Bruce v Rivers v Macdonald

jacey

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's obvious that Garland, Frawley and Warnock are our 3 KPP and first picks in the back 6.

Rivers is always the odd one out when finding matchups. Not great strength with one on ones, not tall and not quick. Sure he reads it well and still decent but IMO he should be fighting with Bruce and Macdonald for the one maybe 2 spots. Playing on the 4th forward/ loose backman, we don't need 3 blokes doing the same job. We need to shed one of them or move one of them elsewhere ie Bruce forward line/ Rivers forward line. I won't lose sleep shedding 2.

None of the above. All three have disposal flaws in their game, be it execution or decision making. MacDonald IMO has a better one on one defensive capability then the other two. I would like to bring in Cheney or Strauss or move Bennell back there and have Grimes as that 4th defender/loose man.

None of the above. All three have disposal flaws in their game, be it execution or decision making. MacDonald IMO has a better one on one defensive capability then the other two. I would like to bring in Cheney or Strauss or move Bennell back there and have Grimes as that 4th defender/loose man.

Cameron Bruce - has been a good clubman and I wont put him out to dry.....but to find some symmetry he and Green started their careers together...3-4 years ago I would have had Cam in front but Green has flown past him, re-invented his game showing courage and selfless acts. IMO Bruce has not changed or improved. I wouldnt go as far as calling him soft, I'll say that he tends to be too 'cute' in what he is trying to do....when pushing forward his set shot skills have got worse each year.

Rivers - I am still a fan but clearly he is struggling more and more when one on one with a strong opponent....as a loose man reading the play he is almost the equal of anyone in the league......

MacDonald - For mine the jury is still out.....speed has been picked up as an issue, dont think he is slow, whenever forwards put a lot of pressue on a backline anyone can look slow, he is fast enough and finds the ball, his use is still a query....if he uses it well he is a good player.

Clearly - Chip, Warnock and Col Garland our 1st choice defenders as far as key position is concerned....Grimes will more than likely continue in this role, Bartram is doing a good job with players like Strauss ready to take it so options are good here. Cale Morton is capable of taking over from Cam Bruce but still has a bit to prove but IMO has plenty to offer and will get better and better.

Bruce has to be the one to demand a spot ahead of Rivers and MacDonald IMO. As Bruce is the only one with the versatility to go into the midfield or forward if required aswell as playing down back.

MacDonald I'd play ahead of Rivers also as he provides more running ability and can be more damaging then Rivers.

Rivers I feel for as I'm a big fan of his and he's become a victim of our emerging defensive talent, Frawley/Garland in particular. Hate to say it but at seasons end I feel Rivers may become trade bait, in particular for one of Hawthorn, St. Kilda or Adelaide.

Guest oldman emubitter

i think the weekends game showed there is a spot for Stef Martin in our backline with Jared the unlucky one to miss out. Stef's upside is big and he has played his best footy in defence.Chip,whilst a big lad, can go with the mid and smaller sized forwards. In fact he tears 'em a new a-hole more often than not, like johnston on saturday

i think the weekends game showed there is a spot for Stef Martin in our backline with Jared the unlucky one to miss out. Stef's upside is big and he has played his best footy in defence.Chip,whilst a big lad, can go with the mid and smaller sized forwards. In fact he tears 'em a new a-hole more often than not, like johnston on saturday

What about the forgotten man- CHENEY

I hate bagging out players...espescially those who have provided an unbeliavable service to the MFC...however carefully watch BRUCE's disposal...time and time again he will put players under pressure with his hospital handpasses and dumb kicks...every disposal he gets, he rushes it and looks to put no thouhgt into it...

I am begining to think this will well and truly be his last season at the dees...

I personaly really liked Stef Martin in our backline last year, cant see him making it as a forward or a permanent 2nd ruck but could be the 3rd tall back with Garland too play on any harder style match ups. I would also like too see Jack Grimmes play the same roll as Sam Gilbert from the Saints as the loose man in defence. He has the tank and skill plus he reads the play so well. Frawly and Warnock with out a doubt are our Key defenders. Batram can play the run with stopping roll. That leaves Bruce, Joel Mac and Rivers to fight for 2 spots in the back line with Cheney making claims in the VFL. Has Rivers ever been tried forward? I can't remember and not even sure if its worth a try. I would prefer Bennell and Davey either on the ball or forward of centre they are creative and dangerous.