DEPTH for Melbournefc

H_T

I'm not so sure about that. I'm as certain as you are that Scully will be a star, but in his first year? He is very small. I dunno, maybe you're right.

He hasn't yet got the physique of Rich, but he's a better clearance player, is much faster, and has a far better engine. More importantly, we have just about the worst midfield I've ever seen. Scully won't be far off our best mid by round 1, despite the fact that his best years are a number of seasons away.

And I've no doubt he'll be better than Rich.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

My opening post you will note that the side was picked without Scully, Butcher, etc (WITHOUT DRAFTEES); because it's not certain as yet.

A good side nevertheless. Do you rate Meesen over Jamar?

I just hope he's better.

I'm also starting to lean toward the club taking Butcher but it's just a hunch. He's been forgotten lately after his poor champs. I think the FD still have a close eye on him and he's a Victorian kid which I reckon helps.

Scully is a gun so I don't see why he can't start in the middle and Trengrove is already well built. You know what you get with Moloney I would rather see what our gun recruits will do in the middle(if we get them). With rotations the way they are I don't see why it is a What the? How could you do that? situation.

IF we get both these players we will not start the season with those 2 in the middle. You cant be that daft? I would like to see it yes but they wont be thrown straight in there. They will get rotated through there but their game time in the middle of the groud will be less than our exp players and they both wont start in the middle. We shall see anyway.

Absolutely agree regarding stars - we need them badly.

But with the modern game and fast ball movement thru many hands it's also important not to have weak links. You need around 30 capable players. I see even Carlton isn't playing CJ (injured but just not good enough), Bentley or Wiggins.

From next year as Maric, Blease, Strauss and early picks from this year force their way into the team we're going to have players like Jones, Petterd, Wonna, Jetta, McKenzie and Spencer on the fringe of the best 22.

Spot on with all points.

We have always had "depth". Its not always been that good.

At this stage, my starting side for 2010: -

B: Cheney Warnock Rivers

HB: Garland Frawley Bennell

C: Green Sylvia Davey

HF: Bruce Morton Petterd

F: Bate Watts Jurrah

FOLL: Jamar Moloney Grimes

INT: Martin Jones Dunn McLean

The aspect I really like about this team is the potential for fantastic delivery into our forwardline from that midfield...with the exception of Moloney. Green and Davey are arguably the best kicks in our side, Grimes is no bunny and Sylvia can do it all. Add Scully and Trengove and you'll see our efficiency inside forward 50 sky rocket, as the delivery will be quick and accurate.

Edited by AdamFarr

The aspect I really like about this team is the potential for fantastic delivery into our forwardline from that midfield...with the exception of Moloney. Green and Davey are arguably the best kicks in our side, Grimes is no bunny and Sylvia can do it all. Add Scully and Trengove and you'll see our efficiency inside forward 50 sky rocket, as the delivery will be quick and accurate, allowing for better positions to kick from.

Yes very true, but the Half forward line is very important. A lot of sides break down here and if there is not much marking ability and presenting you wont have anyone to kick the ball to. Bruce, Morton and petterd is not the greatest HF line.

Edited by Mr Morton

Yes very true, but the Half forward line is very important. A lot of sides break down here and if there is not much marking ability and presenting you wont have anyone to kick the ball to. Bruce, Morton and petterd is not the greatest HF line.

True. I'd really like to see Bate play across half forward and even Watts and Jurrah on occasion.

True. I'd really like to see Bate play across half forward and even Watts and Jurrah on occasion.

Yerp, it would be dumb to play these players deep in the forward line. Bate needs to use his pace and we all know he can kick a long goal so I think he should always play a bit further out from goal.

IF we get both these players we will not start the season with those 2 in the middle. You cant be that daft? I would like to see it yes but they wont be thrown straight in there. They will get rotated through there but their game time in the middle of the groud will be less than our exp players and they both wont start in the middle. We shall see anyway.

Rich and Ziebell have why wouldn't Scully and Trengrove?

Rich and Ziebell have why wouldn't Scully and Trengrove?

I said both. You would not have two new players starting in the middle which would mean they are getting the majority of game time over say Moloney.

You will find Rich plays on the wing a fair bit. Zeibell does not start in the middle, he gets rotated through and does not get the majority of game time comapred to his exp team mates. Altough now Simpson is gone he might.

Why would they (if we get them) be getting the majority of game time over a Moloney if they started in the middle?

Well I was referring to BJGC's post (stick to the point of what I was saying). He chose his team that he wanted for 2010 and starting them on the field would mean majority of game time and preferance over Moloney who was on the wing. Any person would know you want Moloney's body in the middle and the 2 younsters on the wing for there first few games and probley the first half of the year. As I said, not both of them in there at once. Once again your question has nothing to do with what I was saying and what you asked originally.

The only club that will benefit from the MFC having good depth is the Casey Scorpions.

Having depth is such a misnomer.

Sure it's handy to have the 25th player on your list easily replace the 18th player but what was that 18th player doing that was so great?

Not a great deal.

Your better players, as Geelong are finding out, are impossible to replace.

Get stars and keep them fit.

That would be my advice.

My preferred 22 for round 1, with a fully fit squad to select from, and no new draftees (Scully etc):

B: Garland Warnock Cheney

HB: Rivers Frawley Bennell

C: Green Sylvia Grimes

HF: Jurrah Watts Petterd

F: Bate Martin# Wonaeamirri

FOLL: Jamar Moloney Davey

INT: Bruce McLean Strauss* Jones

Emergencies (in order): Spencer, Blease*, Jetta, Maric, Buckley, Dunn, McNamara, Johnson, McKenzie, Bartram, Miller, Meesen, Bell, Bail, Newton.

Retirees: Robertson, McDonald, Whelan, Wheatley

I haven't included Valenti, Hughes or Zomer, likely rookie-delists.

# - Martin playing forward / 2nd ruckman

* - Difficult to say with these two as we haven't seen them at AFL level yet, but given a full pre-season and a bit of muscle, both on pure talent could be best 22 come round 1. Blease has a long way to go physically, though if it were based on potential alone, he'd be in the side.

Have i missed anybody?

The aspect I really like about this team is the potential for fantastic delivery into our forwardline from that midfield...with the exception of Moloney. Green and Davey are arguably the best kicks in our side, Grimes is no bunny and Sylvia can do it all

Moloney's footskills, in particular short kicking, has improved tenfold this year. While he may not be an 'elite' kick, his delivery has not been of concern at all, opposed to other players sharing a similar role in Jones, McLean and Bruce. While i rate Green's kicking for goal, i've always thought his field passing was slightly overrated. This season i'd have said his disposal by foot has been no better or worse than Moloney's.

Edited by Doggo

I'll have a go at picking a team for Round 1.

B: Cheney Warnock Garland

HB: Frawley Rivers Bennell

C: Sylvia Davey Moloney

HF: Jurrah Watts Bruce

F: Bate Martin Wonaeamirri

Foll: Jamar Green Grimes

Int: Spencer Jetta McLean Petterd

Emg: Jones Maric Dunn

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone obvious.

I've got Jamar and Spencer as ruckmen, Martin as FF. I'm undecided on Martin. I think he might be good enough to play FF, but at the moment he's playing a lot in the ruck so it's hard to tell. I guess you could play Martin in the ruck, then drop Spencer for another runner. And I guess there's little between Spencer and Meesen.

No Strauss or Blease or McNamara (or Scully) because I don't know what they're like, though I have hopes that any of those 4 could be starting 22 next year.

McNamara and Bail selected today. Is that every player on the list that has played? Apart from Zomer? Depth continues....

Playing lots of your players does not equal having depth. Having depth means that you have players not in your current 22 who are capable enough of playing AFL level football.

Also, Hughes and Healey haven't played.

McNamara and Bail selected today. Is that every player on the list that has played? Apart from Zomer? Depth continues....

I think Zomer's a rookie, and if we include them a few are also still yet to play (Healey and Hughes).

These players haven't played this year (excluding pre-season games):

Blease

Strauss

Wonaeamirri

Zomer ®

Hughes ®

Healey ®

From this point onwards only one of Zomer, Healey and Hughes can be elevated, and Blease, Strauss and Aussie are all done for the year (with Healey listed as indefinite). So of the 6 left unplayed, Zomer and Hughes are the only ones who could possibly play now, and even then it can only be one of them.

Looking forward to seeing McNamara play tomorrow. Earlier in the year for Casey he impressed down back. Bailey mentioned before the season started how he wanted to see the second year players play some senior games. The likes of Cheney, Maric, Grimes have impressed, now finally we get to see McNamara in the red and blue.

Titan, I'm aware by playing nearly all of your list does not directly correlate to a list with depth. However, by doing what Bailey and Co. are doing its giving opportunity to many players, it may help a competitive list and give the younger players a taste at AFL and something to aspire to.

Moloney's footskills, in particular short kicking, has improved tenfold this year. While he may not be an 'elite' kick, his delivery has not been of concern at all, opposed to other players sharing a similar role in Jones, McLean and Bruce. While i rate Green's kicking for goal, i've always thought his field passing was slightly overrated. This season i'd have said his disposal by foot has been no better or worse than Moloney's.

The thing about Moloney this season, in comparison to others, is that to me, it seems he's actually playing smarter footy. It past seasons, he'd just bomb away, using his long kick to slam it 55, but to no one in particular. This year, he seems to have lowered his vision and instead of worrying about just kicking it longer, has sumed up the situation a little better. In other words, I'd agree he has improved, but like you say, he's not an elite deliverer of the ball and that's what we need a lot of, IMO.

Just on Zomer, I was suprised by his size and athleticism for Casey, today. He may still have a future.

To tell you the truth, I didn't watch much of it, but what I saw he seemed to be playing across half forward? Like I said, I didn't see a lot of it, so perhaps someone who watched it all could help out?