Scully, Trengrove, Butcher, Ball

DeeM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother always told me not to count my Balls before they hatched and I've always considered that to be sage advice.

I won't believe the Luke Ball story until I see him in red and blue. I think ATM he would still be even money about Ball remaining a Saint.

I agree... at some stage through out trade week he must have considered his options if he did not get to collingwood and there was never a mention that he would consider playing for us knowing we have the first pick in the psd so i think there is a high probability he will remain at the saints thats not too say melbourne won't be doing everything in its power to persuade him otherwise.

I hope we get him would be great.

If Ball nominates for the ND then it is crystal clear he doesn't want to become a demon. Wasting an early draft pick on a disgruntled 25 year old who doesn't want to come to our club is just about the dumbest thing I can think of.

There's no way that Ball will nominate for the ND because there's too much uncertainty involved and he'll want to be the master of his own destiny.

He'll remain a Saint or nominate for the PSD.

re-sign with St Kilda - no, retire - no, enter the ND and risk ending up anywhere in the country - no, this leaves one option and the only realistic option. I claim no insider information but am 99% certain he will be in the red and blue next year.

That's a Melbourne supporter's view. How do you know that Melbourne isn't in fact his least preferred option? He may well decide that "I would rather be anywhere else in the country than the Dees". And if he is realy that uncertain about the national draft, and doesn't want to go to Melbourne, then he'll sign a one year contract with St Kilda.

That's a Melbourne supporter's view. How do you know that Melbourne isn't in fact his least preferred option? He may well decide that "I would rather be anywhere else in the country than the Dees". And if he is realy that uncertain about the national draft, and doesn't want to go to Melbourne, then he'll sign a one year contract with St Kilda.

Knowing his manager quite well, and in fact when I saw him a few weeks back unprompted he said "you'd want to be a Dees supporter for the next 10 years", such is his regard for our future prospects, then I'd think it unlikely Ball would have the view you paint. And if he did, I suspect it would soften after talks with said manager.

Knowing his manager quite well, and in fact when I saw him a few weeks back unprompted he said "you'd want to be a Dees supporter for the next 10 years", such is his regard for our future prospects, then I'd think it unlikely Ball would have the view you paint. And if he did, I suspect it would soften after talks with said manager.

That's encouraging! Thanks H.

I realise this but its a possibility

Think they are into young Jordan Gysberts aswell ... However, heard from a reliable source Port complained about how the Eastern Rangers kids lacked preparation for their interviews.

I think every kid in the draft would've made himself look like a dip$hit in the Port interview..... Who the hell would want to play there?!?!?! :D

Add Vardy at pick 18 and you have my dream draft result.

The 2 best players in the draft, both mids, along with the best KPF and the best ruck would be a dream result imo. Add a readymade upgrade for Brock in the PSD and we will have done very well.

I think there's a reasonable chance Butcher could slide to us. More likely he'll be gone but if WC take Jetta over Lucas we could be a chance. Tapscott and Lucas would be hard for Port to pass up.

If he is gone, I wouldn't be upset with taking Griffiths as has been suggested. I think he'd compliment Watts perfectly if he can get his body right. If anyone knows what kind of injuries he's had I'd be grateful if you could fill us in.

As for Vardy, now is the perfect time to spend a half decent pick on a ruckman. I know a lot of people here think picking rucks in or near the first round is too speculative, but picking them in the rookie draft is just a lottery. All our ruckmen are ooc at the end of this year, 1 or 2 are likely to be moved on at the end of the year. Picking Vardy would send a pretty clear message. If we want a list with no holes in it in 3 years we should be looking for a decent ruck prospect now. Pick 18 is essentially a 4th round pick for us if that helps the rucks aren't necessary brigade to rationalise it :D

And finally, it'd be great to get someone of Luke Ball's calibre for nothing in the PSD, but I won't lose any sleep if he decides not to come to us. It won't mean we're a basketcase of a club or worse as will certainly be claimed around here. Footballers have it drummed into them to think week to week and not get ahead of themselves. 2 or 3 years away sounds like an eternity for a footballer. The club is doing the right thing thinking long term, but it doesn't make us super attractive as a destination just yet. By this time next year or at the worst the year after players will be very keen to come to us. That's the problem with PSD pick 1 landing any big fish, you're using a wooden spoon as bait.

oh dear .. I've heard something different regarding Pick #11.

but the first 2 selections are spot on .. with the possibility of Ball.

Pick #11 will be a very interesting scenario .. depending on who is available.

Any hints doc?

FWIW, a mate of mine (Essendon supporter) works for a software company who is the main supplier for Kaspersky. At a function last week, he mentioned to one of the assistant coaches at Melbourne (didn't say which one) that he'd appreciate them passing on Ball in the psd. Our coach responded that it was all but a done deal that he'd be in the red and blue next season.

oh dear .. I've heard something different regarding Pick #11.

but the first 2 selections are spot on .. with the possibility of Ball.

Pick #11 will be a very interesting scenario .. depending on who is available.

About the most realistic thing said about pick 11 yet. WE are our own masters re 1 and 2 but we can only speculate and hypothesise the scenarios regarding 11.

A few more players may yet engage interest via the PSD for some clubs and the nature of shopping list only has to alter for a couple of clubs and picks3-17 can change dramatically..which of course affects our own 11 and then 18.

Youd almost have to think Butcher is bordering on a project player with his list of pros and cons. I dont think thats the way we look at players anymore; we can afford to be more discerning.

Any hints doc?

FWIW, a mate of mine (Essendon supporter) works for a software company who is the main supplier for Kaspersky. At a function last week, he mentioned to one of the assistant coaches at Melbourne (didn't say which one) that he'd appreciate them passing on Ball in the psd. Our coach responded that it was all but a done deal that he'd be in the red and blue next season.

I've heard that a young Vardy has shot up in demand since Matthew Lobbe/Fabian Deluca have been de-listed.

He has something going for him in that: he's probably the only real "decent" young ruck prospect that looks like he's going to make it as a full time ruckman at AFL level (NB: I don't count Fitzpatrick as a ruckman, I like James Craig too - but at 195 cms, despite his fantastic leap, he'll be better suited to a KP role).

Melbourne have identified ruckmen as a need - ditto Adelaide.

looks like it will be a race for Vardy between Port/Adel/Melb.

I suspect at this stage Port will go tall at #8/#9 (or take an exceptional homegrown talent: Tapscott).

Meaning that Melbourne might have to pull the trigger on Vardy at #11 to beat Adelaide to him (as they enter the draft at #13) .. or consequently take their chances at him maybe being around at #18.

This is similar to 2006 when Carlton took Hampson at Pick #17, because Essendon had him lined up at #18 (they went with Jetta instead).

Draft day is not just about getting the best available for your club .. its also about playing mind games with other clubs :lol:

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

About the most realistic thing said about pick 11 yet. WE are our own masters re 1 and 2 but we can only speculate and hypothesise the scenarios regarding 11.

A few more players may yet engage interest via the PSD for some clubs and the nature of shopping list only has to alter for a couple of clubs and picks3-17 can change dramatically..which of course affects our own 11 and then 18.

Youd almost have to think Butcher is bordering on a project player with his list of pros and cons. I dont think thats the way we look at players anymore; we can afford to be more discerning.

Exactly,

It's all well and good to have a plan going into draft day - (eg. Sculley/Trengove and then Butcher at #11), but people also need to remember that other clubs have similar plans - and circumstances change on draft day.

Where a bolter emerges, smokies are picked up earlier than expected or a touted early selection drops in selection.

A lot goes on behind closed doors.

you never know, Melbourne may be faced with a good problem at Pick #11 - do they go with need or best available, should someone like Kane Lucas still be around come Pick #11?

Draft day is all about mind games and poker faces ... never let on! <_<

I've heard that a young Vardy has shot up in demand since Matthew Lobbe/Fabian Deluca have been de-listed.

He has 2 things going for him: He's an Adelaide boy

I suspect at this stage Port will go tall at #8/#9 (or take an exceptional homegrown talent: Tapscott/Sheppard).

Brad Sheppard is from WA and Nathan Vardy is from Gippsland. Neither of them would be a home grown local boy for either of the Adelaide clubs.

James Craig looks decent enough but his height worries me - he's only 195cm which is short for a ruckman, athletic abilities aside.

I'd be more inclined to go with Vardy

Craig has a fantastic leap - but you're right at 195 cms, if anything he'd be more young Jeff White.

I think he would be super as a KPP because of his leap - his kicking may need work though.

Craig has a fantastic leap - but you're right at 195 cms, if anything he'd be more young Jeff White.

I think he would be super as a KPP because of his leap - his kicking may need work though.

Fair point.

Either way, it adds another variation to what may happen on draft day.

As you said, someone as good as Lucas could even slip to us.

Is it really 40 odd days away still..??