• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NOTHING SPECIAL

Demonland

NOTHING SPECIAL by Whispering Jack

There are some special moments in every sporting season when excitement runs to fever pitch and the world waits expectantly upon the spectacle about to unfold but, unfortunately, that is something which is unlikely to be said of the moment when the field umpire bounces the ball start proceedings between Richmond and Melbourne at around 2.10 pm this Sunday.

The MCG co-tenants are the AFL's two most dysfunctional teams and, needless to say, both will be chasing their first victory for the year.

The Tigers have been in turmoil since their gut wrenching opening match of the season when they were not only monstered by up and comers Carlton but they also lost glamour recruit Ben Cousins to yet another hamstring injury. The turmoil turned into full blown crisis mode last Monday after the Western Bulldogs comprehensively mauled them in the last three quarters of their game. Their supporters have been up in arms calling for the sacking of everyone from the president, the board, the coach and even the boot studder.

I'm not a fan of Terry Wallace and I can understand the dissatisfaction of the Tiger faithful with a 0-3 score line after three rounds but plenty of teams have fought back from their situation to complete successful seasons. It's too early to be calling for his head. Of course, next week's another matter altogether if his charges falter against Melbourne.

It's becoming commonplace for the Demons to face opposition teams at times when they are under the pump from their own supporters, the media and the public. Collingwood had just been through a week of soul searching after its shock opening round defeat at home against Adelaide and the Power endured seven days of ridicule and disgrace after being thumped out west. Now, it's the disgraced Tigers that carry the load of their insipid, mistake-riddled, inept losing form into their game against the Demons. You can't buy motivation better than that and what's more, Richmond has the perfect opposition in the AFL's punching bag against which to launch its recovery.

For its part, Melbourne keeps on rolling along like Old Man River. No headlines in bold letters, just a feel good fluff piece half a dozen pages from the back about Jim Stynes wanting his injury-riddled team to start winning "so a losing mentality doesn't creep in." As if it hasn't well and truly crept in after the team has lost 39 of its last 47 games!

Which all proves that Sunday's game at the MCG will be like the last couple of meetings between the two clubs.

Nothing special.

THE GAME Melbourne v Richmond at MCG - Sunday 19 April 2009 at 2.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Richmond 98 wins Melbourne 75 wins 2 draws

At the MCG Richmond 64 wins Melbourne 56 wins 1 draw

Since 2000 Richmond 9 wins Melbourne 5 wins

The Coaches Wallace 2 wins Bailey 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Channel 7 3 pm (1 hour delay)

Radio 3AW MMM K Rock

THE BETTING Richmond to win $1.33 Melbourne to win $3.15

LAST TIME THEY MET Richmond 18.13.121 d Melbourne 6.5.41 in Round 22, 2008 at the MCG

The Tigers finished off a season of improvement with a massive 80 point victory over a pathetic Melbourne team for which the end of the season couldn't come quickly enough. Unfortunately for the Demons and those of their supporters who turned up it was a slow death.

THE TEAMS

RICHMOND

Backs Chris Newman Kelvin Moore Alex Rance

Half Backs Tom Hislop Luke McGuane Dean Polo

Centerline Matt White Shane Tuck Andrew Collins

Half Forwards Nathan Brown Matthew Richardson Joel Bowden

Forwards Mitch Morton Jack Reiwoldt Brett Deledio

Followers Troy Simmons Daniel Jackson Nathan Foley

Interchange Daniel Connors Angus Graham Jordan McMahon Robin Nahas

Emergency Shane Edwards Jake King Jarred Oakley-Nicholls

In Andrew Collins Daniel Connors Jordan McMahon Robin Nahas

Out Shane Edwards Jake King Jay Schulz Richard Tambling

New Andrew Collins (Bendigo Pioneers)

MELBOURNE

Backs Neville Jetty Matthew Warnock Jared Rivers

Half Backs James Frawley Stefan Martin Aaron Davey

Centerline Jamie Benn ell Lynden Dunn Brock McLean

Half Forwards Matthew Bate Brent Maloney Michael Newton

Forwards Brad Miller Colin Sylvia Caleb Morton

Followers John Meesen Cameron Bruce Brad Green

Interchange Clint Bartram Paul Johnson Nathan Jones Ricky Petted

Emergencies Kyle Cheney Adam Maric Jake Spencer

In Michael Newton

Out Kyle Cheney

MORE OF THE SAME

It's no secret that Melbourne has been struggling under the weight of injuries and inexperience after off loading a number of club stalwarts at the end of 2008 and for this reason, the Demons and their coaching staff have been let off lightly by their own supporters and the baying dogs in the media who delight in making a meal out of the predicaments of others.

The mantra about the team having bottomed out and the supporters needing to be patient is one thing but this cannot be allowed to become the convenient response to issues of concern about the team's performance on a week to week basis and there are several of these matters that need to be addressed as the club goes through its transition from cellar dweller to what will hopefully be a better future somewhere down the line.

The inexperience factor is obviously one that is hurting the Demons right now. This week, the team will comprise of no more than four players with 100 games or more of AFL experience; Aaron Davey who reached the ton last week, Brad Miller who did so last year and Brad Green and Cameron Bruce who are in the 180's. To date, these players are at least holding their own but their combined experience is not enough to hold a young team together. If you look at the other clubs and the amount of experienced players they field each week (including this week's opponent Richmond which has several over 30's) and you know where the club is in terms of the cycle of development.

At the other end of the scale, the club is fielding large numbers of players each week with less than fifty game's experience and five of the 26 tried so far this season have been debutants. Again, you can't expect much more from these players than what they've produced to date.

Where the problem lies in my view is with the group of players in the early to mid 20's age group who have been at the club for around five years or so and who have generally played between around 50 and 100 games in that time. This group comprises names like Matthew Bate, Daniel Bell, Lynden Dunn, Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Brock McLean, Brent Moloney, Jared Rivers, Colin Sylvia. Michael Newton hasn't quite reached the games tally but you can add him to the group as well. Many of these players are first round draft picks and the club held high hopes for them in the past. Collectively, they are failing the club because their performances are simply not up to expectations.

Yes, there are excuses in almost every case. A few are injured and haven't played yet this year. Moloney has been good after a couple of poor seasons. However, these players are vital for Melbourne's future resurgence and yet, they haven't taken the steps forward that are demanded at most AFL clubs. It would be a tragedy if their slow development (some would say their development is non existent) would be glossed over because of the "bottom out factor" which has seen the club avoid the criticism that's fallen upon Richmond and Terry Wallace this week. These players need to rise to the occasion in 2009 and not wait for the players of lesser experience to overtake them.

The other area where the Demons are really struggling is up forward where an often outnumbered and outmanned attack is not only having difficulty in kicking anything like a winning score but is also constantly failing to keep the ball inside its forward fifty metre arc. The ball is routinely being swept away by opposition defenders who seem to be better positioned to the fall of the football and are able to move the ball out of defence with minimal pressure. The return to the team of Michael Newton and Adam Maric this week might assist but I suspect that the forward line issue is more of a long term problem for the Dees and will not be solved until more recently drafted younger blood is ready to play at this level.

I've focussed predominantly on one team in this game because the other has been well covered in the media. Richmond will probably get up in this game because their form has ironically been less unimpressive (on the strength of the Tigers' performance against Geelong) than that of Melbourne which has made itself irrelevant again in the eyes of the football public.

So the result may be irrelevant but I'm tipping Richmond by 15 points in what should be a dull, boring and colourless encounter on Sunday afternoon.

Hi guys and girls, first time on your board and no I havent come here to do anyone any disrespect. Just wanted to see what you thought of this upcoming game. I was a little surprised that Demonland doesnt think you are in with quite a good show. Whilst you havent won a game so far this year I still think you are in with a big shot against us. The key for you guys is to get off to a great start.

I actually watched the first quarter of your game last week and was really impressed by your competition when the ball was in dispute, it was along the same lines as us. Play one quarter then you kinda go missing for the rest of the game. Look, my opinion is that it will be closer than you think and I tell you what if you guys get in early and cause doubts to the already fragile minds of our players then you are in with a great show.

I'm going on Sunday, so I hope you guys get along to support your boys as well and last of all good luck and dont go in thinking it is a loss - both sides can easily win it. Just depends on who wants to apply themselves more.

Cheers and have a great game Dees.

Hi guys and girls, first time on your board and no I havent come here to do anyone any disrespect. Just wanted to see what you thought of this upcoming game. I was a little surprised that Demonland doesnt think you are in with quite a good show. Whilst you havent won a game so far this year I still think you are in with a big shot against us. The key for you guys is to get off to a great start.

I actually watched the first quarter of your game last week and was really impressed by your competition when the ball was in dispute, it was along the same lines as us. Play one quarter then you kinda go missing for the rest of the game. Look, my opinion is that it will be closer than you think and I tell you what if you guys get in early and cause doubts to the already fragile minds of our players then you are in with a great show.

I'm going on Sunday, so I hope you guys get along to support your boys as well and last of all good luck and dont go in thinking it is a loss - both sides can easily win it. Just depends on who wants to apply themselves more.

Cheers and have a great game Dees.

That's very kind and generous of you Coreytiger. I hope it's a great game but the Tigers have had such a big build up and there's so much pressure on them they have to win. On the other hand, there's no pressure on the Dees at all to win because it's accepted we're team building.

Good luck anyway!

Guest petjud

I look forward to Whispering Jack's review, but his week I am bitterly disappointed, has he got a virus or malaise all of a sudden, how very negative and pessimistic the review is.

Cheer up Jack, one of these weeks, we are going to click, we can see bits and pieces every week, one of the young guys may have a 'break out' game, one of Sylvia or Newton may suddenly realise they are actually quite a good player and perform as such.

That is why I am enjoying going to the games, the actual excitement of not knowing what is going to happen because we are such a young and inexperienced team, and as more of the young guys come in it will be the same.

Thw first quarter against Collingwood was great to watch, the couple of high speed runs Bennell put together at Port, will we see more on Sunday, we kicked 90 points last week, if we can keep Richmond to 89 that will be a win, the defence which is under seige never giving up and standing up time and time again, imagine when we get the rest clicking other teams will think they are kicking into a brick wall........I like Frawley the best in defence not because he is the best player.but he gives it everything......and you can see every emotion..............he would try and stop a Mack Truck if it was carrying the ball...

Winning is not everything.....because when it does happen it will be so much sweeter........I support Everton in the EPL we used to be a basket case......but we got a new Manager who has been given time.........he has made some astute buys and put a lot of faith in youth............we only managed a draw at the weekend.....but to watch it was wonderful.........we played some brilliant soccer..........it has taken him six years to acheive this....which is a lifetime in the EPL.....but he got there.

Melbourne will get there...........as long as we stop all the negativity.......somebody else has alreadty made a comment in another thread..the guys and gals I work with are actually quite jealous........especially the supporters of the Mid Teams like Adelaide, Roos etc..........I keep getting told that Melbourne has some young great tlalent and will be really good next or the year after than......

I will be there with my partner on Sundaty, scarves on, flag at the ready......seat belt securely fastened......ready for the ride......and enjoy it.......

So the result may be irrelevant but I’m tipping Richmond by 15 points in what should be a dull, boring and colourless encounter on Sunday afternoon.

I'm tipping the totally opposite. A spiteful, exciting encounter despite errors-a-plenty. Demons by 8 points.

This game will be anything but dull, boring and colorless.

One coach is fighting for his life, and it will be interesting to see how his players respond. if they want him gone, they may roll over on purpose.

As for the Demons, we have a great chance for a win to get our season started properly and boost membership.

The losers moves to the bottom of the table, so expect some hard, tough footy.

Gee, WJ, a bit of the sulky pills today?

Seriously, you couldn't see an angle in a 50-50 contest between one team at the start of a rebuild and another that was supposed to be at the end.

I'll have to do one of my own, instead of just complaining, I guess. Back in a few hours...

does anyone think the death of Sam Allica will have an impact on the team this week? They all would've attended his funeral on Wednesday... He was obviously extremely well loved around the club... They'll be wearing black armbands against Richmond... It's the type of thing that could get the boys pretty fired up, to make Sam proud...

It could not be a factor at all, hard to tell from the outside looking in... Will have to wait and see on Sunday...

There are some special moments in every sporting season when excitement runs to fever pitch and the world waits expectantly upon the spectacle about to unfold but, unfortunately, that is something which is unlikely to be said of the moment when the field umpire bounces the ball start proceedings between Richmond and Melbourne at around 2.10 pm this Sunday.

The MCG co-tenants are the AFL's two most dysfunctional teams and, needless to say, both will be chasing their first victory for the year.

Wow that is the worst Preview of a Game i have ever read. I Question your Passions today WJ. Poor effort in writing.

I am tipping this game is "ON" I want the Demons to put the old hand up and get stuck in-no excuses.

I usually love your work WJ but this week i hope you are left Red Faced eating those same said words.

Demons by 20 points.

Wow that is the worst Preview of a Game i have ever read. I Question your Passions today WJ. Poor effort in writing.
What utter rubbish!

The job of a previewer is to take an analytical look at the teams in question and WJ has pointed to two areas where we are in a bit of strife ATM (& not necessarily the only areas where we are in trouble).

If you think our forward line and our 50-100 game players are doing us proud at the moment then I suggest that you take off those rose coloured glasses. Either that or you haven't even bothered to read what WJ wrote.

What utter rubbish!

The job of a previewer is to take an analytical look at the teams in question and WJ has pointed to two areas where we are in a bit of strife ATM (& not necessarily the only areas where we are in trouble).

If you think our forward line and our 50-100 game players are doing us proud at the moment then I suggest that you take off those rose coloured glasses. Either that or you haven't even bothered to read what WJ wrote.

I know well the shortcomings of the MFC in 2009. Our young inexperienced forward line & yes some 50-100 gamers who have sadly underachieved while being well paid. Its time to stand up & earn your spot.

I also know how pathetic & spongy the mental attitude of the Tigers can be. This Game will be far from Dull which is why i questioned the writing style of Mr Whispering.

This is the first game where we have a genuine chance of victory & i would hope our resident wordsmith would write with that in mind.

And yes i did read the entire article.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

i must say i just only read WJ post on the game, it mite be bitter, but its the truth, you can go into the kmart store in cranbourne and they dont even stock our jumpers, i went there 2 weeks ago to buy my 4yr old a demons jumper, there were 9jumpers on the rack, i said to a young kid working, weres the demons stuff, response, thats whats happens when you finished last, :lol: smartass, but the truth hurts, unfortunately weve lost 3generations of supporters, 95 percent of our supporters are born into it, hopefully that will change, inept, gutless showings have put us in a bad situation over the 3 decades, hopefully this generation of kids have got more dash than the last 3.

The mantra about the team having bottomed out and the supporters needing to be patient is one thing but this cannot be allowed to become the convenient response to issues of concern about the team's performance on a week to week basis and there are several of these matters that need to be addressed as the club goes through its transition from cellar dweller to what will hopefully be a better future somewhere down the line.

FWIW I think these are hardly the words of someone who has no passion for the Melbourne Football Club.

does anyone think the death of Sam Allica will have an impact on the team this week? They all would've attended his funeral on Wednesday... He was obviously extremely well loved around the club... They'll be wearing black armbands against Richmond... It's the type of thing that could get the boys pretty fired up, to make Sam proud...

It could not be a factor at all, hard to tell from the outside looking in... Will have to wait and see on Sunday...

It may. It may have an impact vanlo. Whilst it's unfortunate tragic and sad events may lead to a more focused and united team as well as a better 4 quarter performance sometimes. It does frustrate supporters abroad as to why teams can't play with the same vigour in a game when no-one is recognised such as this case.

I know well the shortcomings of the MFC in 2009. Our young inexperienced forward line & yes some 50-100 gamers who have sadly underachieved while being well paid. Its time to stand up & earn your spot.

I also know how pathetic & spongy the mental attitude of the Tigers can be. This Game will be far from Dull which is why i questioned the writing style of Mr Whispering.

This is the first game where we have a genuine chance of victory & i would hope our resident wordsmith would write with that in mind.

And yes i did read the entire article.

Right on. Very remiss of WJ to expect a game between the last two seasons' wooden spooners and currently sitting 15th & 16th to be anything but exciting.

I'm looking forward with bated breath for the spectacular ruck battle between Simmonds and Meesen while the clash at CHF/CHB between Moloney and McGuane should be reminiscent of Knights/Van Der Haar of the 80's.

Like Big Kev. I'm excited!

The losers moves to the bottom of the table, so expect some hard, tough footy.

Oh I don't know about that......

God knows what St Kilda might do to Fremantle :o !!!