Good Ol' Boys

dee-luded

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Connolly:

"Brock McLean did no speed training over summer because of his injury and hasn't done a pre-season in two years. He will play very good football again next year.

Chris Connolly:

"And Brock McLean is still evolving his own game and has been playing with his heart."

Now can we stop suggesting that we get rid of him?! <_<

Now can we stop suggesting that we get rid of him?! <_<

No way - the game's become so much quicker since last year, when he was a leading contender for our 2008 best and fairest and then got injured!

Ahem.

I figured I'd save Rhino Richards from adding to his impressive post count ;)

No way - the game's become so much quicker since he was my pick for the 2008 best and fairest contender (before injury robbed him of that opportunity)!

Ahem.

I figured I'd save Rhino Richards from adding to his impressive post count.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm staggered by the constant suggestions that the game has all of a sudden, in the space of one year, become too quick for McLean, or that he has all of a sudden, in the space of a year, become too slow.

Not doing a pre-season two years in a row due to injuries, and still managing to lead the club in clearances, is pretty bloody impressive.

I love that Connolly says that he is playing from his heart, because clearly he is not fit.

Lets wait for the likes of Morton, Grimes, Blease (and Scully :P) to start playing midfield roles, thus removing the hard tag from McLean and letting him do what he does best, which is win the ball.

In a [censored] midfield with no support, it is very hard to excel when your main talents lie in getting the ball. Put Sam Mitchel in a Melbourne jumper and watch him struggle.

Hello posters,

Several months ago I referred to the fact that as the result of my link to, and knowledge of the club that Brent Moloney and Brock Mclean were both playing under duress this season. Please read below a quoted line from CC our football manager, who incidentally told me of these injuries at a local football game in the country.

"Brock McLean did no speed training over summer because of his injury and hasn't done a pre-season in two years. He will play very good football again next year".

Now based on this information provided by Chris himself in a recent article published in the Adelaide times and kindly contributed for view/criticism from the lovely folk over at Demonology could we please consider the following with regard to player bashing on this site.

I understand that the majority of posters on Demonland are not privy to the position I and indeed some others are in that we have at times a close link to the club. Therefore when contributers such as this share their knowledge about the club it would be really pleasant if others cease to blabber and heed to. If you do not have any knowledge apart from the footy record and local papers into the internal machinations of the football club please refrain from critique of opinion of this sort.

I will again for the people who missed the last post reiterate its contents:

During the match I saw Brent Moloney grab at his hamstring and he may not play this week. was the original quote. Well actually Brent did play which was remarkable seeing that 2 days before the match he was still icing his hamstring and had done no running. NOW Brent Moloney is still carrying this hamstring injury, is still having it managed by the club fitness staff, and still may miss a match to get the injury right.

To quantify a statement by a fellow posters previously regarding the physical output of Brock Mclean

Brock Mclean looks like he is running in sand

This is the case because he has been carrying an injury all season, however for the betterment of the club and because he is reportedly as stubborn as an Ox Brock has been pushing through with pain killing injections. The reason he cant run is that he is physically spent and has no physical exertion left to give.

This is by no means a criticism, chide or even as one other poster has attributed to me in the past a belittlement of others posters. Rather it is information which needs to be considered by every posters who uses this site . For conformation of an injury please look further than the papers, have a look out on the ground. Really if you were injured would you report it to Geeks like Huchison or Sheehan I think not. Just remember that players play under considerable duress week in and week out and to be critical without qualification or knowledge is to be a little premature. The fact that people were asking for Mclean to be traded makes me sick really.

Thanks.

Thanks.

No worries.

Couldn't you have just said 'stop bagging injured players'?

Beamer will never be injury free, and we all know Brock is behind the '8-ball' so I sympathise with where you are coming from.

However, people can say what they like, doesn't mean that 75% of the posters on this site won't jump down their throat.

As a 'throat-jumper' I will defend Brock and Brent (although point out they need to kick straighter), and all the others, but posters can say whatever inane things they want to.

Hello posters,

(self-indulgence)

Thanks.

Would you like a gold star? A pat on the back?

It doesn't take a genius to use their eyes and work out that Brock's been carrying an injury all season. He can't run at pace and he's struggled to kick more than 35m.

I have no reason to doubt your claim that you have access to inside information - good get re: Moloney - and I thank you for sharing it.

But a long-winded, self-indulgent "I told you so" rant such as the one above endears you to no one. Share information by all means if you want, but don't expect to become a hero for doing so.

I'd actually rather not get the "inside scoop" if it means I'm subjected to the self-righteous twaddle you posted above.

Get off your fu%&ing high horse.

Sites such as this are made for imbeciles to endlessly speculate based on drip fed tidbits of information.

If you're expecting more, then you're stupider than they are.

Self-indulgent [censored] desperately trying to sound more privy than he is in reality.

Hello posters,

Two things, Genius.

1. Every club has players playing that are carrying/managing injuries.

2. Once you cross that white line I'll judge you accordingly.

Thanks

Agree H.

Sorry Rogue. :( B)

He is absolutely right.

When you are on the field you are 100%, and this applies to Brock too.

Having said that, I don't think that Brock has used his injuries as an excuse to not put in the effort, or get his hands on the ball. But a lack of pre-season and carrying injuries means that he is physically not able to exert himself anymore than he does, which makes him look slower.

It is therefore very harsh to suggest that we should get rid of him (our best young leader, multiple high-finisher in our B&F, leading clearance winner etc etc) because suddenly he has become too slow, or has lost his ability to kick.

For a while now I thought that he must be getting injections in his foot, explaining why perhaps some of his kicks don't connect properly. This is not something he can physically change until he gets better. I remember Green having the same issue a couple of years ago and we all wondered what the hell happened to his ability to kick.

McLean has not lost his talent, and is certainly not out on the ground being lazy and using his injuries as an excuse. He is doing his best within the limitations of his body, which is a pretty brave effort. Then again, what do you expect from a guy who played, and dominated, half a match with a broken foot to help us win?!

I know that the talent that helped us win a final, at the ripe old age of 21, is still very much there. To judge him based on an injury-ravaged season, while ignoring all other facts, just seems like prematurely announcing time of death. The man can play, we all know that.

Two things, Genius.

1. Every club has players playing that are carrying/managing injuries.

2. Once you cross that white line I'll judge you accordingly.

Thanks

This is the conundeum really. Whilst you might respect the efforts..( selfless or otherwise ) of players for what are varying reasons it all boils down to results.

Its a usiness..the business of winning and in particular the only realy measure is premierships. We are entitled to judge temas, indeed its players coaching and others accordingly. They play..we watch..its kinda simple. They play poorly or not up to expectations ( real or hyped ) and the measure is rought out and reviewed.

For all anyones postulating and grandstanding... you play poorly because of injury...hey ..you still played poorly !! Reasons and excuses are just that. They dont change the result. They mitigate but dont change.

AS Hannabal and others would suggest..you cross that line you are playing for keeps.

Maybe its a little wiser NOT to play and get seriously fit and THEN play your heart out..that'd be more inteligent a thing for mine

On a side note, I can't believe the amount of media coverage we've had this morning. We're all over both papers. Back page of the HUN, front page of The Age sport section. 2 or 3 articles in both papers. I guess that's what happens when you play on a Friday night.

Careful DD youv'e got RR, H and Jaded all having a crack.(All in agreement of course) Remember to be careful when posting the truth it often gets in the way of a good post.

By the way we can only judge players on the form they produce. On form Brock is close to finished. That doesn't mean he is, it means if his form line doesn't change the kids will overrun him, literally.

This is the conundeum really. Whilst you might respect the efforts..( selfless or otherwise ) of players for what are varying reasons it all boils down to results.

If results is what you are after....

In season 2009, hampered by injuries, McLean is:

1st in clearances

6th in disposals

6th in assists

3rd in kicks

3rd in contested possessions

6th in inside 50's

1st in tackles

Effort and results.

In season 2009, hampered by injuries, McLean is:

1st in clearances

6th in disposals

6th in assists

3rd in kicks

3rd in contested possessions

6th in inside 50's

1st in tackles

Effort and results.

There aren't many (if any) who are questioning his effort, Jaded. It's what he does with the ball that matters.

Careful DD youv'e got RR, H and Jaded all having a crack.(All in agreement of course) Remember to be careful when posting the truth it often gets in the way of a good post.

By the way we can only judge players on the form they produce. On form Brock is close to finished. That doesn't mean he is, it means if his form line doesn't change the kids will overrun him, literally.

Look mate I could not give a rats ass if they have a crack at me for straightening out some of the misconception on this site about particular players. In the coming weeks I intend to post a few more home truths. So in the interim if they feel like being negative go right ahead. I have continually said that CC and DB have a great plan for the club going forward. It particularly amuses me when I watch dean at his press conference every week field questions from the media with a smirk on his face with aplomb. He knows what he is doing mate, make you mistake about it.

Look mate I could not give a rats ass if they have a crack at me for straightening out some of the misconception on this site about particular players. In the coming weeks I intend to post a few more home truths. So in the interim if they feel like being negative go right ahead. I have continually said that CC and DB have a great plan for the club going forward. It particularly amuses me when I watch dean at his press conference every week field questions from the media with a smirk on his face with aplomb. He knows what he is doing mate, make you mistake about it.

DooooooooDE! Take it easy.

There aren't many (if any) who are questioning his effort, Jaded. It's what he does with the ball that matters.

I agree that his disposal is down on effectiveness, but if you believe that he is getting injections in the foot, that could explain a lot.

Disposal does not decline in the space of 12 months when you are 23, without a good reason.

I agree that his disposal is down on effectiveness, but if you believe that he is getting injections in the foot, that could explain a lot.

Disposal does not decline in the space of 12 months when you are 23, without a good reason.

Why play him?

On a side note, I can't believe the amount of media coverage we've had this morning. We're all over both papers. Back page of the HUN, front page of The Age sport section. 2 or 3 articles in both papers. I guess that's what happens when you play on a Friday night.

I thought very much the same. We're spoilt today in coverage. Love the AGE. Great articles there....isn't that right Rogue ;)

Also DangerousDemon, be careful in accusing posters who have bagged players such as Sylvia who haven't bagged them. :)

Look mate I could not give a rats ass if they have a crack at me for straightening out some of the misconception on this site about particular players. In the coming weeks I intend to post a few more home truths.

Just make sure you get your facts right before you do post a few home truths next time!

Perhaps it was the sanctimonious nature of your post that caused some angst. Fwiw, I'm not doubting some of what you say, but professional footballers understand the gig.

It's all about that white line.

Well if he is getting injections each week, you have to begin asking whether he should be playing, especially since this is a season that is long gone. If he doesn't hit his straps over the next few weeks, some 'list management' could see him sent off for surgery or rested or whatever. Better that then aggravating his injury.