Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NOT EASY BEING GREEN

Demonland

NOT EASY BEING GREEN by JVM

I don't usually hand out compliments to the AFL but the folks at football's headquarters deserve a round of applause for coming up with the idea of the Green Round for this weekend. The whole concept is brilliant because it adds some much needed colour and oomph to what would otherwise be a dreary collection of games.

Take this Sunday's Melbourne v Fremantle game at the MCG for instance. It loomed as a bit of a bore before the green thing was announced but now, we're all looking forward to it with bated breath ... aren't we?

The green theme is perfectly suited to the home team and not just because its President (get well soon Jimmy) is Irish. Although injured and not playing this week the Demons have a fabulous player in Brad Green who might well be their next captain. He has more than 20 teammates - about half the list - with him on the sick list. The club is so desperate for players that if Kermit the Frog made himself available to play in the Green Round he would surely get a game.

The visitors also have an affinity with the colour green. They are the only club in the competition that incorporates the colour in their guernsey which looks hideous. However, they would surely enhance their away strip this week if they substituted the purple anchor for a green one!

There are so many other ways in which the colour green can be associated with this game. The expression "green around the gills" applies perfectly because the supporters of both clubs have often felt ill or nauseated during the course of many of their games this season.

They must be feeling "green with envy" as they jealously eye the records of the more successful clubs above them on the ladder. The colour is also associated with novices or "greenhorns" and both clubs have introduced a bevy of inexperienced newcomers to the ranks this year (9 and 11 respectively) making an entire team of newbies between them.

The driving force behind everything the AFL does these days is the ringing of cash registers accumulating the folding green stuff. They're not really interested in greenhouse emissions despite the odd ceremonial sideshow of a meeting between the Judd$ter and the Ruddster which helps to justify the former's huge out of salary cap range pay packet. No, it's all about the greenback dollars and in this regard the people at HQ have committed a slight gaffe.

The Demons v Dockers fixture is crying out to get bums on seats at a stage because it's hard to garner public enthusiasm about two down and out sides whose seasons already started unravelling a couple months ago. So they put this game on at the worst possible time slot for any AFL game - 1 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon.

That time is too early for those who like their sleeps after a late Saturday night rage; no good for those involved in junior footy and other sports; inconvenient for church people and the long Sunday brunch set, not to mention the theatregoers. You rarely see a big crowd at these fixtures (especially if they're beamed in homes live against the gate on Fox Sports 1 in the state where the game is played).

And if the matchup is a prospective yawn fest between 15th and 16th on the ladder after a long, hard slog of a season then what hope does the home club have of pulling in enough paying customers to avoid the necessity of paying out lots of those green bank notes to the stadium owner just for the privilege of putting on the game?

And that is exactly what confronts us this Sunday when Melbourne and Fremantle finally meet each other for the first time in 2009. We've had to wait until round 20 although both sides have played a number of other teams twice. Yet, two of the worst performed clubs of the last three years face off for their one and only encounter for the season!

It's enough to make you feel completely greened off!

THE GAME Melbourne v Fremantle at the MCG - Sunday 16 August 2009 at 1:10pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 11 wins Fremantle 13 wins

At the MCG Melbourne 5 wins Fremantle 4 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 6 wins Fremantle 9 wins

The Coaches Bailey 1 win Harvey 1 win

MEDIA

TV Fox Sports 1 (live) at 1.00pm

RADIO ABC774 K-Rock SEN

THE BETTING Melbourne to win $1.93 Fremantle to win $1.80

LAST TIME THEY MET Fremantle 16.18.114 defeated Melbourne 10.8.68 at Subiaco Round 16, 2008

This was yet another forgettable game for a Melbourne languishing at the foot of the AFL ladder. The Demons started like a house on fire and had a good lead at the end of the first quarter but they were reeled in by half time and there was no big second half from Melbourne as there was when the teams met at the MCG earlier in the season. The difference between the teams was that the Dockers had stars in Pavlich (5 goals), Sandilands and Schammer while the Dees were pretty much a shambles after the first quarter.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs Stefan Martin James Frawley Kyle Cheney

Half backs Clint Bartram Jared Rivers Ricky Petterd

Centreline James McDonald Lynden Dunn Cale Morton

Half forwards Brent Moloney Brad Miler Nathan Jones

Forwards Neville Jetta Matthew Bate Liam Jurrah

Followers Paul Johnson Aaron Davey Colin Sylvia

Interchange Brock McLean Tom McNamara Russell Robertson Shane Valenti

Emergencies Mark Jamar Jordie McKenzie Jake Spencer

In Liam Jurrah Brock McLean Jared Rivers Russell Robertson

Out Rohan Bail (quad) Cameron Bruce (wrist) Michael Newton (Achilles) Jake Spencer

FREMANTLE

Backs Greg Broughton Chris Tarrant Jay van Berlo

Half backs Antoni Grover Luke McPharlin Paul Duffield

Centerline Garrick Ibbotson Paul Hasleby Chris Mayne

Half forwards Stephen Hill Matt de Boer Dean Solomon

Forwards Des Headland Matthew Pavlich Nic Suban

Followers Aaron Sandilands Steven Dodd David Mundy

Interchange (from) Kepler Bradley Marcus Drum Roger Hayden Brett Peake Clancee Pearce Byron Schammer Michael Walters

In Roger Hayden Luke McPharlin Michael Walters

... OR PURPLE

I've already alluded to the Demons' Melbourne's injury woes this season and in particular in the past month or so. The situation was highlighted last weekend when the club was able to field two players, one of them a rookie. Even allowing for an emergency for the Sunday fixture (Robbo) this left almost half the list idle and infirm on the sidelines. Compare that with Collingwood which fielded an extraordinary 22 listed players in its VFL team and you get an understanding of Melbourne's plight.

On the other hand, the Dockers who looked almost certain wooden spooners a month ago when they managed just the one goal in a humiliating performance against the Crows at AAMI Stadium, seem to be coming good in the latter stages of the season. This has a lot to do with the return of injured stars, most notably Pavlich and Sandilands but also the likes of Schammer, Haselby, Headland and Mayne as well as continued good form from their large crop of first year players like Hill, Broughton and co. They've won two out of their last three games and crushed top eight team Port Adelaide who had everything to play for but couldn't raise a sweat against the Dockers. The question mark over Freo however, still remains on whether it can perform away from Subiaco.

And the Purple Haze will remember with trepidation the events that unfolded when they last played Melbourne at this venue.

As for the Demons, what can I say? I can't even comment on the selected team because these days they actually pick three teams. The first is the list announced on Thursday night with its extended interchange bench. That's not really helpful because by Friday night, one player has usually succumbed to the onset of a sudden injury and has dropped out of the picture. When the game comes around on Sunday, it's another case of revolving doors and another player's withdrawn.Last week, Melbourne lost two key defenders in Matthew Warnock and Jared Rivers this way leaving the club with only one recognised key defender to contend with a trio of talls who proceeded to rip apart the Demon defence with eleven goals between them, opening the way for a runaway Kangaroo victory.

Melbourne's capacity to repeat this process for about the third or fourth week running is rather limited because of its injury situation. At the rate the Dees are going there may be no emergencies left meaning they'll have to run with the Kermit the Frog option.

For this reason, I don't think that Melbourne will reproduce last year's thrilling come from behind win against Freo. With or without Kermit, I'm tipping they will croak against the Dockers who will finish 12 points in front at the end of the day.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good read like always!

Im eager and PUMPED for a win this weekend!

I dont care if we got nothing to play for but pride! Pride means a bit and i have been starved of it for too long!

I want the red and blue to get a win on the board!

I want and hope all demon supporters on this forum will be attending the game! GO! Support the boys and give them a cheer to victory, give the boys some happiness and bit of hope that the supporters are still there through THICK AND THIN!

Jurrah playing should be a sole reason why people should make the effort to go to the ground!

COME ON DEES RIP THOSE PURPLE DOCKERS TO SHREDS!!!

Newton's out!! Yay!!

I'm hoping for the bench to read McNamara, Valenti, McLean, Spencer. Sorry to Jamar and McKenzie, but I thought Valenti played well last week, and I want Spencer to get as much game time as possible. I'd actually prefer Jamar to play instead of PJ, but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Edited by titan_uranus

If you can't get a game at Melbourne now I think you are in big trouble. Buckley you are in big trouble.

McLean and Jamar have been injured for a while so I can't why they shouldn't have a run at Casey.

Hopeful interchange : McNamara, McKenzie, Valenti, Spencer. P.J is still getting a game. What does he have to do to get dropped?

buckleys been injured all year. You cant just stick him strait into the side.

P.s congrats on shane savage to debut on friday night for the hawks, noble park boy mates with and played with his younger brother. Good luck shane

I was under the impression we were trying to win this! Against probably the only ruckman in the AFL who's a potential matchwinner, surely the only explanation for picking PJ as 1st ruck is that they're not 100% sure about Jamar's fitness.

In the same vein, Brock on the bench is also a bit odd, unless they're not sure about him playing out a whole game, in which case why name him at all?

And Robbo named last on a 7-man bench. This is the send-off????? :huh:

And they'd have to keep Valenti in the 22 after his game last week, wouldn't they? On the other hand, McNamara & McKenzie would be stiff to miss out too.

And does naming Dunn in the centre mean that he's got the job on Pav?

Despite these misgivings, this looks like our best team for weeks.

If you can't get a game at Melbourne now I think you are in big trouble. Buckley you are in big trouble.

Buckley has only played two games after injuries throughout the year so is still regaining his fitness, that's why he's playing at Casey....

Did anyone notice that Matt de Boer was named at CHF for the Shockers?? What tha?

Are the Freo selection committee taking the [censored]?? It looks a pretty solid team for them tbh. Roger Hayden and McPharlin are big inclusions for them if they come up. Tough afternoon at the office for us I suspect...

Pity Juice misses out. Was just on the verge of absolutely tearing a game apart imo.. ;)

Edited by Scully The Tank Engine

McLean and Jamar have been injured for a while so I can't why they shouldn't have a run at Casey.

Hopeful interchange : McNamara, McKenzie, Valenti, Spencer. P.J is still getting a game. What does he have to do to get dropped?

Hey Big C, I just noticed that Casey have a bye this week.

Very much looking forward to watching Jurrah again.

I know it's only been 2 weeks, but our forwardline over the past fortnight has made me feel physically ill. Bring back some class!

Michael Newton - Achilles?

Since when did achilles mean crap?

I couldn't help myself and had to laugh at that! :lol: