• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Midfield pressure

Would just like to bring to everyones attention the dee's midfield tackling and pressure.

Something of which i have been very (and happily) surprised about this season.

A few interesting stats.

James McDonald - Tackles 28

Jordie Mckenzie - Tackles 27

The 2 highest tackle counts in the AFL, the next down is Kane Cornes on 23.

Will admit i was a bit.... nervous i guess, about McDonald going round again, but am glad he has so far, he is showing much more leadership this year than i can ever remember him showing. Really made me want him in the team, as he has clearly worked on his disposal and intensity.

Good stuff. Makes going every week much more fun than usual

Been Very impressed with our tackling this year.

We don't just tackle as individuals, we tackle as a unit.

Edited by Stigga

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Been Very impressed with our tackling this year.

We don't tackle as individuals, we tackle as a unit.

Spot on Stigga..As evidenced when we had three blokes driving the neck of a Crows player into the turf. Not that I am endorsing what happened as a result. But it was a gang tackle!!!

Don't know if anyone heard DeeerWayne Wussel on FOX on the replay say how that type of tackle needed to be looked at. Compared it to a Rugby League Spear tackle...pa-lease!!

Is it just me or does that bloke really hate the Dee's? He made constant reference to the 'small crowd' and 'there's only a few of them here' . Drove me nutz..if i was watching it live and not on replay I would have turned on the wireless

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14

Spot on Stigga..As evidenced when we had three blokes driving the neck of a Crows player into the turf. Not that I am endorsing what happened as a result. But it was a gang tackle!!!

Don't know if anyone heard DeeerWayne Wussel on FOX on the replay say how that type of tackle needed to be looked at. Compared it to a Rugby League Spear tackle...pa-lease!!

Is it just me or does that bloke really hate the Dee's? He made constant reference to the 'small crowd' and 'there's only a few of them here' . Drove me nutz..if i was watching it live and not on replay I would have turned on the wireless

It's not just you he hates the dees takes pot shots at every oppurtunity, last weeks gem when Bennell got tripped in the forward line was something to the effect "free kick to bennell surely? theres not enough dees supports here to scream for the free kick"

Can't stand the [censored]

Stop and think about what happened. Three people grab one guy. He clearly wasn't going to get the ball out of there. Yet at least one of the three of them felt that it was necessary to drive him into the ground. Driving players into the ground when their hands are pinned is not a good thing. Guerra was looked at last week for doing just that (though he didn't get suspended, not sure why).

Yes, I like seeing intensity and aggression. But smashing Dangerfield into the turf was unnecessary, and could have caused serious injury.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Stop and think about what happened. Three people grab one guy. He clearly wasn't going to get the ball out of there. Yet at least one of the three of them felt that it was necessary to drive him into the ground. Driving players into the ground when their hands are pinned is not a good thing. Guerra was looked at last week for doing just that (though he didn't get suspended, not sure why).

Yes, I like seeing intensity and aggression. But smashing Dangerfield into the turf was unnecessary, and could have caused serious injury.

T_U - I tell you what would have prevented it from happening is if the muppet umpire had of blow his whistle earlier and stopped the play. Wussel was talking about "there has to be a release point". Yeh...in that situation the release point is when the ump puts the little silver thing in his mouth and blows on it. Simple!

As I said..i was not condoning what happened after. I was jsut using that particular tackle as an example of the 'gang tackling' others have mentioned.

I agree there was nothing wrong with the tackle under the current rules. It was weight of numbers in forward motion that forced Dangerfield down. Not one of the three Melbourne players did anything wrong. They even pushed him backwards from front on. They didn't lift him leg up. Never been an issue in the game before. If they pushed him from the back then it may be an issue. If they want to make it like rugby then only allow two tacklers in to take a player down. Three tacklers are dangerous and even Johnathon Brown, Barry Hall, Locket or Leigh Mathews would have been squashed in the same scenario.

Edited by america de cali

T_U - I tell you what would have prevented it from happening is if the muppet umpire had of blow his whistle earlier and stopped the play. Wussel was talking about "there has to be a release point". Yeh...in that situation the release point is when the ump puts the little silver thing in his mouth and blows on it. Simple!

That's true. And I haven't heard his comments either. But I really don't like the thought process players have that in situations like that it's necessary to dump him to the ground.

They didn't 'smash' Dangerfield into the ground IMO, more like rolled/fell on top of him.

If the 3 of them were all trying to drive him into the ground, Patrick would still be asleep definitely with a broken neck.

The sheer weight of 3 blokes falling on top of someone is certainly enough to do some damage though, and it didn't help that his arms were pinned.

The great thing about the tackling pressure that we are applying and it was evident both against Collingwood and Adelaide is that it causes mistakes - so that even if the stats dont record a tackle a turnover often results fromt he projected pressure.

Bennell with 5 tackles followed Junior with 10 and Newton and others with 4.

Bennell reminds me of Davey a few years back when he was forever chasing down backs as they tried to move the ball forward.

I want Bennell, Sylvia and Davey in my forward line - Bennell and Davey for their pace and projected pressure on the defense and Sylvia and Davey for their ability to kick goals (with Sylvia from outside 50) and or hit up targets. Bennell did that well on Sunday too I think. Mind you with Bennell one swallow does not a summer make.

You play until the whistle goes... todays game is about not allowing the ball carrier to free his arms and find a target to release the ball to by hand or foot. Tackle tackle tackle. Far out you can not legislate against every single possible friggin way of getting hurt.

Understand your frustration, but you have highlighted his comment by not being there. :(

Edited by The Great One 99

And there wasn't an issue about gang taclking when Jack Watts got wrapped up against the Pies last year....

Watt's didn't even have the ball. He was ambushed and mugged. Dangerfield was road kill. Seriously though I'm glad he appears OK.

Edited by america de cali

Other interesting stats:

Jamar has the 2nd most hitouts so far - 91 with only Sandilands doing better

Melbourne has 244 points scored against - only St Kilda and Sydney have lower scores against

I heard somewhere that he's leading the 'Hit outs to advantage' stat.

Bloody great effort

Other interesting stats:

Jamar has the 2nd most hitouts so far - 91 with only Sandilands doing better

Melbourne has 244 points scored against - only St Kilda and Sydney have lower scores against

Be interested to know how we rate in total tackles compared to other teams. I think we were 2nd or 3rd most this week.

You play until the whistle goes... todays game is about not allowing the ball carrier to free his arms and find a target to release the ball to by hand or foot. Tackle tackle tackle. Far out you can not legislate against every single possible friggin way of getting hurt.

Where did I say pinning the arms was a bad thing?

The tackle(s) was/were fine. But that in itself is the reason why he didn't need to be slung to the ground. He wasn't going to release the ball standing up.

Having seen the replay I think it was Newton who pulled him down. McDonald looked like he was wrapped around his arms, Bartram too.

You couldn't have asked for any more from JMac. If he keeps this up he's going to be hard to see in the delisted/retired column at years' end.

Come to think of it, since the Pies game, I've not thought about delistings, trades or drafts. This has been as good a 2 week run as I can remember since 2006.

You couldn't have asked for any more from JMac. If he keeps this up he's going to be hard to see in the delisted/retired column at years' end.

Come to think of it, since the Pies game, I've not thought about delistings, trades or drafts. This has been as good a 2 week run as I can remember since 2006.

He'll be playing next year. Take my word for it:)