• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

2014-Flag

I Never post on these Jack Watts threads.

My opionion is that alot of demons fans are nervous about Jack because they are coping it from their mates, co workers and even the media. My advice to is Suck it up.

The footy trolls have 2 years to give you shite about Watts. Then no one in the footy world will rememeber those games in casey when he was getting his body right, or soft bones, or bad attitude

Hold fast dee fans, there is loads to like about this club and where it is going.

beautifully put mate

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brad Gotch has not given a Melbourne listed player anything but a glowing report this year. He likes to talk up his players, nothing wrong with the coach doing that in the media, but I don't see him giving honest appraisals of the players. I trust independent reviews, like the one from the Gold Coast that described him as mostly silent.

It is not always overly glowing at all... It's called constructive critiscm and sometimes players do cop it.

Cheney and Newton immediately spring to mind as 2 players who copped a bit of a whack, have a look at Newtons review, hardly glowing at all.

If Gotch had said this about Watts then I would be worried as that is in the context of a media released review about a player, it is a terrible review, but Gotch didn't say that about Watts, he said Watts did some outstanding things and had a hand in a few goals. The only negative was work ethic, which you could put down to a number of things such as match fitness, jetlag, or a really good game by his opponent.

Michael Newton -

Juice helped out a bit in the ruck as well as playing forward. I was probably expecting a bit more from him, because his pre-season form was so good. But, he kicked one goal, and he did some good things. He still contributed, which was good, and played a role in the team.

Edited by Demons 32

Guest Thomo

It is not always overly glowing at all... It's called constructive critiscm and sometimes players do cop it.

Cheney and Newton immediately spring to mind as 2 players who copped a bit of a whack, have a look at Newtons review, hardly glowing at all.

If Gotch had said this about Watts then I would be worried as that is in the context of a media released review about a player, it is a terrible review, but Gotch didn't say that about Watts, he said Watts did some outstanding things and had a hand in a few goals. The only negative was work ethic, which you could put down to a number of things such as match fitness, jetlag, or a really good game by his opponent.

Michael Newton -

Juice helped out a bit in the ruck as well as playing forward.  I was probably expecting a bit more from him, because his pre-season form was so good.  But, he kicked one goal, and he did some good things. He still contributed, which was good, and played a role in the team.

If that's what he said about Newton I suspect, as usual, he had a shocker. There is plenty of positives in that report, so it would be interesting to find out how he actually played from someone else.

Brad Gotch has not given a Melbourne listed player anything but a glowing report this year. He likes to talk up his players, nothing wrong with the coach doing that in the media, but I don't see him giving honest appraisals of the players. I trust independent reviews, like the one from the Gold Coast that described him as mostly silent.

The thing is with such doom and gloom surrounding Watts im kind of desperate for some positives regarding his performances. He surely cant be that bad.

Guest Thomo

The thing is with such doom and gloom surrounding Watts im kind of desperate for some positives regarding his performances. He surely cant be that bad.

I just want honesty in expectations and reporting.

I just want honesty in expectations and reporting.

You will never get that from 'independent' sources, because most people have differernt ideas about what constitures 'a good game', ie Bartram did a reasonable job on Harvey at the weekend but most posters would drop him from the side in the blink of an eye.

Gotch is constructive, but he will point things out as well, it may be that most posters want to see the following.

"Watts absolutely dominated the game, we had him playing CHB in the first quarter, Ruck in the second, on a wing in third and CHF in the fourth, where he took his opportunities and kicked 25 goals on top of his 45 possessions....IT WON'T HAPPEN, but in a few weeks, we will be watching a player who has natural ability but with careful and constructive coaching will come into the team and be a team man first......

Edited by satyricon

You will never get that from 'independent' sources, because most people have differernt ideas about what constitures 'a good game', ie Bartram did a reasonable job on Harvey at the weekend but most posters would drop him from the side in the blink of an eye.

Gotch is constructive, but he will point things out as well, it may be that most posters want to see the following.

"Watts absolutely dominated the game, we had him playing CHB in the first quarter, Ruck in the second, on a wing in third and CHF in the fourth, we he took his opportunities and kicked 25 goals on top of his 45 possessions....IT WON'T HAPPEN, but in a few weeks, we will be watching a player who has natural ability but with careful and constructive coaching will come into the team and be a team man first......

Here's a tip for all the kids. When a coach is talking to you, listen to what he said you did well, but really listen to what he said needs improvement, because usually it means one of two things: that you were really bad in that area, or that he rates that area really highly. For Jack, the coach said that he needed to focus on is multiple efforts and chasing. He also applauded that in a few others. This says to me that Watts won't get promoted until he is tackling and chasing like there's no tomorrow.

... This says to me that Watts won't get promoted until he is tackling and chasing like there's no tomorrow.

The 22 in the senior side chase and tackle, I do see your point here. For him to be in the 22 he needs to play as one of the 22, chase & tackle.

Here's a tip for all the kids. When a coach is talking to you, listen to what he said you did well, but really listen to what he said needs improvement, because usually it means one of two things: that you were really bad in that area, or that he rates that area really highly. For Jack, the coach said that he needed to focus on is multiple efforts and chasing. He also applauded that in a few others. This says to me that Watts won't get promoted until he is tackling and chasing like there's no tomorrow.

Good.

I think this is one of the key things holding him back because a lot of our forward line gameplan revolves around putting pressure on the defenders to create opportunities.

If Watts goes in and is weak in this area if throws our game out. We want him to slot into the side seamlessly.

and that makes sense. Petterd is a good example of a player getting goals from his defensive side as well as attacking game.

I think when watts is called up, Dean will be confident he can do the tackling and chasing part to the standard required. Sounds from the coach he needs to develop this more.

Surely if he is so quick, that's the ideal weapon to run someone down.

Anyway, as to whether to listen to the Coach's report where everyone is 'good', or some p1ssed blokes on a footy trip on the gold coast, i think I will just see for myself first hand in future.

He doesn't work that hard and is rotated off the ground more than most.

Interesting observation. Some super-talented kids do have to learn to complement their natural ability with hard work. I'm sure the club is doing the right thing.

We have started our climb up the ladder now. We don't hand out games to those with potential any more. Games have to be earned.

Keep pushing him at Casey ... even if takes all season..... and don't write him off it does.Some players mature quicker than others.

Casey coach Brad Gotch always reviews the players, and while they are always somewhat positive, this one hardly gives any notion that Watts was as terrible as some who claim to have watched the game are acting.

I don't know about everyone else on here, but I trust the VFL level senior coach over some random people on the internet....

Jack Watts -

Jack did some outstanding things, as we know he can do, and it’s just that repeated effort stuff that we want from him and need to keep working on. He kicked a goal himself and assisted in a few other goals. He moved around, and worked hard up the ground. He uncharacteristically missed a couple of goals in the second quarter, but in the last quarter we needed him to kick one, and he did. He’s got some class, and it was another step in the right direction this week.

Whispering Jack's view on JW in "How the Demons Fared" was not dissimilar.

Can't wait to see him line up with the Dees in the next week or two.

Guest The Boss

Is anyone planning on getting to the Casey game this Saturday? If all works out, I'll be heading down. I missed out on Jack Watts' AFL debut last year, and really keen to see how he performs. I'll post my thoughts after the game, so hopefully he gives me something good to write about.

Is anyone planning on getting to the Casey game this Saturday? If all works out, I'll be heading down. I missed out on Jack Watts' AFL debut last year, and really keen to see how he performs. I'll post my thoughts after the game, so hopefully he gives me something good to write about.

I wish I missed his debut... I think he feels the same. MFC threw him to the sharks that day.

I wish I missed his debut... I think he feels the same. MFC threw him to the sharks that day.

I'd play him in the seniors - don't reckon he'll ever really learn much playing with Casey - probably is putting more pressure on the kid. Can't play worse than Stefan Martin up forward.

[censored].

I'm sick of people overhyping how bad his first game was.

The kid did pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a skinny KPP in his first game with a team getting smashed.

Fact was, after getting a couple of games it was clear his game & body weren't ready so he went back.

He wasn't terrible & he managed a handful of goals during his time in the 1s.

The kid did pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a skinny KPP in his first game with a team getting smashed.

Sylvia's forst game was a LOT worse... and he wasn't tall and had a man's body. Now of course he has the body of an Uruk hai.

I had heard some not so great news on Jack early in the year... The usual stuff, attitude, back injury etc etc... My hope this year was ALWAYS that he get 6-10 games... and in at least one (maybe as many as three?) of those games he kick 4 goals, or at least do enough things, maybe take a few contested marks just to put a kernel of doubt in opposition supporters minds. If they see what he CAN do, the nay-sayers won't be nearly as nasty. Here and elsewhere.

I stil hold true to that. The rest of the team has come out of nowhere and lifted my expectations. There's still 16 rounds after this weekend. Plenty of time.

with all the scuttlebutt about wattsy I am surprised that there is not a rumour that he was with garry ablett at the logies.

I, amongst others, sponsor the kid, unless he is full of BS he is genuine in his desire to make the grade and is genuinely frustrated that he has had a few setbacks with injury. He is a good kid and will make it in the AFL.

with all the scuttlebutt about wattsy I am surprised that there is not a rumour that he was with garry ablett at the logies.

I, amongst others, sponsor the kid, unless he is full of BS he is genuine in his desire to make the grade and is genuinely frustrated that he has had a few setbacks with injury. He is a good kid and will make it in the AFL.

Can guarantee you he's totally and permanently BS-free.

[censored].

I'm sick of people overhyping how bad his first game was.

Fact was, after getting a couple of games it was clear his game & body weren't ready so he went back.

He wasn't terrible & he managed a handful of goals during his time in the 1s.

I don't think people are saying his first game was bad. I for one don't think it was at all. In fact I think his senior games were promising and I would give them a tick mark.

Separately, I think it is fair to say that the MFC threw Watts to the sharks. He did well in the circumstances, but he was used as a marketing tool, he was over-hyped (so could only fail expectations, which is one of the reasons why we read so much crap on here from ignorant people) and set up to fail.

other than the Collingwood game and perhaps all his senior games last year, I think the club has handled him really well and continues to do so.

I don't think people are saying his first game was bad. I for one don't think it was at all. In fact I think his senior games were promising and I would give them a tick mark.

Separately, I think it is fair to say that the MFC threw Watts to the sharks. He did well in the circumstances, but he was used as a marketing tool, he was over-hyped (so could only fail expectations, which is one of the reasons why we read so much crap on here from ignorant people) and set up to fail.

other than the Collingwood game and perhaps all his senior games last year, I think the club has handled him really well and continues to do so.

I dont believe for 1 second that Watts was picked for an agenda other than him deserving a game and to help his development.

It was only used as a marketing tool BECAUSE he was going to play, not vice versa.

I dont believe for 1 second that Watts was picked for an agenda other than him deserving a game and to help his development.

It was only used as a marketing tool BECAUSE he was going to play, not vice versa.

Ok

Try 15.

Ok I will.

15 rounds left after this weekend.

Look at that, you were right.

In my defence though, I get all my games days and days after they're played over here. I'm still watching last week's footy classified, footy show, before the game etc etc. You'll have to bear with me for the time being.