Phantom Draft

cooko

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read and seen I think the top 3 is set.

Scully, Trengrove and Morabito, maybe not in that order but that will be the top 3 unless someone kills it at draft camp like Hill did.

Positions 4-8 will go to Butcher, Rohan, Cunnington, Lucas and Martin.

Then there is a big group that could go anywhere from 9-20.

Welcome to the stage... Gary Rohan!

The biggest knock on Hill last year was that even when WA was dominating he still only picked up around 15 possessions.

You gotta think about who has pick 3 as well... Richmond aren't renowned for their drafting prowess - but CAC is now in charge over there after a stellar record picking for us.

Make up your own mind on that one.

Do you think Carlisle or Talia will be thereabouts at pick 18?

And what about Colyer, do you think his name will be read out before 34?

At this stage...I'd be *extremely* happy with (assuming no trades): -

1 Scully

2 Trengove

18 Talia or Carlisle

34 Colyer

3 mids; 1 KPF

* * - edit

Sorry mate,

I didnt see your post.

I think one of Carlisle or Talia will be there at #18 - most likely Carlisle

I honestly think teams like Carlton, Essendon and WB will select for need - so I can't see Talia getting pas Pick #13/14'ish

I don't think Colyer will be a first rounder - but I doubt he'd make it all the way #34.

However, given his size - and lack of "a real" position at AFL level, clubs may overlook him in the 2nd round - and he could fall to Melbourne in the 3rd.

I know it sounds as if I'm heding my bets both ways - but its a strange year for drafting - as you never know what approach some clubs will take given the circumstances surrounding this draft.

Sorry mate :wacko:

Sorry mate,

I didnt see your post.

I think one of Carlisle or Talia will be there at #18 - most likely Carlisle

I honestly think teams like Carlton, Essendon and WB will select for need - so I can't see Talia getting pas Pick #13/14'ish

I don't think Colyer will be a first rounder - but I doubt he'd make it all the way #34.

However, given his size - and lack of "a real" position at AFL level, clubs may overlook him in the 2nd round - and he could fall to Melbourne in the 3rd.

I know it sounds as if I'm heding my bets both ways - but its a strange year for drafting - as you never know what approach some clubs will take given the circumstances surrounding this draft.

Sorry mate :wacko:

No probs. Thanks for your reply. I could honestly see Colyer going to Freo or WCE. I know alot don't have alot of wraps for him because of his size, and tbh I'm not certain how he'll be at AFL level mainly because of others opnion on his size, and not entirely sure whether our FD are interested in talking to him. But if we get Trengove & Scully early and maybe someone like Carlisle (KPF) at 18, if Colyer hasn't been picked up at 34 - I'd take him in a heartbeat because he can play, and he has excellent pace.

No probs. Thanks for your reply. I could honestly see Colyer going to Freo or WCE. I know alot don't have alot of wraps for him because of his size, and tbh I'm not certain how he'll be at AFL level mainly because of others opnion on his size, and not entirely sure whether our FD are interested in talking to him. But if we get Trengove & Scully early and maybe someone like Carlisle (KPF) at 18, if Colyer hasn't been picked up at 34 - I'd take him in a heartbeat because he can play, and he has excellent pace.

Yep agree'd I think he'd be decent value at #34.

Re: Carlisle - if he was quicker, he'd most likely be a Top #10 selection.

Let's fire this baby up again...

Here is my first proper attempt at a Phantom Draft, ever... it'll be a shocker

1. Melb - Tom Scully (PP)

2. Melb - Jack Trengove

3. Rich - Anthony Morabito

4. Freo - John Butcher

5. North - Ben Cunnington

6. WC - Kane Lucas

7. Syd - Gary Rohan

8. Port - Koby Stevens

9. Haw - Luke Tapscott

10. Ess - Dustin Martin

11. Bris - Daniel Talia

12. Carl - Jake Carlisle

13. Adel - Jesse Crichton

14. WB - Lewis Jetta

15. Coll - Nathan Vardy

16. Geel - Matthew Panos

17. StK - Allen Christensen

Round 2

18. Melb - Mitch Duncan

Wow. Nothing like trying to write up a list like this, to make you realise how little you know about any of the draftees and how hard the real job must be.

NFI

Edited by Enforcer25

2. Melb - Jack Trengove

3. Rich - Anthony Morabito

4. Freo - John Butcher

5. North - Ben Cunnington

I'll go:

1- Scully (us)

2- Morabito (us)

3- Trengove (Bitchmond, poor kid)

4- Talia (Peeo)

5- Butcher (WCE / Poorth)

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Why are some even bothering to guess what the draft will be already?

Draft camp is still to come which will certainly change things, I can guarantee that.

You might as well as why anyone posts on here at all. Why put opinions on who will play? Or who should get delisted? Or whether we think Yoda is a good coach? Or who will win the coaches award?

It's done because we enjoy the meaningless speculation that is the football world. That's why.

You might as well as why anyone posts on here at all. Why put opinions on who will play? Or who should get delisted? Or whether we think Yoda is a good coach? Or who will win the coaches award?

It's done because we enjoy the meaningless speculation that is the football world. That's why.

:lol: yes your right, but I think you get me.

It just seems to hard with so much still to play out.

6. WC - Kane Lucas

7. Syd - Gary Rohan

West Coast now have pick 7 and Sydney pick 6.

1. Scully (Melb)

2. Rohan (Melb)

3. Trengove (Rich)

4. Morabito (Freo)

Melbourne will most probably take Scully with pick 1. An amazing talent, skills, speed, endurance etc

I think the draft camp results will push Rohan way up the list. Speed, agility, kicking skills etc.

IMO pick 2 will be between Rohan and Trengove.

Both have exceptional skills by hand and foot, can play forward etc.

Rohan has speed to burn and X factor, Trengove has strength and class.

If they can't split the 2 they'll probably take the Vic boy.

I would be stoked with either ;)

I believe both have better kicking skills than Scully but Scully is a better overall package and deserves to go pick 1.

Morabito has X factor but his kicking skills are nowhere near the above three.

Bailey has stated on numerous occasions that skills by foot are priority #1.

West Coast now have pick 7 and Sydney pick 6.

Well obviously I was guessing the outcome of those games.

Syney to take Lucas and WC to take Rohan the pick after, in that case.

1. Scully

2. Butcher

3. Trengove

4. Morabito

5. Rohan

6. Talia

17. Jetta (Total guess, based on 3 minutes of highlights)

Do we have a good enough midfield so we can take Butcher? That for mine is the question the recruiters will be asking themselves. He's going to go top 5 or as he's an undoubted talent, but is he as good as Trengove or Morabito? I hope so if this is the draft order. Roll on November 26.

Edited by Roost It

Ok,

Revised Phantom Draft with order changed now it is set in stone.

Make that Phantom Draft Mk II

2. Melb - John Butcher

3. Rich - Jack Trengove

4. Freo - Anthony Morabito

5. North - Gary Rohan

6. Sydney - Ben Cunnington (line-ball decision between him & Lucas)

7. WC - Kane Lucas (to continue the tradition of pick 7s - the kid is a gem)

8. Port - Koby Stevens

9. Haw - Daniel Talia

I shall stop there until more of the order is finalized.

Ok,

Revised Phantom Draft with order changed now it is set in stone.

Make that Phantom Draft Mk II

2. Melb - John Butcher

3. Rich - Jack Trengove

4. Freo - Anthony Morabito

5. North - Gary Rohan

6. Sydney - Ben Cunnington (line-ball decision between him & Lucas)

7. WC - Kane Lucas (to continue the tradition of pick 7s - the kid is a gem)

8. Port - Koby Stevens

9. Haw - Daniel Talia

I shall stop there until more of the order is finalized.

it won't be butcher we take at 2, the game has passed big gorillas out of goal squares and moved to quicker, smaller forward lines, and i think we will take Trengove and really bolster our midfield.

Yesterday our forward line against the "hardest team to score against" scored easily enough i felt, take Robbo out and put Bate in, wonna in, Jurrah with a pre season and Watts with more bulk and our forward line will be dangerous enough

Lot of water to pass under the bridge - trade week and draft camp.

Pity your wife!

I'm pretty sure if I had a wife she wouldn't let me waste so much time on a forum.

And I'd get my assignments done a lot earlier.

Can't wait for the footy season to end & the draft to come so I can forget about this stuff for a while...

I've turned into a complete footy nerd in the last 6-12 months

Edited by Enforcer25

Scully and Trengove are daylight between the rest and should be locks at 1 & 2.

Tapscott and Panos would be great! I would love another high pick.

Pick 18 should be used on KP. Hopefully Panos falls through. We should be able to do ok with this pick.

Forward line for 2010 should consist.

HF Bate Watts Sylvia

Trengove

FF Aussie Green Jurrah

Jetta Garland Jamar

Maric

I think Green and Garland can be rotated as leading forwards. Green is getting older and is a great accurate kick. Grimes is the general down back now! Newton a leading forward also if he is upto it. Who knows?????

And Garland out of the backline wouldnt hurt us. With Warnock, Frawley, Rivers, Martin, Morton (yes in the backline), Cheney, Grimes we have plenty down there. Could add a couple more options too.

B Cheney Warnock Rivers

Bennell Martin

Bartram

HB Grimes Frawley Morton

Strauss

C Davey McLean Trengove

Blease

HF Bate Watts Sylvia

Petterd

FF Aussie Green Jurrah

Jetta Garland Jamar

Maric Newton

Panos

Ruck Spencer, Jamar, Johnson

Ruck rover Scully, Moloney

Rover Jones, Macca

Int Dunn, Miller, etc.....

Trengove and Davey can also rotate through the forward line.

Scully is the only lock.

The other choice will be out of Butcher, Trengove or Morabito

The choice will depend on who the footy department rates the highest i guess.

My personal choice is Trengove bc I see our midfield as being our major weakness.

Apparently Butcher is in redhot form and making a big shake for pick 2 over the last 2-3 weeks.

We could do worse than have a potential Reiwold/Koschitske twin tower combination in Watts/Butcher.