GWS Giants...

Mallee Bull

Agreed, I was thinking orange - it's the colour that's not already used.

I was thinking orange, white and navy or orange white and black - they've gone orange, white and charcoal which is close.

It's easy to criticise - come up with a better colour scheme.

Jumper design is fluid - the Eagles, Power and Dockers have all refined their's over the years and WS can too, it's not set in concrete.

I like the traditional Dogs hoops and the new Freo and Port V lines - WS may end up there.

I'm iffy on the Giants but they'll have done their research and it'll have edged out the Wolves etc for a reason.

Again - suggest something better.

Fair summation.

Let them do it without Raping and Violating the draft for 5 years. The "Just add water for instant success" scenario is a disgrace.

Melbourne Football Club vs the Giants, i am feeling nauseous, this cannot be real. Dam you AFL. Absolutely no style.

If you want more melodrama you should be using "raping and pillaging". Its a surefire winner on talk back radio.

If the fans voted for Wolves, wouldn't you choose that name to make the majority of fans happy?

Conclusions drawn from a straw poll dont always come with a lot of creedence.

I'd prefer Rugby not exist than the GWS Giants.

Can we stop being so parochial.

Yes Victoria is the greatest place in the world - let them spread the fruits up north if they want to.

Good ideas there.

But my point is you've bagged their jumper & name claiming it as the worst. What alternative suggestion can you offer that would make you feel otherwise ? - notwithstanding your opinion of them not existing (which won't happen so get used to it).

Clearly none it seems.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont mind the name, dont mind the colours and guernsey! Dont clash with anyone so great!

I support expanding our game! Dont mind what other clubs do with their names or colours! I care about our club and and our club alone! Everyone else is the enemy and be destroyed by the red and blue!

Looking forward to an 18 team comp! Just want Tassie to get in it some way too!

Yes ^ edited and realised.

But my point is you've bagged their jumper & name claiming it as the worst. What alternative suggestion can you offer that would make you feel otherwise ? - notwithstanding your opinion of them not existing (which won't happen so get used to it).

The same nature of opinions existed in the Suns thread. But I bet a few of them have now grown accustomed to it. They probably won't even think twice about it at the mid year break in 2011.

The Suns nick has grown on me, and this "Giants" theme to me is bold. It's new to AFL and will be marketable.

I agree, Don't point out problems if you can't offer a solution. So here goes

Western Sydney Saddlebags.

The jumper can have a big photo of Gene Autrey in the middle.

Edited by Steamin Demon

If you want more melodrama you should be using "raping and pillaging". Its a surefire winner on talk back radio.

You are entitled to your views RR as am i.

Over the next 30 -40 years the AFL may well make good money out of these new Franchaises (i refuse to call them clubs) But the existing clubs will not, it will be as fruitful as The Docklands stadium deal. i have no doubt. Let us not forget that James Brayshaw stopped North going to the Gold Coast, so now we have the suns. And now North wish a slice of the Hobart pie.

I despise North Melbourne, The Gold Coast Suns & The Western Sydney Giants.

Dont mind the name, dont mind the colours and guernsey! Dont clash with anyone so great!

I support expanding our game! Dont mind what other clubs do with their names or colours! I care about our club and and our club alone! Everyone else is the enemy and be destroyed by the red and blue!

Looking forward to an 18 team comp! Just want Tassie to get in it some way too!

It would be great to get them in, but who is Team 20? The AFL wont want a bye so if they are to include tassie they'll bring in someone else too. I'm not sold on the northen territory, even though its an AFL state. Remember watching the boys play there this year? They were exhausted by the end of it due to the humidity...so could basing a team there work?

Let them do it without Raping and Violating the draft for 5 years. The "Just add water for instant success" scenario is a disgrace.

Melbourne Football Club vs the Giants, i am feeling nauseous, this cannot be real. Dam you AFL. Absolutely no style.

Absurd.

It would be Demons vs Giants, or alternatively, Melbourne vs West Sydney...

not too bad really.

Cant say im at all impressed.... very bland. I quite liked the other name that was bandied aboutout...WOLVES.. Western Sydney Wolves had a bit of a ring about it and dare I say a suggestion of a bit of mongrel !! Giants ?? No....as some others suggest rather lame. Colours and design ? Grey !!!,,,,,Grey !!!!!!! how non specific do you want to get ?? The orange isnt so bad.

Hopefully all a ruse to trick us before the real name and colours are unveiled !!

what exactly makes "Giants" so "American"?

San Francisco Giants (Baseball), New York Giants (American Football), and there was a melbourne basketball team named Giants...basketball being an american import....I can't think of it being used in Non USA related sports?

Well I thought it was impossible to have something worse than the " Gold Coast"

But they have done it!

I have never seen anything so insipid in my life.

What is wrong with primary colours these days.

With no green in any of the other 17 clubs I thought Green was a certain colour.

And the "Giants" it beggars belief!

There's a reason why there's no predominantly green jumper ...

There's a reason why there's no predominantly green jumper ...

maybe he didnt grassp the significance ? :rolleyes:

San Francisco Giants (Baseball), New York Giants (American Football), and there was a melbourne basketball team named Giants...basketball being an american import....I can't think of it being used in Non USA related sports?

So?

Are giants a particularly American concept?

They have teams called the Lions, the Sharks, the Tigers, the Hawks, the Eagles... should we also shy away from them?

Pointless and ill-considered criticism.

Detroit Lions, Cincinatti Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens, New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers - lucky we don't have any teams resembling these ...

Cant say im at all impressed.... very bland. I quite liked the other name that was bandied aboutout...WOLVES.. Western Sydney Wolves had a bit of a ring about it and dare I say a suggestion of a bit of mongrel !! Giants ?? No....as some others suggest rather lame. Colours and design ? Grey !!!,,,,,Grey !!!!!!! how non specific do you want to get ?? The orange isnt so bad.

Hopefully all a ruse to trick us before the real name and colours are unveiled !!

"Wolves"? You can't be serious, "Giants" is American, but "Wolves" is Australian? And FFS what was that Hyacinth coloured jumper with the dying wolf someone suggested a few posts back...?

Give me strength.

I like the jumper, it's plain but effective. And deep orange/charcoal is a nice touch, great to see a new team actually using original colours.

The name is another story, Giants is such a lousy name for an AFL team. It's a name that doesn't really do anything, hasn't got any characteristics or qualities to it, what's the mascot going to be? It was easily the worst choice out of the short-listed names. Then there's the (un)originality factor, aren't there already MLB and NFL teams using that name?

Vikings, Warriors, Barbarians, Titans, Wolves, Raiders... anything would have been better than Giants.

"Wolves"? You can't be serious, "Giants" is American, but "Wolves" is Australian? And FFS what was that Hyacinth coloured jumper with the dying wolf someone suggested a few posts back...?

Give me strength.

I guess Dingoes doesn't pass the focus group testing.

You'd be hard pressed to find any significant sporting institutions around the world (named the 'Giants') without some connotation extending from US franchises IMO although I wouldn't go so far to say they don't exist.

Out of the USA, the Tokyo Giants come to mind as a prominent brand and of course they are a baseball team which supports your arguement. Interestingly their colours (similar to San Francisco) are Orange, Black and White which it sounds GWS may be employing. Personally I have no problem with GWS going with 'Giants' but it could potentially be more of an extension from Americanised sporting brands than need be if they simply copy the colours as well.

For me it's just an initial reaction to the name "Giants" that seems "American".

The only way they can, I guess, change that perception is just over time and creating their own identity.

At least with Gold Coast, the city itself is known for its sunshine lifestyle, hence the name.

I don't mind the Giants. Who really gives a crap if it's "American". Since when did America own the rights to have a Giant as a mascot?

Edited by calabreseboy

Give me strength.

about as Aussie as Lions and Tigers...but hey !! Australia can now claim a saint...but do we actually have a domestic Demon ? Hmm Bulldog theres an Australian breed for sure !!

I happened to like wolves..you dont fair enough. I didnt use the Giants is American jibe....just dont think it rings with any authority.

I agree, Don't point out problems if you can't offer a solution. So here goes

Western Sydney Saddlebags.

The jumper can have a big photo of Gene Autrey in the middle.

Now you have the two awards you so dearly crave for.