Round 1, 2010

The Chazz

Pick our round 1 team (22 positions)  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neither can Brad Miller, for different reasons. Sylvia, Bate and Green in particular have to fill the void at CHF between them whilst we wait for Watts to get stronger and Jurrah to get fitter and cover more ground. Petterd is also handy in that area. Trengove has strong hands and a good tank, the half forward line should be a nice place for him to start, in a similar role to Nev Jetta this year (who will also be pushing for a role around half forward or midfield).

Playing only two talls (edit: plus Jurrah) in the forward line when one of them is Watts is not the way to go.

I think we will be more like the bulldogs where they rotate 6 or more through CHF with Murphy and Johnson taking most of the work. Even Geelong deliver to Chapman out infront with precise foot skills as much as Mooney.

+ Hall

+ Hawkins

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That forward line is way too small/under-developed IMO. Watts can't hold down CHF atm. I assume you've decided Garland won't be fit.

Unless Garland is up and running, completes a full pre-season and has a couple of NAB Cup/NAB challenge games under his belt, he is no shoe-in for Round 1 for my liking. So, I prefer to see what transpires until then. If all were fit and ready to go, I would have a couple of changes.

Same goes for Wonaeamirri. TBH Blease was lucky to find himself as an emergency in my side. Geez I'm tough on them. ;)

Slight modification of my side - same personnel, re-jigged the fwd line: -

B: Rivers Warnock Bennell

HB: McDonald Frawley Bruce

C: Morton Moloney Scully

HF: Sylvia Bate Davey

F: Watts Jurrah Green

Foll: Jamar Grimes, Jones

Int: MacDonald, Petterd, Martin, Trengove

Emerg: Miller, Tapscott, Blease

Geez McNamara is a bit stiff. The only player not to score a vote :unsure:

This 22 is based on everyone's votes so far:

B Rivers Warnock Garland

HB Bruce Frawley McDonald

C Davey Moloney Morton

HF Sylvia Bate Trengove

F Watts Jurrah Green

Foll Jamar Grimes Jones

Int Scully Woneamirri Martin Macdonald

EMERG - Petterd Bennell Miller

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

I'd like to see us pick a team for round one that excludes all of this years' draft picks. No Trengove, no Scully etc.

No Blease or Strauss either. Only players with senior experience.

b Bennell Warnock Frawley

hb Grimes Rivers Garland

c Morton Moloney Maric (the M&Ms line)

hf Jurrah Miller Bate

f Wonaeamirri Martin Watts

r Jamar Sylvia Davey

ic Jones Bruce Green McDonald

e Jetta, Dunn, Peterd

It's not a bad team. I'd love to see what they could do after a full pre season.

Footscray and Sydney have announced they may not play their draft picks next year. I don't think that will happen at MFC.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

Playing only two talls (edit: plus Jurrah) in the forward line when one of them is Watts is not the way to go.

+ Hall

+ Hawkins

Dogs made consecutive prelims without Hall, we are yet to see how they will go with him.

Hawkins is irrelevant, he just sits at full forward. Does stuff all.

Unless Miller pulls his finger out he shouldn't be given the chances he has in the last 2 years. Watts, Jurrah, Bate as the talls is what we have to do to improve them. A Warnock, Garland, Stef Martin/Frawley backline for much of 2008 has paid big dividends for 2009 and that is without Garland.

Speaking of Garland he is the only alternative to take pressure off Watts and Jurrah. A dud Brad Miller will get us nowhere.

Unless Garland is up and running, completes a full pre-season and has a couple of NAB Cup/NAB challenge games under his belt, he is no shoe-in for Round 1 for my liking. So, I prefer to see what transpires until then. If all were fit and ready to go, I would have a couple of changes.

Sure, fair enough - was just checking since the OP imagined a scenario where everyone was fit.

Dogs made consecutive prelims without Hall, we are yet to see how they will go with him.

Hawkins is irrelevant, he just sits at full forward. Does stuff all.

The footy departments at WB and Geelong seem to have a different view to yourself.

I'd like to see us pick a team for round one that excludes all of this years' draft picks. No Trengove, no Scully etc.

No Blease or Strauss either. Only players with senior experience.

I'll give it a shot. I've left out all the 2009 draftees plus Watts, Blease and Strauss:

B: Garland Warnock Bennell/Cheney

HB: Rivers Frawley Grimes

C: Morton Moloney Davey

HF: Miller Bate Green

F: Martin Jurrah Wona

R: Jamar McDonald Jones

I: Spencer/PJ Bruce Sylvia MacDonald

E: PJ/Spencer Petterd Jetta

I don't have any of the new draftees in mine ...

FB : Rivers Warnock McDonald ©

HB : Garland Frawley Bennell

C : Morton Grimes Sylvia

HF : Bate Watts Petterd

FF : Jurrah Green Woneamirri

Foll : Jamar Moloney Davey

Int : Bruce MacDonald Jones Martin

Any draftees playing round 1 is a bonus. How many of us would have included Bennell and Jetta in a similar exercise this time last year?

Obviously the forward line is the concern but I reckon we'll be (for the next year or two at least) ignoring the traditional kpp type of roles down there, and having a more complex, rotational kind of thing going on. None of the six I have starting on the ground are 'talls' in the traditional mould -- Watts will be, but he ain't yet. Does that mean that those six players are gonna be incapable of kicking goals? I don't think so. And the resting ruckman (Jamar or Martin) can head down there if we need it.

If your going to put Watts in the "new group", then you should also include Blease, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Bail and McNamara.........Mckenizie?

Jurrah aswell......

Only put Watts in the "new group" as I listed players (mostly) in alphabetical order, and you can only have 20 options in each group (poll rules), hence why Watts Jack had to be put in that group. No hidden agenda behind it.

B: Rivers Warnock Bennell

HB: McDonald Frawley Bruce

C: Morton Moloney Scully

HF: Sylvia Watts Bate

F: Jurrah Miller Wonaeamirri

Foll: Jamar Sylvia Grimes

Int: MacDonald, Green, Martin, Jones

Emerg: Petterd, Tapscott, Blease

I feel the pre-season games should strongly exercise the one who cant quite make it, like: Dunn, Bartram, Meesen, Bail, PJ, Spencer, Jetta, maric and etc. And even give a game to; Newton, Bell.

To see if form might grant them a spot in the side.

My first post since joining demonland.

MFC best 22 to me is:

B Junior Warnock J.Mac

HB Grimes Frawley Rivers

C Morton Sylvia Bruce

HF Bate Watts Davey

F Austin Jurrah Petterd

R Jamar Jones Moloney

I Green Scully Trengove Martin

Emerg: Garland Dunn Bennell

I see Martin's role in this side being that he will play 70% game time with 30% in ruck and 40% in the forward line (30% benchtime). Atm I can't see him being more than a pinch hitting forward whose role is to take the biggest defender and free up Jurrah rather than our permenant one. Also, J Watts is capable of playing chf forward because he will rely on his pace and engine rather than smashing packs open. Miller is not needed.

If your going to put Watts in the "new group", then you should also include Blease, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Bail and McNamara.........Mckenizie?

Jurrah aswell......

Didn't put ANY rookies in the list, hence no Newton/Meesen.

The opening post indicated that if ALL personnel were fit, what team would we select. So not picking Garland, or any other player that has had an injury-interupted 2009 is your choice, but I am assuming it's because they aren't good enough to get a spot in our first 22?

Jnr Warnock Rivers

Grimes Frawley JMac

Morton Moloney Davey

Jamar Bruce Jones

Bate Miller Sylvia

Garland Jurrah Trengove

Martin Green Bennell Scully

There's going to be some fearsome competition for places - cannot get Watts in yet for team balance.