TEAM 4 RND 1

bjgc

Now that the pre season games are done and dusted I thought I would choose our team rnd 1.

B: GARLAND, MARTIN, WARNOCK

HB: FRAWLEY, RIVERS, BUCKLEY

C: BRUCE, MCLEAN, MORTON

HF: GREEN, MILLER, DAVEY

F: WONAEAMIRRI, BATE, JETTA

FOLL: SPENCER, MCDONALD, JONES

IC: BARTRAM, MOLONEY, DUNN, JOHNSON

EMREG: CHENEY, PETTERD, BENNELL

Damn Grimes another back injury it doesn't look good that's a big blow I was expecting big things from him.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FB: Garland Warnock Martin

HB: Petterd Rivers Grimes

C: Morton Jones Green

HF: Sylvia Bate Davey

FF: Wonaeamirri Miller Jetta

Foll: Spencer McDonald McLean

Int: Johnson Moloney Bruce Buckley

Emergency: Frawley Bennell Dunn

Injured: Whelan Robertson Wheatley Bell Jamar Maric

I almost completely agree with this team... except....

- IN- Newton, OUT- Jetta

- The unlucky ones are Frawley, Bartram, Jetta, Cheney, Bennel, Bail. Any one of these could

I can't figure out exactly how, but Frawley has been terrific all pre-season and must somehow get a rnd1 spot. The whole pre-season Bailey has talked up Frawley and Bartram as the standouts. Therefore they will no doubt get a spot on the team. For who i'm not sure.

Now that the pre season games are done and dusted I thought I would choose our team rnd 1.

B: GARLAND, MARTIN, WARNOCK

HB: GRIMES, RIVERS, BUCKLEY

C: BRUCE, MCLEAN, MORTON

HF: GREEN, MILLER, DAVEY

F: WONAEAMIRRI, BATE, JETTA

FOLL: SPENCER, MCDONALD, JONES

IC: BARTRAM, MOLONEY, DUNN, JOHNSON

EMREG: FRAWLEY, CHENEY, PETTERD

Here's how I make the mix:-

....B: BRUCE, MARTIN, RIVERS

..HB: GRIMES, WARNOCK, GARLAND

....C: BUCKLEY, MCLEAN, MORTON

...HF: GREEN, MILLER, DAVEY

.....F: NEWTON, BATE, WONAEAMIRRI,

FOLL: JOHNSON, MCDONALD, JONES

...IC: SPENCER, MOLONEY, DUNN, CHENEY,

EMERG: = FRAWLEY, SYLVIA, JETTA, PETTERD, BARTRAM

Assuming Whelan and Wheatley are unavailable

B: Frawley Warnock Bartram

HB: Garland Rivers Grimes

C: Buckley McLean Green

HF: Morton Miller Davey

F: Johnson Bate Sylvia

Foll: Spencer Bruce

Rov: McDonald

I/c: Wonaeamirri Petterd Jones Moloney

EM: Martin Dunn Jetta

B - Whelan Martin Warnock

HB - Buckley Rivers Green

C - Morton McLean Davey

HF - Bate Garland Sylvia

F - Johnson Miller Wonaemirri

R - Spencer Moloney Jones

Bench - Maric McDonald Petterd Grimes

Emergencies

Dunn Newton Frawley

C - Morton McLean Davey

HF - Bate Garland Sylvia

Emergencies

Dunn Newton Frawley

No Bluey Truscott?

FB: Garland Warnock Martin

HB: Petterd Rivers Grimes

C: Morton Moloney Green

HF: Sylvia Bate Davey

FF: Wonaeamirri Miller Jetta

Foll: Spencer McDonald McLean

Int: Johnson Bruce Buckley Petterd

Emergency: Cheney Newton Jetta

Unlucky : Frawley, Bartram, Jones, Bennel, Bail, Dunn

C - Morton McLean Davey

HF - Bate Garland Sylvia

Emergencies

Dunn Newton Frawley

Your onto something YM.

Your onto something YM.

not neccisarily. garland hasnt played here all pre season and has hardly spent any time up there. he is a really really good defender. you dont see matt scarlett and dustin fletcher at chf too often.

IMO the most likely 22 for Round 1...

B: Garland, Martin, Warnock

HB: Bruce, Frawley, Grimes

C: Morton, McLean, Buckley

HF: Petterd, Miller, Davey

F: Wonaeamirri, Bate, Green

FOLL: Johnson, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Spencer, Rivers, Sylvia, Bartram

Emerg: Dunn Cheney Jetta

Cheney, from all reports, has been consistently good playing in every PS match so far, and has probably earnt his debut, though i feel he may be the unlucky 23rd player. Jetta's debut probably isnt far off either, especially should Davey and/or Wona be under injury-clouds.

Just for something different given our plethora of tall defenders, all of whom are in top form, AND for the sake of team balance, I wouldn't mind seeing Rivers rotating off the bench thru the forward line as a floating 3rd tall. I know he hasn't played there much or trained with the forward group in the pre-season but, given our non-existent forward line, Jared's natural talent and marking ability, and the fact that Warnock, Martin and Frawley all seem to be ahead of him in terms of fitness and form down back thus far, it might well be worth a crack. Many have suggested Garland up forward, especially considering his junior career as a FF, but i just can't see Bailey doing the old 'chop and change' to him now at this stage of his development, given the rich form he is in and how rapidly he is growing into an elite defender. Thoughts?

EDIT: I forgot Jones. Personally, i don't think i can find a spot for him (maybe in for Petterd), but i've no doubt he'll be in the side for round 1.

Assuming Whelan and Wheatley are unavailable

B: Frawley Warnock Bartram

HB: Garland Rivers Grimes

C: Buckley McLean Green

HF: Morton Miller Davey

F: Johnson Bate Sylvia

Foll: Spencer Bruce

Rov: McDonald

I/c: Wonaeamirri Petterd Jones Moloney

EM: Martin Dunn Jetta

This is close to what I think will happen.

Here is mine anyway:

B:- Grimes: a certain starter in my eyes. We need his accuracy and run out of defense. Warnock: Picks himself. Martin will be unlucky to miss but I don't see a need for him. Garland: Could play anywhere but he will play down back for most of the year I think.

HB:-Frawley: Plays on talls and smalls. Great pace and carry. Easy selection. Rivers: Underdone but still integral. When fit he is a league leader in marking from opposition kicks. Cheney: With Whelan NA I think he will get a go. Hard as granite and makes very few errors.

C:- Moloney: Looks so motivated at the moment. A genuine vocal leader on the ground. Jones: Came to form at the right time. A workhorse who I think is figuring out how to be more effective. Green: Starts on a wing and plays a kick behind.

HF:- Buckley: We need his pace and dare. Will be better suited to the G. Miller: A natural running forward who plays well at the G. We need his size and agro. Bruce: Could play anywhere but if our midfield allows I think we will see him push forward more often.

FF:- Petterd: A natural forward who finds front position. Love his desperation in the forward line. Bate: Will start foward and push up to the wings. Could be a damaging leading forward. Davey: Picks himself. Seems to be ready for a better year after a couple of average ones. He is in the same boat as Bruce, if we don't need him in the midfield so much he will make us a vastly more dangerous team.

R:- Johnson: Easy choice. Will try as hard as anyone. Will be tried forward often from reports. McLean: Rawlings will sit on him, hopefully giving someone else a chance to step up. McDonald: Im hoping he takes Boomer. His tackling and hardness will be huge against the workmen like Kangas.

IC:- Morton: Will start on the bench but finish full of run. A huge star in the making. Sylvia: A marking target who until last week was a certain starter. I predict big things from Col. Wona: If fit he will play. A quality player and someone opposition clubs mark hard. Spencer: Will need all his aggression to counter the Kangas rucks.

Unlucky:

Newton: I thought he OK on saturday. The conditions didnt suit but he tried. He still turns like he is on skates.

Dunn/Bartram: I am almost certain at least one of these guys will play to negate Wells or the like. I am just not sure who they will replace.

Bennell: Most impressive 1st year player I have seen.

Jetta: If Wona or Davey struggle to come up I think he will debut.

Martin: I rate him but I don't see who he will go to. Lacks the versatility of Frawley or Garland and not as effective as Warnock who I assume will take Hale.

Injured or NA:

Watts, Maric, Bell, Robertson, McNamara, Wheatley, Jamar and Whelan

Cheney Warnock Garland

Buckley Frawley Rivers

Morton McLean Green

Bruce Miller Davey

Wonaeamirri Bate Sylvia

Spencer McDonald Jones

I/C Johnson Moloney Petterd Bartram

New: Cheney

I'd have Jetta in my team, but I think he'll just miss.

EDIT: out Grimes (inj) in Buckley

Cheney Warnock Garland

Grimes Frawley Rivers

Morton McLean Green

Bruce Miller Davey

Wonaeamirri Bate Sylvia

Spencer McDonald Jones

I/C Johnson Moloney Petterd Bartram

New: Cheney, Jetta

It seems that we have a genuine problem with the backline at the moment, except for once we aren't scrapping the bottom of a [censored] barrel to try and get a backline together, but rather we're contemplating who to leave out! It's a nice problem to have, but a problem none the less.

The logical idea would be to play one of the backline talls as a forward. The other issue is that we need a good balance of talls and smalls, and if we play all of Rivers, Garland, Warnock, Martin, Frawley, Miller, Bate, PJ and Spencer we're likely to run out of legs.

I wouldn't mind giving Martin a go up forward, simply because it seems unfair to leave him out and will do nothing for his future development. I'd leave Sylvia out and play Martin as a forward. I know they are both different type of players who bring different things to the table, but Sylvia should earn his spot, and Martin as far as I'm concerned, already has. It's not as if Sylvia makes our forwardline any less problematic. Who knows, Martin might.

This is close to what I think will happen.

Here is mine anyway:

B:- Grimes: a certain starter in my eyes. We need his accuracy and run out of defense. Warnock: Picks himself. Martin will be unlucky to miss but I don't see a need for him. Garland: Could play anywhere but he will play down back for most of the year I think.

HB:-Frawley: Plays on talls and smalls. Great pace and carry. Easy selection. Rivers: Underdone but still integral. When fit he is a league leader in marking from opposition kicks. Cheney: With Whelan NA I think he will get a go. Hard as granite and makes very few errors.

C:- Moloney: Looks so motivated at the moment. A genuine vocal leader on the ground. Jones: Came to form at the right time. A workhorse who I think is figuring out how to be more effective. Green: Starts on a wing and plays a kick behind.

HF:- Buckley: We need his pace and dare. Will be better suited to the G. Miller: A natural running forward who plays well at the G. We need his size and agro. Bruce: Could play anywhere but if our midfield allows I think we will see him push forward more often.

FF:- Petterd: A natural forward who finds front position. Love his desperation in the forward line. Bate: Will start foward and push up to the wings. Could be a damaging leading forward. Davey: Picks himself. Seems to be ready for a better year after a couple of average ones. He is in the same boat as Bruce, if we don't need him in the midfield so much he will make us a vastly more dangerous team.

R:- Johnson: Easy choice. Will try as hard as anyone. Will be tried forward often from reports. McLean: Rawlings will sit on him, hopefully giving someone else a chance to step up. McDonald: Im hoping he takes Boomer. His tackling and hardness will be huge against the workmen like Kangas.

IC:- Morton: Will start on the bench but finish full of run. A huge star in the making. Sylvia: A marking target who until last week was a certain starter. I predict big things from Col. Wona: If fit he will play. A quality player and someone opposition clubs mark hard. Spencer: Will need all his aggression to counter the Kangas rucks.

Unlucky:

Newton: I thought he OK on saturday. The conditions didnt suit but he tried. He still turns like he is on skates.

Dunn/Bartram: I am almost certain at least one of these guys will play to negate Wells or the like. I am just not sure who they will replace.

Bennell: Most impressive 1st year player I have seen.

Jetta: If Wona or Davey struggle to come up I think he will debut.

Martin: I rate him but I don't see who he will go to. Lacks the versatility of Frawley or Garland and not as effective as Warnock who I assume will take Hale.

Injured or NA:

Watts, Maric, Bell, Robertson, McNamara, Wheatley, Jamar and Whelan

gee...somebody has too much time on their hands <_<

There's absolutely no way Maric will play round 1 given the lack of games and preparation he's had in the pre season thus far. I wouldn't be expecting him to start challenging for a spot until Round 3 onwards, at the earliest.

There's absolutely no way Maric will play round 1 given the lack of games and preparation he's had in the pre season thus far. I wouldn't be expecting him to start challenging for a spot until Round 3 onwards, at the earliest.

Correct. Maric is in my best team, but he won't play Rd 1.

I wouldn't mind giving Martin a go up forward, simply because it seems unfair to leave him out and will do nothing for his future development.

I understand what you're saying, but for balance Martin misses. Martin hasn't trialled in the forward-line all season, so they're not about to pick him as a forward in Rd 1, and nor should they. He'll get his opportunities.

And don't give me the 'fair line'. It's not about 'fair'. Every player reckons they deserve a spot. And there's a small matter of a game to win.

Martin will be unlucky to miss but I don't see a need for him.

Consider this, the Kangaroos have Hale (201 cm) who will most probably start up forward for them and also Petrie (197 cm) who is CHF/FF material. After Martin (198 cm) our next tallest defender is Frawley (193 cm). If you don't see a need for Martin in this game then I don't think you are looking hard enough.

Also the Kangas have some nimble small forwards in Campbell (174 cm) and Thomas (181 cm). Cheney (184 cm) is looking like a good match up for one of these two so I agree with you there.

As far as Rivers is concerned I think they would be mad to throw him straight into a CHB roll after just one full practice game. To a greater extent it could be argued that Rivers is more suited to a third tall roll across half back to help spoil. This would also preserve his footy career IMO and possible releive Green from his roll where he has to come back to assist the defenders from time to time. As fantastic a player Rivers is, we have to remember that the guy is human and at 192 cm it can quite often be a huge task for him to dominate tall opponents. I think Martin at 198 cm is tailor made to take on a permanent roll at CHB rotating with FB depending on opposition teams.