White Clash Jumper

Guest Redleg_24

It was Carlton's home game......

While there is navy blue in both jumpers then the scope for a clash

So you are telling me that for over 100 years that whenever Melbourne & Carlton played each other nobody was ever able to tell the teams apart?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not this again?!

If we were winning noone would give a sh!t. Walls had a go at Carlton's white strip a couple years back but now they are winning he hasn't said a damn thing.

This is people releasing their frustration through anger at side issues. Yeah, we are playing badly but expectations went too high too soon.

I don't care either way, but I was surprised nonetheless to see us run out in the white and not the red. Especially since we wore red against Carlton last year.

I actually like both of our clash jumpers and I think they are probably the best clash guernseys in the comp. They are also huge sellers judging by the number of them I see in the crowd at each game.

I don't care either way, but I was surprised nonetheless to see us run out in the white and not the red. Especially since we wore red against Carlton last year.

Same.

So you are telling me that for over 100 years that whenever Melbourne & Carlton played each other nobody was ever able to tell the teams apart?

Do you deliberately misrepresent another persons point of view in the vain belief it makes your position more plausible or are you just....?

I and others have answered the reason for a clash guernsey on another thread on clash jumpers when you couldn't work out why there was a clash. Go fetch.

Do you deliberately misrepresent another persons point of view in the vain belief it makes your position more plausible or are you just....?

I and others have answered the reason for a clash guernsey on another thread on clash jumpers when you couldn't work out why there was a clash. Go fetch.

Just answer the Question RR, it's quite simple...or maybe it is hard because clash jumpers are really not needed & the Football public has been conned once again.

I don't mind it, actually prefer it to the red one, which to me looks nothing more than a training top. Either way i don't really care to be honest. We, along with almost every other club have to wear one every now and then. Big deal.

If it's anything like last year I expect us to wear the red strip (if it still exists??) against Port and St Kilda. I expect us to wear the white strip against Adelaide, Brisbane and Fremantle.

I like a clash strip and am happy to wear it 6-7 times a year. Maybe in 20 years, all clubs will be wearing clash strips in all of their away games - like all the other big leagues around the world.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Just answer the Question RR, it's quite simple...or maybe it is hard because clash jumpers are really not needed & the Football public has been conned once again.

As has been told to you a number of times.... the pace of the game has increased dramatically in the past 20,10, 5 years. Its get even quicker in the past 3 years. Players have less time to react with the ball, in a contest. There are more bodies at every contested situation.

I would have thought the test case of the Mothers Day round against the Dogs would amply demonstrate the problem of even close matching of colours. And in fact here are some passages from the Adrian Anderson thread where you were upset over the clash of colours with the umpires. And whether its the umpires or the teams clashing the problem is the same as you clearly admit to.

On Triple M, he just admitted that the umpire uniform choice was a mistake but once started couldn't do anything about it

Although a huge stuff-up, it's good to see him on the front foot in the morning admitting a stuff up

Too little too late Anderson. Thanks for stuffing up my week APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED. How dare umpires wear Red & Blue anyway!

It would have been far easier to learn the lesson during the week. They wore Blue shorts FFS. You can be all smarmy if you like but i am Furious that was allowed. Particulairly with the weather.

The clash of colours confused the players and clearly upset supporters like you.

Your position in this thread is hypocritical to melodrama you carried on with in another thread.

You really are a wind bag of hot air with no thoughtful or consistent position on matters.

When it comes to being conned, I know exactly where you are in the queue.

As has been told to you a number of times.... the pace of the game has increased dramatically in the past 20,10, 5 years. Its get even quicker in the past 3 years. Players have less time to react with the ball, in a contest. There are more bodies at every contested situation.

I would have thought the test case of the Mothers Day round against the Dogs would amply demonstrate the problem of even close matching of colours. And in fact here are some passages from the Adrian Anderson thread where you were upset over the clash of colours with the umpires. And whether its the umpires or the teams clashing the problem is the same as you clearly admit to.

The clash of colours confused the players and clearly upset supporters like you.

Your position in this thread is hypocritical to melodrama you carried on with in another thread.

You really are a wind bag of hot air with no thoughtful or consistent position on matters.

As has been told to you???? Are you little's mother?

Pace of the game...give me a break? Your just trotting out AFL press releases now!! If anyone believes that is the defining reason that clash jumpers were warranted I suggest pull your head out of the sand or have you forgotten who owns the rights to club merchandise?

Counter argument to the pace of the game is far too easy.....they play on pristine grounds with hardly a speck of mud so it is quite easy to identify who is who, but again pace of the game has nothing to do with it.

All the mothers day game proved is that the umpires should not wear the same color as one of the competing teams and the AFL made a massive blue....it wasn't a clash, it was the same damn strip!!!

As has been told to you???? Are you little's mother?

Pace of the game...give me a break? Your just trotting out AFL press releases now!! If anyone believes that is the defining reason that clash jumpers were warranted I suggest pull your head out of the sand or have you forgotten who owns the rights to club merchandise?

Counter argument to the pace of the game is far too easy.....they play on pristine grounds with hardly a speck of mud so it is quite easy to identify who is who, but again pace of the game has nothing to do with it.

All the mothers day game proved is that the umpires should not wear the same color as one of the competing teams and the AFL made a massive blue....it wasn't a clash, it was the same damn strip!!!

The decisions of players and umpire are made in split seconds and the clash of guernseys provides complications for all participants. Players and umpires have commented before on this. If the clash guernsey issue was such a huge merchandising bonanza why is it that some clubs who would seemingly benefit most from it so reluctant to change. Everyone would prefer to wear their own strip.

Sorry, the counter argument does not work as your argument focusses on the fact they dont have muddy grounds not on the pace of the game. The game was slower then with only one field umpire and slower movement of the ball.

And why was the Mothers Day an issue?? Hmmmm. Because the clash of colours caused confusion for players and clearly frustration for spectators. MFC's Mother's Day guernsey was the MFC jumper with pink yoke and blue shorts. The umpires attire was all pink shirt and blue shorts. One team was in predominantly blue and the other predominantly pink. It was still enough of a clash to cause due concern. This is the exact reason why inverting the MFC jumper with the blue yoke will still clashes with the Carlton strip.

The decisions of players and umpire are made in split seconds and the clash of guernseys provides complications for all participants. Players and umpires have commented before on this. If the clash guernsey issue was such a huge merchandising bonanza why is it that some clubs who would seemingly benefit most from it so reluctant to change. Everyone would prefer to wear their own strip.

Sorry, the counter argument does not work as your argument focusses on the fact they dont have muddy grounds not on the pace of the game. The game was slower then with only one field umpire and slower movement of the ball.

And why was the Mothers Day an issue?? Hmmmm. Because the clash of colours caused confusion for players and clearly frustration for spectators. MFC's Mother's Day guernsey was the MFC jumper with pink yoke and blue shorts. The umpires attire was all pink shirt and blue shorts. One team was in predominantly blue and the other predominantly pink. It was still enough of a clash to cause due concern. This is the exact reason why inverting the MFC jumper with the blue yoke will still clashes with the Carlton strip.

Rhino - all clubs, especially the strong financial ones make decisions based on their needs at the time.....the same as coaches always call for rule changes according to their agenda at the time..ie the cattle and game plan they have to work with.

Do you think Collingwood pre Ed McGuire when they were almost broke would not have jumped aboard and complied with the AFL to bring in a clash knowing the revenue such merchandise could bring? IMO - which means little I know, they would have jumped at it because they would have had to.

Good on them that they are now in such a strong financial postion that Ed can preach to the masses "we wont change"....I wish Melbourne were so financially sound that they could do the same.

There is nothing wrong with peoples passions showing through in not wanting anything else but the jumper they grew to love being worn week in week out....I will have to agree to disagree with you stronly that there is such a concern of clashing was the reason the AFL mandated that change. I have not played the game so I wouldn't know from that perspective, I have played at 100 levels lower and never had a problem and because there is no cash at grassroots there is of course no clash!!

I'm rambling and I've said enough...

Go Dees and go the Red and Blue! Not the insipid Silver, White, Off White, Beige or whatever!!

How anyone could "quite like", or "not mind" the white clash strip would have to be one of life's great mysterys. It's hideous. I wanted to punch the closest person to me when I saw it on Saturday. Thankfully, I have extraordinary self control.

As i thought you are a believer of Adrian Anderson's rhetoric.

There's absolutely no reason for melbourne to wear a White strip. They are not our colours.

i like the colours we have worn for well over 100 years-I don't think i am over reacting. You Rhino just like a good arguement.

Footscray are red white & Blue. We the MFC are Red & Blue.

There is no RED in a carlton jumper or sock. so we should should wear the Red clash strip if we must at all.

Don't bring in the umpires colours into this-that is there problem.

How anyone could "quite like", or "not mind" the white clash strip would have to be one of life's great mysterys. It's hideous. I wanted to punch the closest person to me when I saw it on Saturday. Thankfully, I have extraordinary self control.

It's not that i quite like it or don't mind it.

I actively like the white jumper!

Almost bought one but opted for the predominantly red with blue demon which is my preferred clash jumper.

But the white, harking back to the club's original Invincible Whites heritage, with a demon and red and blue - it's got the lot really.

The trad jumper clashes with the Blues navy and the Bombers red (as Peter Walsh's game winning handpass to James Hird so clearly demonstrated a few years back.)

This may have been mentioned before on this thread but being at work i have to keep my window size pretty small..

Why don't we just reverse the jumper?

Our clash jumper would mainly be red with a navy blue V, thrown on the red shorts and the redlegs!

It's the same colours and a pretty simple idea that will be ignored i'm sure...

This may have been mentioned before on this thread but being at work i have to keep my window size pretty small..

Why don't we just reverse the jumper?

Our clash jumper would mainly be red with a navy blue V, thrown on the red shorts and the redlegs!

It's the same colours and a pretty simple idea that will be ignored i'm sure...

Offered it. AFL said no.

For me, the bottom line is this. Out of all the disposals in a year of football, how many are 'clash' related opposition gifts? Surely very few. 0.01% ? How many of these have come about solely due to supposed 'clash' adjustments? An unhealthy percentage IMO.

Sometimes I turn on the footy and have no idea who is playing. That in itself is a real turn-off.

In 15 years playing basketball, a game of much faster ball movement, I can't recall myself or a team mate ever passing to the opposition. Simple, traditional, colours which were inverted when necessary. Revolutionary.

Edit: ID: 'AFL said no.' I read that in the voice of Carol Beer (Little Britain).

Edited by Trident

WYL digging his own grave yet again...

I get many a good chuckle reading his work...

For me, the bottom line is this. Out of all the disposals in a year of football, how many are 'clash' related opposition gifts? Surely very few. 0.01% ? How many of these have come about solely due to supposed 'clash' adjustments? An unhealthy percentage IMO.

Sometimes I turn on the footy and have no idea who is playing. That in itself is a real turn-off.

In 15 years playing basketball, a game of much faster ball movement, I can't recall myself or a team mate ever passing to the opposition. Simple, traditional, colours which were inverted when necessary. Revolutionary.

Edit: ID: 'AFL said no.' I read that in the voice of Carol Beer (Little Britain).

It's about more than just the effect on the players.

It's about the viewers, at the ground and on TV, who sometimes struggle to work out who is who. Geelong vs Collingwood, for example, or Collingwood vs North Melbourne. Or Essendon/Richmond.

Guest Redleg_24

post-5792-127605916612_thumb.jpgGuys,

I will offer you 5 different clash designs I have come up with. IMHO each are far better than th current and do not clash with any other clubs strip! I just dont think it is that hard. All resemble Melbourne more than the current clash strip. I would appreciate your feedback. I will add more as I come up with them post-5792-127605905561_thumb.jpg

Like them.

The only thing I would hate to see would be us playing in a Grand Final not wearing our jumper. Obviously I'd love to make a GF but you get the point.

Like them.

The only thing I would hate to see would be us playing in a Grand Final not wearing our jumper. Obviously I'd love to make a GF but you get the point.

This will be the REALLY interesting test of the AFL's resolve on the clash guernseys. I rather feel that the majority of the clubs are just accepting being dictated to where home & away games are concerned, but we haven't had any clashes on GF day in the "clash era" and I would be amazed to see a club wear something other than their traditional strip in a Grand Final.

Personally I have no problem with our clash strips, there will never be an alternative that pleases everyone, it's not that big of a deal, the club has bigger fish to fry than spend all year messing around with guernseys. However, I just couldn't abide us playing a GF in anything but our traditional guernsey.

However, I just couldn't abide us playing a GF in anything but our traditional guernsey.

Agree.

post-5792-127605916612_thumb.jpgGuys,

I will offer you 5 different clash designs I have come up with. IMHO each are far better than th current and do not clash with any other clubs strip! I just dont think it is that hard. All resemble Melbourne more than the current clash strip. I would appreciate your feedback. I will add more as I come up with them post-5792-127605905561_thumb.jpg

The inverted is fine if it has to be....the white IMO is just insipid and I don't like it....the socks of the red/white/blue is for the dogs not us. Not to say I don't like the actual design you have put forward Redleg.....it has merit and I like the MFC crest.

Obviously the away or 'clash' team wears white shorts which IMO are preferable than red shorts.

I dont like clash jumpers, never have, never will and don't think there is a need for them to be there or at least trotted out as much as they are...which I understand is the AFL's call but IMO Essendon is the only team we should ever have to wear the 'clash'

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that a Dees V Carlton Grand Final could happen....and I would be devastated if we wore anything other than the strip I grew up to love. If the AFL back flip on Grand Final day...IMO it just proves how hypocritical they can be...my money will be on the AFL not enforcing this.