CASEY SCORPIONS v PORT MELBOURNE

w00dy

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Casey outfit seems to be sounding like the senior team the Melbourne football club every time I hear about them.

At half time it's been Grimes and Maric standing out with Shane Valenti getting plenty of the football. Casey have been very wasteful up forward and it's a tough slog out here on a cold night. The lights are just adequate but we could do with another bank or two to really light the place up plus a bonfire to keep the punters warm.

At half time it's been Grimes and Maric standing out with Shane Valenti getting plenty of the football. Casey have been very wasteful up forward and it's a tough slog out here on a cold night. The lights are just adequate but we could do with another bank or two to really light the place up plus a bonfire to keep the punters warm.

Not surprised in the slightest, although knowing Maric is playing means he won't come in for a late withdrawal!

This Casey outfit seems to be sounding like the senior team the Melbourne football club every time I hear about them.

Fact is that they're a very young side feeling their way, just like Melbourne.

Watts was off to a slow start, but had plenty of the ball in the second half and looked very smooth. Nothing amazing, but considering he hasn't played for 8 months you can only expect a slow start. When he was rested late in the first quarter he looked frustrated. Bailey was sitting in the public with his kids. Schwab was floating around too.

Hughes' mark was incredible.

Port hold on to win by win by 4 points but it was a much improved effort on last week for the home side. Casey has played the two teams which most pundits believe will be the competition leaders this season. having gotten them out of the way, the Scorps have another tough assignment against Frankston next week but hopefully, a few more Demon listed players will be coming back from injury to strengthen the team further.

Casey Scorpions 0.3 1.7 5.11 9.13 (67)

Port Melbourne 2.4 4.5 7.9 10.11 (71)

GOALS:

Casey Scorpions: Robertson 3 Maric 2 Grimes Moore McGough Jurrah

Port Melbourne: Bonaddio 3 Robbins 2 Mullins Dillon Raymond Burstin Smith

BEST:

Casey Scorpions: Valenti Wall Silvagni Spencer Panozza Robertson

Port Melbourne: McGrath Pleming Smith Brewer Dalton Bonaddio

REPORTED PLAYERS:

Casey Scorpions: B. MaCreadie (Casey) for charging M. Smith (Port Melbourne) during the 3rd quarter

Port Melbourne: Nil

Im liking the sound of this game. Grimes and Maric must be in next week.

Yup! Unless we beat Richmond by 50-60points and theres just no way anyone can get dropped, I'd say they're in. Maybe even Robbo if he had a good game. But saying that even IF we do beat Richmond by 50-60points im sure there will be one or two underachieving players.

I tell ya what...After getting lost on the way, oh I dont know, 3 or 4 times, it turned out an ok day.

Great to see Watts, but unfortunately, didnt really get to see him step up. There was very little supply, but he did well with what he got. He kicked 1 but could of had 3. He judges the ball pretty well too, but again not much to report on him. (happen to be standing next to his family two, which seem like nice people....IS THAT HIS SISTER!!????????)

The seniors was a much better game, Robbo is slowly getting back there. I was surprised at how well he has progressed. Took a couple of fantastic screamers and kicked 3 nice goals. I think that we can look forward to Robbos return. Athletically, he was looking real good. Personally, cant wait to see him again this year.

Valenti has to be close for a call up surely!! BOG.

Maric would have impressive selectors, should have got a game this week on form.

Jurrah still has a long way to come, but is wonderful to watch. Very athletic and has a long penetrating kick on him.

Grimes played pretty well, and set up a few plays out of the back line. Looked really good, and the back held up during the game.

On a bad note (possibly) Wheels only played the first half, and for the second, had his thigh iced. Not sure if he hurt it or if it was just for good measure. Lets hope so.

Its a really nice ground, by far the best in the league, but as a venue, lacks a little bit of that old 'suburban foot ground feeling'.

Iam very tired after the drive, iam sure someone will right a more comprehensive (or perhaps even coherent) report.

Good day all in all.

Fact is that they're a very young side feeling their way, just like Melbourne.

Which begs the question, do our young and fringe players learn more in an inexperienced struggling side that loses every week as Casey have been this year, or in a strong experienced side with a winning culture such as Sandringham. There's plusses and minusses for both sides of the argument I'd say...

Which begs the question, do our young and fringe players learn more in an inexperienced struggling side that loses every week as Casey have been this year, or in a strong experienced side with a winning culture such as Sandringham. There's plusses and minusses for both sides of the argument I'd say...

Thats exactly right DD. A winning culture is a winning culture, regardless of the level of skill.

I did think that whilst watching today, it cant be good for players like Jetta, Cheney, Spencer etc etc who will be in week in and out the next, to be playing in sides where they are continually getting belted. Its no good for their development.

Look at Collingwoods young players for example. Players like Beams are already and (and probably will be for years to come) miles ahead of the rest, because of the confidence they are receiving from winning games like that.

I made the trek down to Casey today too... Took me almost an hour and a half to get there from the CBD (should've used Citylink)... Anyhow, I got there right on 4.00 and caught the first bounce for the reserves.

My report on Jack... Pretty quiet in the first, although his goal assist was great... He went in for a hard ball, got the ball but was tackled, the ball spilled, and he just flicked it up to a teammate with his boot, who went on to goal... Very much like Marty Clarke for Collingwood on Friday night for those who saw it... Was a very smart bit of play... Right on quarter time he made a lead, the delivery was poor prompting him to wait for the ball, his opponent managed to fist the ball away, but you could see he positioned himself well and gave himself every chance to win the contest...

As the game went on he got better... Looked good in traffic, got his first goal... Took a couple of contested marks... For those who have seen his youtube videos he just reads the flight of the ball so much better than most... Also pushed up the ground a bit, especially when Casey weren't winning much of the footy... He managed to provide a target up on the wing when the ball wasn't coming forward...

Was pretty quiet in the last, but Casey were smashed in the last term... Plus it was his first hitout, he was bound to be tired, given he only spent about 5 minutes each quarter on the bench...

Wheels definately was hurt, he limped out of the rooms at half time, they wrapped ice to his thigh and that was his day... lets hope it's only a Corkie... did well in the first half, was playing on ball, took a hanger, looked good...

I watched the first half of the seniors... Very scrappy football, it was like the intensity and pressure was at AFL level, but the skills were at VFL level...

What I saw pretty much echos what people have been saying the last couple of weeks.

Maric looks a class above, his pace and skills are his assets... He had the ball out on the wing, looking for a teammate to handpass too. When none were forthcoming he evaded about 5 Port tackles from 3 different players before he dished the ball off. Was very impressive.

Valenti is Valenti, fantastic VFL footballer...

Jurrah definately has that X factor... Saw him go up for a hanger, run like the wind and kick one out on the full, and chase Port players with the footy for about 40 metres trying to lay a tackle... Definately has all the tools, just needs to learn how to put them together... Was most impressed by his pace, he's lightening for a player his size...

Robbo looked lively, not much supply... Took his regulation hanger... Not too far away from the AFL...

I think I'm still thawing out from the cold... One more thing, I think Cranbourne has to have the most Red Roosters per capita anywhere in Australia... I drove in via Berwick-Cranbourne Rd, and home via South Gippsland Hwy... Between the two routes, before I got back on the freeway I saw 4 Red Roosters... Astounding

(happen to be standing next to his family two, which seem like nice people....IS THAT HIS SISTER!!????????)

You only had to look at her to know that was his sister... Throw Jack in what she was wearing and you couldn't tell them apart! Not sure that's a good thing though...

Went to the game tonight and enjoyed the game. For what it's worth, these were my observations.

Maric - MUST be selected next week. Worked hard all day, showed great evasiveness and was highly effective, looks like the player we all wanted Sylvia to be. If Jetta has another quiet day, they will most definately swap positions next week. Mortified not to see him in our best!

Robbo - Can't be far at all from a senior call up. If for no other reason than the lack of goal kicking options up forward.

Jurrah - Kids got skills! You can see that he is still learning the finer points of the game, but wouldn't be surprised if he had a senior call up in the latter half of the season.

Spencer - Hot & Cold, his kicking is awful to watch, leaves your heart in your mouth everytime he drops the ball to his foot, there's so much margin for error. Looks like Screetch from 'Saved by the bell'.

Grimes - Class act, hits targets, remians composed, makes good decisions and runs hard. Won't be long before we see him in the seniors.

McKenzie - Played reasonably well, didn't set my world on fire though (I'm sure that's important to him). Could develop into a good player, will need to spend a bit more time a Casey though.

Valenti - Worked hard all day and won plenty of the footy. His skills still leave a bit to be desired. Would love to see him get the call up to give Brock a rest, but don't think he can be elevated yet??

Zomer - Extremely underwhelming, beaten all night, get the feeling his career is at a very important crossroad.

McNamara - Did ok, just ok, need to see more from him.

There were an awful lot of turnovers due to skill errors, mainly from the Casey players. Makes me wonder how difficult it must be to develop AFL players in this sort of competition? Thoughts?

One more thing, I think Cranbourne has to have the most Red Roosters per capita anywhere in Australia...

I've always maintained that Casey Fields would have made a great fit with the North Melbourne Football Club. Anyway, I now know why Adam Simpson and Daniel Pratt hang out so often in the Cranny area. ;)

I think I'm still thawing out from the cold... One more thing, I think Cranbourne has to have the most Red Roosters per capita anywhere in Australia... I drove in via Berwick-Cranbourne Rd, and home via South Gippsland Hwy... Between the two routes, before I got back on the freeway I saw 4 Red Roosters... Astounding

I couldn't resist a strip sub on the way down