Changes for next week

Gouga

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this board is all about opinions, but were you guys all at the same game as me last week? Most of these changes are based on what you personally think of players not what we need or what will actually possibly happen, also Bailey did say he would be taking a horses for courses outlook this week.

That being said, do you really think Johnson will be dropped this week? Sure he wasn't great last week, but he did his job, gave support to Jamar. Surely we won't leave Jamar one out again, it takes too much of a toll on him late in the game. So I think he'll stay.

So...

IN: Warnock (he had a couple of ordinary weeks, but was great for Casey last week and would take Sandilands if he goes forward)

Aussie (was FANTASTIC last week, and with Jurrah and Sylvia back can play his crumbing role better than when he came in earlier in the year)

OUT: Bartram, Cheney (liked Cheneys game last week even if I'm in the few, but need a more attacking team for Subi)

Really don't think we'll make many changes this week, but some other possibilities are:

IN: Junior OUT: McKenzie (have a feeling Junior won't play tho)

IN: Bail or Jetta OUT: Jones or Dunn (might go for more forward run rather than tagging roles)

Whatever happens, I'm really enthusiastic about the quality of our options now, and how it's getting to the stage where we can change the look of our team a bit without losing much quality. Isn't it amazing how some of the less liked players on here start to become more in favour once they start getting played in their proper roles.

Err.. Why are people considering dropping Joel Macdonald?

Every time I saw him in a one on one, he played it very smart and won it nearly every time. I hardly saw him make any errors or poor judgment calls of the footy.

Err.. Why are people considering dropping Joel Macdonald?

Every time I saw him in a one on one, he played it very smart and won it nearly every time. I hardly saw him make any errors or poor judgment calls of the footy.

I think people want Joel Macdonald dropped, because people want to see us moving closer to 'the best 22 of the future'. We want to see the depth players slowly shifted out, and the future put in.

It is probably not based on form, because as you mentioned, Macdonald was good in all 50-50 contests, which was really important last week.

Players i'd be happy to see dropped to Casey irregardless of form= MacDonald, Cheney, PJ- I don't see them in our best 22 when we are playing finals...

Players i'd be happy to see dropped to Casey irregardless of form = MacDonald, Cheney, PJ - I don't see them in our best 22 when we are playing finals...

For this week: MacDonald to stay; Cheney to stay; PJ to stay.

- MacDonald harshly criticized. Has been great in the duals and is tough at the footy.

- Cheney needs to string more than 2 games in a year firstly, before he is judged!!! He's held his own thus far and I support his inclusion in the side whilst Grimes is out.

- PJ needs to be included simply because Jamar will soon be a train wreck. Expect PJ to get taken to the slaughterhouse vs Sandilands this week though...

We shall just wait and see what happens at the selection table tonight.

I think people want Joel Macdonald dropped, because people want to see us moving closer to 'the best 22 of the future'. We want to see the depth players slowly shifted out, and the future put in.

It is probably not based on form, because as you mentioned, Macdonald was good in all 50-50 contests, which was really important last week.

Players i'd be happy to see dropped to Casey irregardless of form= MacDonald, Cheney, PJ- I don't see them in our best 22 when we are playing finals...

Spot on.

But MacDonald should stay in the team for now.

He will not be on our list for many more years to come, but we should not let impatience remove him from the team ahead of time.

It won't help our kids progression by fielding a team with no experience so they end up out of their depth.

Spot on.

But MacDonald should stay in the team for now.

He will not be on our list for many more years to come, but we should not let impatience remove him from the team ahead of time.

It won't help our kids progression by fielding a team with no experience so they end up out of their depth.

Why do people always talk about Joel Macdonald as if he's about to turn 30???

He has years and years of football ahead of him.

Inner Demon... are you another version of me???

Not only do I wholeheartedly agree with you on the (only) inclusions of Bail, Junior and Warnock for the Freo match this weekend... but also the fact that Joel Mac will be playing at Melbourne for maaaany more years - minimum 5 years. He is 26 years of age and will play out the rest of his career as a Demon. Surely.

Inner Demon... are you another version of me???

Not only do I wholeheartedly agree with you on the (only) inclusions of Bail, Junior and Warnock for the Freo match this weekend... but also the fact that Joel Mac will be playing at Melbourne for maaaany more years - minimum 5 years. He is 26 years of age and will play out the rest of his career as a Demon. Surely.

In fact, Joel is only 25.

Clint Bartram will not be dropped this week

Quite right.

He could get 30 touches and hold his opponent statless and the same people on here would drop him in this thread. He's the poster boy for the "I don't see him as a Premiership player" brigade.

Did a good job, again, on Alwyn last week and is probably set for Ballantyne and/or Fyfe this week.

OUT - PJ, McKenzie

IN - Bail, McDonald

The big open spaces are the reason behind my decisions. Bail is burning in the VFL. And Macca has a bigger engine than McKenzie at the moment.

Jamar to go alone against Sandilands. Jamar has done well against him before!

Given Junior looks like he will be playing i dare say that we will see two inclusions:

IN: Bail and McDonald

OUT: Cheney and McKenzie (as much as i think this kid is great he is the like for like with Junior)

I also wonder if one of the other youngsters (ie Scully or Trengove) will be rested based on workload management and the fact that Subi is so big and taxing. I know that is Scully and to a lesser extent Trengove's forte but on the second largest ground in the AFL (Skilled Stadium) earlier in the year they were rested. (With a view to more realistically knocking off Sydney at the G the following week).

Here's the link:

Team v Freo

I was right about one of Trengove and Scully.

Trengove out.

The extended bench is:

Joel Macdonald, Kyle Cheney, Paul Johnson, Rohan Bail, Addam Maric, Matthew Warnock, Cale Morton

I believe that will be trimmed too:

Johnson, Bail, Morton, Warnock

Warnock will force MacDonald out.

Bail for Cheney and Morton for Trengove.

The dark horse is Maric who was first emergency last week so didn't get to play for Casey. They might put him in ahead of one of Morton or Bail. (But god i hope not!)

I'd say because he's already reached his peak and it's not that flash.

It's all downhill from here, but for the moment he can get the odd game due a mature body & experience.

Here's the link:

Team v Freo

I was right about one of Trengove and Scully.

Trengove out.

The extended bench is:

Joel Macdonald, Kyle Cheney, Paul Johnson, Rohan Bail, Addam Maric, Matthew Warnock, Cale Morton

I believe that will be trimmed too:

Johnson, Bail, Morton, Warnock

Warnock will force MacDonald out.

Bail for Cheney and Morton for Trengove.

The dark horse is Maric who was first emergency last week so didn't get to play for Casey. They might put him in ahead of one of Morton or Bail. (But god i hope not!)

I hope so.

I think Maric deserves a senior game by now and I want Morton to really earn his spot back in the team.

He gets too much of the easy ball for my liking at the moment.

Edited by E25

I hope so.

I think Maric deserves a senior game by now and I want Morton to really earn his spot back in the team.

He gets too much of the easy ball for my liking at the moment.

Well on one hand Maric needs to show something now or i think he is destined for the scrap heap.

On the other hand i have to disagree about Morton. The bloke is a jet. When he is in form he adds class and poise and beautiful, long, break the lines kicking. That is what we will need going forward.

All the good teams have similar sweeping type players and if he can use it and run and break the lines as well as ripping down marks then he will be invaluable. I just think this bloke is a massive part of the team we are trying to build for a tilt at the flag down the track!

Good to see Morton, Bail and Warnock back in contention after they were Casey's star players for a couple of weeks running - especially Bail (and Warnock has been an absolute MACHINE according to Gotch!).

I don't see any value in Maric at Subi. Give Addam his 2010 debut on home soil I say.

My thoughts are...

IN: Bail, Morton, Warnock

OUT: Trengove (hip), Cheney (unfortunate), MacDonald

Well on one hand Maric needs to show something now or i think he is destined for the scrap heap.

On the other hand i have to disagree about Morton. The bloke is a jet. When he is in form he adds class and poise and beautiful, long, break the lines kicking. That is what we will need going forward.

All the good teams have similar sweeping type players and if he can use it and run and break the lines as well as ripping down marks then he will be invaluable. I just think this bloke is a massive part of the team we are trying to build for a tilt at the flag down the track!

I agree that Morton is all those things, but I don't want him to get by on those things alone.

I think he could go harder in the contest and run the other way harder.

I'm interested in him getting the absolute best out of himself and becoming a star for the club.

By making him earn his spot back by working on his deficiencies in the VFL, it might help him along that path.

Win, lose or draw is irrelevant to me if it hampers the way we develop our players.