Casey Scorpions v Box Hill Hawks 21/3/09

KC from Casey

I can officially announce that Liam Jurrah has just entered the stadium here at Casey Fields along with the Casey team and including the Demon contingent. As they warm up Aussie's looking particularly good with his slim body and new haircut.

Conditions are completely different to last week with a hot dry wind blowing from the north.

Casey reserves lost 9.12.66 to Box Hill 16.9.105.

Thanks KC, I look forward to your updates...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can officially announce that Liam Jurrah has just entered the stadium here at Casey Fields along with the Casey team and including the Demon contingent. As they warm up Aussie's looking particularly good with his slim body and new haircut.

Conditions are completely different to last week with a hot dry wind blowing from the north.

Thanks KC, would love some updates on Dees players throughout the match if you could?

Jurrah's first goal. Scorps 2.0 to 0.2 - kicking with the wind.

Qtr time: Casey Scorpions 6.3.39 to Box Hill 0.4.4

It's a scrambly affair with Maric (2 goals) and Valenti starring.

Other goalkickers - Jurrah, Zomer, Hillberge & Sykes

Good news, Maric may even be a chance for Round 1.

Qtr time: Casey Scorpions 6.3.39 to Box Hill 0.4.4

It's a scrambly affair with Maric (2 goals) and Valenti starring.

Other goalkickers - Jurrah, Zomer, Hillberge & Sykes

Its now 80 minutes since your quarter time report. Has your phone broken down?

Half Time: Casey Scorpions 8.5.53 to Box Hill 4.6.30

Addam Maric with three goals has been exceptional in his decision making and ball use. Aussie and Shane Valenti have done well while the Casey players to stand out were Wall, Matthews and Silvagni.

Goalkickers: Maric 3, Hillberge, Jurrah, Sykes, Zomer

Addam Maric with three goals has been exceptional in his decision making and ball use. Aussie and Shane Valenti have done well while the Casey players to stand out were Wall, Matthews and Silvagni.

Excellent, hope they second half goes well and he comes through unscathed and gives himself a chance to line up for the dees sooner rather than later.

Nice work KC. Any news on Riv??

Its now 80 minutes since your quarter time report. Has your phone broken down?

Yes.

Reception poor. Have to send in a report by carrier pigeon the way things are going.

3 Qtr time: Casey Scorpions 10.6.66 to Box Hill 4.7.31

Box Hill went very defensive and played possession football going out wide to keep the scoring down.

Still anybody's game as the wind is strengthening.

Valenti & Matthews getting a lot of the ball.

No noticeable injuries in the Demon camp.

Casey fought off a strong finishing Hawks to win by 10 points.

All clear on the injury front from what I could see. A couple of the boys were getting iced up on the boundary and most didn't see out the game although that was probably intentional. Maric and Aussie only had half a game while PJ and Rivers had about 3 and a half quarters. The others somewhere in between and the rookies played out most of the game.

Report later as reception is poor.

Casey Scorpions 11.7.73 defeated Box Hill Hawks 9.9.63

Was able to get down for the first half and here is my assessment of the Demons for the first half

Aussie - Looked good and his skills were very good

Riv - Was doing what he had to do. Read the play as well as anyone out there and was doing the right thing by staying away from as many other players as possible to reduce the curse as much as he can ( I know he can still get injured on his own!)

PJ - Best big man on the ground and was getting a fair bit of it.

Zomer - Really liked the look of him and gave Casey a reasonable target. Better option then Newton in my opinion. Did some ruck duties in the second qtr

Valenti - What do you expect of Valenti, hard at it feed it out, give a contest everytime - and thats what he gave in the first half.

Jurrah - I reckon he will be 10- 15 touches per game but everyone will result in something exciting happening, lean quick athletic can reall see him being a real handful for defenders in a couple of years. Kicked and early goal but suffered a bit from being in starvation corner.

McKenzie - Good size and certainly well worth the investment on a rookie list if the first half was anything to go by.

Maric - Kicked three to half time and just looked like a rolls royce everytime he got. Moved through the midfield when he had to and just showed poise, skill and execution each time.One of his goals was just reward for being in a contest between wing and half forward, being clean with the ball but more importantly ran hard to give another option at the end of teh passage of play and he ran into the goalsquare unmarked for an easy goal. By the far the most exciting part for the DEmons in the first half

Hope this helps and remember - opinions - everybody has one !!!!!!!!!!!

KC just phoned in and asked me to put this up as his iphone is dying:

Zomer - seems a little slow especially on a lead and was often caught wrong footed. Was moved around a bit to try and get into the game.

Maric - great disposal and clearly knows where the goals are. Kicked 3 goals and helped in a couple of others. Played a half and the quicker he is in the side the better because of his general skills and his ability to hit targets. I would almost be tempted to play him next week but they don't do things that way these days and for good reason. He will therefore get at least another run with Casey.

Rivers - played most of the game and will be in the side next week. Played well and held the defence together.

PJ - dominated the ruck and will play next week against the Roos. Casey had the two best big men in PJ and Wall and that probably held them in good stead.

Aussie- appeared a little underdone due to his injury. Played half a game and will probably need another run with Casey opening the door for Jetta next week.

Liam Jurrah - did a few nice things in his first run but was naturally rusty and will need a few games with Casey to get to where he needs to be.

Valenti - had leather poisoning. Dominated and will form a good combination with Casey small man Matthews.

McKenzie- showed a bit and has time to develop.

Just back from the game after leaving just after 3/4 time.

Ausie was allready changed at this time. He had been receiving treatment on the lower back every time he came off the ground.

Maric stayed on the bench during the break and had ice on his groin.

Coach said that Aussie and Adam were out for the rest of the game.

Asked Rivers how much longer he wanted to play. Replied about 1/4 of the last 1/4.

PJ looked good.

Also number 11 Wall for the Scorpions.

Just back home after my first visit to Casey Fields. What a nice facility. Great pavilion. Had a couple of beers on the social club balcony. The locals are funny fellas.

The overall Casey Fields is going to be an amazing area once it is finished, along with the aquatic centre (looks great even half finished) and houses are added around the Casey site. Bit more shade would be handy... my pale skin from 12 months in the UK is now bright bloody pink!

The game: Wind was 5 goal breeze from the north. Very very warm day to be playing footy. Skills from both sides were very poor due to conditions.

Aussie and Maric stood out for their skills, ball use, smarts and body use early but both faded out as the heat took over.

Zomer - Was 2nd to every contest he was involved in, very ordinary day out but the conditions did not suit big men at all.

Maric - as mentioned above looked a cut above, was the real positive out of the game.

Rivers - played 15 mins each qtr, zoned off really well in conditions, was caught out a number of times zoning off due to conditons but will be much better for the run.

PJ - was good in the ruck but gave away at least 3 silly free kicks, game was not suited to big men as the ball fell well short into wind and floated way long with the wind.

Aussie- thought he looked really good. An exceptional pick up on the run in the first 5 mins showed he was over hammy, played until 10 mins into 3rd then left Casey 10 mins into last with Davey. His defensive pressure was so good to see.

Liam Jurrah - Very few touches of the footy. Looked a little lost at times. Didn't lead hard enough but in the first half was screaming into the fwd 50 3 or 4 times on his own and was over looked. His ability to find space was good to see and he had some nice long chases to create pressure and as mentioned conditions did not suit tall forwards. Will need a fare stint at Casey for mine.

Valenti - Plenty of it in the first half but his skills will not allow him to get much further than where he is I feel. Just not long enough with the boot. He was in and under every stoppage and some decent hands out.

Mckenzie- slow to start but really ran out the game, some nice passes, linked very well and was also in and under. He was doing it all. Not much pace but just keeps on working. Might develop on.

KC just phoned in and asked me to put this up as his iphone is dying:

Zomer - seems a little slow especially on a lead and was often caught wrong footed. Was moved around a bit to try and get into the game.

Maric - great disposal and clearly knows where the goals are. Kicked 3 goals and helped in a couple of others. Played a half and the quicker he is in the side the better because of his general skills and his ability to hit targets. I would almost be tempted to play him next week but they don't do things that way these days and for good reason. He will therefore get at least another run with Casey.

Rivers - played most of the game and will be in the side next week. Played well and held the defence together.

PJ - dominated the ruck and will play next week against the Roos. Casey had the two best big men in PJ and Wall and that probably held them in good stead.

Aussie- appeared a little underdone due to his injury. Played half a game and will probably need another run with Casey opening the door for Jetta next week.

Liam Jurrah - did a few nice things in his first run but was naturally rusty and will need a few games with Casey to get to where he needs to be.

Valenti - had leather poisoning. Dominated and will form a good combination with Casey small man Matthews.

McKenzie- showed a bit and has time to develop.

Thanks Redleg.

I will be doing a report on the game which will cover the better players from both sides. If caseyscorp is out there I'd appreciate it if he could identify number 2, a blond player called Andy who played well but whose name was not in the team sheet handed out at the ground.

Casey dominated the rucks through PJ and Wall and they gave their little men first use for most of the day. Valenti and Matthews won a lot of the ball at ground level and the latter kicked a real captain's goal late in the game to effectively seal the result. More later.

Thanks Redleg.

I will be doing a report on the game which will cover the better players from both sides. If caseyscorp is out there I'd appreciate it if he could identify number 2, a blond player called Andy who played well but whose name was not in the team sheet handed out at the ground.

Casey dominated the rucks through PJ and Wall and they gave their little men first use for most of the day. Valenti and Matthews won a lot of the ball at ground level and the latter kicked a real captain's goal late in the game to effectively seal the result. More later.

Got there about halfway through the last quarter of the 2nds, Pierce Liddle did some very nice things, I don't think he will be in the 2nds for very long.

I think Shane Valenti may struggle on the bigger Casey ground and not be as dominant as he was at TBO, had a chance to seal the game in the last but missed, a player of his talents has to kick those type of goals if he wants to progress his career.

Trent Zomer was caught behind too much but the disposal to him was ordinary and did not allow him (or anyone else) to lead with confidence.

PJ was very good, just the hitout we would have wanted him to have for next week.

Aussie and Maric were good in the first half, with Maric dangerous around goal.

Rivers zoned off very well and took some Jared marks.

Jordie McKenzie was our best player for the day, and probably spent the most time on the ground of the Melbourne guys, did some very nice things in tight, would not be surprised if he was elevated off the rookie list before the end of the year.

And the most exciting for last - Liam Jurrah's first touch was running at full pace, picked the ball up at ankle height, did a blind turn through the pack and shot out a handball, very very nice. Didn't do alot else but that was enough to excite Big Kev and make me very eager to see more of him.

All in all a nice day was had out at Casey, I am reliably informed that the hotdogs are not as good as TBO, but the ham and salad role I had hit the spot nicely, plenty of time during the colder months to compare the hotdogs.

Jordie was particularly impressive with his work at the clearances. Would expect based on today PJ will play round one the rest I would not rush back at this time (Rivers, Wonna, Maric) or need time to develop (Jordie, Jurrah). Not a great day for leading forwards but Zomer did not impress more so for his lack of speed off the mark than what he actually did.