 5th and not 4th.

Rhino I did not intentional turn this into an assessment of Ottens.

Started out on TJ.

He did not give us the value we expected from a No.1 pick

However he gave me a lot of joy (and some heart ache ) over the journey.

At the time we traded him I thought it was foolish to trade the best kick we had when most of the team

were struggleing to hit a barn door from 30 meters.

Agree OD it did start on TJ. At the time of trading TJ was lauded on the basis of what he had done in 2002 and 2005. His radar went wonky in 2006 and on the blink in 2007. If he was our best kick the trade was right not so much for what we got for it but that TJ was diminishing as a footballer, had no leadership value (quite the opposite) and had become a downhill skier who was not prepared to work hard. At 28 and in those categories, he had to go. We were lucky to get a 1st rounder. We were lucky to also get Grimes.

But it is entertaining to discuss these things at this time of the year.

Lets hope this time next year we are arguing over why Melbourne finished 5th and not 4th.

Especially when we could have come 3rd!! B)