2010 Player Review - # 1 Matthew Warnock

Demonland

Carried the Melbourne defence for a couple of years and has slipped back in the order now. Was out of the side in the two months as the team hit form. Still has plenty to offer as a key defender on the gorilla forwards - Luke Holmesby melbournefc

Games MFC 2010 13 Career 51 Goals MFC 2010 0 Career 1

Games CSFC 2010 7 Goals CSFC 2010 0

Warnock absolutely towelled up Barry Hall in that Friday night game... although the wet conditions helped him out.

Frawley was on Hall also... and towelled him up all the same.

Would have backed Matty in over Rivers in our starting 18 at the start of the year. However must now admit that you cant have both and Riv and although not as good on the gorillas Rivers offers more flexibility. It is great that Matty is contracted as I think a trade will only happen if a club is willing to pay well over his worth. If it doesn;t a great key defence back up to have in our pocket.

Could be traded but I think he will stay.

We have a lot of good tall defenders and just because there's some competition for spots doesn't automatically warrant Warnock being traded. KPDs don't grow on trees - much like KPF's.

Managing 13 games for MFC is disappointing he continues to suffer from poor disposal.

He is a bigger bodied player, but suffers in aerobic capacity. Needs to work hard in the offseason to have an impact in 2011 but I do think that he is still better than a seconds player.

MFC will be using the minimum 3 draft picks this year so i doubt that Jones or Warnock will be making way.

It will most likely be the players that are struggling to make the top 28 that will get the chop, rather than the best 28.. Which both players are IMO in the the best 28.

Not sure why people are so quick to pour cold water on a possible Warnock trade when we've yet to even hear what's on offer. If we could somehow swap Warnock for a player who is of similar quality, but suits our structural needs better (i.e. the kind of "big lump up forward" rfpc talked about), surely we'd have to take it?

It would also allow my man Kyle Cheney to step up to the plate as he so deserves!!! He has been killing it in the VFL...

How would it do that? Warnock is outside our best 22 at this point IMO (with Cheney further behind him, obviously). The best it would do is bring Cheney closer to the fringe.

How would it do that? Warnock is outside our best 22 at this point IMO (with Cheney further behind him, obviously). The best it would do is bring Cheney closer to the fringe.

If Warnock goes to Carlton... as soon as we get as much as one injury in our backline (extremely possible with Rivers down there!!), Cheney is straight in. He can play small AND tall.

Simple.

If Warnock goes to Carlton... as soon as we get as much as one injury in our backline (extremely possible with Rivers down there!!), Cheney is straight in. He can play small AND tall.

Simple.

I doubt it.

At 186cm he listed shorter than Grimes and others.

He is a tweener that is comfortable in the VFL but has neither the height nor speed for either talls or smalls in the AFL.

I doubt it.

At 186cm he listed shorter than Grimes and others.

He is a tweener that is comfortable in the VFL but has neither the height nor speed for either talls or smalls in the AFL.

Well a guy like Rivers is slower and 6cm taller than Cheney.

No matter... Cheney has proven he can play on ANYONE (short or tall) in the VFL. 2011 is his time to shine I think.

I'm the only one around here backing Kyle in - I hope he gets his chance. Dominant at VFL level... hope he can really step up to the plate in the AFL.

No matter... Cheney has proven he can play on ANYONE (short or tall) in the VFL. 2011 is his time to shine I think.

I'm the only one around here backing Kyle in - I hope he gets his chance. Dominant at VFL level... hope he can really step up to the plate in the AFL.

Hasn't looked sharp enough at VFL level...compare him with Rohan Bail, the guy stunk for a while in the VFL, solid in the big league. Speed of game just suits some guys and not others.

Rivers has lost a couple of yards but is a solid unit with good instincts, if Garland can add a few kg's Rivers weaknesses won't be all that much of an issue

Slow, can't kick. Can take a good grab but that's about it. Delist material IMO.

Warnock got shown up by a couple of gorillas this year. His game against Jay Schulz was horrible.

Ideally you'd want to keep Warnock. His judgment, positioning etc let's him down at times - but he is strong and fast - the sort of key defender its hard to find.

Like any trade - it all depends on what you'd get for him. If we could somehow use him in a 3 way deal to get David Hale as a tall forward/change ruck, I'd be supportive. Anything less .... and Warnock would be a loss.

(I'd take a draft pick for Cheney .... anything up to 55 or 60 .... he has limited upside potential)

Edited by hoopla

Slow, can't kick. Can take a good grab but that's about it. Delist material IMO.

Warnock got shown up by a couple of gorillas this year. His game against Jay Schulz was horrible.

I take it you're talking about Cheney there...

Can Bartram kick?? Bartram is one of the worst kicks on our list!!!

So what happens if we trade Warnock and delist Cheney then??? And let's say Rivers and Garland are injured for parts of next season...

Strauss and McNamara are the backups, ey? Great...

Cheney is vital for backup/depth at present. He is our next best depth player after Warnock. He's a solid unit, is young and has talent to burn. Melbourne need to stick with him, improve his efficiency a little bit and watch his talent unfold. Here's hoping!

Edited by DeezMan

I take it you're talking about Cheney there...

Can Bartram kick?? Bartram is one of the worst kicks on our list!!!

So what happens if we trade Warnock and delist Cheney then??? And let's say Rivers and Garland are injured for parts of next season...

Strauss and McNamara are the backups, ey? Great...

Cheney is vital for backup/depth at present. He is our next best depth player after Warnock. He's a solid unit, is young and has talent to burn. Melbourne need to stick with him, improve his efficiency a little bit and watch his talent unfold. Here's hoping!

Bartram is quicker with a huge tank and can run with opposition small forwards. Cheney does not have the pace. The statistics dont back Bartram as one of the worst kicks in the side. He has been alot better that this season.

If Rivers and Garland are injured and Warnock is traded then Martin gets a run and we move Bruce onto the 3rd up tall forward. Cheney at 186 cm wont get a look in for those roles.

If you are back up or depth then you are not vital. And Cheney is capable at VFL level but not dominant.

Unless a team is willing to pay over the top for him to fill one of their needs, I think that you will find that he is going no where. If he does stay on next year, I think that he will need to develop done versatility in his game if he wants to hold a spot in the best 22.

Bartram is quicker with a huge tank and can run with opposition small forwards. Cheney does not have the pace. The statistics dont back Bartram as one of the worst kicks in the side. He has been alot better that this season.

If Rivers and Garland are injured and Warnock is traded then Martin gets a run and we move Bruce onto the 3rd up tall forward. Cheney at 186 cm wont get a look in for those roles.

If you are back up or depth then you are not vital. And Cheney is capable at VFL level but not dominant.

Bail, Garland, Bartram, Frawley and even big JAMAR... what do they all have in common?

They all defied the odds like no one thought possible. Jamar and Frawley, in particular, have come on in leaps and bounds.

Bartram is now a regular thanks to his defensive pressure and ability to take on the small forwards with competence.

Bail is a gret find who gets a lot of the ball.

Garland has come along well with his pace and spoiling ability!

Cheney can be just like this crop if he is given a go. I hope he does and is able to hold his own. Humble pies what people will be eating.

I'll back ya to the hilt, Kyle.