I hate to crow...

rollinson 65

I hate to crow...

but I copped some stick earlier this year when I said that dunn and bartram will play in our next premiership team...

I know one game does not make a career, but I love the way these two guys go about their footy and I hope I prove to be right in the end...

regards to all...

rollo

I hate to crow...

but I copped some stick earlier this year when I said that dunn and bartram will play in our next premiership team...

I know one game does not make a career, but I love the way these two guys go about their footy and I hope I prove to be right in the end...

regards to all...

rollo

While i think both Dunn and Bartram and maybe even Bate may find themselves borderline delistings i was happy to see them both play well

What i make that assement on is the developemnt of the other players going past what they have to offer the team

Unless you progress your developement in this competition you will be left behind both individually and teamwise

While i think both Dunn and Bartram and maybe even Bate may find themselves borderline delistings i was happy to see them both play well

Surely you jest!!!!!

None of them would be delisted, and at worst, they have trade value, so wouldn't simply be delisted!

Agree with original post........I've been a fan of Dunn, and our forwardline functions better with him in it.......underated IMO, and an important player for us.

Bartram has been great all year, and is tough......also an important player for us.

What i make that assement on is the developemnt of the other players going past what they have to offer the team

Unless you progress your developement in this competition you will be left behind both individually and teamwise

Surely you don't propose Bate or Bartram are anywhere near delistings this year?

I'm not sure Bartram has much development left but I'm not sure he needs to either. Yes he has to tidy up his kicking but in terms of stopping an opponent there's not much more he can do.

Bate and Dunn are interesting cases. Bate has obviously played more consistent and quality football. The number of times he has been in our best in games is quiet substantial. His problem is his best and worst are too spread. Just like he has good attributes (long kick, racks up touches, kicks goals) and some shockers (lack of chase and pressure, dodgy in close etc).

But Dunn seems to be cleaner. He is certainly a better chaser, and he has the ability to go into the middle. If Bate gets his chasing effort up and can even add the ability to go onto a wing then he will certainly bounce back quickly to be the class act we know him as.

I can't decide if the picture of who gets chopped at season's end is getting clearer or murkier...

Bell is gone.

PJ I'd think the same, in spite of his good form lately.

We just have too many other promising upcoming ruckmen and I don't think a few good games are enough to save him.

After that?

I thought one of Dunn or Bartram, but now, for me, both definitely stay.

Maric showed something today and I think Cheney has shown enough recently.

The only clear option I can see is Tom McNamara to the rookie list.

I wanna give him a couple more years to show his worth.

Spencer and McKenzie need to be permanently upgraded to the senior list -- does this mean we only use our 1st round draft pick?

We're unlikely to delist more than the minimum (maybe an extra here an there for retirements) for a couple of years now. We have a LOT of kids who deserve their time to show something, and then we've got these mid age or young-ish players who refuse to give up on pushing into the 22.

Seeing a few 'not quite there' players stepping up is a huge lift, and makes a big difference to our depth. It also must be a great confidence boost for guys like Maric, Cheney, Spencer and Martin who have all shown they have 'something' at times, but are not quite there or are in the doldrums for the moment.

Important day for the Dees as we saw the Dees play the best football under Dean Bailey.

As I understand it the 'Total Football' concept pioneered by the Dutch in the 70s was inpsired by the idea that every member of the team had to be competent in every role on the pitch because such is the dynamic nature of the game that a player will at times find himself in defence , midfield and attack so has to be able to be effective when in each part of the pitch.

For mine Geelong have appropriated the 'Total Football' philosophy to AFL better than any other team. To an extent the modern tactics in AFL with flooding and overlapping and creating mismatchs demands all teams implement a form of 'Total Football' but it is Geelong that has the personnel best able to implement it. Players like Ablett, Chapman, Bartel, Mackie and Kelly are but 5 of the Geelong players who are comfortable in every part of the ground. In the chaos of a game they can quickly reset match ups or can ceate confusion by drifting forward or back to lose opponents. Today as the Dees put out perhaps their best 22 under Bailey we saw a glimpse of a Dees team that as it develops can succeed Geelong as the team with the personnel best able to apply 'Total Football' to our game. And that excites me almost as much as Frawley and Watts' chases on Jetta.

On Maric I thought he performed adequately. Has been doing a good apprenticeship in the VFL adding the midfield string to his bow. Good mark for is height and generally a good ball user. His day would have been better had Green not missed 2 marks on the lead from Maric passes. In both cases they were marks he would take more often than not.

Surely you jest!!!!!

None of them would be delisted, and at worst, they have trade value, so wouldn't simply be delisted!

Agree with original post........I've been a fan of Dunn, and our forwardline functions better with him in it.......underated IMO, and an important player for us.

Bartram has been great all year, and is tough......also an important player for us.

I was surprised when Dunn was dropped early in the year, I thought he was a bit hard done by, there are some that always seem to get the chop when the side starts to lose games. If only he could kick straight he could be a very good player for us.

As someone who has been quite closely associated with rollinson65 over the years, I can assure everyone here that he most certainly does NOT hate to crow.

But aside from the misleading topic title, yes, I agree. Always loved Bartram. The fluoro boots were obviously the final piece of the puzzle there. And I'm definitely seeing your point about Dunn. He seems to be in the side when we're at our best, doesn't he?

:)

GO DEES!

I hate to crow...

regards to all...

rollo

I didn't say it at the time but I had thought both players had not proved themselves at the highest level. I think they are moving very steadyly to doing just that. And it is good to see. Barts kicking/running himself into trouble still scares me when he has the ball in his hands but his tackling/pressure skills are right up there.

Dunny stopping roles have improved too, he ability to go the other way forward has added a string to the stopping work he has been doing.

Important day for the Dees as we saw the Dees play the best football under Dean Bailey.

As I understand it the 'Total Football' concept pioneered by the Dutch in the 70s was inpsired by the idea that every member of the team had to be competent in every role on the pitch because such is the dynamic nature of the game that a player will at times find himself in defence , midfield and attack so has to be able to be effective when in each part of the pitch.

For mine Geelong have appropriated the 'Total Football' philosophy to AFL better than any other team. To an extent the modern tactics in AFL with flooding and overlapping and creating mismatchs demands all teams implement a form of 'Total Football' but it is Geelong that has the personnel best able to implement it. Players like Ablett, Chapman, Bartel, Mackie and Kelly are but 5 of the Geelong players who are comfortable in every part of the ground. In the chaos of a game they can quickly reset match ups or can ceate confusion by drifting forward or back to lose opponents. Today as the Dees put out perhaps their best 22 under Bailey we saw a glimpse of a Dees team that as it develops can succeed Geelong as the team with the personnel best able to apply 'Total Football' to our game. And that excites me almost as much as Frawley and Watts' chases on Jetta.

On Maric I thought he performed adequately. Has been doing a good apprenticeship in the VFL adding the midfield string to his bow. Good mark for is height and generally a good ball user. His day would have been better had Green not missed 2 marks on the lead from Maric passes. In both cases they were marks he would take more often than not.

Total football is a great term for it and it is exciting to see the MFC players being able to implement Bails tactics.

Mazza whilst not outstanding on the stats sheet or scoreboard his defensive pressure was right up yesterday. Something they have been trying to get into his game for a long time now. Here's hoping he can put the whole package together.

Bartram unless a better option emerges is our first option for the small defender.

I am not convinced that Dunn has stitched up a role in our best 22 if all are fit.

They may through fate or fortune play in a flag (hopefully at MFC or even elsewhere) but neither are must haves in the assault in 3 to 4 years.

Certainly nothing to crow about.

Delisting- you'd have to be joking.

I hate to crow...

regards to all...

rollo

So are you "crowing" now, or simply reminding us of your brilliant foresight? Or informing us of your wishes to be justified in the future for a future "crow"?

You could be right, but what year is this happening? Need to plan..

So are you "crowing" now, or simply reminding us of your brilliant foresight? Or informing us of your wishes to be justified in the future for a future "crow"?

You could be right, but what year is this happening? Need to plan..

I would think 2013/4, but, just like the northey years, I am planning to enjoy the journey... :-)

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I never thought Barts was up to it but he has done a fine job this year. A bit more polish is required but I'm very pleased with his work this year.

Dunny I liked from the outset and never understood why he was thrown around so much BUT that is probably why I'm not a coach. He seems a much more complete player and has served us well since his recall.

I hate to crow...

regards to all...

rollo

They've both still got a ways to go... and could each easily be superceded by other players. For Dunn, possibly another big KP player could take his spot. For Barts, a skilled running half back might be more necessary.

That said, they're going in the right direction. I think Barts is safer than Dunn marginally.