2010 All Australian team annouunced

jayceebee31

Just namedhttp://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97405/default.aspx

The 2010 NAB AFL All-Australian team is as follows:

Defenders: Ben Jacobs (VM), Matt Watson(VM), Dyson Heppell (VC), Shaun Atley (VC), Patrick McCarthy (SA), Brodie Smith (SA)

Midfield: Jared Polec (SA), Daniel Gorringe (SA), Andrew Gaff (VM), Mitch Hallahan (VC), Anthony Miles (NSW/ACT), Tom Liberatore (VM)

Forwards: Harley Bennell (WA), Lucas Cook (VC), Adam Treloar (VC), Jayden Pitt (VC), Steven May (NT), Josh Caddy (VM)

Interchange: Sam Day (SA), Josh Bruce (NSW/ACT), Josh Green (Tas), Sam Darley (TAS)

Coach: Robert Hyde (VC)

Assistant coach: Matt Armstrong (Tas)

Not surprised Jack Darling did not make it- but he will be up there when picks are taken.And Deeluded- May included.

Edited by jayceebee31

Just namedhttp://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97405/default.aspx

Defenders: Ben Jacobs (VM), Matt Watson(VM), Dyson Heppell (VC), Shaun Atley (VC), Patrick McCarthy (SA), Brodie Smith (SA)

Midfield: Jared Polec (SA), Daniel Gorringe (SA), Andrew Gaff (VM), Mitch Hallahan (VC), Anthony Miles (NSW/ACT), Tom Liberatore (VM)

Forwards: Harley Bennell (WA), Lucas Cook (VC), Adam Treloar (VC), Jayden Pitt (VC), Steven May (NT), Josh Caddy (VM)

Interchange: Sam Day (SA), Josh Bruce (NSW/ACT), Josh Green (Tas), Sam Darley (TAS)

Not surprised Jack Darling did not make it- but he will be up there when picks are taken.And Deeluded- May included.

Take with a grain of salt. Panos from SA was in the AA team last year and wasn't even drafted. WHo of this lot are key forwards? can someone tell me.

Take with a grain of salt. Panos from SA was in the AA team last year and wasn't even drafted. WHo of this lot are key forwards? can someone tell me.

Cook, Gorringe, Day.

Jcb31. why were you not surprised that Jack Darling was not selected? He has been rumoured to go in the top 3 draft picks this year.

Panos was drafted by the Bulldogs - you goose

Jcb31. why were you not surprised that Jack Darling was not selected? He has been rumoured to go in the top 3 draft picks this year.

Jack Darling is another Butcher. Showed he was far better than most in the Under 16's and last year due to his matured body. He is 190 cms tall & well built now - but has not got great upside. IMO- will go around 10th pick. Will be another Daniel Rich IMO- ready for action straight away.At 190 cms tall- is he a pivotal forward?-- I don't think he can play in the AFL at 190 cms tall in such a key role as CHF or FF.. Again, I might be wrong but I do not think so.

My top 3 so far are:

Swallow

Bennell

Day

Surprise pick could be --Daniel Gorringe.Another Mathew Watson.

Edited by jayceebee31

Gorringe 200cm according to reports. At the AIS, also apparently playing senior footy at Norwood, plus now All Australian.

Ticking a few boxes.

Any idea who won the Larke medal for best player?

Harley Bennell- certainty to end up at GC17.

Gorringe will go top 10.

I like Cook personally, or Atley or Jacobs (considering who's likely to be left by our pick).

I like Cook personally, or Atley or Jacobs (considering who's likely to be left by our pick).

Lucas Cook is very skinny, ala jack watts. We would have to wait quite a while for those two to develop AFL standard bodies to hold down CHF and FF. Sure we got time, but i would like to see a more traditional Gorilla FF, seeing as we already have the versatile KPF in Watts (touch wood he comes good). Tall 195cm + forwards seem to be all the rage atm, long gone are the days of the traditional monster at FF.

Sure versatility is huge right about now, but there is nothing wrong with a FF that can only play FF, if he does it well. Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, LLoyd, our own courageous skipper 'Neita' (him being the exception, holding down CHB as well, he's just a champion). Bring back the Gorilla!!!!

Edited by Demon Disciple

Still drafted-- many have been great rookies.

More havent. And being on the rookie list is far cry from the potential reflected in the AA side. No shoo in of stardom

I thought Freak made a valid point on Panos. Hardly worth the "goose" call

Jack Darling is to small to be a forward. Being tried as a midfielder now. Has slipped dramatically from the start of the year. Terrible off field attitude helps too.

Hard to take the All-Australian team with a 'grain of salt'...fairly good indicator for the most part.

Am surprised to see Darling not included. As suggested seems to be destined to slip down a bit like Butcher which likely sees us around the mark should we go for him.

Comment without too much substance but feel the club may go for him given the chance. He would be a good chance to slot straight in and add something without a WHOLE heap of development. We'll see. Interesting times this draft as we will most likely be towards the bottom of the ladder and in the past expect to be taking note of the best 5 kids in the land, but this year we are looking at around the 11th best rated kids due to GC17.

Unless a tall is an absolute standout it is usually these types that slip a bit which would be good for us.

More havent. And being on the rookie list is far cry from the potential reflected in the AA side. No shoo in of stardom

I thought Freak made a valid point on Panos. Hardly worth the "goose" call

Just look at the current talls that started as rookies- Ruckman in particular that have taken time to develop- Cox, Sandilands, Jamar and Jolly.All vying for AA honours as senior players. Does not say that any player will not make it,however,to be drafted is the start whether on a senior list (AA just showas you are a very good junior)or rookie list, just ask Jordam McKenzie.

Edited by jayceebee31

Most players that make it in the AA side go on to be star footballers. Furthermore, the two key forwards that made the list were May & Cook.Gorringe played in the ruck and changed in the forward line..

Yeah-haha. I never said he didn't have some talent. But from what I thought of him last year, gut reaction, IMO a risky pick. BUT, I haven't seen him at all this year. I think he's also a tad short as a key forward. As I recall.

Maybe MFC should have picked Panos over Meesen in the Rookie Draft.. A decision they may later regret, only time will tell.

Never.

Even if Panos turned into a serviceable AFL player, the club are forging a culture of being true to their word and that is far more valuable.

Never.

Even if Panos turned into a serviceable AFL player, the club are forging a culture of being true to their word and that is far more valuable.

your are right about that, but i would like to see the reasoning behind picking a rookie that has played 6 games in 3 years. But, thats why MFC employ the big boys to handle these issues..

Interesting read on this years draft and how the recruiters think...

2010 draft

Interesting how they viewed talls (aside from elite talls) compared to mids but how this year will be different.

Yeah-haha. I never said he didn't have some talent. But from what I thought of him last year, gut reaction, IMO a risky pick. BUT, I haven't seen him at all this year. I think he's also a tad short as a key forward. As I recall.

Agree with all you state- however I do think May & Darling will make it although they are only 190 cm tall.It will be interesting when & who pick them up.