Players who didn't live up to expectations

MO FINE

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea how this guy failed to get a mention .. GARY MOORCROFT .. so putrid

Good pick up.

Then again I had no big expectations when they recruited him.

considering the amount of coin we paid. Kelvin Templeton. Shocking decision as he was finished before he even played for us.

The earlier call on Carl Ditteritch was a bit harsh. i reckon Carl did pretty well in both his melbourne stints. The team back then was pretty ordinary, it wasn't all big Carl's fault.

The same would apply to Ditterich as to Templeton. Big Carl was paid a fortune in those days to come to MFC. He turned up to pre season training fat and overweight for those days and played like it. Coming back as coach he was a player who coached by example but hardly by strategy. His best footy was at the Saints.

Wayne Gordon, Vin Cattogio, Paul Hirst, David Young, Glenn Elliot, Phil Egan, Paul Goss, ... There are heaps more!

They were established fringe players by the time they got to MFC with the exception of Wayne Gordon who I thought was serviceable without being outstanding. Poor bloke died from cancer about 20 years ago while still young,

For Glenn Elliott...add his brothers Bruce and Robert.

Until the middle of this year, Lynden Dunn...

Yep. Although he needs to back it up in 2011.

Wayne Gordon, Vin Cattogio, Paul Hirst, David Young, Glenn Elliot, Phil Egan, Paul Goss, ... There are heaps more!

Paul Goss, wasn't he one of the feral Port Mebourne Goss clan? I think he was one of the famous rogues gallery down at Port in the 70's.

Anyone remember Scott Simister?

Was built like a brick shithouse and could kick a goal. Didn't seem to click at AFL level. Went on to play 3 seasons in the SANFL to top the goal kicking for his club 3 years running. He was a massive unit. Thought he was going to be the FF for the future, no idea what happened.

He was a monster in the reserves, only played 3 senior games and then went to plan in the SANFL. Unusual career.

The biggest disappointment for me would have to be Martin Pyke. Was shocking for us, and went on to carve out quite a career for himself at North and the Lions.

Always expected more of Ross Dillion and Greg Parke

Very Dissapointed in Cordner as others have stated

Charlie Pagnoccollo who we got from Footscray only managed 1 game and he was far better than that

Tilbrook had the most hype

I remember the first game Ditterich played and he was much better Saint than Demon (Oh the Irony in that statement)

By far the most wasted talent we had was Sean Charles

One we let go back home before he became a champion elsewhere was Doug Wade

Ponders if that will be a similar blunder Collingwood's make with Liam Jurrah

What about when we bought half the players from the 1977 Grand Final(s) and got doughnuts from it?

I wouldn't agree with that. Jarrott, Icke, Wilson gave great service to Melbourne. CAn't quite remember if Brian Wilson was North, someone else can fill in details here.

How about Gary Guy. This guy know his limitations. Couldn't kick and rarely ever did. Could get the ball though. Not unusual for him to give out 15-20 plus handballs without a kick in a game.

Edited by america de cali

Martin Pyke was good for us and we let him go as he wouldn't toe the social line outside the club. Played in a different in the premiership sides and would have been good for us if we kept him, a good mean player without being dirty.

Most of the players are wrongly listed here as they were curtailed by injury not whats between their heads and some was stupid recruiting..I remember Templeton, but we got good value out of Moore. But that was the Barrasi way, recruit established talent.

Earl Spalding, - was good till you needed him to kick that important goal.

The only player I had high hopes for that failed,was Craig Nettlebeck, former NO.1 draft pick for SYdney, and a Dee's supporter as a kid. But then he did play in a crap period for Melbourne.

So many more to comment on but a special mention to ex-don players were took for some reason.

He was from North.

He was originally from Footscray and after 2 seasons played better at North for another 2 seasons

Had a stellar first year with us and often comes up in conversation as an unworthy brownlow medalist like Shane Woewodin which IMO is ridiculous

Very classy player who could find the ball although selfish more often that i would have liked

He later played at his 4th club StKilda

Ox anyone??? To think of what he could have been...would have to be number 1 for me. Not withstanding the productive years he still managed following injury.

To a lesser extent Lyon and my namesake Stinga...both missed some of their best years to injury. Both still great players but could have put their names a rung higher if not for injuries.

Getting away from injury related let downs...D Bell comes to mind...looked set to become one of the best back pockets in the game at one stage then fell away very quickly.

Armstrong was another for me. Looked very good early but never kicked on.

If you were a Blues supporter you would say Andrew Walker. A number 2 pick, then after his first game I am sure they would have thought they had a legend of the game on their hands. Now they cant give him away.

I wouldn't agree with that. Jarrott, Icke, Wilson gave great service to Melbourne. CAn't quite remember if Brian Wilson was North, someone else can fill in details here.

Agree.

Wilson won a B'low and was a dangerous midfielder/ forward. FMD, some people are hard to satisfy. :wacko:

Steve Icke was a gutsy, mobile CHB who put a number of good seasons in at MFC.

Alan Jarrott was a fringe player who played a few serviceable games for MFC.

Hell, you can buy alot worse than that....and MFC often did.

Vincent Catoggio came from Carlton with big wraps as part of their premiership-winning mosquito fleet. Widely derided during his playing days at the MFC.

Did he come with big wraps??? He played in the 1973 GF (1st game) but was never a premiership player. Won a Gardner and Morrish Medal which highlights where his best footy was played.