FB: Cheney Warnock Martin

HB: Green Frawley Garland

W:Buckley Mclean Morton

HF:Davey Miller Petterd

FF: Jetta Bate Sylvia

RR: Spencer Bruce McDonald

I: Johnson Jones Moloney Bartram

Em: Bennell Newton Dunn

NB: After watching yesterday I would want to see more from Rivers, Wonna and Maric before they are promoted.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason that people have Cheney in at the expense of Bennell is that Cheney is ahead in physical development. Bennell's body is a little underdone, whilst Cheney has shone this preseaon. There's little doubt Bennell will be a very good player, but Jetta is slightly ahead in a 'ready to go' scenario out of the two - albeit different positions.

Yeah, I understand that. He didn't seem that underdone to me, and I'd play Bennell this week. But I think Cheney is more likely to get a run than Jamie is.

Frawley will definately play.

Martin has spent the entire preseason practising every drill as a backman. Every discussion or meeting he's been involved in has been as a backman. Every set play and zone setup has been as a backman. Drill after drill after drill. He's not about to be picked to play round 1 in the forward line.

For starters, this is how I'd line the team up if I was coach, not how I think they will line up.

Secondly, all our 5 key defenders would've trained all summer in the defenders group. They all can't play every week, yet they're probably all deserving of a regular game each week. So something has to give doesn't it?

Thirdly in your side you've selected 4 talls in a top heavy backline, and left Martin out of the side. So what's wrong with throwing him forward? It's not like we have a great forward line that's hard to break into. It's something I'd like to see tried, that's all I'm saying.

Frawley will definately play.

For mine Stef has shown a heap more potential than Frawley has. Are people pushing him just because Frawley was a 1st round pick, and Martin was taken in the PSD?

For team balance, I can't see all 5 playing, especially if one of them doesn't play forward. We'll run out of legs if they all play.

People need to consider that both Frawley and Garland can play on smalls as well as talls and therefore hold no issue being played with Martin and Warnock and also with Rivers when he is ready.

Frawley's preseason form has been fantastic and he will definitely play round 1. This has nothing to do with his draft standing but purely on what he has shown.

Yeah, I understand that. He didn't seem that underdone to me, and I'd play Bennell this week. But I think Cheney is more likely to get a run than Jamie is.

For starters, this is how I'd line the team up if I was coach, not how I think they will line up.

Secondly, all our 5 key defenders would've trained all summer in the defenders group. They all can't play every week, yet they're probably all deserving of a regular game each week. So something has to give doesn't it?

Thirdly in your side you've selected 4 talls in a top heavy backline, and left Martin out of the side. So what's wrong with throwing him forward? It's not like we have a great forward line that's hard to break into. It's something I'd like to see tried, that's all I'm saying.

For mine Stef has shown a heap more potential than Frawley has. Are people pushing him just because Frawley was a 1st round pick, and Martin was taken in the PSD?

For team balance, I can't see all 5 playing, especially if one of them doesn't play forward. We'll run out of legs if they all play.

Garland is just as adept on a small as a tall. He's fast, agile, and excels with quality judgment. He's hardly cumbersome and nor does he contribute in any way to a "top heavy" backline. In fact, a Demonlander poster not too long ago stated that Garland had told him he'd be taking smalls this year and leaving talls to others. Frawley also has pace, so I don't see my backline as top heavy.

I can only assume that you didn't venture out to Casey for the intraclub match a few weeks ago, or the Melb v Sydney match at Vi$y. If you had you'd understand why Frawley is in the team. He was also very good against the Hawks in Tassie. He's just a very different player to last year. He's also been named by club officials as having had the standout preseason along with Cheney.

Yes, something has to give, which is why Martin doesn't make my team. It's quite possible that Rivers won't be included because he's underdone, but if he is I'll be fascinated how the defence lines up.

And yes (x2), I understand it's what you'd do as coach and not how you think they'll line up, but no coach would train a player all summer as a defender only to pick him as a forward for round 1. So it makes sense to pick a team based on a modicum of reality.

i still recon one of garland or martin should have a crack up forward.

Garland had junior forward history as i herd during a game we dennis cometty said he kicked i think 10 goals in a match in under 18s.

Also martin verry quick great accelration good hight and great leap. Very was a good basketbaler if that says anything.

i still recon one of garland or martin should have a crack up forward.

Garland had junior forward history as i herd during a game we dennis cometty said he kicked i think 10 goals in a match in under 18s.

Also martin verry quick great accelration good hight and great leap. Very was a good basketbaler if that says anything.

And you'd do this in round 1 ?

B: Frawley Warnock Martin

HB: Buckley Rivers Garland

C: Morton McLean Bruce

HF: Davey Miller Green

F: Wonna Bate Sylvia

R: Spencer Jones McDonald

Int: Petterd, Bell, Johnson, Moloney

EMG: Jetta, Maric, Bartram.

B: Frawley Warnock Martin

HB: Buckley Rivers Garland

C: Morton McLean Bruce

HF: Davey Miller Green

F: Wonna Bate Sylvia

R: Spencer Jones McDonald

Int: Petterd, Bell, Johnson, Moloney

EMG: Jetta, Maric, Bartram.

Bell is out injured.

Hes a crap footballer.

Grow up YM...

Bell Broke his thumb against the Dogs at Casey will be out for a few weeks into the season.

Gippy

With the Kangaroos structure in mind my team would be

Bennell Martin Warnock

Buckley Rivers Garland

Morton Mclean Davey

Sylvia Miller Green

Jetta Bate PJ

Spencer McDonald Bruce

Petterd, Frawley, Jones, Bartram

The two boys from Bunbury debut together, toss up betwen Moloney and Bartram but I choose Bartram as a defensive midfielder that can run with Harvey and with Moloney in the team we have a very one paced midfield. Give Aussie another week no point rushing him.

Cheney Martin Warnock

Batram Garland Frawley

Green Moloney Bruce

Morton Miller Davey

Newton Bate Sylvia

Johnson, McDonald, McLean

(Jones Spencer Dunn Petterd)

Not exactly the team I would play, but the team I think will be picked.

We all know Spencer will debut but I really think Cheney will be thrown in from the start which is great for the kid in second year.

Sylvia might be preferred to Jetta, but I'm not inside Bailey's head.

Buckley for Dunn also.

Newton might make way too but who knows.

Pretty sure about the other 19 though.

B: Whelan Warnock Bartram

HB: Martin Frawley Green

C: Morton McLean Buckley

HF: Petterd Miller Bruce

F: Jetta Bate Garland

Foll: Johnson McDonald Moloney

Int: Spencer, Aussie, Davey, Jones

Emg: Rivers, Sylvia, Cheney, Dunn

I would think one of Aussie or Davey might miss due to injury or being a little under done. Rivers or Cheney would come in for one of those. I suspect Cheney. Rivers needs to play full games at Casey.

Garland to go forward. Will take everybody by surprise.

Dunn could be included to play on Harvey!

I certainly couldn't see Frawley (or Garland for that matter) playing on Lindsay Thomas or Matt Campbell. They're far too fast.

I am expecting that Garland will play on Thomas. Frawley will not play on Campbell but will play on more a flanker than a KPF ie: Corey Jones. My point is just because they are tall enough to play key position does not mean they lack flexibility and must play on key position forwards.

I am expecting that Garland will play on Thomas. Frawley will not play on Campbell but will play on more a flanker than a KPF ie: Corey Jones. My point is just because they are tall enough to play key position does not mean they lack flexibility and must play on key position forwards.

To add to this, quote from DB on Stef Martin in the Melbourne FC publication:

"Stef is very, very quick....... At 200cm he can certainly play on the smaller players around the mid 180cms because he has got great agility.

this is where we miss Whelan, but saying that i think we have a very good fill in for him in Cheney. I like the look of this guy