• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Selling home games to Darwin

red&blue&true

I can see the good points and I can see the bad points

Its good to help us create more money for the club and to help us increase our support base for now.

However when Melbourne Improves and we are fighting for a top four spot then it could be detrimental to our chances.

If, as has been suggested before in another post that arrangement could be made to play it just before the long break than that would not be so bad

However I dont think the AFL gives a Ducks behind about what we want as far as scheduling is concerned .

So the decision on moving home games to Darwin in the future will certainly, have a real impact on us as a club.

It will have far reaching affects, as far as our season prospects in the future are concerned

I hope that our Football requirements are the determining factor not financial or supporter based if that works in with those requirements than good if not than for god sakes dont.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fatty

He is right you are confused about cause and effect.

And you dont undertand the objective of the AFL. Its not the self serving "level playing field" dogma you're fantasizing above.

I fully understand the objective of the AFL, Rhino. I'm arguing what its objectives should be.

As I told Inner Demon there are plenty of people who think like you do.

But how could wanting a level playing field with equality for all clubs be "self-serving"? Its a contradiction in terms.

Its not really worth entering into a cause & effect argument with you now.

The only thing that confuses me is how people continue to buy the argument that we have no right to the same free to air coverage as other clubs.

But don't feel bad. Most people also think like you and believe that we have to suck it up because its okay for the AFL to make money at the expense of what its real function should be to provide a fair competition with a level playing field for all clubs.

Winning Games will get us Free to air coverage and more favourable fixtures. The General Public will not watch losers & why should they.

Considering our last 3 years our fixture this year has been brilliant in the first 12 weeks.

I fully understand the objective of the AFL, Rhino. I'm arguing what its objectives should be.

As I told Inner Demon there are plenty of people who think like you do.

But how could wanting a level playing field with equality for all clubs be "self-serving"? Its a contradiction in terms.

Its not really worth entering into a cause & effect argument with you now.

Look at the first and third lines. Its not a contradiction just you trying to self sauce your pudding.

Glad your stopping while behind. Wise. ;)

Interesting to see that both us and Port had ~50 point losses after that energy-sapping game up in Darwin.

Obviously the opposition we both played against were vastly different, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Ideally we could play this game before a split round or a bye (however the fixture works out), but not sure if that will mean it can't run concurrently with the indigenous round.

Something to consider going forward.

Guest fatty

Look at the first and third lines. Its not a contradiction just you trying to self sauce your pudding.

Glad your stopping while behind. Wise. ;)

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

I said the AFL should provide a level playing field. I think you said that such a concept is self-serving.

Then you said something about puddings...

Interesting to see that both us and Port had ~50 point losses after that energy-sapping game up in Darwin.

Obviously the opposition we both played against were vastly different, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Ideally we could play this game before a split round or a bye (however the fixture works out), but not sure if that will mean it can't run concurrently with the indigenous round.

Something to consider going forward.

Imagine if Geelong had played Port ! Hooly Dooly. ;)

interesting point in the article about the geelong "interstate" trip with Brad Miller. He lost 3.8kg during the Darwin game. Thats alot to make back in one week.

Crucial point for the critics of resting Scull & Trenners to consider. If Miller playing deep forward for the majority of the contest lost nearly 4kgs during the game, how much do you think the two boys playing on the ball would've shed?? There's only 77kgs on Scully to start with, it's pretty understandable that he wouldn't be right to go if he lost 5-6kgs.

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here.

For now, I agree selling home games is good. We need money and wins aren't particularly important right now.

However, I think that soon we'll find on-field negatives start outweighing the benefits.

First, we're playing just one game a year at Darwin so it's hardly a 'home ground'. In fact, IIRC we'll be playing Port there every year, and they will be playing two games a year there (away matches versus us and WB each year). [Edit: In fact, we're only playing there in 2 of the next 3 years, while Port plays six games in that period].

Second, it seems playing at Darwin is much more taxing on the players than other interstate trips, which compounds the competitive disadvantage of selling away home games.

You might think that the on-field disadvtantage, if there is one, is outweighed by the prospect of building a supporter base in Darwin. However, we'll be playing there [edit: much] less than Port, and [edit: the same amount as both the WB and Richmond].

Regardless, is the chance of gaining a foothold in Darwin worth more than wins as we push towards what many of us think will be our best chance of being a legitimate flag contender in years?

It's only going to get harder to win a flag with 18 sides in the competition...

Maybe in the preseason they could go up there and train for a few weeks. It is good that the team and officials go up there and interact with the community it shows that we care about the indegenious players welfare. Having there family and friends been able to watch them live. Down the track we might get more playing for us for this reason.

Edited by Happeninghunts

Crucial point for the critics of resting Scull & Trenners to consider. If Miller playing deep forward for the majority of the contest lost nearly 4kgs during the game, how much do you think the two boys playing on the ball would've shed?? There's only 77kgs on Scully to start with, it's pretty understandable that he wouldn't be right to go if he lost 5-6kgs.

That is the reason for the non selection for sure. The scenario going around that we "tanked" the Geelong game is just Disrespectful and shows a lack of understanding for Top End Humidity. Go for a walk in the Kimberleys for an hour & you will know what i mean.

Those young boys would have been knackered to the max after that game. Gysberts got his chance (and took it) Good. ;)

The scenario going around that we "tanked" the Geelong game is just Disrespectful and shows a lack of understanding for Top End Humidity.

We were certainties to win at Geelong if it wasn't for Darwin. On the plausible scale that scenario comes in at an all time low.

We were certainties to win at Geelong if it wasn't for Darwin. On the plausible scale that scenario comes in at an all time low.

I agree, Cameron Ling would have Bulldozed Scully & Trengove last saturday. Nobody has mentioned mental fatigue either, which could easily be another reason for a rest for 2 young minds, who do have a lot of responsibility.

This has been an excellent discussion ( thanks R&B&T for raising the question) . Many good points both ways.

I fully support the initiative in our current circumstances - but whether or not we continue depends upon the fixture. I think I have heard DB say that in future we will ask that the game precede the mid-season break.If the AFL agrees to this then the benefits must surely outweigh the costs.

It is interesting that we only have our "toe in the water" - with an agreement to play 2 yrs in every 3.There is an argument to say that if you are going to do it then you should do it properly. Do we want to build a strong base there - or are we really just helping Port consolidate its presence? It would seem to make more sense to do it before the break every year.

Hey Hoopla, why did you edit your post?

Are you on the Board yet?

For now, I agree selling home games is good. We need money and wins aren't particularly important right now.

However, I think that soon we'll find on-field negatives start outweighing the benefits.

First, we're playing just one game a year at Darwin so it's hardly a 'home ground'. In fact, IIRC we'll be playing Port there every year, and they will be playing two games a year there (away matches versus us and WB each year). [Edit: In fact, we're only playing there in 2 of the next 3 years, while Port plays six games in that period].

Second, it seems playing at Darwin is much more taxing on the players than other interstate trips, which compounds the competitive disadvantage of selling away home games.

You might think that the on-field disadvtantage, if there is one, is outweighed by the prospect of building a supporter base in Darwin. However, we'll be playing there [edit: much] less than Port, and [edit: the same amount as both the WB and Richmond].

Regardless, is the chance of gaining a foothold in Darwin worth more than wins as we push towards what many of us think will be our best chance of being a legitimate flag contender in years?

I agree, but I'm sure Schwaby is onto that.

For what its worth, IMO we should ask for a Friday night Darwin game - RND 11!

www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fixtures/team/0,,2,00.html

That would give us about 10 days between Rnds, prior to the Queens B/Day clash.

After all that, geographically it seems to me that Port is the closest, as well as culturally. I do want to form a bond with my indigenous freinds, but I don't think it has to be Darwin to do that.

Firstly I'd like to see a pre - season cup game televised from the Red centre,,, Deemons v ????????.......... And secondly, they're may be a strong indigenous following in Nth Qld???

What is the marketability of the Area, say between Bundaberg to Townsville.... That may make a nice little winter midweek getaway to spend a few days unwinding before or after the game. That would be cheaper airfare & more comfortable weatherwise, as well as easier on the players. Maybe we could work a package between the club & a Mainland or Island resort. That to me could be a longer term project that could be more promotable. I think there is a couple of Demonlanders up there in the North, if I recall. What do you guys think & where would be nicest coast with most hospitable climate?

I'm not against Darwin, but it is closer to Port, who are struggling.

Edited by dee-luded

What is the marketability of the Area, say between Bundaberg to Townsville....

Rubbish.

Everyone supports Rugby League up here, and only talk about the AFL if the Lions are going well.

There are pockets of AFL support, but I've found them to be mostly Carlton/Collingwood fans.

Rubbish.

Everyone supports Rugby League up here, and only talk about the AFL if the Lions are going well.

There are pockets of AFL support, but I've found them to be mostly Carlton/Collingwood fans.

I have spent a LOT of time in Cairns - they have pretty much zero appreciation for "Gayfl/ Arial Ping Pong".

Rubbish.

Oh,,,, thats disappointing.

I agree, but I'm sure Schwaby is onto that.

For what its worth, IMO we should ask for a Friday night Darwin game - RND 11!

www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fixtures/team/0,,2,00.html

That would give us about 10 days between Rnds, prior to the Queens B/Day clash.

After all that, geographically it seems to me that Port is the closest, as well as culturally. I do want to form a bond with my indigenous freinds, but I don't think it has to be Darwin to do that.

Firstly I'd like to see a pre - season cup game televised from the Red centre,,, Deemons v ????????.......... And secondly, they're may be a strong indigenous following in Nth Qld???

What is the marketability of the Area, say between Bundaberg to Townsville.... That may make a nice little winter midweek getaway to spend a few days unwinding before or after the game. That would be cheaper airfare & more comfortable weatherwise, as well as easier on the players. Maybe we could work a package between the club & a Mainland or Island resort. That to me could be a longer term project that could be more promotable. I think there is a couple of Demonlanders up there in the North, if I recall. What do you guys think & where would be nicest coast with most hospitable climate?

I'm not against Darwin, but it is closer to Port, who are struggling.

Why would it be better to try a region that is in a state that will have 2 teams of its own to support rather than a footy mad state capital who have no local team???? Because there's a Club Med nearby??? Wouldn't have thought so.

Melbourne should keep pushing for Darwin games. The MFC is a business, and the NT is one of the only untouched AFL markets left in Australia. If successful, this should generate more revenue for the club and to help build the brand.

Just look at how successful the partnership with Tasmania has been for Hawthorn over the last couple of years.

Yes but the population of Darwin is 114,000 - on that basis Frankston is an untapped market. The City of Casey with 240,000 is an untouched market. Lets face it with 33,000 members in a city of 4m Melbourne is an untapped market for Melbourne! There is plenty of potential in selling Melbourne a team that is etched in Melbourne's history, playing at a ground named after the team (it isnt?) which is well served by public transport that can serve up 30,000 (for now) gate receipts. The Darwin ground holds 8,000 as I recall. If the objective is to wave the flag in the NT there are other ways that dont bugger us next week.

Edited by poseidon burke

Why would it be better to try a region that is in a state that will have 2 teams of its own to support rather than a footy mad state capital who have no local team???? Because there's a Club Med nearby??? Wouldn't have thought so.

Club Med??? Whats that!

My thinking was broader based than that & Not arranged as an attack on anyone.

I was stating my thoughts in response to a well written article by 'Rogue'. He made some very good points I thought, which I could see the merit.

So, my thoughts that grew from that article were as I wrote them.

If Port are to play more games up there than us, we may be up against it, with regard to becoming established as the favoured local side.

Its expensive to fly from Melbourne to Darwin compared to Qld. Simple really, it was an expression of Idea with a question directed to Qld Dees who live there, What their thoughts are.

Personally, I like the Idea of a mid winter getaway & I'd love to go to Darwin, once. So, what could provide those things as well as being cheaper, & more hospitable weatherwise?

What are your Innermost thoughts, 'Inner Demon'? And why?

I think it is, expanding the brand interstate and the Darwin crowd seem to love it

There were a higher percentage of Melbournians at the MCG today than there were for the Port v Melb game, which is one of Darwin's two games of the year.

I'm sure those who went to the Darwin game enjoyed it though.

I am new to demonland, been a demon supporter my whole life.

I live in Darwin and signed up just to make comment on this thread. A couple of points.....

1. Port have been playing up here for a few years now. The infamous night, there were far more supporting the Dees than Port. The issue is, most of them (me excluded!) are just that, love the dees but haven't handed over their hard earned cash to be financial members. But what a better way is there to change this, than to give the NT the opportunity to watch the future AFL champs in action? There is stacks of support here for the Dees, mostly driven by the relatively large NT Indigenous representation. This makes the NT the perfect second home for the Dees.

2. I've lived in Darwin for 10 years, and in that time I have never experienced the putrid weather that was that night in May! It was literally a freak of nature. Normally we have a nice dry cool 20 degrees min at that time of year. Optimal playing conditions! for the record, our worst time of year is between Sept and March - the same time the NTFL play - and the reason for this is so that players "down south" can venture north for some game time in the off season. The fatigue experienced by the players afterward is unfortunate, but not a reason to argue this arrangement shouldn't continue.

3. We don't have a great record away from the G at the moment, so wouldn't it be good to practice travelling away and playing at a "friendly" venue for the future?

4. Its only 2 games in 3 years - so as far as I'm concerned the benefits far outway the costs. Personally I wish it was more!

Bottom line...... Darwin loves the Dees, let us share in their re-building!