Casey Scorpions v Port Melbourne

KC from Casey

Final siren - Port have run away with the game to win by 25 points.

Casey Scorpions 2.2.14 6.2.38 12.5.77 13.9.87

Port Melbourne 2.3.15 8.8.56 9.10.64 16.16.112

Goals

Casey Scorpions Maric 3 Miller Wonaemirri 2 Jetta Lees McGough Panozza Tapscott Wall

Port Melbourne Scipione 4 Bentock Burstin McMahon Sinclair 2 Bonaddio Debruin Fanning Schultz

Casey Scorpions MacReadie Miller Warnock McNamara Maric Nicholls

Port Melbourne Fanning McLaren Bentick Valenti Wall Pinwill

I was at the coldest place on earth (Casey Fields) today and here's my take on the Melbourne listed players:

CASEY RESERVES:

Sam Blease: Only saw the last quarter of the two's and Blease looked allright; didn't get a heap of it but he looks really quick and had plenty of penetration in his kicking, seemed to be their designated kicker as they were trying to feed him the ball as much as possible.  Still needs another week at least with Casey two's probably before playing seniors IMO.

Max Gawn: Didn't play the final quarter, can't make any judgement.

CASEY SENIORS:

Daniel Bell: Unfortunately I didn't notice Daniel do too much today at all, think they had him doing a running job on Bentick who would of been one of Port's best.  On a day where Casey were smashed in the midfield his presence was sorely lacking IMO.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Did a few nice things but didn't get a lot of it.  Was up against 2 ex AFL ruckmen in McLaren & Fanning in the centre and it did look a bit of man v boy out there, he still got some nice touches but didn't seem to drift forward to much which I was expecting.

Neville Jetta: Was quiet, tried hard but nothing seemed to come off for him today.  Seems down on confidence and needs to continue to work hard to turn his lack of form around.

Addam Maric: Was probably Casey's best today IMO and looked very good especially in the first half.  Kicked 3 goals playing in the midfield and across half forward and was the best game I've seen him play.  But as he seems to do, fell out of the game late and I didn't spot him too often in the final quarter when the game was up for grabs.

Tom McNamara: Played very well in defence and after Maric I thought he was the next best for Casey. I still think he could become a very good player, however it will be tough for him to get a game with out large number of tall defenders.

Brad Miller: Presented well and worked hard considering the limited opportunities he received as the ball was often down Port Melbourne's end for the majority of the match.  Think he ended up with 2 but as Miller often does missed out on some opportunities to end up with 4 or 5.  Missed a crucial shot 10min into the last quarter which would have put Casey back to 13 points up from 35m.

Luke Tapscott: Battled well and looks a player, uses it very nicely by foot.  Think he'll be best served playing out the season in the VFL and pushing for AFL selection after a solid pre-season next year IMO.

Matthew Warnock: Played a decent game but made a few crucial turnovers.  Starting to suspect his turnovers may be the reason as to why Rivers is prefered over him at the moment.

Austin Wonaemirri: Worked hard and kicked a few goals Aussie, set up a great goal to Maric in the 2nd quarter through a very smart kick around the body on centre wing.  Hasn't had a break out game yet but I'd like to see him come in next week personally, it's good to see him get through another game unscathed.

Disappointing loss today but they're probably lucky they didn't loose by more as Port's midfield was all over Casey today.  No need to panic as there's several Melbourne listed players to return in the coming weeks.  The loss does make a top 2 and home final in the first week very difficult to achieve now however.

I think I owe Maric an apology. He was very very good today. Based on that game he is well and truly in line for a call-up. Probably ahead of Wona and Jetta.

I only saw a little of Gawn before he was benched, but I agree with earlier posts. His rucking was good, but looked lost around the ground. That's to be expected after that long on the sidelines.

Blease has an amazing boot. My only gripe with his game is that his teammates didn't pass him the ball as often as they could have.

Tapscott is going to be a star. He already looks comfortable at VFL level. Physically he is well and truly able to hold his own, and he moves very well.

From what we saw today, I think Maric is the closest of the VFL brigade to getting a call up. Warnock was his usual solid self, but I think his return is contingent upon matchups in the backline, so it depends on who the opposition are playing. Wona was dangerous, and is moving really well. He has a habit of trying to take one-handed marks. He needs to stop that. Jetta I think needs more time.

I was at the coldest place on earth (Casey Fields) today and here's my take on the Melbourne listed players:

CASEY RESERVES:

Sam Blease: Only saw the last quarter of the two's and Blease looked allright; didn't get a heap of it but he looks really quick and had plenty of penetration in his kicking, seemed to be their designated kicker as they were trying to feed him the ball as much as possible.  Still needs another week at least with Casey two's probably before playing seniors IMO.

I noticed something else about our 70kg pick 18 draft selection - he may have a bit of the 'Damien Hardwick' about him.

There were 2 minutes left in the match. Casey had kicked a goal and Blease was lined up on the wing for the recommencement.

Just before the next bounce of the ball, Sam was busy trying to push his direct opponent across the line so he could con a free kick from the umps. He also hassled a couple of other opponents by restraining them on the ground. The Port fans were going off at him, calling him mongrel number 47. Luvved it. We could have something here.

I noticed something else about our 70kg pick 18 draft selection - he may have a bit of the 'Damien Hardwick' about him.

There were 2 minutes left in the match. Casey had kicked a goal and Blease was lined up on the wing for the recommencement.

Just before the next bounce of the ball, Sam was busy trying to push his direct opponent across the line so he could con a free kick from the umps. He also hassled a couple of other opponents by restraining them on the ground. The Port fans were going off at him, calling him mongrel number 47. Luvved it. We could have something here.

It's good to see from him isn't it? I also noticed that for such a lightly built who appears to be outside midfielder, he seemed more then comfortable in amongst the packs and stoppages which is good to see.

I'd like to think that by the start od 2012 he'd of made himself a permanant part of the demons team, a lot to like about his progression since the broken leg.

With the momentum Blease's career had so far (or lack of), the fact that he played the last quarter at all is cause for celebration.

I'm hoping he'll be in the Casey senior side sooner rather than later.

It's good to see from him isn't it? I also noticed that for such a lightly built who appears to be outside midfielder, he seemed more then comfortable in amongst the packs and stoppages which is good to see.

I'd like to think that by the start od 2012 he'd of made himself a permanant part of the demons team, a lot to like about his progression since the broken leg.

I wasn't a big fan of Damien Hardwick. He tended to try anything to gain a competitive advantage (EG; conning a free kick against Jonathon Brown in the 2004 GF), however I'll accept that his tough attitude made him a very important player in two premiership sides.

I was worried we'd picked up another lightly built outside player who may be brushed aside in contested situations, but you're right TD - Blease seemed to enjoy 'getting involved'. He's still listed as only 70kg and 184cm. I hope he can get to 80-85kg AND retain his pace.

Good to see Maric get a few goals. I don't think he got a lot of posessions in the first half but 3 goals from a small forward is a fair return. Maybe a chance of a call up next week.

The Port fans were going off at him, calling him mongrel number 47. Luvved it. We could have something here.

He wore no.8 last week at Frankston even though the record said 40 odd.

After Scully and Trengove he's the mid that excites me most. And he really adds to that outside class we lack. With a solid preseason I can't see why he won't play a lot of games for the Dees next year.

I wasn't a big fan of Damien Hardwick. He tended to try anything to gain a competitive advantage (EG; conning a free kick against Jonathon Brown in the 2004 GF), however I'll accept that his tough attitude made him a very important player in two premiership sides.

Which is all that matters.

Give me a Hardwicke type any day of the week.