Demons make further changes

beelzebub

I cant see us really being able to pick anyone other than whom we want in the PSD except for our first pick.. Yes some teams will pass, but I suppose it might have a practical side.. Big gamble

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list management we are witnessing.

That is right. From an MFC point of view this is perfect - two fringe (at best) players removed from the PL with the promise of a Rookie Listing and their contract intact.

As an aside - I'm not certain there is an incentive from a players perspective to do this but maybe they were told that they would be delisted and paid out anyway so they may aswell take the guarantee of a spot in the AFL system.

It's a strange bloody system I think we can all agree.

There won't be much at 50 but whoever it is - they will be more value than Newton. And with GC17 taking the first 5 rookies, Pick 50 becomes the last prospect to be picked up, assuming MacDonald or Thorpe are taken in the PSD.

Very smart list management.

Now all they have to do is pick the right kids...

GC17 have the first 5 picks in the Rookie draft.

Pick 50 in the National draft > pick 6 in the rookie draft.

This is great list management.

Newton and Meesan both are very outside chances of becoming quality AFL players. Meesan more likely, but he is injured with stress fractures.

Drafting them in the rookie draft means we still these the possibility of them making it and the demons benefiting from that! Plus, now we get 2 more picks in the ND

Thanks for this ..... must agree that it is clever list management ( except for my two cloggers!)

The site does not give the terms of Bartram's , McNamara's and Cheney's contracts. Hopefully Bart's is only one year

It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't use pick 50 but took two players in the PSD, Thorp and McDonald.

Or if we did use pick 50 it may be for McDonald.

Reverse the names and you might be right.

Thorpe will probably nominate for the ND, and we should know today.

Guest hangon007

However is calling the shots down at the Demons is not only very smart ... they are now turning out to be very ruthless ... I like it. Here we come!!!!

33 and 49 actually, now that LB has gone into the ND. :)

not quite.. ND picks remain unchanged.. we now have an opportunity to pick someone else with PSD1

As in one of the picks before 34 will now be used on Ball, thus we essentially have pick 33

ahghh point taken...my bad !! :lol: good point actually ;)

Guest melbman
I suppose the romantic notion is Patrick.

We have looked and spoken to Patrick by all accounts

I don't know the drafting rules and so this could be/probably is a silly question but if Patrick (or any one else, say some one we've spotted) nominated for the ND with outrageous terms and nobody therefore picked him up could we then grab him with PSD pick 1?

I don't know the drafting rules and so this could be/probably is a silly question but if Patrick (or any one else, say some one we've spotted) nominated for the ND with outrageous terms and nobody therefore picked him up could we then grab him with PSD pick 1?

The problem then is that we ourselves would have to fulfill these 'outrageous' terms etc. And he may not be worth it ( yet ). But..on the surface yes. As a practicality..NO.

Much better ( though a little more risky ) to have him nominate for the ND.. Melbourne and Hawthorn know of him better than others apparently.. whilst the Lions and Roos are keeping a quiet eye.

Now looking at these four teams' picks :

Brisbane Lions 27 47 76 92 ( unlikely to use 27 or 47 on a raw smokie )

Hawthorn 39 46 57 58 69 70 73 88 ( more than likely to use 39 and 46 on better known draftees)

Melbourne 1 2 11 18 34 50 66 82 98

North Melbourne 5 21 25 37 41 53 85 ( might bring 41 onwards into play depending on how keen )

Melbourne really have 34 and 50 to play with. 1, 2, 11 and 18 will all go the way of established thinkings.. and to some degree known entities. 34 and 50 can be variously speculative. We wont be able to get away with the sheer murde rof last years coup though ;)

actually...how does it work if say Meesen gets picked up ? Would any subsequent contract simply make null and void ( by agreement ) the MFC one.. Do we have to pay the ( MFC ) contracted amount for the first year with pick up club topping up , if required ?

or are we simply off the hook with new club to sort it out ( highly unlikely but offer it up for discussion )

Good move from the Club.

If there's not much interest in these players it makes sense to move them to the rookie list, given the compromised nature of future drafts.

Completely unexpected, and flies in the face of many posters on here who didn't agree with the policy of delisting contracted players.

From what I've read, people didn't agree with the idea of paying out contracted players.

We still have a contract with both players - they are just being moved to the rookie list (unless someone takes them in the ND).

I just think this is very smart list management by our Club. All we need now is to come up trumps on most / all of our draft selections, and we will be on the cusp of a very exciting future.

whats the chances Hawks (or somebody looking for a ruckman) could pickup meesen? or is his injury that bad...

There is no chance in the world of that happening. Firstly there's still no evidence that he's any good after 5 years on an AFL list, and he has a career threatening injury. His value as a player could not possibly get any lower; it's at rock bottom.

Ok, so can someone explain this to me.

Both players, as mature-aged rookie, have only the one year on their new contracts? Is that right?

This would require a ruckman and KP forward to be badly injured for them to be able to play ANY football next year, LET ALONE enough to be able to retain a spot for 2011.

This is tantamount to the both of them being delisted at the end of next season. Essentially we have gotten both players as close to being delisted as we could given theri current contract situations...

Or did I miss something?

Ok, so can someone explain this to me.

Both players, as mature-aged rookie, have only the one year on their new contracts? Is that right?

This would require a ruckman and KP forward to be badly injured for them to be able to play ANY football next year, LET ALONE enough to be able to retain a spot for 2011.

This is tantamount to the both of them being delisted at the end of next season. Essentially we have gotten both players as close to being delisted as we could given theri current contract situations...

Or did I miss something?

Correct, 1 year remaining on both their contracts.

However, you are forgetting that come round 11 next year, 1 rookie can automatically be upgraded to play senior football. Therefore, they have a bit of incentive to perform. Also, it is rare for teams to not have long term injuries during the season, so they can also be upgraded that way.

It is great list management by the club. Lets Meesen get over his injury then perform in VFL, and gives Juice a kick up the ass which he needs. Whilst allowing us 2 extra picks in the draft.