HATCH MATCH & DESPATCH 2010

Demonland

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the price of whom on our list?

The Footy dept will have to ask the question in consideration of our list, is he going to be better than the calibre of players we have in the midfield? He is no standout and given we will have possibly four spaces on our list (with one more delisting) and that Spencer and McKenzie are to be elevated then the Footy Department must ask itself is the player worth the 2nd round pick that we would forgo to get him?

I am not sure we will be necessarily adding to our list this year through trades unless its a worthy big forward where we have a gap.

Agree 100%. There is no need for us to be looking for anything other than a big marking forward, should the opportunity arise. I would suggest that a player of this type is who we will target in the draft.

Rhino, tell me we're not going to promote Spencer. I can suffer 1 more year of him on the RL, but not a permanent spot.

Good chance that Paul Johnson will be the final delisting. Spencer is a definite promotion if that is the case, IMO a decent chance anway, we only have Fitpatrick & Gawn in reserve if Johnson is not there.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Fitzpatrick make his debut next year- put on a few more kgs over summer and be given a chance to 2nd ruck and compete with spencer for that 2nd spot.

Who will our other departures be- McDonald, Bell and Miller meet the required number- will we trade anyone?

Agree 100%. There is no need for us to be looking for anything other than a big marking forward, should the opportunity arise. I would suggest that a player of this type is who we will target in the draft.

+1.

Just focus on using early pick on the best available Key tall. From there use the next pick on the best available highly skilled mid size player and from there see what happens. Also bearing in mind McKenzie and perhaps Spencer will be elevated.

At the price of whom on our list?

The Footy dept will have to ask the question in consideration of our list, is he going to be better than the calibre of players we have in the midfield? He is no standout and given we will have possibly four spaces on our list (with one more delisting) and that Spencer and McKenzie are to be elevated then the Footy Department must ask itself is the player worth the 2nd round pick that we would forgo to get him?

I am not sure we will be necessarily adding to our list this year through trades unless its a worthy big forward where we have a gap.

As an aside, a second round pick this draft is more like a 3rd round pick in a normal draft

Good chance that Paul Johnson will be the final delisting. Spencer is a definite promotion if that is the case, IMO a decent chance anway, we only have Fitpatrick & Gawn in reserve if Johnson is not there.

I think we should always recruit the best talent available to us with our early drsft picks. If that a KP tall then fine. Otherwise we may sight a low pick or a trade.

PJ may will be cut. Its hard to tell. I think could elevate both Spencer and give PJ one more year on base dollars. Then there is Newton....

I think we should always recruit the best talent available to us with our early drsft picks. If that a KP tall then fine. Otherwise we may sight a low pick or a trade.

PJ may will be cut. Its hard to tell. I think could elevate both Spencer and give PJ one more year on base dollars. Then there is Newton....

A good performance by PJ this week will see him hold a spot I feel. A battle between Newton & PJ IMO, PJ would have to be in front but a nice finish will cement that.

Agree that best available is the way to go, but considering our supposed strength in majority of other area's (which I believe is there), it would not be difficult to imagine us erring on the side of a KP player in this coming draft.

No you take the best available player/talent and dont limit yourself by type. If he is a KPF then fine. But dont compromise going for quality.

So lets say the "best available" at pick 12 or 14 or 16 when we get our go is a midfielder. Explain exactly why we need another midfielder just now and when you think he will get his fisrt senior game.

So lets say the "best available" at pick 12 or 14 or 16 when we get our go is a midfielder. Explain exactly why we need another midfielder just now and when you think he will get his fisrt senior game.

We are losing McDonald for one. Hypothetically, if we did pick a mid with our first round. He may well debut as early as next season.

I'm intersted in best available and from what I've seen so far - and it hasn't been alot mind you..I like Billie Smedts, he looks a player with great composure. Shouldn't go too early and hopefully survives to our pick.

A good performance by PJ this week will see him hold a spot I feel. A battle between Newton & PJ IMO, PJ would have to be in front but a nice finish will cement that.

I think the decision has already been made.

The only variable if Newton plays and out of no where it clicks, he kicks six etc. Not holding my breath on that one!

Taking best available for your first pick should be a player that adds real talent to your list. If he is midfielder then he should be in top 10 midfield rotations. He should impact in his first couple of years. And your surplus midfielder becomes a worthy trade option (eg Prismall)

The only variable if Newton plays and out of no where it clicks, he kicks six etc. Not holding my breath on that one!

PJ to me has two major weaknesses, his marking and keeping his feet. If he was able to improve both he would give himself a better chance. I think he will get another year just for the fact that we are light on for ruckmen. Gawn is coming off a major injury and is untried as is Fitzpatrick who is also physically a way off and Spencer is still unproven. If Jamar goes down we are in big trouble.

Do you think the decision could hinge on any changes to the interchange rule? If the AFL decides to limit rotations I think that could put Newton ahead of PJ as a second ruck option, and lets face it PJ will never be good enough to be a #1 ruckman.

Newton was pretty good last week. His ruckwork was pretty good and despite the claims of the ignorant worked hard around the ground, was better than Jamar actually.

No you take the best available player/talent and dont limit yourself by type. If he is a KPF then fine. But dont compromise going for quality.

Disagree Completely Rhino. How could you be so naive?

Your theory would mean we would have a team of 22 6 foot midfielders.

Your talk about getting a midfielder, his talent then pushing out another guy and us then trading that other guy for a KPP is ridiculous because the only KPP that ever get traded are blokes who couldn't make it in the teams they were drafted too. It is very rare that any KPP that is traded to another club becomes the dominant big man that we want.

We draft for what we need. A big forward. A highly skilled running defender. The FD have previously highlighted these areas as what wee need.

Jeez. Just looking at the delistings and retirements in the OP... We're going to be delisting a LOT of young talent in the next 5 years or so... some well before their time.

As an aside, a second round pick this draft is more like a 3rd round pick in a normal draft

As it stands our 2nd pick is pick 32. Under a non-compromised draft that is still a 2nd round pick. I understand your point that picks have been pushed down the order but we need to keep perspective of what a 2nd rounder actually constitutes. We've had it good over the years with early picks but this is the reality that teams at the other end of the ladder have had to deal with - a 2nd rounder in the 30's.