Jamar and Miller Signed to Dees

Armitage Shanks

interesting .. Had heard Russian was to sign for 2 , wonder how and why he agrred t one at Melbourne when he could have easily got 2-3 at Port ? Strange days indeed

By my reckoning he asked for 1 off his own bat (or his manager's). Backs himself to be better off in the long run if he is available this time next year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest melbman
Also good for Jamar, he should back himself to have a good season next year to get a better contract or to be picked up by GC17.

Good point. I think he will have a very good year next year. I hope he silences some critics, or at least makes converts out of them :lol:

interesting .. Had heard Russian was to sign for 2 , wonder how and why he agrred t one at Melbourne when he could have easily got 2-3 at Port ? Strange days indeed

The club definitely offered Jamar 2 years. Port must have made quite a play for him, so he's come back with 1 year, which the club's taken. Makes him available to either GC17 or PA at end of 2010, while giving him a chance to pump up his value. While giving time for Meese, Stef, Spencer or PJ to show the club who's ready to take over (or to be delisted) if he leaves at end 2010.

Miller was always likely to head for GC17 - 2010 for him will be a major audition for his ability to lead a forward line full of young kids, so he also gets a big chance to inflate his value.

Both deals good for both parties IMO. I'm very happy.

Might still.

might still what ?? sign with us for two or go a wandering ?

well if Russian wants to pump up his tyres and come out firing in 010 then good for us.

We need someone else to come on then ... seems writing is on our wall :rolleyes:

Good result all round here.

With so many kids on the list, and more to come, we can't let all the experience go from the list in one hit.

Not world beaters, but solid citizens, and important to the club at the minute......glad they are both staying!

Good point. I think he will have a very good year next year. I hope he silences some critics, or at least makes converts out of them :lol:

I thought Brad Miller was contracted for 2010 already??? As are Belly and Newton. If not, would have thought that Brad would have been in the debate over keeping Robbo as surely Miller, Bell and Newton are in marginal group.

Agree 1 year is strange for both of them

That's sad

Yep.

And its absolutely fantasy that GC will be chasing Miller when he cant even get a consistent game at MFC. Oh that right, Miller comes from Qld. Therefore GC will organise a family repatriation trade offering high draft picks for him. Maybe they'll also offer one to Petterd.

While many criticise Miller, his leadership and work ethic is exactly what has been missing from many of our forwards. I would be happy if Watts and co learnt those traits off Miller.

Jamar is an interesting one. I would have thought he would have been offered two years.

It's just a shame that Miller is given a contract extension while a player like Buckley is likely to get delisted. Yes, they play different positions but I would prefer Buckley at CHF rather than Miller.

I still don't think we'll need to delist him. Our 4 top-20 picks in the ND will do us fine, we won't need any more. Buckley (or Valenti or Bartram or whoever) is better than pick 34, and the PSD is going up in smoke. It's just a matter of who out of Spencer & Valenti is our 3-year rookie, and if someone else goes, even for a late pick that we don't use, we keep them both.

Interesting.

I think Jamar and his manager have the belief that he is about to have a breakout year and this contract allows him an opportunity to boost his currency this time next year. Rather than the so-so ("you're all potential thus far") contract that would have been offered to him this year. I am happy to have the Russian on board, I hope he does have a huge year. We need to start winning games to give our younger players some hope and without a genuine ruckman in the middle like Jamar this was going to be very difficult.

I have a small wiggle of faith that Brad can play the role we want him to this year, even if it is just to provide a presence up forward of the physical type. To state the obvious, he needs to kick goals and with our new look midfield, hopefully the delivery into the forward line will give him plenty of opportunities.

A interesting, satisfying result.

Yep.

And its absolutely fantasy that GC will be chasing Miller when he cant even get a consistent game at MFC. Oh that right, Miller comes from Qld. Therefore GC will organise a family repatriation trade offering high draft picks for him. Maybe they'll also offer one to Petterd.

Nobody is saying that Miller will command a good price from the GC, but he'll cost them virtually nothing as part of their huge salary cap and they could do worse in terms of leadership.

They'll need to somehow get a list of 44 players together, so they'll definitely need list fillers. At 26, Miller might be a good fit to mentor the younger players.

If we get pick 40 for him, that's 1 pick more than we were going to get from him this year.

Nobody is saying that Miller will command a good price from the GC, but he'll cost them virtually nothing as part of their huge salary cap and they could do worse in terms of leadership.

They'll need to somehow get a list of 44 players together, so they'll definitely need list fillers. At 26, Miller might be a good fit to mentor the younger players.

If we get pick 40 for him, that's 1 pick more than we were going to get from him this year.

fair points all.

GC have to compensate according to the rules of engagement, so possibly its a win win.

Still first of all he has to put more runs on the board in 010...he hasnt gone yet ;)

Its got little to do with price. They could get him in the PSD.

Why would GC chase a fringe player from a bottom club when they would have so many other options to go for?

Its naive they will be out to get stocking fillers.

He will be 27 at the end of 2010 and as a fringe player.....its good bye.

Yes.its quite possible the future is now but if and should he go to the GC we will be compensated.Simple as that. Pick 40 or even 50 is something

Its got little to do with price. They could get him in the PSD.

Why waste a PSD pick on him when they could give us pick 40 for him and still have another 875 picks remaining?

He will be 27 at the end of 2010 and as a fringe player.....its good bye.

Absolutely, which is why a 1 year deal is a good outcome for Melbourne one way or the other.

Why waste a PSD pick on him when they could give us pick 40 for him and still have another 875 picks remaining?

Absolutely, which is why a 1 year deal is a good outcome for Melbourne one way or the other.

Does not answer my question nor address my response.

Oh well.

I like the 1 year contracts for both players.

Keep them on their toes, they must perform or else "There's the door"

If either or both are playing Top Footy by late next year i am sure we can sign them up in time if they are required.

2010 is going to be a pivotal year for the Demons.

The Press won't see it, but we supporters who watch every week will see Big Changes.

1 year Contracts will hopefully make Miller & the Russian Hungry to succeed, get out there & Find the Ball & not just wait for somrthing to happen.

Good Call Footy Dept.

Does not answer my question nor address my response.

Oh well.

I hate it when people on here get personal, but I'm going to because you need to be told. Demonland was a much nicer, friendlier, more relevant and engaging place when you weren't here Rhino.

No hard feelings, but your ego is flat out tiresome.

I am not sold on, nor particularly like this "he will definitely go to the Gold Coast" attitude, it seems like a pie in the sky hope for those who still want to [censored] all over Miller......

That being said he is not necessarily a long term player with Melbourne so maybe it is an option, it is nothing more than an unrealistic assumption at this point, so please I beg you, have a more little logic and common sense with this, just because he comes from Queensland and he may be out at the end of 2010 in reality means bugger [censored] all and it is insane to jump the gun this early.

While many criticise Miller, his leadership and work ethic is exactly what has been missing from many of our forwards. I would be happy if Watts and co learnt those traits off Miller.

Too many idiots around here get so caught up in the berating of this player that this fact (yes fact) is utterly lost on them.......

It shouldn't be, and it is a criminal shame that so many here chose to ignore how valuable he is to the club and in teaching the young playing group, especially when there are no others (forwards) to take up the responsibilities he carries. His work ethic, attitude to the club (which is disrespected by too many around here) and leadership are all things I for one want our next crop of kids to learn from.

Glad to still have you here Brad.

don't complain! means we're not locked down next year. Wonder what we'll be saying/seeing in a years time...

Great point but it gives us a chance to see if they are worth keeping any more than next year.

i think that definitely means miller will be used as trade bait for GC17!

if we cant trade Bell in the next few days i think we will have plenty of players to [censored] off at the end of next season! Newton, Miller, PJ, Bell, etc.. we dont have that many old players left we can force to retire.. so we will finally just ditch the crap