Jay Clark's Phantom Draft

e25

To be honest... I think it's a rubbish effort.

No reasoning either. I could have done better than this.

1. David Swallow - GC

2. Harley Bennell - GC

3. Sam Day - GC

4. Andrew Gaff - WCE

5. Dyson Heppell - BL

6. Jared Polec - RIC

7. Tom Lynch - GC

8. Shaun Atley - ESS

9. Daniel Gorringe - GC

10. Billie Smedts - GC

11. Josh Caddy - GC

12. Ben Jacobs - MEL

13. Jayden Pitt - GC

14. Brodie Smith - ADE

15. Isaac Smith - GEE

16. Scott Lycett - PA

17. Kieran Harper - NM

18. Pat McCarthy - CAR

19. Jed Lamb - HAW

20. Jack Darling - FRE

21. Reece Conca - SYD

22. Mitch Wallis - WB - F/S

23. Luke Parker - GEE

24. Dion Prestia - STK

25. Lucas Cook - BL

Edited by E25

1. David Swallow - GC

2. Harley Bennell - GC

3. Sam Day - GC

4. Andrew Gaff - WCE

5. Dyson Heppell - BL

6. Jared Polec - RIC

7. Tom Lynch - GC

8. Shaun Atley - ESS

9. Daniel Gorringe - GC

10. Billie Smedts - GC

11. Josh Caddy - GC

12. Ben Jacobs - MEL

Look at all those GC picks..it makes me feel sick, i hate them so much already.

Edited by why you little

Off you go!! Love to see your effort and reasoning.

It'll take a bit of effort, but I'll do one soon enough.

If I was paid to do it as my primary occupation, then I'd do a hell of a lot better than Clark's effort. Most would.

Ah, to be a Hun journalist... Can't get much easier, can it?

That's why he's getting paid to do it, and you're just a keyboard warrior.

I'd love to see what you have in mind, and then compare it once the date comes, and if you have more correct i'll call you KingE25, if you get more wrong ill call you DunceE25.

To be clear: I actually know Jay Clark & he ain't that bright.

So I'm not surprised by the fact his phantom is shallow.

He gets paid to do it because that is his chosen profession.

I choose to build orphanages and save children from burning buildings.

That's why he's getting paid to do it, and you're just a keyboard warrior.

I'd love to see what you have in mind, and then compare it once the date comes, and if you have more correct i'll call you KingE25, if you get more wrong ill call you DunceE25.

Really?

cos if I did get it mostly correct I'd call it dumb luck.

It ain't that easy to pick, but it's the justification that makes a phantom an interesting read.

The way Clark did it, any idiot can pick the names out of a hat.

I am not wanting to buy in to your blue and I don't claim to know s--- from Shinola when it comes to under-age football, but the designation of Jay's slection for us as a medium defender says it's unlikely to come through if Bail's stated intention to seek a forward is even close to the truth.

And I don't care if someone says the Dragons kid can play both ends - if you're a defender by age 18 that's usually pretty much it.

I couldn't give a crap about what anyone thinks about the draft, except for Emma Quayle. If she says it, I'll believe it. If some hack says it, whether their name is Jay Clark or E25, I will pay scant attention.

You have my vote Titan---

In fact most of us do not have a clue about these players. Unless you go to a lot of games we are all guessing.

The only group that matters is Melbourne Football department.

They get all the info, go to matches, attend pre draft camps and so far have a good record.

The selection of players is not an exact science, lots of things can change after selection

and quite often players develop later as they mature and late draft picks can produce jewels e.g. Mckenzie.

So the rest of us are just blowing hot air because most of the time we do not have a clue.

Really?

cos if I did get it mostly correct I'd call it dumb luck.

It ain't that easy to pick, but it's the justification that makes a phantom an interesting read.

The way Clark did it, any idiot can pick the names out of a hat.

Yeah, my bad E25, red that back and it came out more angry then i meant. I was more having a go at phantom drafts in general, unless there is 2 or three stand outs like last year, the rest is just blind luck, i agree

I will say what I think Melbourne should do.

We could kill 3 birds with one draft here. I am trying to get a tall forward, ruckman and hopefully turn one into a key position in defence.

Selection #12 Melbourne is a team that could go for high risk, high reward pick here and we may well consider a Luke Mitchell 198cm, 94kg (a Jonathan Brown type of player) or a Scott Lycett 202cm, 98kg (a Matthew Kreuzer type of player) here.

Selection #32 Pick 32 Melbourne Alex Johnson Vic Metro 194cm, 80kg

Johnson’s athleticism and upside could be the answer here.

Kevin Sheehan says: Alex is a tall defender/forward with an outstanding work rate and competitive edge. He provides excellent defensive pressure when playing forward. He represented Vic Metro at the under-18 championships this year.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?

Nick Riewoldt - I believe I play a similar role to Nick as a hard-working centre half-forward who works up the ground to create opportunities for teammates.

Selection #49 Josh Walker Vic Country 195cm, 87kg

Kevin Sheehan says: Josh is a tall forward with terrific work rate and strong hands overhead. He impressed for Vic Country in the under-18 championships as a lead-up forward, where he averaged 12 disposals and five marks.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?

Nick Riewoldt - key position forward who uses endurance to push up and down ground and take strong overhead marks.

Selection #52 Callum Sinclair Port Melbourne 199cm, 93kg DOB 23/09/89

Kevin Sheehan says: Callum is a mobile tall forward who is a strong lead and mark overhead. He reads the game very well and is reliable in front of goals.

What type of player are you?

Like to be considered a very tall (201cm) mobile key forward who is willing to ruck as required. Confident and very reliable goal kicker who becomes a hard match up when playing well.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?

In terms of current day player, I aspire to be a power forward and play like Justin Koschitzke at his best. In terms of days gone by, I have a base of skills and ability that is well developed for a tall player and would hope I could potentially develop with a lot of help into a player like Stephen Kernahan.

With the rookie draft we can have a mix of best available or older project players.

I could be wrong but by all indications from Bailey and Harrington we will probably go tall this draft.

Nice contribution. I've not seen any underage games this year so can't comment. Are your comments based on your own observations or just internet information??

I think we'll go best available with pick 12 and get a good player and then draft for needs beyond that.

Sorry just internet information. Mainly from Big Footy.

We will not go best available in the terms I think you mean. It has already been said by the footy department that they will go for the best that fits into the player group. My take on that would mean a tall forward.

Some are saying Shaun Atley may drift down to #12. Another tough inside midfielder. I would love to have Shaun at Melbourne as I know the family. But because of the needs of the club I would say we should go for a tall forward/ruck type of player.

We could kill 3 birds with one draft here. I am trying to get a tall forward, ruckman and hopefully turn one into a key position in defence.

Selection #12 Melbourne is a team that could go for high risk, high reward pick here and we may well consider a Luke Mitchell 198cm, 94kg (a Jonathan Brown type of player) or a Scott Lycett 202cm, 98kg (a Matthew Kreuzer type of player) here.

Selection #32 Pick 32 Melbourne Alex Johnson Vic Metro 194cm, 80kg

Johnson’s athleticism and upside could be the answer here.

Kevin Sheehan says: Alex is a tall defender/forward with an outstanding work rate and competitive edge. He provides excellent defensive pressure when playing forward. He represented Vic Metro at the under-18 championships this year.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?

Nick Riewoldt - I believe I play a similar role to Nick as a hard-working centre half-forward who works up the ground to create opportunities for teammates.

Selection #49 Josh Walker Vic Country 195cm, 87kg

Kevin Sheehan says: Josh is a tall forward with terrific work rate and strong hands overhead. He impressed for Vic Country in the under-18 championships as a lead-up forward, where he averaged 12 disposals and five marks.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?

Nick Riewoldt - key position forward who uses endurance to push up and down ground and take strong overhead marks.

Selection #52 Callum Sinclair Port Melbourne 199cm, 93kg DOB 23/09/89

Kevin Sheehan says: Callum is a mobile tall forward who is a strong lead and mark overhead. He reads the game very well and is reliable in front of goals.

What type of player are you?

Like to be considered a very tall (201cm) mobile key forward who is willing to ruck as required. Confident and very reliable goal kicker who becomes a hard match up when playing well.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?

In terms of current day player, I aspire to be a power forward and play like Justin Koschitzke at his best. In terms of days gone by, I have a base of skills and ability that is well developed for a tall player and would hope I could potentially develop with a lot of help into a player like Stephen Kernahan.

With the rookie draft we can have a mix of best available or older project players.

I could be wrong but by all indications from Bailey and Harrington we will probably go tall this draft.

You have gone 4 players all over 194 cms. You are obviously happy with our mids.

You have gone 4 players all over 194 cms. You are obviously happy with our mids.

Yes at this stage we have Gysberts, Blease, Tapscott, Maric and Strauss putting pressure on the midfield. We could pick up a few mids in the rookie draft as we did with Jordie McKenzie.

As with all drafts it will depend how the draft falls for us. I get the feeling Tapscott was a surprise so we grabbed him. The betting was we would take a tall but with such a good player available we took 'Bamm Bamm'. Then Gawn and Fitzpatrick fell into our laps as high priority picks.

Lets wait and see what happens on the 18th.

I have to admit in the first place I have only seen Luke Mitchell play on three occasions but FWIW, he has really been growing on me. Two of those games were for Calder Cannons in winning grand final teams and he excelled as a strong key forward kicking goals both times. What resonated with me about him were the words attributed to Micky Malhouse about how he was convinced about drafting the likes of Pendelbury, Thomas and Sidebottom. All three of them excelled in grand finals at TAC Cup Under 18 level and all three were valuable members of his premiership team this year. Malthouse maintains that the ability to perform at your top in a crunch game like a grand final is a good recommendation for a young player aspiring to be a consistently good player at the top level.

Most Phantom Drafts don't have Mitchell going as early as 12 and I certainly haven't seen that much of the players but if we're really aiming for a KPF who plays the tall forward role differently to Watts and Jurrah, he could be our man.

Pick 12 is way too high for Mitchell.

We're all 100% entitled to our opinions on players and where we rate them... But... your comment is what the keyboard warriors said about Gysberts last year. None of the bigfooty-style phantom drafts had him in the top 20.

But we picked him at 11 and apparently several other clubs were keen to pick him up from pick 13-18.

Very true, but my opinion is that pick 12 is way too high for him.

I thought that'd be obvious. I concede the FD know much better than I do, and should they see fit to take him that early I'll trust that decision is based on more than I know.

Do I really need to preface all my posts with "In my opinion..."?

Is there a reason that when I have an opinion I am accused of being a "keyboard warrior"?

Has it not occurred to those using this term that they are also one of these..?