Why do we always get negative comments from the media?

demonique

I am sick and tired of us continually copping crap comments from some sections of the media.

Whether it be for crowd numbers, game performance and any damn thing.

I must say I didn't go to the game on Sunday afternoon, health problems!I watched it on TV, could have thrown a brick at the thing because of that p***k Brian Taylor, what is his problem?He cannot say anything good about us,even when we got some goals all we got from him was sarcasm and ridicule.Under the circumstances I thought we did pretty good for a young team on the improve.

Then in the Age we got more manure dumped on us from "Whats his name" Blake.

I wonder if they display this negativity because of their attitude towards our so called reputation as Silver Tails.

While I don't expect to have nothing but positive stuff written and spoken about us but just a bit of even handedness!

Does anybody else feel the same or am I too one eyed towards the Demons?

When both the supporters (14k) and team (4 goals) perform abysmally (even if the attendance was influenced by a poor fixture), then you are going to cop it from the media.

They are always looking to kick someone while they're down - Bulldogs, then North, now us. When West Sydney has crowds of 5k every home game we'll look pretty snazzy by comparison.

As far as the media is concerned, there are at least 3 axioms they live by.

1. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

2. Good news never sells.

3 An individual media performer needs to be inflammatory and controversial to keep the ratings up and therefore that individual keeps his/her job.

Thankfully, there are articles which are written by more balanced journalists. Martin Flanagan has written some great stuff about us recently and I was particularly impressed by Samantha Lane's article yesterday. I thought she summed up things pretty well, regarding the twilight zone game on Sunday. Almost certainly, in a few weeks time, someone else will cop a hiding from the tabloids and neanderthals like BT. I suspect, before the year is out, the Kangas may well be in a lot of doggy doo.

At the risk of incurring RR's wrath, there is perhaps another apt cliche, relevant to this topic. "Yesterday's newspaper, is tomorrow's fish and chips wrapper."

As far as the media is concerned, there are at least 3 axioms they live by.

1. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

2. Good news never sells.

3 An individual media performer needs to be inflammatory and controversial to keep the ratings up and therefore that individual keeps his/her job.

Thankfully, there are articles which are written by more balanced journalists. Martin Flanagan has written some great stuff about us recently and I was particularly impressed by Samantha Lane's article yesterday. I thought she summed up things pretty well, regarding the twilight zone game on Sunday. Almost certainly, in a few weeks time, someone else will cop a hiding from the tabloids and neanderthals like BT. I suspect, before the year is out, the Kangas may well be in a lot of doggy doo.

At the risk of incurring RR's wrath, there is perhaps another apt cliche, relevant to this topic. "Yesterday's newspaper, is tomorrow's fish and chips wrapper."

Nice post but I wouldn't say Martin Flanagan is balanced. He's favourable which is why we all read him.

I think some poor media is deserved considering what happened. We played like amateurs, supporters chose not to go, it was a crap-fest all round. We are entitled to be copping flak for that performance, especially considering we had just had a win and played some good footy in the process.

And to be honest, I thought the newspaper reports could have been a lot worse that what they were. I think we got off lightly all things considered. Port Adelaide's getting it a lot worse that we are at the moment.

I think you are rather frustrated, not one eyed. We've been down for a while now, and sometimes you can only take so much - especially when you're stuck at home, ill & on the couch.. :lol:

Until we reverse our form and get some wins on the board and improve our position on the ladder with consistency, we'll be copping some more, don't worry about that.

The media as a whole invariably homes in on the bad.. News is nearly always heavily weighted towards bad. Apparently 'nagativity' sells more the 'positivity'. Thats not to say the occasional uplifting piece wont be printed..its just easier to find and write about things 'wrong'.. just the nature of the beast.

Guest digga
I am sick and tired of us continually copping crap comments from some sections of the media.

Whether it be for crowd numbers, game performance and any damn thing.

I must say I didn't go to the game on Sunday afternoon, health problems!I watched it on TV, could have thrown a brick at the thing because of that p***k Brian Taylor, what is his problem?He cannot say anything good about us,even when we got some goals all we got from him was sarcasm and ridicule.Under the circumstances I thought we did pretty good for a young team on the improve.

Then in the Age we got more manure dumped on us from "Whats his name" Blake.

I wonder if they display this negativity because of their attitude towards our so called reputation as Silver Tails.

While I don't expect to have nothing but positive stuff written and spoken about us but just a bit of even handedness!

To be honest get over it. We are a poor team ATM. So cop it for the time being. Its only up from here.

As for crowd numbers we should cop that aswell.

GEELONG cop it pretty bad considering they are so good so we should aswell.

To be honest get over it. We are a poor team ATM. So cop it for the time being. Its only up from here.

As for crowd numbers we should cop that aswell.

GEELONG cop it pretty bad considering they are so good so we should aswell.

I know we are a poor team ATM and I am sensitive about it .I also know that a lot of it is constructive but what I don't like is the crap that is more of a personal nature from Taylor,he is a absolute (not printable)[censored]

Guest digga
I know we are a poor team ATM and I am sensitive about it .I also know that a lot of it is constructive but what I don't like is the crap that is more of a personal nature from Taylor,he is a absolute (not printable)[censored]

Yes true, but footy is a cycle and in the future alot more possitive stuff will be written. Plus crowd numbers will go up in 2 years, thats when we will seriously start looking at getting in the 8.

I think some poor media is deserved considering what happened. We played like amateurs, supporters chose not to go, it was a crap-fest all round. We are entitled to be copping flak for that performance, especially considering we had just had a win and played some good footy in the process.

And to be honest, I thought the newspaper reports could have been a lot worse that what they were. I think we got off lightly all things considered. Port Adelaide's getting it a lot worse that we are at the moment.

If we were bad then Adelaide were worse, if you believe that we're a bottom side and they're a top 8 contender.

I was at the game on Sunday and I watched the tape of the game this morning. (Hey, I'm home sick with nothing better to do).

I actually thought BT wasn't that bad. Sure there were a few smartarse remarks here and there, but he did say our future was looking good. And Healy and Hird seemed to be urging us on as well.

So as far as copping it from the media, I've heard worse.

The simple fact is, at the moment, though we are improving, we still can stink it up out on the field. Until that changes, we'll continue to cop the odd slap here and there.

It's easy for us to be bagged at the moment because our team is currently the 15th worst team. We will get better, The Football Club knows it & so do the posters on here.

I actually think we have had a fair bit of Good positive Press lately. (Compared to Richmond!)

The good Press will happen with victories & Cups.

Be Patient & you will enjoy the Glory days More.

I was at the game on Sunday and I watched the tape of the game this morning. (Hey, I'm home sick with nothing better to do).

I actually thought BT wasn't that bad. Sure there were a few smartarse remarks here and there, but he did say our future was looking good. And Healy and Hird seemed to be urging us on as well.

So as far as copping it from the media, I've heard worse.

The simple fact is, at the moment, though we are improving, we still can stink it up out on the field. Until that changes, we'll continue to cop the odd slap here and there.

I wasn't particularly referring to this weeks offerings so much as generally over the years.Its just that this weeks offerings just got me down.

I can't wait to have those bastards come sucking up to us when we are playing Grand Finals in the not too distant future.

Yes, I am just too sensitive for my own good!!

I dare say the irony about much of the media scutiny and lampooning over the weekend was realy a result of the creeping expectations that we are actually on the road to recovery and that Sunday's display wasnt commensurate with this. I dont think many expect us to win that many ( probably about 4 according to the astute ;) ) but what we served up this weekend was rubbish for the most part. We're expected now to lose in a much more presentable fashion !! :lol:

I dare say the irony about much of the media scutiny and lampooning over the weekend was realy a result of the creeping expectations that we are actually on the road to recovery and that Sunday's display wasnt commensurate with this. I dont think many expect us to win that many ( probably about 4 according to the astute ;) ) but what we served up this weekend was rubbish for the most part. We're expected now to lose in a much more presentable fashion !! :lol:

We only lost by 17 points & in truth it should have been less. We outplayed the Froot Loops in the 2nd Half by a long way.

Actually Belze it made a change from earlier in the season when we started ok then fell away as opposed to Sundays crap start

We've got better coverage this year than we've ever got I reckon. The 'new regime' have a lot to do with that. The only thing that really annoys me about certain sections of the media is the lie that our fans are apathetic. What really kills me though, is when our own fans buy into it. There are many reasons why I think we've got the best fans in the league.

The MFC have won 9 of its last 49 games.

Thats an 18% winning ratio since the start of 2007.

That may help explain to some people why we are laughed at by the media.

I actually think the media has been kind of going softy softly on the dees. Probably because we are in trouble as a club (no-one likes seeing the media kick someone while they're down, they are Aussies after all) and also probably because we are improving, if you scratch the surface.

Maybe also because they hve run out of funny things to say about how crap we are... only so many jokes related to snow and range rovers.

I actually think the media has been kind of going softy softly on the dees. Probably because we are in trouble as a club (no-one likes seeing the media kick someone while they're down, they are Aussies after all) and also probably because we are improving, if you scratch the surface.

Maybe also because they hve run out of funny things to say about how crap we are... only so many jokes related to snow and range rovers.

Agree. Didn't think about the jokes though. Come to think of it, it seems like they've subsided a lot, compared to this time last year. Maybe you're right.

Did anyone else notice brian taylors pronounciations(bad spelling) of warnock (warnik) and Mcdonald (maaacdonald) it just really [censored] my of. just had to get that out the way

Well I don't listen to BT because he sucks, but he's not the only one. And could someone please learn to pronounce Petterd as Petterd, not as Pettard

While morons in the media like BT, Sam Newman and Dwayne Russell continually put Melbourne down some of the more intelligent football brains in the media eg. James Hird and Gerard Healy are very positive about Melbourne. They've commented on how much we've already improved on next year and how good some of the players will be in the next few years.

And even on sunday, although yes it was a poor game, we only lost by 17 points against a side that's consistently been challenging for the premiership since 2002, and we still had half a chance half way through the last. Personally I've been very pleased with our progress so far this year.

I'm not phased by negative comments about the team/club in the media if they are expressed professionally and honestly without bias. What does annoy me is when we are not judged on merit (where applicable) and our brand is unecessarily damaged by people in the media who take opportunistic swipes. During a game, if we are bad who cares what they say as long as it is honest.