A LONG, LONG WAY TO GO

Demonland

Yes. Pretty much the same people (natives) who think we've stuffed up picking Watts ahead of Naitanui when Watts hasn't played this season yet, and dominant performance in Rd 1 of the Nab Cup by Naitanui against Essendon who submitted a below par rookie ruckman.

Go figure.

So you're happy with the performance HT?

Yes, it was just a NAB cup game, which is some relief, but we were terrible, and that can't just be ignored. There were problems in that performance that aren't just going to magically disappear when we tick over into the home and away season, and that's what's disconcerting.

So you're happy with the performance HT?

Yes, it was just a NAB cup game, which is some relief, but we were terrible, and that can't just be ignored. There were problems in that performance that aren't just going to magically disappear when we tick over into the home and away season, and that's what's disconcerting.

Of course not. Perhaps I'm just a little fed up in those who love to come on board and stick a knife in when it suits, then not be heard again until their next opportune time.

Of course I was disappointed, disappointed as any (as I am about Tapscott's injury), but at least I'm in tune with the fact of where our list is at. How young it is, how inexperienced it is and when they play for the first time together against a pretty good Fremantle line up over the other side of the continent, in 29 C , on Subiaco, there are bound to be teething problems and errors. There were more than I expected, so that "is" disappointing. But that shouldn't - in my opinion - draw conclusions such as calls for Bailey's sacking, and the "sky is falling" type comments that frequent these boards. Case in point the Naitanui v Watts discussion last week triggered by some knitwit.

I think next week can't come quickly enough.

We need to really put this game behind us and move on. While last night was horrible, we did have a very young team (Jamar and Bruce didn't play and Davey only played a half, which is 50% of our senior list right there) and chose to play first gamers ahead of more experienced players in Bartram, Dunn and Bell (and rightfully so IMO).

Everyone will be smarter for this loss and hopefully would have learnt a lot. The first hit out for the year is always a little dodgy and I suspect nerves played a big part for many of our kids who have only played a handful of games (Scully, Trengove, Strauss, Maric, Spencer etc...)

While this is no excuse for the horrific setups, decision making and lack of intensity, it is a valid reason to show some restraint and see where next week takes us. I expect a better showing, but then my expectations of our club at the moment are very mild.

Same old for dees..

My observations:

Joel Macdonald is our best player (says a lot given he is a delistee from another side)

Scully and trengove are already well and truly in our best 18.

Our forward line is completely dysfunctional.

Bennell and Jetta will show glimpses here and there, but wont make it as AFL footballers.

Ha ha thats funny, you were joking right........right!

Last night showed just how important Jamar will be this year. The club obviously sees a future for Jake Spencer but he's not ready to be first ruck and Martin probably never will be. We will struggle at stoppages whenever the Russian isn't playing. I'm not a big PJ fan but Bailey would've killed for him last night. With PJ and Meesen out for a while we need Jamar fit and ready for round 1, couldn't give a fig how many praccy matches he gets in as long as he's ready round 1.

One massive positive to come out of last night was Cale Morton, not his game but his attitude. He was downright surly last night, throwing what little weight he's got around. A Freo player bumped or went to bump Scully and Cale put him on his rectum, gave away a free but put a smile on my face nonetheless. There was o lot more physicality in his game last night, he just needs to remember to do the other stuff he does so well.

Guest Thomo

Last night showed just how important Jamar will be this year. The club obviously sees a future for Jake Spencer but he's not ready to be first ruck and Martin probably never will be. We will struggle at stoppages whenever the Russian isn't playing. I'm not a big PJ fan but Bailey would've killed for him last night. With PJ and Meesen out for a while we need Jamar fit and ready for round 1, couldn't give a fig how many praccy matches he gets in as long as he's ready round 1.

One massive positive to come out of last night was Cale Morton, not his game but his attitude. He was downright surly last night, throwing what little weight he's got around. A Freo player bumped or went to bump Scully and Cale put him on his rectum, gave away a free but put a smile on my face nonetheless. There was o lot more physicality in his game last night, he just needs to remember to do the other stuff he does so well.

Agree 100% with your comments about morton.

Last night he was one of the few positives. Ran back into packs, stood up for the young blokes, and ran all night. I don't think the stats showed how goods he was.

Thanks to the idiots at the footy show, he has been called soft, but I think his courage is severely underrated. He is almost in the class of Green and Rivers when running back into the defensive 50.

Last night I watched him and thought that he could be the next Melbourne captain.

Last night showed just how important Jamar will be this year.

One massive positive to come out of last night was Cale Morton,

Agree totally, he is going to massive forus this year, it will be really interesting to see how we go when he goes off for a spell during games or if he goes down at some point.

One massive positive to come out of last night was Cale Morton

I know I'm going to get sh it canned in a big way for this but some of the praise for Cale I just don't see on the ground as yet. The potential is there for sure but it seems to me like it is really slow in coming along. Am I expecting to much too early or am I just yet to see all of the great things people say he does yet I don't feel like I see it???

As to seeing him at CHF??? I just do not see it unless he goes on some massive courses of steroids.

Waiting for the abuse...

Edited by Cards13

Agree 100% with your comments about morton.

Last night he was one of the few positives. Ran back into packs, stood up for the young blokes, and ran all night. I don't think the stats showed how goods he was.

Thanks to the idiots at the footy show, he has been called soft, but I think his courage is severely underrated. He is almost in the class of Green and Rivers when running back into the defensive 50.

Last night I watched him and thought that he could be the next Melbourne captain.

Maybe he is starting to learn what he can do with his body, now that it is a bit bigger and heavier?

Agree totally, he is going to massive forus this year, it will be really interesting to see how we go when he goes off for a spell during games or if he goes down at some point.

One massive positive to come out of last night was Cale Morton

I know I'm going to get sh it canned in a big way for this but some of the praise for Cale I just don't see on the ground as yet. The potential is there for sure but it seems to me like it is really slow in coming along. Am I expecting to much too early or am I just yet to see all of the great things people say he does yet I don't feel like I see it???

As to seeing him at CHF??? I just do not see it unless he goes on some massive courses of steroids.

Waiting for the abuse...

Agree regarding Morton ,good call, he is a quality player with plenty of improvement to come.The players that stood out to me in the game against Freo were: Morton,Frawley,Joel Mac,Junior,Green and Scully.I think Morton could be a reasonable option up forward,however he needs quite a bit more body size to hold down CHF permanently.

Whilst it was an average performance by the Dees ,it is hardly panic stations and with a few more tough practice games they will get more used to making decisions under pressure and will become better at hitting their targets in these situations.

On a couple of other points: I don't think Jurrah is able to be the main focus/target up forward (This is probably stating the bleeding obvious!) and I would like to see Miller get back the agression from his earlier days.If he cops a couple of holidays here and there ,so be it.

Hopeful of a much better performance against Essendon on Saturday! We have a great club!

It was a shocking performance and the more so given we started our pre-season early and should have been raring to go for the NAB cup. It was an important game for the credibility of our club. Melbourne isn't in a position to pretend everything will click together when the season actually starts. Sunday night reminded me of the game against Hawthorn in Round 1, 2008. I don't have any problem with the kids, anything good they do is a bonus. I do have a problem with the senior players. My footy knowledge isn't strong enough to attribute the problems to Bailey's game plan. But I didn't get much sense of a plan at all -- hence the 2008 comparison. On the positive side, I thought Frawley was terrific. A rock.

Let's not kid ourselves last night was a big setback for the club and the coach, we were very, very poor.

They have to do better than that and cannot afford to serve up rubbish like that week after week.

Week after week? They have played one game!

Everybody just needs to have a bit of a calm down. We've only played one game!

Ok, it was poor. But there are still players to come back from injury, Some of the players had a bad game and...it's the first game of the season! Skills will be a little off colour this time of the year.

And the people calling for bailey's head, it's time for a lie down. At least give him until round 12.

This is true. And quite amazing, given the perception of Jamar a few years ago.

Spencer is not a no. 1 ruck yet. But I'd like to see him kept in the team for his development, as I think he could end up a decent AFL ruckman.

There is no future in PJ. Only should be playing when we have no other options.