Toigs thrashing

Dappa Dan

I knew they were bad, but this bad?

Right now they're almost 100 points down before the end of the 3rd quarter.

We were thumped in 07-09, but were we ever thumped like this?

Only Riewoldt with three goals has scored 6 pointers for them.

Well I wouldn't say that. it's a genuine question for those with good stat sites up their sleeves. What's been our worst loss in the 07-09 period?

Worst as in margin or worst as in performance?

In terms of margin, 2008 Round 19 against Geelong at the G - 116 points. 53-0 at 1/4 time, 79-9 at 1/2 time, 124-18 at 3/4 time.

I had a sneaky look at footywire.

We have 2 X 100+ point thrashings in 2008.

Round 1 vs Hawks = 104 points.

Round 2 vs Dogs = 95 points. (nearly 100 points)

Round 19 vs Cats = 116 points.

So it looks like we DO know how the Toigs feel. Right now they're 107 points down with about ten minutes gone in the last quarter.

Biggest loss by year

07 - 89 points, round 17 v Port Adelaide at AAMI

08 - 116 points, round 19 v Geelong at MCG (olympic opening ceremony night),104 points, round 1 v Hawthorn at MCG, 95pts R2 v Bulldogs at MCG

09 - 66 points, round 11 v Collingwood at MCG (Queens Birthday)

I was thinking margin, yes.

Yeah... looks like our cats loss is safe as the worst performance.

I was thinking margin, yes.

Yeah... looks like our cats loss is safe as the worst performance.

Funnily enough, that 19 goal belting I wouldn't have as our worst performance.

The game against the Saints at the Dome in '08 was putrid. 78 points I think in round 10. Most games at AAMI but especially Round 21 of 2008. Round 22 against the Tiges was disgusting.

The Cats were just "on" that night and our boys had no answers. The others were games that, I felt, we should've played much, much better in. There's probably a few others that I've forgotten.

I have to feel for the Tigers though. Their lack of success is almost like Melbourne's horror 23 year stretch in the 70's and 80's. They were rebuilding with Carlton and Hawthorn, then with Melbourne and Freo and still they languish at the bottom of the ladder and don't look like improving.

To add insult to unjury, the best they can salvage from this season is pick 4.

Edited by wisedog

In terms of margin, 2008 Round 19 against Geelong at the G - 116 points. 53-0 at 1/4 time, 79-9 at 1/2 time, 124-18 at 3/4 time.

Ah yes, the day I was contemplating what would be less painful, sticking hot needles into my eyeballs or watching us play.

I actually feel for Tigers supporters because I remember what it feels like to be this terrible. But on the whole, if you let a sunburnt man with a girly voice be in charge of your club for 5 years too many, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

On a side note, can somebody tell Brad Scott that his jealousy is obvious and a bit embarrassing? He has been telling us at every opportunity that his kids are as good as ours and that they didn't have the luxury of priority picks. He must be a bit upset that the previous coaching staff didn't do him the favour of ensuring the best possible picks. Sorry Scott, but perhaps you should tell somebody who cares.

We were humiliated on a Friday night (& it was televised live) but there was an element of good fortune in that it was the night of the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony. So by the morning, everyone was talking Olympics.

Funnily enough, that 19 goal belting I wouldn't have as our worst performance.

The game against the Saints at the Dome in '08 was putrid. 78 points I think in round 10.

Remember that game well as it was the second last game I went to before moving overseas. That was one horrible game against the Saints. It took Yze to kick 3 goals in the last qtr to save us from a 100pt loss. Funnily enough I will be back in Melbourne just in time to see St Kilda V Melbourne in round 14 this year...hopefully we put in a better performance.

A 108 pt loss is to be expected against Geelong. No great shock and the Dees also put in some stinkers in 2008 as documented in the thread.

On a side note, can somebody tell Brad Scott that his jealousy is obvious and a bit embarrassing? He has been telling us at every opportunity that his kids are as good as ours and that they didn't have the luxury of priority picks. He must be a bit upset that the previous coaching staff didn't do him the favour of ensuring the best possible picks. Sorry Scott, but perhaps you should tell somebody who cares.

Will North Melbourne be around in 5-10 years. I doubt it myself & personally cannot wait for it to happen.

There should be only one melbourne in this city.

It hardly seems appropriate to be wallowing in the misery of others.

Especially considering that we face the cats in 4 weeks and are likely to be done by more

than 8 goals there ourselves.

Seriously the people that think we have made it through the worst of it are kidding. If

anything we should be thanking our lucky stars that for 4 weeks the team clicked.

We haven't arrived we have barely even departed how about we show some class to a side

who is in the same position now we all thought we were after Hawthorn in Round 1

Will North Melbourne be around in 5-10 years. I doubt it myself & personally cannot wait for it to happen.

There should be only one melbourne in this city.

Not that I subscribe to it, but that's some bad negative karma rays to be sending out to the universe, one would have thought....

How would you feel if we were made redundant? In saying that though, I secretly agree- it will only make us stronger, as I hope most North Melbourne supporters would make the logical switch to us- basicaly the same name, a cooler motif and a better list. As long as they don't read posts like these and become bitter..

It hardly seems appropriate to be wallowing in the misery of others.

Especially considering that we face the cats in 4 weeks and are likely to be done by more

than 8 goals there ourselves.

Seriously the people that think we have made it through the worst of it are kidding. If

anything we should be thanking our lucky stars that for 4 weeks the team clicked.

We haven't arrived we have barely even departed how about we show some class to a side

who is in the same position now we all thought we were after Hawthorn in Round 1

My assessment of the team didn't change after the Hawthorn belting in round 1 or afternthe 3 wins.

I haven't changed my views on our progress as a team since before the Freo NAB cup match.

And I'd have to say, although there will be times when the boys are humiliated out there, we are definitely through the worst of it, whether you think I am kidding or not.

Not that I subscribe to it, but that's some bad negative karma rays to be sending out to the universe, one would have thought....

How would you feel if we were made redundant? In saying that though, I secretly agree- it will only make us stronger, as I hope most North Melbourne supporters would make the logical switch to us- basicaly the same name, a cooler motif and a better list. As long as they don't read posts like these and become bitter..

Personally i don't give a stuff about North Melbourne, Bad Karma or not-North Melbourne are the classic "List Cloggers"

How would i feel if we were made redundant is not my point, but the answer is-i would survive.

North supporters don't show up for their own home games even when the side is winning. If Vlad says the MFC does not stand for anything then NM FC stand for even less.

If you look at all there 4 flag wins, they were either lucky or many a paper bag changed hands in terms of the 70's.

Call me Bitter, i don't care...North Melbourne are a sinking liability & should have moved up to the Gold Coast when asked.

Sure the MFC is lucky to be here-But we are alive and are in the process of getting Stronger. We will Survive in Melbourne where we belong

I had a sneaky look at footywire.

We have 2 X 100+ point thrashings in 2008.

Round 1 vs Hawks = 104 points.

Round 2 vs Dogs = 95 points. (nearly 100 points)

Round 19 vs Cats = 116 points.

So it looks like we DO know how the Toigs feel. Right now they're 107 points down with about ten minutes gone in the last quarter.

Even taking those facts into consideration, I can already tell you that we were a better team in 2008 then what Richmond will be in 2010. After two annihilation in rounds 1 and 2, 2008, we played well against the Cats in round 3 and put in some decent efforts throughout the season. Richmond haven't even come remotely close in 6 rounds.