Ricky Petterd

I just want to get your thoughts on him, he has been in the two's now for a few weeks, has his career stalled? is he in DB's that future plans?

i believe that he should be used across half back not up forward as he was tried in the earlier rounds, but he is not a forwards ar$e hole,

DB hast to play him across half back.... your thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced. Is there room for him on the HB-line? We seem to have a few guys putting their hands up to play there, like Grimes, Bennell, Strauss, etc.

Could Petterd make it as a tagger?

What would people take at the trade table?

He's such a strong mark for his size, that DB just had to try him out as a forward. Played a blinder in round 1, but his inexperience as a forward was clearly evident in the few matches after. Agree that HB/Wing seems his natural position, but because his disposal is a mixed bag, and he's not the quickest player, guys like Bennell, Grimes and Cheney are all ahead of him in that role. Not sure what his engine is like, but if it's pretty good, a run as a tagger might be the way to go for his further development.

Think he has a lot to offer in the future, but in what role, i'm not 100% sure yet. As much as i like him, i'd be open to do a trade to the GC for anything under pick 30 at this stage. I think it's fair to say he has stalled somewhat, and is probably capable of more than he has shown this year.

Petterd reminds me of Andrew Mackie for the Cats. Although he may not have the running capabilities, he certainly makes up for it with his marking and attack on the ball. He could set up well for players like Bennell and Davey running off the half backline.

I wouldn't say Petterd is slow. I think he should be played there, especially if Grimes starts playing in the midfield.

I think he has a spot in our future.

Petterd is in my top 10 must keeps. Maybe even top 5 when you consider ages of players and upside.

The kid has everything it takes, and was just down on form. No different from any player currently gracing (for lack of a better term) the side at the moment.

When he comes back in, collects 25+ possessions which we know he can, kicks a couple... we'll see his worth. WAY too early to say "career stalled." That's the kind of thing you say at the 5-7+ year mark of a players career.

Send to him to the Gold Coast, so they keep their grubby hands off your Mortons and Sylvia's etc...

We're going to lose one player to the GC so I hope it's either Petterd or Miller - both QLD boys. I'd hate to give up any of our 18-21 year olds like Morton, Grimes, Maric, or even Sylvia who's in career best form.

Petterd is in my top 10 must keeps. Maybe even top 5 when you consider ages of players and upside.

The kid has everything it takes, and was just down on form. No different from any player currently gracing (for lack of a better term) the side at the moment.

When he comes back in, collects 25+ possessions which we know he can, kicks a couple... we'll see his worth. WAY too early to say "career stalled." That's the kind of thing you say at the 5-7+ year mark of a players career.

His disposal is questionable and that is no different from many in the side. However his upside is limited if he cannot address that. Its a pity because he does get his hands on the ball. However he too often makes a meal of its use.

I would not be averse to considering a good deal for him if one was presented and MFC thought they could use the pick profitably. Otherwise keep and see if he can improve.

We're going to lose one player to the GC so I hope it's either Petterd or Miller - both QLD boys.

GC will chase Victorian based footballers that will actually make valuable contributions to their list and playing performance. Two borderline players in a bottom team aint what they would be targeting. And whether they grew up in Qld or not is about as relevant as whether they barracked for GC as a kid.! If they were just targetting Qld players to come home they should be joining up with the local St Vincent de Paul to orchestrate meaningful family reunion programs.

GC will chase Victorian based footballers that will actually make valuable contributions to their list and playing performance. Two borderline players in a bottom team aint what they would be targeting. And whether they grew up in Qld or not is about as relevant as whether they barracked for GC as a kid.! If they were just targetting Qld players to come home they should be joining up with the local St Vincent de Paul to orchestrate meaningful family reunion programs.

You, and GC17, may think that but with the inability to give contracts until October 2010 there will not be as many OOC, and therefore, as much talent as they would like.

And I believe Petterd to be a very good prospect. Broke out in his first season on a HBF and has been tried everywhere since. Kicking hasn't been great this year, but I think he has got better in him. Put him in the midfield.

I fear he'll be anther player that tears it up at VFL level but will struggle to transition to AFL level. That said, it is not as if he's been drowning in opportunity.

Question: Is it possible to 'trade' pre-season draft picks from a year to year basis with National Draft picks?

ie. If Melbourne wanted to trade to Gold Coast their Pre Season Draft (2009) pick to GC with a player for a 2010 National Draft pick (one of GC's)?

Just a thought. :lol:

An example only:

ie. No.1 Pre-season Draft pick (2009) & R.Petterd for 2010 ND pick from GC17 (ie. No.6 pick in ND).

Question: Is it possible to 'trade' pre-season draft picks from a year to year basis with National Draft picks?

ie. If Melbourne wanted to trade to Gold Coast their Pre Season Draft (2009) pick to GC with a player for a 2010 National Draft pick (one of GC's)?

Just a thought. :lol:

An example only:

ie. No.1 Pre-season Draft pick (2009) & R.Petterd for 2010 ND pick from GC17 (ie. No.6 pick in ND).

Firstly, I don't think draft picks from different years are tradable. I think only draft picks from the one draft can be traded.

Secondly, why would we want to trade pick 1 away for pick 6? And we lose Petterd in the process? Sounds ridiculous HT.

Firstly, I don't think draft picks from different years are tradable. I think only draft picks from the one draft can be traded.

Secondly, why would we want to trade pick 1 away for pick 6? And we lose Petterd in the process? Sounds ridiculous HT.

I know it sounds ridiculous, as it was only an example. Isn't the early ND picks more valuable than the Pre Season Draft picks anyway?

I thought there was some talk of trading picks between clubs in different years, might be a load of hogwash......that's why I asked the question to see if anyone had heard anything.

Only ND picks can be traded in the trade week directly preceding them, ie. they can only be traded in the same year that they are used.

PSD picks cannot be traded.

This isn't the NBA, although it may soon become that...

I know it sounds ridiculous, as it was only an example. Isn't the early ND picks more valuable than the Pre Season Draft picks anyway?

I thought there was some talk of trading picks between clubs in different years, might be a load of hogwash......that's why I asked the question to see if anyone had heard anything.

Oh wait, I thought you meant Pick 1 in the ND, not the PSD... :unsure:

In that case, that's not as ridiculous an idea as it sounds. Unless there's another Liam Jurrah-type player who doesn't nominate for the ND.

You, and GC17, may think that but with the inability to give contracts until October 2010 there will not be as many OOC, and therefore, as much talent as they would like.

The point is that I dont think they will limit themselves to Qld players. They will be chasing the best players from anywhere.

Neither Petterd or Miller would be high on their list based on football ability.

I fear he'll be anther player that tears it up at VFL level but will struggle to transition to AFL level. That said, it is not as if he's been drowning in opportunity.

Possibly right with that. Hopefully he will make his own opportunity by his performances at Casey.

Clint, I think he does some things well, but his disposal can be unreliable, he isn't that tall, that quick or that tough - he's a bit of all but very good at none.

This is the year where all our players need to be tried out in all different positions, Petterd will get more opportunities. We still have 10 weeks of trialling to go.

I like Ricky- i want him to succedd-

Reminds me a little of "Stinga" when he runs Flat out.

Keep Trying Ricky.....

Petterd is a class player, this was evident after his first game. I'm just disappointed that he wasn't given a chance in the backline or on a wing earlier this year as it was clear that he would struggle up forward.
He has been given some game time down back this year.

ok, once again ricky has disappointed me this week. What is going on with him? The reason it frustrates me so much is because I know how good of a player he can be, I just dont know why he is struggling? I have always been a fan of his kicking and we need that atm more than anything but does he still have a place in our team? Personally I think Strauss might put him in danger.

Hope he proves me wrong.

I was interested in the suggestion of using him as a tagger. I don't know if he has the running power yet though. And there's the warning offered by Dunn's move to midfield tagger after a stint as a forward.

But in genral, I like Petterd and certailny wouldn't consider move him on until he's had at least another pre-season and season into him.

I was interested in the suggestion of using him as a tagger. I don't know if he has the running power yet though. And there's the warning offered by Dunn's move to midfield tagger after a stint as a forward.

But in genral, I like Petterd and certailny wouldn't consider move him on until he's had at least another pre-season and season into him.

I disagree ricky has a very good engine. Have they tried him as a tagger already?

I can only see him in one spot, Backline.