Debt Demolition Dinner.

Dees of 26

Went to the the debt demolition dinner last night and I know people will be interested so here goes.

Arriived at 6.30 and was taken to drinks outside the change rooms. Around 7.15 we were herded into the change rooms (Around 200 people including the full playing list) where Chris Connolly (master of ceremonies and did a great job) introduced 7 legends of the club who were sitting in front of change lockers. Each legend was numbered (old club numbers) and they were 2 - the Tulip, 3 - Gary Lyon, 9 - Neita, 11 - Greg Wells, 29 - Hassa Mann, 31 - Ronald Dale, 35 - Noel McMahon.. John Beckwith - 7 was also there but was crook and had to go home early. Barrassi made a speech about what the Dees meant to him. He talked about how hard it was to leave,how he changed his mind at least 3 times before he went to Carlton. He talked about his father and his life living with Norm Smith. 1 story that he felt captured how he feels and what a profound effect the club had on his life was on the morning of Norm Smiths 1st game as captain-coach of Fitzroy having transferred from the Dees the previous season.He told Barrassi to jump in the car to go and see Norms Mum.. After having seen her they were on the way home to go to the game when Norm pulled the car up and began to cry.....

We then were put into 7 groups and taken out on the ground. Chris Connolly then presented legends of the club including the Wiz and Woey. This is someways tells you how inclusive this club has become. Both spoke with real passion about there time at MFC and Woey inparticular was greeted with great warmth from everyone.

Then it was onto to dinner. We had great speeches from Don Mclardy, Stuart Grimshaw and a video from Jimmy who is recuperating in Thailand. By far the best speech was made by Gary Lyon... I hope someone videoed what he said about Jimmy because it was worth bottling... I won't do it justice but in essence he said that noone had given more of themselves than Jimmy. He said he went from being the worst footballer in the AFL to the best through sheer force of will. He also said that because he gave ALL of himself it made the task of asking for money easier because he had every right to.. It was unbelivably emotional and I now understand why Gary is such a great leader...

Came away thinking that this insitution has an enormous amount going for it because of the quality of people who love it..... Tearing up as I write.

On other matters after last year debt demo we saved $175,000 in interest expense and its very important we wipe the debt JUST to get ourselves on level playing field with the other clubs... Dig deep everyone.. Its worth fighting for...

Went to the the debt demolition dinner last night and I know people will be interested so here goes.

Arriived at 6.30 and was taken to drinks outside the change rooms. Around 7.15 we were herded into the change rooms (Around 200 people including the full playing list) where Chris Connolly (master of ceremonies and did a great job) introduced 7 legends of the club who were sitting in front of change lockers. Each legend was numbered (old club numbers) and they were 2 - the Tulip, 3 - Gary Lyon, 9 - Neita, 11 - Greg Wells, 29 - Hassa Mann, 31 - Ronald Dale, 35 - Noel McMahon.. John Beckwith - 7 was also there but was crook and had to go home early. Barrassi made a speech about what the Dees meant to him. He talked about how hard it was to leave,how he changed his mind at least 3 times before he went to Carlton. He talked about his father and his life living with Norm Smith. 1 story that he felt captured how he feels and what a profound effect the club had on his life was on the morning of Norm Smiths 1st game as captain-coach of Fitzroy having transferred from the Dees the previous season.He told Barrassi to jump in the car to go and see Norms Mum.. After having seen her they were on the way home to go to the game when Norm pulled the car up and began to cry.....

We then were put into 7 groups and taken out on the ground. Chris Connolly then presented legends of the club including the Wiz and Woey. This is someways tells you how inclusive this club has become. Both spoke with real passion about there time at MFC and Woey inparticular was greeted with great warmth from everyone.

Then it was onto to dinner. We had great speeches from Don Mclardy, Stuart Grimshaw and a video from Jimmy who is recuperating in Thailand. By far the best speech was made by Gary Lyon... I hope someone videoed what he said about Jimmy because it was worth bottling... I won't do it justice but in essence he said that noone had given more of themselves than Jimmy. He said he went from being the worst footballer in the AFL to the best through sheer force of will. He also said that because he gave ALL of himself it made the task of asking for money easier because he had every right to.. It was unbelivably emotional and I now understand why Gary is such a great leader...

Came away thinking that this insitution has an enormous amount going for it because of the quality of people who love it..... Tearing up as I write.

On other matters after last year debt demo we saved $175,000 in interest expense and its very important we wipe the debt JUST to get ourselves on level playing field with the other clubs... Dig deep everyone.. Its worth fighting for...

Thanks so much for that mate!

I know ill be trying to contribute what i can during the month, i am not at all in a financial position to contribute in a major way but every bit helps and everyone who reads this forum should think the same way no matter what position you are in, give what you can during the month! Even put money aside each day or week and make the contribution near the end of the month.

Come on people, lets make this burden vanish for good and make sure our future off-field is as bright as some of the young guns on-field!

GO DEES

Fantastic to hear that both Farmer and Woewoedin were there.

Something I would've never expected, but it warms my heart and fills me with pride.

Garry is a fantastic leader and I think he's wasted in the media.

Time may tell...

Yeah fantastic read dees of 26.....just 1 question who was no.2 The Tulip??

Robert Flower.. Caro and Mike Sheahan also there so hopefully something positive came out of them...

Thanks so much for that mate!

I know ill be trying to contribute what i can during the month, i am not at all in a financial position to contribute in a major way but every bit helps and everyone who reads this forum should think the same way no matter what position you are in, give what you can during the month! Even put money aside each day or week and make the contribution near the end of the month.

Come on people, lets make this burden vanish for good and make sure our future off-field is as bright as some of the young guns on-field!

GO DEES

we are all this together. every contribution is important. its a buy in for the clubs future..

Thanks for the inside perspective there Do26.

I donated on the DD site the other night but might just have to do it again after that read. :)

To be debt free could change the whole psyche of the club. We are being very positive and moving forward but there couldn't be any better signal of progress than getting the debt monkey off our back - although a flag would (will) be good too.

Edited by 1858

did no see him but Martin Flanagan was..

Dees of 26. Three questions.

1. How did you (a) know about and (B) get invited to the function? Dont recall it being publicised.

2. Did they say whether the MFC's is trading profitably in 2009?

3. What did they say the current amount of debt of MFC is?

In regard to the debt it is very disappointing to see such a wide discrepancy in the reports of the event last night. On MFC website its say the debt is "now below $1.2m"; an email sent to me by the MFC this morning says"less than $2million left to demolish" and the Age article says the club "had debtsof $3.8m at the end of last seaon".

Very confusing and potentially misleading.

Given the performances this year, including the Sunday night twilight game against Adelaide at the G, there is no way the MFC would be making a $1m plus profit this year??? :wacko:

Many thanks for the great summary D26, you certainly captured a lot of the emotion! I love our footy club, and will be digging as deep as I can.

Thanks for the run through Dees of 26.....

Some of us can never get to these things and it mans a lot that you take the time to fill us in.

It sounded like a great evening and I'm thrilled with your assessment.

Thanks again :) !!!

Dees of 26. Three questions.

1. How did you (a) know about and (B) get invited to the function? Dont recall it being publicised.

2. Did they say whether the MFC's is trading profitably in 2009?

3. What did they say the current amount of debt of MFC is?

In regard to the debt it is very disappointing to see such a wide discrepancy in the reports of the event last night. On MFC website its say the debt is "now below $1.2m"; an email sent to me by the MFC this morning says"less than $2million left to demolish" and the Age article says the club "had debtsof $3.8m at the end of last seaon".

Very confusing and potentially misleading.

Given the performances this year, including the Sunday night twilight game against Adelaide at the G, there is no way the MFC would be making a $1m plus profit this year??? :wacko:

Mate,

1. Got asked by a guy who went last year and said yes.. FYI to go as a Newbie you had to put in $5000

2. Did not pick up on the trading profitably bit but because of the increase in membership the cash pos is better than last year

3. On the debt side it was at $1.9mln as of last night and is closer to $1.1mln now.. The club is looking to raise at least $1mln and I reckon they will have another go next year.. It was a great night..

Mate,

1. Got asked by a guy who went last year and said yes.. FYI to go as a Newbie you had to put in $5000

2. Did not pick up on the trading profitably bit but because of the increase in membership the cash pos is better than last year

3. On the debt side it was at $1.9mln as of last night and is closer to $1.1mln now.. The club is looking to raise at least $1mln and I reckon they will have another go next year.. It was a great night..

AND the eintre debt could be wiped if the improved MCG and Etihad deals are finalized, because they will be paid retrospectively...

Thanks for that Fantastic Summary D26, what a great night. Wish i had a spare 5K so as to be invited.

Awesome to know the Wiz & Woey were both there, & considered club legends. I wonder if deep down Jeff Farmer wishes he had stayed a one club man-i know he had family commitments, but still. I loved the Wiz when he was "on"

This club is so getting it's act together, Proud to Be a Demon i am.

Let's not only wipe the debt, Let's put the club strongly in Profit. This Dinner should be an annual event.

Thanks for that Fantastic Summary D26, what a great night. Wish i had a spare 5K so as to be invited.

Awesome to know the Wiz & Woey were both there, & considered club legends. I wonder if deep down Jeff Farmer wishes he had stayed a one club man-i know he had family commitments, but still. I loved the Wiz when he was "on"

This club is so getting it's act together, Proud to Be a Demon i am.

Let's not only wipe the debt, Let's put the club strongly in Profit. This Dinner should be an annual event.

thankyou.

Caro said on the weekend that Gary's speech was equal to the best speech she had heard in football.

I thought she qualified it by saying the best she had ever heard Lyon make, but a colleague disagreed.

Even if it was(just) the best ever from Lyon, it must have been truely moving.

I would expect she will mention it on tonights Classified.

A great read D26, and great men, in short it's why we've remained as passionate and loyal as we have. Go Dees.

A great read D26, and great men, in short it's why we've remained as passionate and loyal as we have. Go Dees.

looks to be slowing a bit...