Valenti to Port Melbourne

Nasher

Shane Valenti has apparently signed with Port Melbourne for 2010 along with Adam Bentick from Carlton. I reckon that's a fair boost to their midfield, these two are both proven good quality VFL players.

Surprises me a bit, I thought Valenti would be a monty to go back to his roots (Sandy). Best of luck to him.

Good Luck Shane, although as an old Sandringham dweller-I HATE Port Melbourne!!

Saw some mighty games at the Beach oval between those 2 sides in the 70's-Crowds of 15-16,000 were there a few times.

Good days. Go Zebs.

Not even close. He's probably around 175 so it'd take him to 180ish (CBF looking it up).

Oh wait, you're trying to be funny by paying out on Freak, I get it now. It would've been funny 6 months ago too. Time to let that one go?

I'm sure we can milk it for at least another year or two...it's a classic.

Bit of a talent drain from the Scorps this off season it would seem. Will be interesting to see how the young side comes up again this season with a new coach.

No doubt. Silvagni will be missed. I was disappointed to see German go, I think he is a good coach and is going places. It will be a fresh start in many ways, they still have a good captain I believe who will lead by example - which is a big positive.

Bit of a talent drain from the Scorps this off season it would seem. Will be interesting to see how the young side comes up again this season with a new coach.

hopefully a few less mfc injuries this year will mean that they have a full complement to select from.

Shane Valenti has apparently signed with Port Melbourne for 2010 along with Adam Bentick from Carlton. I reckon that's a fair boost to their midfield, these two are both proven good quality VFL players.

Surprises me a bit, I thought Valenti would be a monty to go back to his roots (Sandy). Best of luck to him.

Port are standalone so his role is not going to be messed with by AFL players coming into the side, maybe that's a factor.

If he was at Sandy he'd have to move aside when Luke Ball was playing -- oh wait a minute ...

No doubt. Silvagni will be missed. I was disappointed to see German go, I think he is a good coach and is going places. It will be a fresh start in many ways, they still have a good captain I believe who will lead by example - which is a big positive.

German really seemed to get the best out of a young list last year. Took them a little while to warm into the season but then had a few really close losses with depleted sides and still made finals only to run into a full strength Pies 2nds sides. So I am interested to see how they come up this year.

hopefully a few less mfc injuries this year will mean that they have a full complement to select from.

................ Lets hold our breath on that front.

He is a very good VFL player, will play week in week out and have a long career were he belongs the second best league in the land.....

He is a very good VFL player, will play week in week out and have a long career were he belongs the second best league in the land.....

I must admit that I thought Valenti was really stiff to be cut in the first place. He has a really good football brain for his age, which almost makes up for his lack of height & average disposal, though I thought his disposal improved last year. He played a couple of great games towards the end of the year, but he just happened to be the same type of mid as Beamer, Brock & Jones and we couldn't afford to have too many of those in the same side.

I have a feeling that he was cut before Brock decided to jump ship - if so, then I can't help but wonder that if Brock had decided to leave a few weeks earlier whether Valenti might still be on the list.

I have a feeling that he was cut before Brock decided to jump ship - if so, then I can't help but wonder that if Brock had decided to leave a few weeks earlier whether Valenti might still be on the list.

Doubtful Brock had anything to do with it. Valenti was not good for AFL. Very good at VFL level. A classic tweener who gave everything but did not make the grade. I did not see 15 other clubs scramblng for his services.

I must admit that I thought Valenti was really stiff to be cut in the first place. He has a really good football brain for his age, which almost makes up for his lack of height & average disposal, though I thought his disposal improved last year. He played a couple of great games towards the end of the year, but he just happened to be the same type of mid as Beamer, Brock & Jones and we couldn't afford to have too many of those in the same side.

If he has a good year at Port I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up in next years draft. He was unlucky that he was uncontracted and a couple of others were.

If he has a good year at Port I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up in next years draft. He was unlucky that he was uncontracted and a couple of others were.

He wasn't "uncontracted" he was a rooky. I guess the issue with Valenti was that MFC were allways going to get more midfielders in this years draft.

He wasn't "uncontracted" he was a rooky. I guess the issue with Valenti was that MFC were allways going to get more midfielders in this years draft.

He was not contracted as an AFL list player. MFC got better midfielders in the draft. Any reason why 15 other clubs did not snap him up?

He was not contracted as an AFL list player. MFC got better midfielders in the draft. Any reason why 15 other clubs did not snap him up?

Yeah fair enough. Suppose it depends whether you think he had it in him to improve even further. I thought a couple of games at the end of the season showed that he might have, but as you say, 15 other clubs didn't think so (though I doubt that any of them were looking closely at any of our fringe players toward the end of the season).

Yeah fair enough. Suppose it depends whether you think he had it in him to improve even further. I thought a couple of games at the end of the season showed that he might have, but as you say, 15 other clubs didn't think so (though I doubt that any of them were looking closely at any of our fringe players toward the end of the season).

If a bottom dwelling team like ours did not think Valenti was good enough then its a fair indication other Clubs would not have.

FWIW, Valenti has been prominent for many years at VFL level and Victorian based clubs have had more than enough time to make their assessments.

Valenti has the heart of a lion but its plain to most observers he isnt going to make the grade at AFL level

Its not a popularity contest

He is a proven VFL player and thats what he will remain his entire career

He doesnt have a weapon otherwise things would be different

Football lists are littered with players who play a few games at this level and shine at a lower grade

Our own Coach Dean Bailey would be able to tell you exactly what thats like mate

Some posters think that because we dont see a future in a particular player that we dont like them which isnt the case

I think RR cops this more than most