3 Reasons Why I'm really worried

Jammin' Demon

1. I've never been a Bailey hater, and I still believe we can do well going forward with Bailey as coach. However, I find it incredibly concerning that each area he highlights as a focus doesn't improve. Originally it was providing consistent 4 quarter efforts with pressure as a focus, something that with the exception of the Brisbane game Melbourne has failed to do all year, even against Richmond! Secondly it was improving our starts, it was the focus all week this week and in the week off yet somehow our coaching staff can't get the areas they want improved to happen. I would have been happier had we played a brilliant first ten minutes then get smashed rather than what happened against Adelaide today. I find it worrying that each time we have a focus it never reflects on the field.

2. Melbourne is yet to put in a serious effort, in which we are genuinely 'in the game' start to finish against our 'peer teams' that is teams at similar stages in their development to us who we should expect to beat or be competitive against. Richmond, despite recent form should be a fair way back in their development on us, so the win against them should be expected. Apart from that we have performed well in nothing to lose contests in which we threw everything at teams we would be expected to have no right to get close to. Yet against the teams Melbourne would, and should consider themselves a serious chance, and in games that were vital to our season and development we have put in nothing but insipid performances. North Melbourne, West Coast, Carlton, would all be games we should have at least been in from start to finish, yet against all we have not even been close to looking like winning for the majority of the game putting in only little bursts when the game was almost, or was completely, gone. Surely this is incredibly worrying given these need to be wins if we are to push for finals in the next years.

3. A clearly structured game plan with a forward set up that works has lacked from every game, including our most impressive wins. Watching North, Richmond of late, Carlton, Essendon it is clear what their game plan is and when it is working you can see what the upside is. With Melbourne, our run and players are exciting, but it is worrying how haphazard our standard plan is, even when it works, there has been a lack of clinical, well executed football from the demons this year and that is the way to build a finals team moving forward.

I think these are the major worries and while I remain optimistic and think our boys have a serious upside, particularly with Jurrah and Petterd coming back in to bolster our forward line next year these are major worries and I wonder how we rectify them.

Here are three more from me.

1. I don't believe that Warnock and Rivers are up to it. I know it doesn't help when it is coming in there as much as it did today, but i would like to see how we go with Frawley at FB, and the other 5 defenders slotted in around him.

2. The disposal efficiency of two of our potential stars in Scully and Grimes.

3. Our inability to get the ball inside 50 enough. Happens week in, week out with no improvement in sight.

1. I don't believe that Warnock and Rivers are up to it. I know it doesn't help when it is coming in there as much as it did today, but i would like to see how we go with Frawley at FB, and the other 5 defenders slotted in around him.

3. Our inability to get the ball inside 50 enough. Happens week in, week out with no improvement in sight.

After 10 or so games, Scully really should be better...considering he weighs 65 kgs wringing wet. As for Grimes he has had double that!!

Our issues lie with our senior players who have not cut it for some time.

Dont label these boys with the pressure of the past 5 years. Support them! They are our players!

3 reasons why I'm really not worried

1- Scully, Trengove, McKenzie, Gysberts, Morton, Blease, Tapscot

2- Frawley, Garland, Grimes, Jurrah, Watts, GAWN, Fitzpatrick

3- 2014 is still 4 pre-season away

Edited by Jaded

That will not work. Frawley was the only player today who would have been fast enough to stay with Dangerfield, if we had the luxury to put him FB we would.

Scully had some fantastic kicks today, creative and pin point. Grimes is not an issue of kicking, more so the choice he makes. It will work itself out and the better we get the more space will be created and our kicking will improve.

Edited by Mr Morton

3 reasons why I'm really not worried

1- Scully, Trengove, McKenzie, Gysberts, Morton, Blease, Tapscot

2- Frawley, Garland, Grimes, Jurrah, Watts, GAWN, Fitzpatrick

3- 2014 is still 4 pre-season away

Blease, Tapscot, Gawn and Fitzs will be stars having seen them play afl :huh:

Odds are the 3 of these players will not get to the standard you rate them to be in the future.

I'm starting to think similar 'JL', re, how long Warnocks tenure may be? Maybe we need to pick up bookends this draft.

Blease, Tapscot, Gawn and Fitzs will be stars having seen them play afl :huh:

Odds are the 3 of these players will not get to the standard you rate them to be in the future.

You're right, we are terrible, we'll continue to be terrible, and we should just give up now.

panic.jpg

You have killed that routine to death.

Easier to Goggle an appropriate picture than argue with people who clearly just enjoy getting themselves into a frenzied panic everytime we lose.

We are going to lose, we are going to play like crap. It's part of the development of a young team.

It's irritating to watch us serve [censored], but it doesn't mean that Warnock is now a hack because his opponent enjoyed silver service thanks to zero midfield pressure. It also doesn't mean that Bailey is a dud coach when 2 weeks ago he dragged us from certain defeat to a draw against a top 3 team.

The schizophrenic nature of some of the posters here is astounding.

Meh.

The dees will be a force again one day. As for right now, meh- could be worse.

No use worrying about the future with so many untried kids (including high draft picks) on the list.

This list is promising. Don't throw water on it now, we have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Easier to Goggle an appropriate picture than argue with people who clearly just enjoy getting themselves into a frenzied panic everytime we lose.

We are going to lose, we are going to play like crap. It's part of the development of a young team.

It's irritating to watch us serve [censored], but it doesn't mean that Warnock is now a hack because his opponent enjoyed silver service thanks to zero midfield pressure. It also doesn't mean that Bailey is a dud coach when 2 weeks ago he dragged us from certain defeat to a draw against a top 3 team.

What ????

Obviously we are going to lose atm, and obviously we will be guns with our draft picks.....boring topic.

your not reading my posts? maybe someone else? Warnock will be in our flag team.

I am saying your had players who had only played 1 game or none in reasons why we will be good? They have shown nothing yet and odds say most of them won't make it. Chill out and read through things properly.

Adelaide's field kicking was fantastic today because we applied zero pressure to them; doesn't that concern you at all?

We usually lose over there by about 60 to 70 points so I guess if you are a half full person you could say we improved by 20 to 30 points, I'm not and I think today's, lack of effort, stinks.

There are other young teams and they are not as inconsistent as we are so that's just crap; make no mistake today was a bad day for the club and it showed up flaws in our recruiting and coaching.

There are other young teams and they are not as inconsistent as we are so that's just crap; make no mistake today was a bad day for the club and it showed up flaws in our recruiting and coaching.

Depends which teams you consider young.

Norf? Good wins but being pumped by 70+ many times. Wouldn't call em consistent.

Tiggers? Having a good patch but what about the 10 before then. MFC haven't had a good patch?

Weagles?

I consider essendon, Carlton slightly in front of development but if you want to measure us to them, you'll be pulling your hair out all year.

this.

Everyone please calm down.

What concerned me today was our midfield was smashed without McDonald and Sylvia (with heavy tags to Moloney and Davey).

What got rid of that concern was that Morton, Scully, Trengove, McKenzie and Gysberts should be around the mark for years together. Jones, Moloney, Davey, Sylvia still plenty of footy left. We got a taste of Grimes in the middle. Plus Blease, Tapscott and others haven't got started yet.

The midfield is the most important area on the ground. Just look at Geelong v StKilda on Friday night. I hope we take it to the saints in the middle next week.

I have a dedicated theory that the thing that affects disposal efficiency the most is the player(s) who get the ball NEXT, more than the one who has it at the time.

As a team, we completely failed to handle the tight zone Adelaide put together - just like we rarely look good coming in from a kick-in. It's as if the players get hypnotised by having the opposition just standing on their stations, and we're so used to having to think about how to respond to their attack in our back half that we haven't got a rythm to hit back.

So often we're left without a strong option to kick to - we haven't figured out how to create a favourable pack like a 3-on-2. It's as if it slipped through and we don't actually have an assistant coach handling that aspect.

+1