NO changes next week?... Really?

stuie

Apparently it's better to go with the same team that got thumped in a game we should have won rather than give some young blokes a chance to show they wanna play...

Read here...

I just don't get it, some blokes play badly and get dropped, others get rewarded with a second (or third, or forth, or 207th) chance...

We can't keep using our "development" stage as an excuse if we don't give anyone different a shot.

He never said he was definitely going to do it. He said he might - however with McDonald and Sylvia to return I highly doubt it will happen.

Complete over-reaction.

I'm just sick of being told we're a developing team when we have hardly seen Cheney, Spencer, Strauss, McNamara... give them a go! Bruce, Rivers, and Miller aren't getting any BETTER, why do they get the luxury of not getting dropped? (Albeit accounting for Millers token couple of weeks)

.... we have hardly seen Cheney, Spencer, Strauss, McNamara... give them a go!

Ah, short memories. Maybe go back and re-read some of the reports re those 4 from last week's Casey game, both from Gotch and from pundits on this forum (and others) who were there.

The phrase "not an AFL footballer" was used more than once.

Clutching at straws.

Apparently it's better to go with the same team that got thumped in a game we should have won rather than give some young blokes a chance to show they wanna play...

Bailey came out at the start of the year and said he wanted to give the side a good honest chance of stringing games together playing with as close to a consistent 22 as he could get it to.

Personally, I'm glad he's doing this, as swapping 6 players every week is the stuff of garbage threads on internet sites.

Sooner or later we, as a supporter group, have to accept that the cult of youth that permeates every thread here is not the bet way to run a football list.

Ah, short memories. Maybe go back and re-read some of the reports re those 4 from last week's Casey game, both from Gotch and from pundits on this forum (and others) who were there.

The phrase "not an AFL footballer" was used more than once.

Clutching at straws.

But I dare say "not an AFL Footballer" might have been used for a fair few MFC players yesterday too...

Aren't we developing? Aren't we a "young" team? What have we got to lose since we're not expecting to play finals?

I'm not saying ring the changes massively every week, but I AM saying give those few young blokes who are on the fringe a shot, not only for the sake of their confidence but also to show that EVERYONE needs to perform, young and old.

I'm just sick of being told we're a developing team when we have hardly seen Cheney, Spencer, Strauss, McNamara... give them a go! Bruce, Rivers, and Miller aren't getting any BETTER, why do they get the luxury of not getting dropped? (Albeit accounting for Millers token couple of weeks)

I am positive it will be more beneficial for our young players to play in teams that are competitive.

Filling our side with kids would make us less competitive.

There is a lot of development to be gained for some players by playing in a competitive side in the VFL as well as the AFL.

Scully and Trengove in particular are too good to benefit much from playing there.

Strauss, Cheney, Gysberts, Spencer et al I'm not so sure about. In fact it may be worse for their development to play AFL and get smashed than to be competitive in the VFL.

It's not rocket surgery.

I am positive it will be more beneficial for our young players to play in teams that are competitive.

There is a lot of development to be gained for some players by playing in a competitive side in the VFL as well as the AFL.

Scully and Trengove in particular are too good to benefit much from playing there.

Strauss, Cheney, Gysberts, Spencer et al I'm not so sure about. In fact it may be worse for their development to play AFL and get smashed than to be competitive in the VFL.

It's not rocket surgery.

Actually, judging by form etc I think it's mainly the kids that bring any competitiveness to the table...

And surely Casey could benefit from having Bruce, Rivers, Miller for a few weeks.... ;)

Read here...

I just don't get it, some blokes play badly and get dropped, others get rewarded with a second (or third, or forth, or 207th) chance...

We can't keep using our "development" stage as an excuse if we don't give anyone different a shot.

I must confess my first reaction was "drop them all" - but disgust is not a good basis for rational judgement. The facts are that so many players were down - where would you start? I find it hard to blame the forward line (although Miller's effort at goal at the Q1 siren was pathetic for a forward - I cannot believe that anyone calling themselves a full forward can kick as consistently badly as he does) given the quality of ball coming forward. The backline looked hesitant from the start. Adelaide called our much hyped combination of Jamar and Maloney...bluff and had two key rucks and Tippett. Rivers on Tippett gives away 8 cm or so. I must say that I thought Marik had the better of Jamar in the previous MCG game. To have 2 rucks plus Tippett meant we were stretched for height at times in our defence and in ruck - I have never been comfortable with one ruck and a pinch hitter. I though Dunne and Watts lead up play was adequate. Jones did good work on Thompson to 3q time.

I think Junior and Sylvia come straight in.

Our bottom 5 performing players based on the stats were - Miller, Jetta, Warnock, Watts, McKenzie.

I agree 'stuie', I'd like to see some others get a game to see where their at, but not at the expense of a capitulation of our team, (fall apart at the seams scenario)...

I'd like to see Maric get, 'back to back games', to see 'if he has the Hunger or Not'!

I'd like to give Strauss a run, maybe even this week, with perhaps Grimes gointo the middle, @ the expense of an underperforming Mid, whoever that may be.

But not too many changes @ once, so, with perhaps McDonald & Sylvia back, maybe the week after could be the go.

This would suggest otherwise.

Changes will be made: Bailey

Skipper James McDonald (hamstring) and forward/midfielder Colin Sylvia (toe) are among the contenders, likely to return from injury.

“I think we have to look at a couple of [changes] or probably some change. I don’t know how many, whether it’s one or two,” Bailey said post-match.

“The great challenge is for the guys who were poor [against Adelaide] to actually show something next week as well.

It's not rocket surgery.

I've just had the thought that one of our weaknesses on the weekend could well have been a lack of onfield leadership. With both Junior McDonald & Sylvia out of the team, it eseems that we lacked onfield direction & self belief.

So with this thought its interesting to see who did play well, or at least equal their Super coach averages. It looks like some of the kids did quite well in this regard...

On the issue of player game time turnover I don't think we have been too bad.

The Zero club for 2011 is 9 (excluding the 2 rookies who were not promoted/nominated) and there's still 9 games to go.

Take out 5 of those who are injured or coming back from injury that leaves 4. Bell, Cheney, Maric and McNamara.

We have a couple of players who have played only 1 or 2 games but given the pure number of kids we have had to blood

we have needed to keep some semblance of senior balance in the process. To just throw in as many kids as possible is not

responsible coaching, particularly in the first half of the season. We should also remember that McKenzie is a rookie so

to have got 10 games into him this year so far is a bonus.

Senior List Zeros: Bell, Blease, Cheney, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, Jurrah, Maric, McNamara, Tapscott

Rookie List Zeros: Healey, Meesen

Considering Casey lost by 124 points, I think the comments are fair.

Junior & Syliva are the only chance, if fit.

I would like to see Bennell come in for Jetta. Provides a bit more spark up forward and bit more unpredictability.