Slim pickings at this years draft

Article in todays HUN. This years draft could be the weakest in 10 years. Partly due to the AFL increasing eligibility birthdates.

Sheahan says that some may pop up at/after the Champs.

Speculation we may see more trading this year.

The top two picks will be very valuable indeed.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would love a link...

i dont think wed trade picks 1 and 2 considering the butcher/scully package...the draft is probably quite shallow after this..

If we get picks 1 & 2 and its looking a good possiblity even at this stage, I would be very upset if we traded 2. It would have to be for a real star already that would be in the right age group and would fit into our needs. Other than that at this point I want Butcher and Scully.

That will set us up well for a bright future if all these new kids live up to potential which is a big if but we gotta get some good fortune somewhere, dont we???????????????????????????

If we get picks 1 & 2 and its looking a good possiblity even at this stage, I would be very upset if we traded 2. It would have to be for a real star already that would be in the right age group and would fit into our needs. Other than that at this point I want Butcher and Scully.

That will set us up well for a bright future if all these new kids live up to potential which is a big if but we gotta get some good fortune somewhere, dont we???????????????????????????

Have to agree, with no one getting a crack at the next to draft after this years we should hold on to those 2 valuable picks.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...2-19895,00.html

This is nothing new, we've known this for at least 6 months, and that's just a mug like me. The experts would have known for a good 12 months.

This year we need a pp pick, so whether we end up with the first two picks or picks 1 & 3, it doesn't matter. But we need to have access to two great kids, rathar than a punt with a later pick

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...2-19895,00.html

This is nothing new, we've known this for at least 6 months, and that's just a mug like me. The experts would have known for a good 12 months.

This year we need a pp pick, so whether we end up with the first two picks or picks 1 & 3, it doesn't matter. But we need to have access to two great kids, rathar than a punt with a later pick

We definitely need to secure pick one. Very important. The only team that can take it away is WCE which makes next week game at Subi very conflicted. We need to keep that.

If the draft is that shallow, Pick 2 or 3 should be even more valuable then previous years. Wouldn't trade but if a real jet who's under 23 y.o was on the market, Cough Roughhead, Franklin types, I'll pull the trigger. Can't imagine Hawks doing that so no.

We definitely need to secure pick one. Very important. The only team that can take it away is WCE which makes next week game at Subi very conflicted. We need to keep that.

If the draft is that shallow, Pick 2 or 3 should be even more valuable then previous years. Wouldn't trade but if a real jet who's under 23 y.o was on the market, Cough Roughhead, Franklin types, I'll pull the trigger. Can't imagine Hawks doing that so no.

The thing I like about the looks of Butcher and Scully is their apparent readiness for the top level. With another season under our current recruits belts, we are looking at starting next season with:

Watts

Butcher

Scully

Blease

Strauss and Jurrah ready to go. Not a bad influx of talent. :)

Do you mean the only LIKELY team to take it away? If we win 5 games this year (at this stage we could get there), and Freo or Richmond win 4 (while WC win 8 or something) then Freo would get pick 1.

You're assuming that WC will be the only team down at the bottom with us, and that we are DEFINITELY not winning more than 4...

Back on topic:

If you take a look at our recruiting after ND, it was clear it was going to take a minimum of 2 years to get rid of all the dead wood. Had we offloaded the 20 names we needed to we would have had to field Sandy players all year last year... In fact, we actually did play Sandy players all last year, just imagine if we didn't have some of the names that have now gone.

It's been mentioned before that this might be our first season of NOT recruiting 6-8 players in a while. The names thrown around, unfairly or not, are Newton (under contract still), Bell, Jamar, Meesen (who looks like he's going to stick around), Cheney (?!!!), McNamara (?!!!), Bartram, Dunn, Whelan, McDonald and trade conversations have taken place around anyone over 25, but more seriously Rivers, Bate and Sylvia.

Other than that the names on the list are fairly concrete. Even lesser lights like Martin are now approaching cult status, and names that used to be followed by only the nastiest of criticisms are gaining some momentum among the fans... think Petterd, Frawley, Warnock...

The truth is we're not going to trade the likes of Bruce, Davey, Green etc etc as they have to stickj around to teach the kids. Otherwise they'd be our only currency.

So what we're left with is the 10 names I first mentioned. Of which some are still under contract, some are just hitting maturity, some are actually showing more than the average fan had imagined they could...

For mine, I'd like to see our 3 mandatory delistings as Jamar, McDonald (if that's allowed, as he'd be retiring) and depending on what he wants to do maybe Wrecker... Other than that we have to make room on our list for our first two picks, maybe a third one depending on whether we trade it or not.

IMHO now is the time to start thinking about TRAINING a list, not trying to recruit it. We need to stick fat with 30 names, and have the other 10 or so under review, and replaced by what will be quality picks. It's te only way to go from here.

Do you mean the only LIKELY team to take it away? If we win 5 games this year (at this stage we could get there), and Freo or Richmond win 4 (while WC win 8 or something) then Freo would get pick 1.

You're assuming that WC will be the only team down at the bottom with us, and that we are DEFINITELY not winning more than 4...

It's been mentioned before that this might be our first season of NOT recruiting 6-8 players in a while. The names thrown around, unfairly or not, are Newton (under contract still), Bell, Jamar, Meesen (who looks like he's going to stick around), Cheney (?!!!), McNamara (?!!!), Bartram, Dunn, Whelan, McDonald and trade conversations have taken place around anyone over 25, but more seriously Rivers, Bate and Sylvia.

I'll spew up if we win 5 games. Not in my calculations. (surely). Won't be to perturbed if Freo or Richmond (will get more wins) finish below us with Pick 1 in hand.

Weagles must not finish below us. Weagles at Subi loss won't be the worse thing in the world.

Agree delistings will be hard cause we've got a young list and haven't got a real hold of how good or how bad they are.

Rd 6 still early but the players under pressure are

Bartram (think he'll survive), Bell (uphill battle), Buckley (touch and go for mine), Dunn (touch and go), Sylvia (touch and go), Jamar/Meesen/PJ (Spots to valuable to hold all of them), Newton (under contract but still), Wheatley (trade upgrade. less depth in draft and generally regarded as a good kick in AFL, might suit Sydney without Irishman. Or a team pushing finals who wants to replicate Geurra's success at Hawks) Robertson (hard decision?/ forced to retire?), Jmac (Retire?), Whelan (Retire?).

Yep, as Dappa Dan has pointed out, this won't be a year for another major cull of the list. Which is just as well giving the limited draft, with roughly a one quarter reduction in the total number of available recruits due to the raising of the entry age.

We are also in the happy position of having so many promising young or very young players that it's hard to find individuals who we can talk about delisting sensibly.

I'd say it'll only be three or at most four delistings this year. We may even bring one of those back through the rookie list, for example McNamara if he's not pushing up yet but still shows promise. (For the record, I think delisting McNamara would be really irresponsible this early)

I'd be quite keen on offloading the late picks (eg. 3rd rnd mid 30's, 4th rnd early 50's) in order to imporve our early picks (from say 21 to 14).

Of course it's not really viable to be talking about who to delist just yet - remember Garland and Warnock last year - but You'd expect a couple of veterans to go, and we may decide to move on an underperforming player in the 22yr-old area, hopefully traded rather than just dumped.

But it's also important to remember that the Gold Coast team will be patrolling for ready-made youngish players in 2010, and will have a wealth of draft selections ready to offer.

We will not trade picks 1 or 2 if we get them. If the draft is skinny then we may trade a fourth round pick (pick 38).

And Sylvia for a First Round draft pick B)

And Sylvia for a First Round draft pick B)

Tell him "He's dreaming. :P

Yep, as Dappa Dan has pointed out, this won't be a year for another major cull of the list. Which is just as well giving the limited draft, with roughly a one quarter reduction in the total number of available recruits due to the raising of the entry age.

I dont see why we should be retaining dead wood on the list.

I could still see us cutting 6 or 7 players and still elevating Spencer.

In your scenario, with Freo & Richmond finishing below us this year, we would not get our first pick until pick 3, rnd 1.

Tell him "He's dreaming. :P

I dont see why we should be retaining dead wood on the list.

I could still see us cutting 6 or 7 players and still elevating Spencer.

Name the possibles.

Extremely difficult. Especially considering those that are contracted for 2010.

Name the possibles.

Extremely difficult. Especially considering those that are contracted for 2010.

Dead Easy.

The following all have to the best of my knoweledge, 2009 contract expiries.

Two or three of Robbo, Whelan, Wheatley and Junior.

Three/Four out of PJ, Jamar, Bate, Dunn, Bell, McNamara, Buckley. There may be others as I dont have a complete list of expiries.

I would not want to be a listed player with a contract expiry that has not been injured and is not cracking a regular senior game this year.

This year 1 and 2 are asolutge gold. Will not be traded for anything.and I ask for what would/could we e interested in ? we arent looking at a windown next year.( that willbe a couple more probably ) We still need a few more into the mix. Having said that maybe we do considertrading any other picks.. and thats ANY other. It all depends whats on offer and what we need.

Other teams will be evaluating in terms of where they are on the clock and what their shortcomings are weighed against what is out there. The GC factor comes into play. Where for the most part the last few years have seen a minimum of activity come trade week I think it might be brisk usiness this year as those that fancy themselves bolster their ranks and those looking to uild or better lists will manouvre accordingly

But picks 1 and 2 will stay with us..no point using them for anything else than the best 2 in the draft

Dead Easy.

The following all have to the best of my knoweledge, 2009 contract expiries.

Two or three of Robbo, Whelan, Wheatley and Junior.

Three/Four out of PJ, Jamar, Bate, Dunn, Bell, McNamara, Buckley. There may be others as I dont have a complete list of expiries.

I would not want to be a listed player with a contract expiry that has not been injured and is not cracking a regular senior game this year.

As if we're going to delist Bate, Dunn, McNamara or Buckley....ZERO CHANCE!!! I'd give PJ only the slightest possibility but can't see it happening. Jamar and/or Bell maybe.

Whelan I'd say is pretty much a definite. Wheatley will completely depend on his latter half of the season. Junior and Robbo might have to 'take it for the team' because we'll need to delist at least 3