Colin Sylvia- Complaints, Congratulations and Comments

Don24

Schtacker:

I agree with your post. The facts are, sylvia is among the best players on our list period. Im sure some of the col bashers wont admit it, but the reason why he attracts the ire of melbourne supporters more than the bells, bartrams etc is because he IS so damn talented and we all dream of the player he COULD become. The bells and bartrams will never reach the level of stardom that the melbourne footy club has been yearning for, and that sylvia has the potential to.

I know its been done to the death, but OP is seriously a debilitating injury. Ive had it myself and it ruined 3-4 years of my football - your mind is telling your body to go 100% and get to the contest, but in reality you look to others that are watching as if you're running backwards. Then once you get the pill, you've got ZERO power in your core to accellerate etc. Your decision making then goes out the window, and your confidence. Im not trying to be sanctimonious, but ive got no doubt thats what sylvia's been experiencing the past 4 -5 years. Even once you get rid of it, OP still lingers and causes ancillary problems - hips, abdominals etc.

You can get forget about becoming a midfielder with it - this coupled with his marking strength and our complete dearth of forwards have resulted in him playing the medium forward role, and everyone seems to despite col for it simply because we all think he should be an elite midfielder, and that its a cop out for him to play that nomadic forward/utility role.

His got all the tools - skills, size, speed, marking, aggression and arrogance (YES arrogance, look at the akermanis', the voss', the richos') if he stays injury free and puts it all together, he could become the genuine superstar we all hoped. If he doesnt, he'll still be a very handy player.

This talk of him being 'just' a player - rubbish. Just lay off him and hope that he stays healthy and puts it all together.

Benny, that's about the most spot on post I've ever read on Demonland.

I'm with you 100% mate.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Watts and Robbo were ready to go he wouldn't be getting a game in my best 22. He's apparently had a good pre season and has still shown very little he's still not fit enough to play in the midfield. As a forward he hasn't done any more than even Newton. Both were awful against the Hawks, Sylvia was our best against the Swans and Newton was our best against the Lions according to the papers. Against the Dogs they should both play in the square and whoever performs better plays RND1 and the other plays at Casey that's where I see Sylvia as a fringe when he should be a lot better.

Neither Rivers nor Sylvia were thrown into the deep end.

Rivers had his first game toward the end of his first season. He then played AFL regularly in his second year in 2004. Nothing unusual about that and his occurrence of OP had nothing to do with his conditioning program for AFL.

Sylvia was struck with OP in his draft year. He has been on a modified program ever since he has been at MFC up to 2007. I understand he did do a full pre season and full training in 2008. His lack of footy smarts has nothing to do with his OP.

Rhino you are not really seeing the true picture here.

Rivers came to the club with injury problems and started playing right away for sandy, Sylvia the same, he had OP and they kept playing him for sandy. Both players could probably used that first year to just recover properly and build up some core strength so that they would be able to withstand AFL football. Its easy to say it now but obviously more care would have benefited them but like i said, when you have talented kids it would be hard not to play them. Hence i respect the way Baily is looking after Watts and Blease.

Thanks for the misguided revisionism.

Whatever problems Rivers had when he joined MFC, if indeed he did have injuries, were not OP related.

Sylvia came to Melbourne with OP in already in case. He was not played as a result and indeed hardly played in his first couple of years.

Guest Schtacker
If Watts and Robbo were ready to go he wouldn't be getting a game in my best 22. He's apparently had a good pre season and has still shown very little he's still not fit enough to play in the midfield. As a forward he hasn't done any more than even Newton. Both were awful against the Hawks, Sylvia was our best against the Swans and Newton was our best against the Lions according to the papers. Against the Dogs they should both play in the square and whoever performs better plays RND1 and the other plays at Casey that's where I see Sylvia as a fringe when he should be a lot better.

what a load of laughable piddle - in claiming Newton has done more than Sylvia you have proven my point: Sylvia has done TEN TIMES as much as Newton has, but in the eyes of the ignorant supporter they are 'about even' because CS's contributions don't count for as much because he was a pick 3. Astonishing. It was the same as TJ, some say he was a failure, a waste of talent etc but he was automatic best-22 for years and had several excellent years including a B+F and 4th in the brownlow - but because he was pick 1 he doesn't get full credit. The tiny brains on some of you are rather disconcerting.

Guest Schtacker
Benny, that's about the most spot on post I've ever read on Demonland.

I'm with you 100% mate.

Yes well said Benny

We will enjoy bumping this thread later in the year

what a load of laughable piddle - in claiming Newton has done more than Sylvia you have proven my point: Sylvia has done TEN TIMES as much as Newton has, but in the eyes of the ignorant supporter they are 'about even' because CS's contributions don't count for as much because he was a pick 3. Astonishing. It was the same as TJ, some say he was a failure, a waste of talent etc but he was automatic best-22 for years and had several excellent years including a B+F and 4th in the brownlow - but because he was pick 1 he doesn't get full credit. The tiny brains on some of you are rather disconcerting.

TJ was a waste of talent. IMO for pure talent he is in the top ten players of the comp but he wouldn't even go close to top 50 best players. Not meeting your potential is a waste of talent.

As for Col, a handy bit player. Anything more would be nice.

Thanks for the misguided revisionism.

Whatever problems Rivers had when he joined MFC, if indeed he did have injuries, were not OP related.

Sylvia came to Melbourne with OP in already in case. He was not played as a result and indeed hardly played in his first couple of years.

Rhino you must not read very well. I never said Rivers had OP problems when he came to the club, he did have injury problems though, shoulder and something else, i forget now, anyway he did not play much footy the year before he was drafted which was why he probably fell to us at 26 or whatever number he was taken. And i am not saying these injuries or Sylvias OP was a result of melbourne over playing him, my point was they may have recovered better and built up a stronger core strength by being nursed and rested more during their firt 2 seasons just like Watts and Blease are at the moment. But alas they were played a lot albeit at VFL level and 5 years later are still fighting to overcome nagging injuries. I have NO DOUBT that these two cases in particular have led to the current stance on the young kids.

Rhino you must not read very well. I never said Rivers had OP problems when he came to the club, he did have injury problems though, shoulder and something else, i forget now, anyway he did not play much footy the year before he was drafted which was why he probably fell to us at 26 or whatever number he was taken. And i am not saying these injuries or Sylvias OP was a result of melbourne over playing him, my point was they may have recovered better and built up a stronger core strength by being nursed and rested more during their firt 2 seasons just like Watts and Blease are at the moment. But alas they were played a lot albeit at VFL level and 5 years later are still fighting to overcome nagging injuries. I have NO DOUBT that these two cases in particular have led to the current stance on the young kids.

You may have on doubt but you have not established anything more than a consequential link.

The silly thing is that Sylvia was nursed through his first four years at MFC and not overplayed. And the Rivers injuries that he had before he joined are not connected to his OP so are not relevant given his past disposition.

Both Watts and Blease were taken as 17yos and would naturally be subject to some development. And we dont know how they are going to be used in their first two years at this point.

TJ was a waste of talent. IMO for pure talent he is in the top ten players of the comp but he wouldn't even go close to top 50 best players. Not meeting your potential is a waste of talent.

As for Col, a handy bit player. Anything more would be nice.

Absolutely spot on Jacey. At his peak TJ was there. He never delivered consistently.

Schtacker:

I agree with your post. The facts are, sylvia is among the best players on our list period. Im sure some of the col bashers wont admit it, but the reason why he attracts the ire of melbourne supporters more than the bells, bartrams etc is because he IS so damn talented and we all dream of the player he COULD become. The bells and bartrams will never reach the level of stardom that the melbourne footy club has been yearning for, and that sylvia has the potential to.

I know its been done to the death, but OP is seriously a debilitating injury. Ive had it myself and it ruined 3-4 years of my football - your mind is telling your body to go 100% and get to the contest, but in reality you look to others that are watching as if you're running backwards. Then once you get the pill, you've got ZERO power in your core to accellerate etc. Your decision making then goes out the window, and your confidence. Im not trying to be sanctimonious, but ive got no doubt thats what sylvia's been experiencing the past 4 -5 years. Even once you get rid of it, OP still lingers and causes ancillary problems - hips, abdominals etc.

You can get forget about becoming a midfielder with it - this coupled with his marking strength and our complete dearth of forwards have resulted in him playing the medium forward role, and everyone seems to despite col for it simply because we all think he should be an elite midfielder, and that its a cop out for him to play that nomadic forward/utility role.

His got all the tools - skills, size, speed, marking, aggression and arrogance (YES arrogance, look at the akermanis', the voss', the richos') if he stays injury free and puts it all together, he could become the genuine superstar we all hoped. If he doesnt, he'll still be a very handy player.

This talk of him being 'just' a player - rubbish. Just lay off him and hope that he stays healthy and puts it all together.

Excuse Me I have been waiting SIX Years to see this incredible talent that you speak of. Some AFL players are wearing a premiership medallion by then! Sometimes 2. Sylvia has this season to prove his worth. He must play well for a full season. Otherwise.............

Excuse Me I have been waiting SIX Years to see this incredible talent that you speak of. Some AFL players are wearing a premiership medallion by then! Sometimes 2. Sylvia has this season to prove his worth. He must play well for a full season. Otherwise.............

And sometimes, players like Harvey play 20 years without one. If you're expecting Sylvia to bring us a premiership your sorely mistaken with his ability, although I would like to proven wrong

And sometimes, players like Harvey play 20 years without one. If you're expecting Sylvia to bring us a premiership your sorely mistaken with his ability, although I would like to proven wrong

I don't think he will that's my point. Potential talent & the real thing can be a long way apart.

• 1 month later...
And on the 03 draft:

Round Pick Player Recruited from Club

Who of the above, in hindsight, would you rather have chosen with pick 3?? MAYBE waters (although just a back flanker) stanton and adcock probably (although if they were pick 3's their supporters would probably still feel hard done by at this point), mundy MAYBE. Sam Fisher was an inspired choice at 55, as was Tuck at 73.

Anyone bar Kepler Bradley!

Schtacker:

Benny.....absolutely spot on!!!!!

When I watch him play, he looks to me like an athlete who still doesn't fully trust his body, and occasionally plays within himself as a result.

Talk of getting rid of him is farcical.

He is one of the few genuinely talented players on the list.

Firstly - Ive simply said that OP is debilitating and have no doubt that its played a large part in restricting his development. A large part, but not the only part.

Secondly - the fact that he was pick 3 changes nothing. If he was pick 78 I would still laud his talent and potential. I have not claimed anywhere, however, that he has delivered on that talent and potential yet. He clearly hasn't.

I have one Question to you....How can you laud Colin Sylvia's Talent when he is yet to show any in the last 6 years?

I have one Question to you....How can you laud Colin Sylvia's Talent when he is yet to show any in the last 6 years?

No talent........right okay.........so you have seen nothing in 6 years to indicate he has talent........is that right?

No talent........right okay.........so you have seen nothing in 6 years to indicate he has talent........is that right?

Correct i have already said that. Answer my Question. Give me a game where Colin Sylvia took it upon himself to impose the Great Melbourne Football Club on the opposition. Practise Games Don't Count btw.

Six years i have waited for the silky skills of the number 12. Show me where they are.....

God I'm so over seeing this topic bob up. He was even in MX today.

FACT Colin Sylvia has talent. If he didn't we wouldn't be so angry with him for not performing to his best ability.

FACT He has not shown that talent for a couple of years now.

FACT He seems to just not care too much about chasing and tackling.

FACT At pick three there was always a lot riding on his shoulders and expectation was high.

FACT He's probably got until the end of this year to prove he wants to play for this club.

FACT His confidence is down.

FACT Considering the other garbage on offer during the 2003 draft I think we did quite well.

FACT Every player goes through a down period. Some more than others. Colin is the latter.

FACT He hasn't been playing with a bunch of superstars the last couple years, lets face it. You're only as good as your team mates allow you to be.

CONCLUSION He's got until the end of the year. You know it, I know it, the media knows it, I'm sure he knows it. Until then, just drop it!

Other than that I doubt his confidence is ever down, and that I feel he showed his talent last year, pretty good post Riicky! Though, his "down period" seems to be his career

God I'm so over seeing this topic bob up. He was even in MX today.

FACT Colin Sylvia has talent. If he didn't we wouldn't be so angry with him for not performing to his best ability.

FACT He has not shown that talent for a couple of years now.

FACT He seems to just not care too much about chasing and tackling.

FACT At pick three there was always a lot riding on his shoulders and expectation was high.

FACT He's probably got until the end of this year to prove he wants to play for this club.

FACT His confidence is down.

FACT Considering the other garbage on offer during the 2003 draft I think we did quite well.

FACT Every player goes through a down period. Some more than others. Colin is the latter.

FACT He hasn't been playing with a bunch of superstars the last couple years, lets face it. You're only as good as your team mates allow you to be.

CONCLUSION He's got until the end of the year. You know it, I know it, the media knows it, I'm sure he knows it. Until then, just drop it!

Good Reply leave until end of year.

This is the only FACT with any truth to it. The rest of your "FACTS" are a mix of fiction, floss and irrelevance. There is no one else responsible for Col's output than Col.

This is the only FACT with any truth to it. The rest of your "FACTS" are a mix of fiction, floss and irrelevance. There is no one else responsible for Col's output than Col.

When was he drafted RR, what....... 5 years ago?.

Of course there are others responsible and they are the people, over that time, charged with the duty to manage the list appropriately. We are paying the price for that list management...or lack of it, right now.

Apologies if this has been covered on another thread I may have overlooked, but I have been away on business. It was interesting to listen to Mark Robinson last night on SEN, discussing the Burgoyne/Davey incident. Robinson commented that the Burgoyne incident was a low act, but what was worse was that after it happened, not one Demon player flew the flag to defend Flash.

What was lacking was that no steel or resolve was demonstrated as a result. Colin Sylvia epitomises that lack of steel and that is why he will never deliver what his high draft selection suggests he should have.

List managers should be able to identify that lack of a character trait and move on it sooner rather than later. I suggest it is way too late now.

at the end of the day only YOU are responsible for YOUR actions.

All of Col's dillemmas are purely of Cols' making...and any plaudits would also be his...just he has none !!