Grand Final tickets

Inner Demon

Herald Sun are reporting today that Collingwood supporters are making a rush on the guaranteed GF ticket memberships realising that with the scarcity of GF tickets allocated to participating clubs it's more likely than not they'll miss out.

Will all you non-MCC MFC members start looking at upgrading your memberships in the coming years to make sure you have guaranteed access to a ticket when we return to the Grand Final or will you just run the gauntlet and hope the cards fall your way with allocations?? Which year will you take the plunge and, effectively, bet on us making the GF??

I'm MCC so it's a moot point, but by my reckoning 2012, to be safe.

We should at least be in the final and the chips could fall our way a la Hawks in 08 and Port in 07.

I've actually had the 'social club' add on for my membership the last few years and then kept it when that was changed to 'GF guarantuee' the last two years, lol. But during the lean years I just acceptted that would be my donation to the club, given the wooden spoons.

I'm an AFL Melbourne affiliate member not quite sure if this intact entitles me to a GF ticket or not but I certainly will be looking to ensure my seat in the coming years shal we get there!

I was going to add the GF guarantee to my membership from next year. But if all members did that how will it work with 34k members with a GF guarantee?

Unfortunately in trying to make money the AFL restricts the numbers of real fans to the game. I read somewhere that the prelim now with the fans GF for all purposes.

Personalyl I think they should do away with all the free tickets to clubs for fund raising etc and simply direct some money from the central fund to cover the difference. As for the corporates, they can buy a box for the day!

I'd definitely consider upgrading (from family membership). As early as next year and for as long as it takes.

Guess I better start saving. :rolleyes:

I'm sure new merchandise will be on it's way (New emblem). *Cringe* (thinking of upgraded apparrel & merchandise the kids will want....more money..gasp!..)

PS. The monthly debit plans help - for those seeking info.

• Like 1

I let my Redlegs membership lapse for a standard membership in 2000. Never again.

I pay $452 (cf Pies $795) and for that I'm guaranteed a GF ticket. Great value.

What annoyed me in 2000 was that I had to buy a seat for the GF when I only wanted a standing room ticket.

I contacted the MFC to say I had 6 seats together (incl. my mates) and I was happy to swap them for standing room.

Understandably the Club was too busy to deal with it.

We had shouse seats at the Ponsford end with nowhere to stand.

It's madness that you can't buy a standing room ticket until all seats are sold.

Sitting behind us at the GF were about 20 Adelaide people who had no interest in the footy who had bought a package through Jetset Travel.

I assume the Crows had simply sold their 1000 or so allocation to Jetset.

My understanding of premium memberships is that they can only be certain percentage of a club's membership.

Being an MCC member means this doesn't really apply to me, but at the moment I'm still a restricted member, which means if we made the GF this year (which won't happen) or next year (which is still highly unlikely to not happen) then I'll be trying to snap up a general admission ticket early through whatever means I can. As soon as I'm offered full membership I'll be taking it, as that will hopefully coincide with the year that we finally make it. Then I'll be spending as long as it takes in the MCC queue to get a good seat.

Edited by titan_uranus

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Here is one person you won't have to compete with. If we are in a close GF I'd rather have my heart attack in the privacy of my own home.

It's a sad reality the allocation of GF tickets to the rank and file supporter.

Taking my red & blue goggles off for one moment, it is for this reason that sitting back watching the game on Saturday night (Cats/Pies) is such a joy. The near 90,000 supporters are exactly that and it makes for such a fantastic atmosphere. Everyone at the ground is heavily invested in the result, as we all are here at Demonland every week. Sadly, too few are heavily invested in the GF result.

Before anyone starts responding with the commercial reality, yes yes I am well aware of this but it does not make it sit any better with me.

I have already started looking at increasing my membership. My 2 year old is taking in Casey games at the moment to enjoy the freedom but from next year I hope to start taking him along and then the year after, my near 1 year old (he is one on Friday! - Happy Birthday Riley!).

I can suffer from Olympic/Southern Stand fever and being seated around other Demon supporters will keep me calm, hopefully!

I took a mate along to the GF last year cos he was a saints supporter and he said the same thing - he wished he stayed at home to suffer the rollercoaster emotions in the comfort of his own home (not sure how that wouldve changed if they had have won the match).

I have lined up on the day to get into the MCC members the last 3 years straight and it's not that bad.

Get there about 5am, join the queue and they let you in the ground about 8:30 iirc.

You find a seat then they come around and give you a ticket for the sit you're in.

I'd assume if the dees were playing you'd have to get there earlier, but it wouldn't change too much.

Maybe 4am? You'd think saints supporters would be there in droves too, only there's more of us.

It's a sad reality the allocation of GF tickets to the rank and file supporter.

Taking my red & blue goggles off for one moment, it is for this reason that sitting back watching the game on Saturday night (Cats/Pies) is such a joy. The near 90,000 supporters are exactly that and it makes for such a fantastic atmosphere. Everyone at the ground is heavily invested in the result, as we all are here at Demonland every week. Sadly, too few are heavily invested in the GF result.

Before anyone starts responding with the commercial reality, yes yes I am well aware of this but it does not make it sit any better with me.

I have already started looking at increasing my membership. My 2 year old is taking in Casey games at the moment to enjoy the freedom but from next year I hope to start taking him along and then the year after, my near 1 year old (he is one on Friday! - Happy Birthday Riley!).

I can suffer from Olympic/Southern Stand fever and being seated around other Demon supporters will keep me calm, hopefully!

I don't believe the crowd does suffer with all the corporate seats.

I was also at the Cats v Pies game last Saturday and the atmosphere did not compare to a grand final.

People with no allegiances choose one for the day.

Corporate types with any link to the teams playing find a way to snap up the seats their organization has access to.

Just because the seats aren't paid for by the people sitting in them doesn't mean the passion isn't there.

my best mate is a huge pies man, but he has zero interest in going to the GF by himself, therefore will not accept the ticket, even if he is fortunate to score one in the ballot.

according to the article today, the clubs playing off in the GF get allocated 11,000 tickets each. i think each of the other clubs get an allocation too, probably of 500-1000 seats. these are most likely given to players, board members, sponsors, large investors in the club, etc.

me, i'm not sure. i'd love to go to a grannie, but i would want to be there to share the moment with someone. i'd rather have a barbie at home with everyone instead of going alone. say both a mate and i get allocated seats in the ballot, is there any way that we can get those seats together?

i'll most likely upgrade my membership in 2012. i live interstate, so it's more a donation to the club than anything. i still try and make 2-4 games a year. i'll definitely jump on a plane for a final this year if we make it!

Go you demons!!!

Since I was 18 I have bought Redlegs and trident memberships with a guaranteed GF ticket, If we made it and I didn't I couldn't live with myself.

What make me laugh is these nuff pies supporters rushing out and paying for the more expensive memberships with Colliwobbles no guarantee of making it, When you could hold onto your cash and if they happen to make it splash out on a premium matchday function (centre square ). It makes no sense.

I took a mate along to the GF last year cos he was a saints supporter and he said the same thing - he wished he stayed at home to suffer the rollercoaster emotions in the comfort of his own home (not sure how that wouldve changed if they had have won the match).

I was there last year and at the Swans-Eagles GFs. Honestly not sure how I would cope with that level of stress if MFC were involved. I was there in 1988 and 2000 and what can I say? I'm hoping for a Cats 2007 experience for the first of the 4-peat to ease into it.

I was also at the Cats v Pies game last Saturday and the atmosphere did not compare to a grand final.

Corporate types with any link to the teams playing find a way to snap up the seats their organization has access to.

Just because the seats aren't paid for by the people sitting in them doesn't mean the passion isn't there.

Not sure that I agree with you there E.

I've been to GF's where obviously we (Dees) aren't competing and while yes, I do choose an allegiance for the day there is no way my passion is anywhere near what it would be for the Dees.

The 2000 GF I ended up with a seat in the very last row of the top stand of the Southern Stand. The passion up there was full of Ess & Demon fans because we were all thrown up there to accommodate the corporates.

I'm an AFL Melbourne affiliate member not quite sure if this intact entitles me to a GF ticket or not but I certainly will be looking to ensure my seat in the coming years shal we get there!

Do you mean an AFL Member with Melbourne Club Support?

The atmosphere at the grand final is nothing like it would be if the 'G was full with almost ~90K supporters of other team IMHO.

As someone else implied, you just need to compare a prelim final.

The 2000 GF I ended up with a seat in the very last row of the top stand of the Southern Stand. The passion up there was full of Ess & Demon fans because we were all thrown up there to accommodate the corporates.

I was in a pretty similar spot - very close to the top of level 4 in the Southern Stand.

What bothers me is that I've been sitting with the same supporters for the past 5 years (12 years member upgraded from Redlegs to Trident)yet when it comes to finals time, all the good and bad times you spent with your fellow supporter over the years is lost in the moment of a final of not reconising the faces around you.

They throw you in with other supporters that you don't know their banter.

I'm not saying I know them personally but you know their faces and the way they cheer. You miss the comments that come too and forth from each other throughout the year.

Bit dissapointing. Shurely bay 53 of the Tridents and other bays that sit together could be allocated their bay or a bay for the finals and GF. Would be great to celebrate with those that you spend the lean times with.

Edit : Spelling/Grammer

Edited by gOLLy

Dont agree with you at all - must say actually - crap!

People who choose allegiances for a day do not in any way compare to the passion a person who has supported his/her club for their lifetime.

Your last comment about passion is so way of the mark it isnt funny.

Supporters are the lifeblood of their side, not the bloody corporates!!!

I have been a Jim Stynes 205 club member, then Legends, then Redlegs, then Tridents - all because of Grand Final Guarantee. Never dropped back to a lower membership in the lean years. A couple of seasons ago they changed it to Priority tix to Grand final because the AFL said they could not guarantee a GF ticket. It seems to have gone back to GF guarantee lately but there would be a cap on the number of memberships that can be sold with this guarantee.

MFC web site lists what the club has done with its 1000 ticket allocation this year.

I have lined up on the day to get into the MCC members the last 3 years straight and it's not that bad.

Get there about 5am, join the queue and they let you in the ground about 8:30 iirc.

You find a seat then they come around and give you a ticket for the sit you're in.

What level did you get though? 2 or 3? Or 1 or 4?

I'd love to be on Level 2 of the MCC for a Melbourne GF. But that'd probably require being at the top of the queue.

I am going to upgrade next year to a GF guarantee. What I want to know is if I purchase a reserved seat membership with GF guarantee do I get the reserved seat I have sat in all year in the GF should we make it or will I be shunted to the top of the ponsford stand like I was in 2000?

No chance of getting the same seat you have sat in all year. There is probabaly a member of the opposing team that sat in that same seat all year hoping the same thing. All bets are off and everyone starts from scratch (except the corporates who get the cream). Sorry! In 2000 I got M6 back row ground level near the goals.