Changes for Rd 3 vs Adelaide

Bang Bang Bang

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Martin's an interesting one.

If we're going to play someone as a second-string ruckman who doesn't have a lot of ability in the ruck, and Newton currently holds that spot, then Martin could easily take that position. But we've seen Martin as a ruck and as a forward, and he's never really looked capable in either position at AFL level. I think Newton is probably a better forward, which says more about Martin than Newton.

Martin certainly has more upside than Newton though. I can't see Newton improving much from where he is now, but Martin could.

I saw Martin's pre season form and it was Rubbish. Anyone at teh Bummers game at Optus Oval? Someone must have greased the guys mits before the game. Wouldn't have been able to hold a pot of honey!! Has someone seen something since then that justifies why he should get a run? Happy to hear abouit it. Stef Martin looks lost as a footballer. Looks like a basketballer/athlete that has height and so someone thought he must be able to play. He is a shocking kick, ordinary mark and can't read the game - so is useless in the ruck.

Martin may improve and yes Newton is limited, but klet him develop at Casey. Has done nothing in my pinion to deserve a call up.

Maric for Bennell is a good call GNF ... A lot of people seem to have it in for the little guy. I thought his preseason was good. Probably our best jkick at goal bar Greeny

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

You'll find my comments on Bate elsewhere. Last year Bate missed some pre season before the season, he appeared heavier and slow and his form early suffered. Soon enough he stripped fitter with a few games under his belt and had his best season to date in '09. I think he finds himself again short of a gallop having missed a fair portion of pre-training and is coming into form now having provided lead up options and running the game out on Saturday. He was one of our main targets all year last year. The others being Jurrah & the retired legend *cough* in Robbo.

Maybe a few are just frustrated with his last disposal of the game.

I am frustrated with the fact he looks like he is jogging on the spot. Has the biggest U-turn in AFL football. Is too often out of the contest when the ball hits the deck, gets pushed out of the marking contest by his opponent too often, drops easy marks, lacks vision, is not dangerous, is slow, is slow, is slow, is very very slow!!!!!

HT - IF he is short of a gallop why is he being played? Purely cause we have nothing else? According to Bailey's 'Watts Theory' - if players are slightly underdone they shall sit in the magoos for several weeks until ready.

Did I mention how slow Bate is!! Shhhheeeeeeeesh

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14

I am frustrated with the fact he looks like he is jogging on the spot. Has the biggest U-turn in AFL football. Is too often out of the contest when the ball hits the deck, gets pushed out of the marking contest by his opponent too often, drops easy marks, lacks vision, is not dangerous, is slow, is slow, is slow, is very very slow!!!!!

HT - IF he is short of a gallop why is he being played? Purely cause we have nothing else? According to Bailey's 'Watts Theory' - if players are slightly underdone they shall sit in the magoos for several weeks until ready.

Did I mention how slow Bate is!! Shhhheeeeeeeesh

I get your point, that he looks sluggish at times. I disagree regarding dangerous. I think he can be dangerous to the opposition.

Some guys need a gallop to bring them up to speed. As you point out ? Who else can provide what Bate can at the moment. You play him.

I disagree that he has the biggest U-turn in the AFL by the way, that belongs to Brock 'turns like the queen mary' McLean. ;)

How many mid paced small nuggety forwards will a small nuggety defender like Cheney who lack pace will be required to play on and at whose expense in defense will he come in for?

McNamara will need to show something more than age to be continued in 2011.

If only it was as black and white and clear cut as that! Cheney has heart and toughness, he is also young and has more scope for improvement, blistering pace isn't everything and last time I checked MFC wasn't exactly FULL of gutsy little triers like these. At the very least he will be a solid depth player and given our runs with injuries he could very well be a permanent.

Give him time to fully develop first then judge rather than confine him to a typecast so early on..

McNamara should be given the same graces any other youngster his age with potential recieves and IMO he hasn't been put on show enough to prove or disprove anything. If McNamara doesn't deserve a 2011 spot, justify why someone like a Watts would..

Dunn would be the first player i would drop for col....dunn is a tall player who plays short.

Bartram would be the next player to drop...i think a new player or martin would be a good swap.

I would be happy to give newton another chance. think of all the chances miller has had....newton did kick a goal...

people should lay off bennell.

If only it was as black and white and clear cut as that! Cheney has heart and toughness, he is also young and has more scope for improvement, blistering pace isn't everything and last time I checked MFC wasn't exactly FULL of gutsy little triers like these. At the very least he will be a solid depth player and given our runs with injuries he could very well be a permanent.

Give him time to fully develop first then judge rather than confine him to a typecast so early on..

McNamara should be given the same graces any other youngster his age with potential recieves and IMO he hasn't been put on show enough to prove or disprove anything. If McNamara doesn't deserve a 2011 spot, justify why someone like a Watts would..

Watts is a year younger..?

If we are picking our best side the changes should be:

IN: Sylvia, Rivers

OUT: Bennell, Strauss

Strauss needs time to develop, but is obviously behind Rivers as an AFL footballer. We should pick our best side given it is only Round 3.

Bennell did not touch the ball in the first half against Collingwood and his attack on the ball was not good enough on two separate occasions. Sylvia should replace him as a forward.

Other Comments:

Bartram played a good game on Leon Davis and deserves to keep his spot until his form doesn’t warrant a game.

Bruce has been consistently in our best five players and had an interrupted pre-season. His game against Collingwood was serviceable and nowhere near as poor as is being suggested here on Demonland.

Bate needs to lift his game, but he should only be replaced if we have a better option as a key forward. At the moment we don’t.

Playing Jamar as the only ruckman worked exceptionally well on the weekend. It made us more mobile and, while he is in such good form, we should continue to just use a pinch hitter as a backup ruckman.

I am no fan of Newton, but I thought he played one of his best games for MFC. He looks like he has put on size and he was also better than expected when he went into the ruck. If he were to be dropped, I would like to see Miller be given a similar role.

Scully had an ordinary game but needs time to adjust to the pace.

At times I thought Warnock was a little bit disappointing.

Moloney reverted to bad habits by kicking long to the opposition on two occasions.

Touche

Experience wise however they are pretty much on par. I will always be dead against delisting anyone who hasn't without absolute certainty proven they are of no use to the club.

I said in a previous post I thought Newton may be an out, and i'd prefer him not to be. Thinking about it more i'd be pretty damn [censored] if he was an out- firstly we are screaming for a forward and that is what Newton is suppose to be. Secondly he is showing signs of belief and desire on the big stage- it would be cruel and stupid on our part to interfere with this momentum. Also as frustrating as Newton has been to a dee supporter over the years we at least have the chance to thouroughly assess Newton.

Give him more games in a row and that way if at the end of the day he is no good noone can ever moan and contemplate if we did the right thing.

Don't think theres going to be too many changes this week; only possible in is Sylvia (?)

Strauss needs time to develop, but is obviously behind Rivers as an AFL footballer. We should pick our best side given it is only Round 3.

Bennell did not touch the ball in the first half against Collingwood and his attack on the ball was not good enough on two separate occasions. Sylvia should replace him as a forward.

Other Comments:

Bartram played a good game on Leon Davis and deserves to keep his spot until his form doesn’t warrant a game.

Bruce has been consistently in our best five players and had an interrupted pre-season. His game against Collingwood was serviceable and nowhere near as poor as is being suggested here on Demonland.

Bate needs to lift his game, but he should only be replaced if we have a better option as a key forward. At the moment we don’t.

Playing Jamar as the only ruckman worked exceptionally well on the weekend. It made us more mobile and, while he is in such good form, we should continue to just use a pinch hitter as a backup ruckman.

I am no fan of Newton, but I thought he played one of his best games for MFC. He looks like he has put on size and he was also better than expected when he went into the ruck. If he were to be dropped, I would like to see Miller be given a similar role.

Moloney reverted to bad habits by kicking long to the opposition on two occasions.

Strauss and Rivers are different types of players.

Strauss will provide good run and delivery up forward, something that Rivers severely lacks.

On the flip side Rivers is a much better defender and reader of the play.

Are we sure he is now fit again?

If we keep playing Jamar as a sole ruckman he will wear it quickly.

I'd like to see Martin given more of a chance up forward, switching into the ruck. I'd swap him for Newton.

Warnock for Rivers? I think Warnock is one of the first picked and I'd keep him in the side.

Bartram loses his spot for Sylvia, for mine, due to ball use.

Bennell swtiches into the back half, Sylvia on a HFF.

I'd be inclined to give Scully a rest and bring back Rivers.

Once Bennell has had a chance to prove himself, I'd bring Scully back in the following week for either him or Strauss.

Apologies. I meant second year player.

I'm sorry but who did Bruce play on? Really didn't notice him in MANY marking contests.

He was just doing his usual floating round gathering useless possessions again.

Yes maybe he was a touch better than last week but he is one of our senior guys ffs!!!

He must show more! If Bailey is willing to drop players like Miller, he must be fair and

drop Bruce because he is a rabble at the moment.

When Frazer went forward for the Pies, Warnock went onto him and Bruce onto Anthony, who didn't get a kick on him so far as I could see. Good defensive game by Bruce

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Bennell swtiches into the back half, Sylvia on a HFF.

I'd be inclined to give Scully a rest and bring back Rivers.

Once Bennell has had a chance to prove himself, I'd bring Scully back in the following week for either him or Strauss.

I am seriously glad you are not picking the team mate!!

Bennell to the back half!!! Why? Coz he was so exceptional there against Hawthorn? Yeh. Pleaaaassse can we have him cough up the footy and get scared down the back end of the ground,. Won't cost us there at all. He was hopeless in the back half that's why he was given a chance in the forward line. Either out or leave him fwd.

Rivers in for Scully ahhaha...what are you smoking brother. I need some. Why would you give up a mid for a backman. Is Adelaides forward line really that potent?

Sorry..cannot follow your logic here!!

I am seriously glad you are not picking the team mate!!

Bennell to the back half!!! Why? Coz he was so exceptional there against Hawthorn? Yeh. Pleaaaassse can we have him cough up the footy and get scared down the back end of the ground,. Won't cost us there at all. He was hopeless in the back half that's why he was given a chance in the forward line. Either out or leave him fwd.

Rivers in for Scully ahhaha...what are you smoking brother. I need some. Why would you give up a mid for a backman. Is Adelaides forward line really that potent?

Sorry..cannot follow your logic here!!

Bennell keeps his spot for Scully then. Allowing for rotations he plays on a wing, HFF and HBF.

Sylvia swtiching between midfield and HFF.

Rivers in the backline at Strauss' expense.

Not all that hard to follow, but I understand why you'd have trouble...

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Bennell keeps his spot for Scully then. Allowing for rotations he plays on a wing, HFF and HBF.

Sylvia swtiching between midfield and HFF.

Rivers in the backline at Strauss' expense.

Not all that hard to follow, but I understand why you'd have trouble...

How abpout Sylvia in for whoever was in the bottom three performed last week?

So either

Dunn

Bennel

Bate or Strauss

No one knows if Rivers is even fit. So pintless talking about his inclusion. If he is to come in remember that you swap him with a like player. So someone from the back half!!

Newton either goes or stays.

In comes Martin

Garland - if fit

or TMac

Why would you drop Scully? Whats the logic. Explain. As many games into him as possible i would have thought. I want him there when we win our first game

How abpout Sylvia in for whoever was in the bottom three performed last week?

So either

Dunn

Bennel

Bate or Strauss

God, you really are on something if you think that's our bottom three from last week. Dunn had one of his best games yet, Bennell played fairly well IMO and Bate was solid in the midfield/forward. Strauss however should be dropped as I think he is a little too inexperienced.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

God, you really are on something if you think that's our bottom three from last week. Dunn had one of his best games yet, Bennell played fairly well IMO and Bate was solid in the midfield/forward. Strauss however should be dropped as I think he is a little too inexperienced.

Your bottom three??

Bate was Rubbish

Bennell was made to look good

Dunn? come on...have u read the thoughts of others

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14

Other Comments:

i agree on all points. Newton and Miller at least can be mistaken as footballers. Martin sadly cant.

Strauss however should be dropped as I think he is a little too inexperienced.

How does he get experience then? I though he gave us a bit of run in the second quarter when collingwood were on top, hopefully a sign of things to come. Play the kid for at least 5 to 6 games then send him back if he is not coping

Same with Scully, not sure how he needs a rest after two games coming off a weeks break.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

How does he get experience then? I though he gave us a bit of run in the second quarter when collingwood were on top, hopefully a sign of things to come. Play the kid for at least 5 to 6 games then send him back if he is not coping

Same with Scully, not sure how he needs a rest after two games coming off a weeks break.

I wouldnt pay much attention to those thoughts. Dribble. Clearly no idea. You drop guys that have been round long enough to know better than make fundamental mistakes. Bate, Bruce etc

Keep the kids learning

Your bottom three??

Bate was Rubbish

Bennell was made to look good

Dunn? come on...have u read the thoughts of others

Do we need to pay attention to your thoughts, or are we allowed to have out own opinions on how each player played on Sautrday, could you explain why Bate was rubbish, who made Bennell look good and what was wrong with Dunn's role in the game, if you read other posts you will find there is a lot of support for all three, I can only see Sylvia coming in at the moment, and who he will replace I have no idea coz I am not on the Match Committee at Melbourne

Bate was fine. A long way from his best, but an even further way from getting dropped. If you think he's getting omitted cos of form you need to learn about football.

Bate was fine. A long way from his best, but an even further way from getting dropped. If you think he's getting omitted cos of form you need to learn about football.

Presenting Wednesday Nights With Dappa Dan.

Football for Dummies

Lesson One: How to kick,handball and Eye Gouge

To look at the game another way, what we need to do is.

Maxwell and Shaw provided heaps of run and carry out of Collingwood's back half - NOT

Davis and Didak were a constant threat to Melbourne and scored a heap of goals between them - NOT

Swann dominated in midfield and racked him a thousand possessions - NOT

Cloke was a constant threat in the air and dragged down a dozen contested marks - NOT

etc etc

Collingwood smashed Melbourne by over 50 points as everybody expected them to - NOT

That basically says that 22 Melbourne players all did the job asked of them by their much maligned coach and the game plan and match ups worked to such an extent we were bloody unlucky to lose to a top 4 rated side.

If Sylvia comes in I will feel sorry for whoever he replaces after the effort they all put in on Saturday, mistakes and all, let's go back to the safety first footbally we played against Hawthorn...yeah that should work

That basically says that 22 Melbourne players all did the job asked of them by their much maligned coach and the game plan and match ups worked to such an extent we were bloody unlucky to lose to a top 4 rated side.

If Sylvia comes in I will feel sorry for whoever he replaces after the effort they all put in on Saturday, mistakes and all,

True.

Sylvia comes in if fit. Someone makes way. Probably Bartram.

That's it. Reward the improvement.

Bailey keeps talking about getting the youngsters to play games together. I can't see why he'd drop 3 or 4 players after such a good performance.

In: Sylvia

Out: Bartram

If Rivers fit.

In: Sylvia, Rivers

Out: Bartam, Newton

I won't buy any arguments that we must replace Newton with another tall forward. He didn't 'straighten us up' or 'provide a target' at all last week. He had 4 touches, 2 of which came from free kicks. He was rubbish. Again.

I'd probably move Bruce into the forward line rotation with Green, Petterd, Bate & Sylvia. Frankly, if we just cannot find Rivers a job to do down back, which is a fairly ridiculous notion really, then I'd rather have him up forward than Newton. Riv's the same size as Newton and at least Riv contests.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Do we need to pay attention to your thoughts, or are we allowed to have out own opinions on how each player played on Sautrday, could you explain why Bate was rubbish, who made Bennell look good and what was wrong with Dunn's role in the game, if you read other posts you will find there is a lot of support for all three, I can only see Sylvia coming in at the moment, and who he will replace I have no idea coz I am not on the Match Committee at Melbourne

Each to their own...I will leave it at that. Don't want to start a blue. Yes u can have ure own opinions. Bate still has legs made of Cement!!! My major criticism