Scully and Butcher at Visy Park today

Demonic_Inferno

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went along to Visy Park today to watch Dandenong vs Gippsland, was a good standard match. Scully was playing in the half-backline for some reason but then switched to the centre after halftime. There was one particular passage of play which had star quality written all over it, it was an old one two. He's pretty fast and has a good football brain. I feel it was one of his quieter matches. It's the only one I've seen of him live, but I've seen the Youtube footage too.

Butcher was also pretty good, he uses his body well in one on one situations and has a good mark. Fluffed one kick but also booted a few goals. From what I saw today he looks good.

Saw Cameron Schwab there who said hi, there were a few Demons people there which was good to see.

more details please!!! :)

Yeah, I went today as well, the thing that impressed me about Scully today was his tank, the kid ran all day, did not come off once and rested in the forward line. I was slightly underwhelmed by him for the first 3 quarters but he came alive in the last quarter and basically brought the Stingrays to life. He seemed to be playing on the wing initially and really came into it once he was put on the ball. Fantastic by hand, absolutely fantastic, some of his kicking was a bit up and under though.

Butcher - a good touch in the first 2 minutes of the game and then seemed to float around a fair bit, he is a big lump of a lad though. No goals that I saw.

Went along to Visy Park today to watch Dandenong vs Gippsland, was a good standard match. Scully was playing in the half-backline for some reason but then switched to the centre after halftime. There was one particular passage of play which had star quality written all over it, it was an old one two. He's pretty fast and has a good football brain. I feel it was one of his quieter matches. It's the only one I've seen of him live, but I've seen the Youtube footage too.

Butcher was also pretty good, he uses his body well in one on one situations and has a good mark. Fluffed one kick but also booted a few goals. From what I saw today he looks good.

Saw Cameron Schwab there who said hi, there were a few Demons people there which was good to see.

Yeah, i went as well, didn't see Butcher's goals, I was wrangling a 5 year old as well ;) I thought Scully's last quarter was match winning for the Stingrays

Yeah, i went as well, didn't see Butcher's goals, I was wrangling a 5 year old as well ;) I thought Scully's last quarter was match winning for the Stingrays

Yeah that's when the passage of play I was talking about happened. He did set up a few things in that last quarter, the game did seem to swing towards the Stingrays when he came back into the centre after halftime.

There's some good talent in those two teams!

Would not touch Butcher based on today's performance. Unless he marks it first time, there is no second effort and a lot of standing on the outside of packs waiting for someone else to do the work. Poor defensively, lost count of the times his opponent ran the ball out of defence.

He looks good at this level because he is tall compared to his opponents. Will fit in well at Coburg with the Richmond seconds.

Scully on the other hand won the game. Not played on the ball until the last quarter, he had 4 successive clearances which broke the opposition. Lightning fast hands and good decision making combined with relentless running will make him something special for us. We don't have anyone who handles the ball this well.

5 opponent were rotated on him during the day. He just ran them around, even if he wasn't involved in the play. Didn't leave the ground for the whole match. Pity was that it appeared the coach was following instructions to "cotton wool" him. Why wouldn't you put him in the middle for the first 3 quarters? However, when the match needed winning, he was unleashed.

Would not touch Butcher based on today's performance. Unless he marks it first time, there is no second effort and a lot of standing on the outside of packs waiting for someone else to do the work. Poor defensively, lost count of the times his opponent ran the ball out of defence.

I should mention I am in the 'two mids' camp at this stage, however we'll have to agree to disagree re: Butcher today. I thought he played pretty well, though his second efforts weren't anything to write home about yes.

And yes it could be true regarding Scully being put in cotton wool, I'm not sure why he was played in the backline for a half or so...

Saw Schwabby there as well. Are you sure you were watching the right tall fwd for the Power? No goals for Butcher today, and the only touches I saw him get (in the second half at least) were both on the wing (two possies, one was a turnover).

Scully BOG, and had a direct influence on the outcome after being moved on ball. I'm excited!

Second Qualifying Final

10.15-75 Gippsland Power

def. by

12.17-89 Dandenong Stingrays

Gippsland Power

Goal Kickers: T. Northe 3, D. Woodhead 2, D. Heppell 2, K. Asa Leausa, M. ROSS, M. Dowse

Best Players: D. Heppell, N. Vardy, J. Weston, E. Carr, M. ROSS, K. Asa Leausa

Dandenong Stingrays

Goal Kickers: L. Casboult 3, M. Pitt 2, C. Millard 2, R. Kerr, R. Heddles, W. Petropoulos, M. Shaw, M. Clifford

Best Players: T. Scully, A. McInnes, L. Casboult, D. Roberton, J. Hallahan, C. Millard

Edited by ChaserJ

And yes it could be true regarding Scully being put in cotton wool, I'm not sure why he was played in the backline for a half or so...

There's definitely an element of "You're an absolute monty to get drafted -- let some of the other guys show their wares so they can prove they are good enough too."

This situation happened with a very close friend of mine a couple of years back when he was captain of the Falcons - the coach decided to play him in the backline and give some other boys a run in the middle because it was seen that he was sure to get drafted as he was one of their gun midfielders, his dad played for Geelong and wins weren't important for making finals. He also dominated the Herald Sun Shield.

Unfortunately for him his form dropped being in a foreign position and not being on-ball to get the usual number of touches.

On top of that the other players getting a chance flourished. This all resulted in a handy VFL career to date. Of course, there's a million other stories just like it.

Butcher = SPUD Jay Schulz the 2nd

Butcher = Newton the 2nd

WTF????

6 months ago, it would have been unanimous on this forum to take Butcher at #2.

And all of a sudden he's in the same league as SCHULZ??? Low.

This is an outstanding, top 5 talent we're talking about, not some mid 20 pick at best who we're stupidly considering at #2.

No it wasnt. And as if this Forum is any base of expertise beyond one or two posters here.

This is an outstanding, top 5 talent we're talking about, not some mid 20 pick at best who we're stupidly considering at #2.

Is it? Not according to some but continue with the hyperbole......

BTW, the cheap shots at the kid are unwarranted and ignorant and more a poor reflection of the posters than the player.

BTW, the cheap shots at the kid are unwarranted and ignorant and more a poor reflection of the posters than the player.

It's was a joke. We don't know how Butcher will turn out. I was having a dig at all the Butcher fans who think he should go at 2 when clearly his form doesn't warrant it. There is a massive difference between his best and his worst.

It's was a joke. We don't know how Butcher will turn out. I was having a dig at all the Butcher fans who think he should go at 2 when clearly his form doesn't warrant it. There is a massive difference between his best and his worst.

Butcher was a major disappointment today. He didn't impose himself on the game at any stage and I wouldn't have him in the top 10 in the draft on what he showed today.

Scully wasn't dominant in the first three quarters but he looked classy. He spent a fair bit of the last quarter on the ball and turned the game.

He looks good at this level because he is tall compared to his opponents. Will fit in well at Coburg with the Richmond seconds.

Scully on the other hand won the game. Not played on the ball until the last quarter, he had 4 successive clearances which broke the opposition. Lightning fast hands and good decision making combined with relentless running will make him something special for us. We don't have anyone who handles the ball this well.

5 opponent were rotated on him during the day. He just ran them around, even if he wasn't involved in the play. Didn't leave the ground for the whole match. Pity was that it appeared the coach was following instructions to "cotton wool" him. Why wouldn't you put him in the middle for the first 3 quarters? However, when the match needed winning, he was unleashed.

Thats an interesting take on things..

Following instructions from Bailey an BP an Co?

WTF????

And all of a sudden he's in the same league as SCHULZ??? Low.

Outstanding talent who does not work hard enough.

I may have been one of the first to lay claim last year to one young J Butcher.

But this year I must admit have caught up with this modern game which has recently changed, especially over the last 3 or so years, & still rapidly changing towards defensive pressure & just plain old sleeves rolled up hard work, non stop.

Players must be highly skilled, footy smart, fit & strong & bloody hard workers with an absolute dedication & hard work ethic.

To me, Butcher is a great mark, a reasonable kick at goal, I question whether he can field kick well to teammates. Tallish & has speed. But I think he lacks work ethic.

I watched him a few times this year & I would not use pick 2 for him.

I think he's going to be an AFL player, but I doubt he'll be a superstar. Yes, most aren't, but you have to work hard first & build your fitness base & your skills to recapture the spilt ball. 2nd & 3rd efforts & selfless acts are what you want to see on top of good marking & attack on the ball.

I'm off the pick 2 - Butcher bandwagon this year & would use it elsewhere.

Trengove, Talia, Martin, Cunnington, Morabito.

Edited by dee-luded

I was also firmly in the Scully/Butcher camp until people started making comments re his lack of work and second efforts and giving good strong arguments why we should go with the two mids instead.

Now, well and truly on the two mids bandwagon and rightly so I think.

Scully is #1 no question short of a Catastrophe occuring between now and draft day.

My choice for #2 is Trengove. Morabito has a lot of upside but just dont think we need someone who is described as having the X factor. X = who the hell knows and I want to know what I am getting for #2. I think we do with Trengove.

Back to the game - I didnt see it, naturally, but going from reports from WJ and George as well as the other fine posters on the forums, perhaps Scully was being "cottonwoolled"(?) - Graeme Yeats is Stringrays coach and we all know of his association with our wonderful club. He says he just wants Tom to enjoy his last games in the lower ranks before he goes on to have a fine career in the AFL.

Butcher, being a forward, should be getting goals and he was well beaten by his opponent. He is a great size and will be a good forward for whomever recruits him but will he be great? I dont think so unless he gets a new attitude to second efforts and team play. I get the impression he is a receiver and his defensive work in the foward line is not great.

Checking the TAC website it appears Butch didn't get any goals, I could've sworn he did but maybe I was confusing him with another dude who has a very similar hairstyle and general appearance.

However there's no mistaking him up close, and the lad can certainly take a strong mark. He's not as bad as some people have made out on these forums without seeing him in the flesh. Regardless I still sit in the 2 mids camp.

When I first got there gee the Power looked the superior team, there was a rain of goals in that second quarter and I couldn't see the scoreboard from where I was and assumed they must be leagues ahead. And Scully was hardly involved in the play till after half time, but came alive in that last quarter.

I think it must be true what others have said re: cotton wool. Why would you start a star midfielder in the half backline in a final?

Edited by Demonic_Inferno