2010 - draft

Guest sticksmorton

Guest sticksmorton

Okay just out of curiosity what happens in the 2010 draft with priority picks.

Firstly, let me clear the air and say I am not preying that Melbourne will assumingly bottom out again in 2010 season. I'm not Hoping that we will win less than four games in the entire season for the third consecutive year in a row therefore qualify for a priority pick. I know that, the GC team will have picks one, two, three, five, seven, nine, 11, 13 and 15 in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft. But what happens if, hypothetically speaking, Melbourne or Richmond qualify for the priority picks, does that mean the GC will miss out on the picks 1 and 2 ect, and the order of the early draft picks that the GC would have received will just move down the order. Or does Melbourne with priority picks get will be picks 4 and 6 assuming Richmond doesn’t get any. Or are the priority picks for that year scrapped altogether. I was too young to remember the concessions given to Fremantle or Port Adelaide when they entered the competition but I would like to compare the two.

By the way don’t think of this thread as a debate on me wanting to find out whether Melbourne can get picks 1 and 2 so I can put them into my future team and marvel at all the early draft picks and younger player in my team like some of the Butcher/Scully inclusions I have seen on other threads. I just simply want to know what will happen.

Okay just out of curiosity what happens in the 2010 draft with priority picks.

Firstly, let me clear the air and say I am not preying that Melbourne will assumingly bottom out again in 2010 season. Hoping that we will win less than four games in the entire season for the third consecutive year in a row therefore qualify for a priority pick. I know that, the GC team will have picks one, two, three, five, seven, nine, 11, 13 and 15 in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft. But what happens if, hypothetically speaking, Melbourne or Richmond qualify for the priority picks, does that mean the GC will miss out on the picks 1 and 2 ect, and the order of the early draft picks that the GC would have received will just move down the order. Or does Melbourne with priority picks get will be picks 4 and 6 assuming Richmond doesn’t get any. Or are the priority picks for that year scrapped altogether. I was too young to remember the concessions given to Fremantle or Port Adelaide when they entered the competition but I would like to compare the two.

You can't be serious?!?!?!?!?!

Have you not felt enough pain?!?!?!?!

I am sick of losing..... Let's win some F%^#ing games next year!!!!

Winning culture = Happy Players = Happy Members = Happy Bank Account = Some F'ing Respect!!!!

Guest sticksmorton

that was a typo it was meant to say

I'm not*****

I'm sure it would make the rest of what i wrote make better sense

Guest sticksmorton

By the way I didn’t want this to become a debate over winning and losing games.

It was a hypothetical scenario that I was curious about.

A one post reply will be fine.

For me this is the last year i will be worrying about draft pics, this and last year i have to say the one of bigger things i have been looking forward to the past two years is the draft.

As of next year its winning and nothing more!

By the way I didn’t want this to become a debate over winning and losing games.

I was a hypothetical scenario that I was curious about.

A one post reply will be fine.

oh yep my post probly didnt help that.

Guest sticksmorton
For me this is the last year i will be worrying about draft pics, this and last year i have to say the one of bigger things i have been looking forward to the past two years is the draft.

As of next year its winning and nothing more!

Not the point of this thread, can someone just answer my question. Cheers!

THE ENTRY Rules for GC17 into the AFL are as follows:

1. 2009 NAB AFL Draft:

GC17 to have the capacity to sign 12 x 17 year-olds born in the January – April window (Jan-April 1992).

2. 2010 NAB AFL Draft:

GC17 to have Pick One in Each Round.

GC 17 to have Picks 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 in Round One.

3. 2009 NAB Rookie Draft:

GC17 to have Selections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

4. 2010 NAB Rookie Draft

GC17 to alternate Queensland priority selections with Brisbane Lions. GC17 to have first selection.

5. Zoned Access

GC17 to have zoned access to up to five Queensland players prior to each of 2010, 2011 and 2012 NAB AFL Drafts.

GC17 to have zoned access to up to three Northern Territory player prior to the 2010 NAB AFL Draft

6. 2010 Post Season, AFL Listed Played Access

GC17 to have capacity to pre-list 10 players who had previously nominated for the AFL Draft, or were previously listed with an AFL club.

GC17 to have capacity to sign up to 16 uncontracted players.

GC17 will so have an expanded list size and TPP (Total Player Payment) allowance in the club’s initial four years from 2011 to 2014, which would be as follows:

2011 – 48 senior list, nine rookies with $1m TPP extra allowance;

2012 – 46 senior list, nine rookies with $800k TPP extra allowance;

2013 – 42 senior list, nine rookies with $600k TPP extra allowance;

2014 – 40 senior list, nine rookies with $400k TPP extra allowance;

2015 – 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

2010 NAB AFL Draft: (Example Draft Order before trading)

Round One

1 GC17

2 GC17

3 GC17

4 Club 16 on 2010 ladder

5 GC17

6 Club 15 on 2010 ladder

7 GC17

8 Club 14 on 2010 ladder

9 GC17

10 Club 13 on 2010 ladder

11 GC17

12 Club 12 on 2010 ladder

13 GC17

14 Club 11 on 2010 ladder

15 GC17

16 Club 10 on 2010 ladder

17 Club 9 on 2010 ladder

18 Club 8 on 2010 ladder

19 Club 7 on 2010 ladder

20 Club 6 on 2010 ladder

21 Club 5 on 2010 ladder

22 Club 4 on 2010 ladder

23 Club 3 on 2010 ladder

24 Club 2 on 2010 ladder

25 Club 1 on 2010 ladder

Round Two

26 GC17

27 Club 16 on 2010 ladder

28 Club 15 on 2010 ladder

29 Club 14 on 2010 ladder

30 Club 13 on 2010 ladder

31 Club 12 on 2010 ladder

32 Club 11 on 2010 ladder

33 Club 10 on 2010 ladder

34 Club 9 on 2010 ladder

35 Club 8 on 2010 ladder

36 Club 7 on 2010 ladder

37 Club 6 on 2010 ladder

38 Club 5 on 2010 ladder

39 Club 4 on 2010 ladder

40 Club 3 on 2010 ladder

41 Club 2 on 2010 ladder

42 Club 1 on 2010 ladder

Round Three

43 GC 17

44 Club 16 on 2010 ladder

45 Club 15 on 2010 ladder

46 Club 14 on 2010 ladder

47 Club 13 on 2010 ladder

48 Club 12 on 2010 ladder

49 Club 11 on 2010 ladder

50 Club 10 on 2010 ladder

51 Club 9 on 2010 ladder

52 Club 8 on 2010 ladder

53 Club 7 on 2010 ladder

54 Club 6 on 2010 ladder

55 Club 5 on 2010 ladder

56 Club 4 on 2010 ladder

57 Club 3 on 2010 ladder

58 Club 2 on 2010 ladder

59 Club 1 on 2010 ladder

* No Priority Picks for Melbourne or Anyone else in 2010 (even if we win 1 game)

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Winning culture = Happy Players = Happy Members = Happy Bank Account = Some F'ing Respect!!!!

Not much more I can add to that. I think we are good enough to avoid the priority this year (whether we do or not is a different story) and we won't be celler dwellers next year. Some of the kids coming through will start making their mark ala Morton next year.

As the detailed explanation above shows, the draft coming up at the end of this season is the last untouched draft, so if we want draft picks then this is a good year to get them!

Am I the only one who thinks that those concessions in 2010 are just way too ridiculously generous? Seven top-11 picks... Say that the '10 draft is the same strength as the 2001 draft, GC17 would get the equivalent of:

Luke Hodge

Luke Ball

Chris Judd

Just with their first three... then they've got six more (albeit extended) first-rounders.

THE ENTRY Rules for GC17 into the AFL are as follows...

No Priority Picks for Melbourne or Anyone else in 2010 (even if we win 1 game)

Jesus. I already knew the setup with the Gold Coasts draft concessions, but it really is amazing when you actually look at the layout, isn't it. There's going to be nothing left for anybody.

We've really dodged a bullet here. We're coming out of a three-year rebuilding period at exactly the right time; if we'd started bottoming out in 08 instead of 07 this thing would have been devastating, and if we'd bottomed out last year or (perish the thought) this year? Forgot about it. I'd hate to be a mid-ranked team on the decline. In fact at this stage, I'm not sure I'd want to be anyone except Carlton and Melbourne (who'll have both well and truly finished rebuilding by the 2010 draft, and might actually benefit from this situation in the short term) or Geelong, Hawthorn and maybe St Kilda (who won't be rebuilding that soon). If I supported anyone else I'd be worried about this, particularly the North Melbournes and Richmonds of the world.

Jesus. I already knew the setup with the Gold Coasts draft concessions, but it really is amazing when you actually look at the layout, isn't it. There's going to be nothing left for anybody.

We've really dodged a bullet here. We're coming out of a three-year rebuilding period at exactly the right time; if we'd started bottoming out in 08 instead of 07 this thing would have been devastating, and if we'd bottomed out last year or (perish the thought) this year? Forgot about it. I'd hate to be a mid-ranked team on the decline. In fact at this stage, I'm not sure I'd want to be anyone except Carlton and Melbourne (who'll have both well and truly finished rebuilding by the 2010 draft, and might actually benefit from this situation in the short term) or Geelong, Hawthorn and maybe St Kilda (who won't be rebuilding that soon). If I supported anyone else I'd be worried about this, particularly the North Melbournes and Richmonds of the world.

Collingwood are ****ed

:):):)

West Coast and Freo will do ok too, they've taken a lot of good young kids the last couple of years -- they'll be our main competitors when we start the climb

Anybody else think that KrazyJay's post should be stickied at the top of Demonland to remove all confusion re: GC17?

Abso-effing-lutely, so bloody frustrating posting the same thing every three weeks.

Absolutely Superb Timing from the Demons. I fear the AFL is losing the plot. These concessions are just to much.

The 2015 Grand Final Gold Coast Raiders v West Sydney Drifters

This Saturday ANZ Stadium Hindmarsh.

The AFL would love this scenario.

Are you serious this is our last chance ever to get what we can out of this draft yet doubt we will win less than 4 games

Anybody else think that KrazyJay's post should be stickied at the top of Demonland to remove all confusion re: GC17?

Maybe sticky a big thread with that post as the first one. We can all just refer the confused to it. It'll only get worse leading up to the 2010 draft.

Back on topic, I didn't realise there wouldn't be PPs in 2010. I think we'll struggle to win less than 5 this year, let alone in 2010. Something would have to go horribly, horribly wrong for that to happen.

Does anyone know what happens in 2011. Is 2010 the only year they get all these priorities. If it is only 2010 then I wonder if the same regime is going to apply to West Sydney in 2011 which would be the year before they are due to enter the draft.

God help the teams who are bottoming out in the next two years and desperately need top draft picks in 2010 and 2011. They are going to be at least two years behind in rebuilding. Probably more. The Tigers, Nth and Freo probably have the biggest rebuilds to do during these drafts. Port. Also probably Collingwood. I guess Essendon, although they have started the rebuild but still have an old goal to goal line. Lloyd, Luca, Fletcher. Who all like they will be there next year. Maybe not Lucas. The Swans will be in major rebuilding phase by 2011 when the likes of Hall, O'Loughlin, Kirk, Barry plus others are gone. Most of the other teams have probably bottomed and have been rebuilding for a while.

Does anyone know what happens in 2011. Is 2010 the only year they get all these priorities. If it is only 2010 then I wonder if the same regime is going to apply to West Sydney in 2011 which would be the year before they are due to enter the draft.

God help the teams who are bottoming out in the next two years and desperately need top draft picks in 2010 and 2011. They are going to be at least two years behind in rebuilding. Probably more. The Tigers, Nth and Freo probably have the biggest rebuilds to do during these drafts. Port. Also probably Collingwood. I guess Essendon, although they have started the rebuild but still have an old goal to goal line. Lloyd, Luca, Fletcher. Who all like they will be there next year. Maybe not Lucas. The Swans will be in major rebuilding phase by 2011 when the likes of Hall, O'Loughlin, Kirk, Barry plus others are gone. Most of the other teams have probably bottomed and have been rebuilding for a while.

If West Sydney was going to be up and running for the 2011 draft, wouldn't they have to have a lot more framework put in place?

This time lat year GC17 were all over the news, coming up with mascots and colours, getting sponsors and people in to fill the major positions within the club, high profile backers and sponsorship talks.

Not long now before they'd need to sort out a coach.

These new clubs will recieve on going assistance have no fear. I think around 5 years. But it will be much longer than just one year.

We are in a good position right now.

As the detailed explanation above shows, the draft coming up at the end of this season is the last untouched draft, so if we want draft picks then this is a good year to get them!

Am I the only one who thinks that those concessions in 2010 are just way too ridiculously generous? Seven top-11 picks... Say that the '10 draft is the same strength as the 2001 draft, GC17 would get the equivalent of:

Luke Hodge

Luke Ball

Chris Judd

Just with their first three... then they've got six more (albeit extended) first-rounders.

Alternatively they could end up with

Adam Cooney

Farren Ray

Colin Sylvia

Thats 1 out of 3 there.! :(

Did fremantle or port adelaide get the same draft concessions, i was to young to remember?

In a word - No.

However they're not in a footballing state and the AFL probably think it's important for the team to have early success to cement it's position with the locals. I'm not sure if I agree with this opinion though.

Im not sure if the draft setup is finalised beyond next year as I think it revolves around the reailty ( or otherwise ) of West Syd getting off the ground when teh AFL think it will. You me and the gatepost all know it wont..well not when they think. GC have the bulls roar next year and other concessions and give-me's for a five year period. The makeup isnt set in stone yet, so im informed.

As TSJ writes...we timed this right ( phew!! ) ;)

But what their ( GC) concessions will really do in all likelyhood is garantee a trade period(s) like none other seen for a few years as others realise the precarious position they find themselves in. .

What we as a club need to do is capitalise on this volatility and build a strong 10-year team, take no prisoners in doing so and afford no one a charity ride.

Whilst all others about us lose their heads we may just pick up some silverware :)