Dean Bailey as coach?

Is Dean Bailey a good coach?  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A lot of people I find are too impatient. Considering Dean Bailey has practically built this list from scratch, I think he's doing a great job at Developing the list so far. I have questioned some of his match day moves (eg Petterd at full forward), but all in all, i don't think you can paint a Mona Lisa with a piece of black chalk.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Bailey's decision to move Ricky Petterd in the forward line. He is that sort of in and under player who can take those marks inside 50, and he has massive potential and he is still developing. Ricky Petterd has been added to the list to other Melbourne players who have come off better with Bailey in control, like Garland, Warnock and Frawley.

I like Bailey's decision to move Ricky Petterd in the forward line. He is that sort of in and under player who can take those marks inside 50, and he has massive potential and he is still developing. Ricky Petterd has been added to the list to other Melbourne players who have come off better with Bailey in control, like Garland, Warnock and Frawley.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Ricky, hence my name. But I'm not sure if DB is utilising Petterd's strengths. He's a really tough player who could work better off the half back line, or in the center of the ground. He could possibly be a great asset on the wing or in the half forward line with bate and miller. Not convinced with his kicking for goal or his contested marking at the moment though.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Ricky, hence my name. But I'm not sure if DB is utilising Petterd's strengths. He's a really tough player who could work better off the half back line, or in the center of the ground. He could possibly be a great asset on the wing or in the half forward line with bate and miller. Not convinced with his kicking for goal or his contested marking at the moment though.

I still think it's more beneficial to have him in the forward line. Yes, maybe move him up the ground a bit sometimes but he couldn't cement a spot in the team playing in defence hence only playing two games last year. He has played the first three games of the year and looks good and stronger than ever in my opinion.

He is the PERFECT coach for now.

- Good at development

- CHEAP

- prepared to play the kids rather than recruit mature players to chase wins & short-term gain

- refuses to mortgage the club's future to ensure his own job security

- Quite capable in the media, especially following a loss -- he's not exactly Mark Harvey

- Consistently preaches the value we as supporters yearn for the most - competitiveness - and it seems to be getting ingrained in the players minds, as they no longer give up late in games

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
He is the PERFECT coach for now.

- Good at development

- CHEAP

- prepared to play the kids rather than recruit mature players to chase wins & short-term gain

- refuses to mortgage the club's future to ensure his own job security

- Quite capable in the media, especially following a loss -- he's not exactly Mark Harvey

- Consistently preaches the value we as supporters yearn for the most - competitiveness - and it seems to be getting ingrained in the players minds, as they no longer give up late in games

Agree completely. He only has so much to work with and he isn't interested in quick fixes. As long as he keeps working hard on developing the kids I will be happy for him so stay on for the forseeable future.

Bailey is a good man. He stood up to CJ. Any one who does not want to play at Melbourne Right now can leave. I f you play well you will get games.

This club is starting from scratch. On & off field. Be Patient.

Exactly, that & more, young Bennell, I can see him improving every single game he plays, love his developing composure, his run & carry breaking the lines & delivery, this kid will be good.

Jetta, under the pump as a 18/19Yr old in the forwardline showing good fight, these kids have good skills & have been chucked in the deep end, they'll soon go back to Casey as more senior players take their spots back.

I'm very satisfied with the direction the club is taking with talented youth & I hope we can grab Scully & Butcher this year.

We'll start the climb in 2010, 10th or 11th, & then pushing into the eight 2011.

as much as I'd like to see Aaron Davey playing forward, his precise delivery from the midfield is an asset we need to maintain.

Bailey's use of him upfield is spot on.

Now if we had Wona running around in the forward 50 we would start to look more potent.

I like also the way Bailey is building a back six that will persist for years. His intent is right...I just hope the execution follows.

For 2009-10 and 11 I say have him coach the team. After that, make a call on: How he has been going as a match-day coach vs whoever is available at the time in the coaching fraternity.

If there's a tried and true premiership coach out there, and they're available, and they want to come over (who wouldn't with the list we'll have) then by all means. We have to leave no stone unturned. If he's the right man for the job, a la Clarkson, then by all means.

First time poster here. But long time Demon Fan and member.

Just thought I'd direct all "Bailey Bashers" to an article by Leigh Matthews on AFL.com

Here is what I thought was a key point

"If I had to give a percentage, a successful team is 80 per cent playing ability and 20 per cent what a coach does with them. Of the coach’s contribution, nine tenths is getting the basics right and one tenth would be devising a game plan that maximises your strengths.

The longer I coached the more I became convinced of this fact."

Full article can be viewed here.

The truth about coaching

Just thought I'd direct all "Bailey Bashers" to an article by Leigh Matthews on AFL.com

"If I had to give a percentage, a successful team is 80 per cent playing ability and 20 per cent what a coach does with them. Of the coach’s contribution, nine tenths is getting the basics right and one tenth would be devising a game plan that maximises your strengths.

The truth about coaching

Great Article Thanks. This Should be read often by all Melbourne people over the next 5 years. Lethal Coached 3 in a row. Richmond supporters now want Lethal to wave a magic wand & bring Glory to the Tigers. It won't Happen. Bailey is doing a fine job i believe.

Great Article Thanks. This Should be read often by all Melbourne people over the next 5 years. Lethal Coached 3 in a row. Richmond supporters now want Lethal to wave a magic wand & bring Glory to the Tigers. It won't Happen. Bailey is doing a fine job i believe.

Disappointed that the thread about Bailey's coaching has been locked. We should be able to openly discuss an issue as vital as whether or not the coach is measuring up to standard. I agree he needs time to develop the team but I also believe that its time to see the development of some tactics and strategies and I don't want to wait 5 years to discover that our coach isn't up to it!

"But I'm not sure if DB is utilising Petterd's strengths."

You could say that for most of the team. This is IMO a good thing. He's working on their weaknesses/untapped potential and/or helping facilitate that in others. So long as the fundamentals of the potential roles are covered at training, strengths can be maintained.

Disappointed that the thread about Bailey's coaching has been locked. We should be able to openly discuss an issue as vital as whether or not the coach is measuring up to standard. I agree he needs time to develop the team but I also believe that its time to see the development of some tactics and strategies and I don't want to wait 5 years to discover that our coach isn't up to it!

At the moment the forward line is injured or in the classroom learning. What would you do that's different. The clean out at this club should have been done after the 2006 Finals campaign. IE "Good effort Blokes, but that is as far as a lot of you will go" Harsh but True. It wasn't done then, so Bailey is carrying the can for that. At least we are getting Draft Picks before GC & west Syd Ravage the country. Baileys Game plan will be shown in full once the forward line & Midfield are represented properly. I am prepared to be patient for this & next year before i start Yelling!

The truth about coaching

This article's interesting.

Leigh Matthews says that Good recruiting is the Lifeblood of any team- Melbourne have got that right.

Look, in my opinion there are probably 3 types of coaches.

The first is what I'm fairly certain Dean Bailey is: a coach who develops young players and builds a team.

The second is the type of coach that can take an established team and make them elite. Hopefully achieving the ultimate success.

The 3rd type, which I hope to god Dean Bailey is... is the rare coach who can combine the two. Clarkson is one. Thompson is. There aren't too many.

Bailey is good for us now considering our current list. Whether he will still be the man for the job in 3-4 years time remains to be seen.

[There's probably also a 4th type - the coach who is crap at both of those aspects and manages to bluff his way into the job.

Bailey is not this type.]

The 3rd type, which I hope to god Dean Bailey is... is the rare coach who can combine the two. Clarkson is one. Thompson is. There aren't too many.

Bailey is good for us now considering our current list. Whether he will still be the man for the job in 3-4 years time remains to be seen.

Truth is we all hope he is this '25, but only time will tell on that......

However I am with you in that right now he is doing what he seems to know how to do, and that is to build and develop a team.

This takes time and patience, and unfortunately we are just going to have to wait and see, with our fingers crossed, that he knows what he is doing and that success will follow.