2009.. The Revolution begins..

Tolstoys Nudge

Well, here we go..

This is the season to begin the demon era of hope..

Agter carefully watching as much training as I can, and including what I saw on saturday, I have finally comep up with my best 22, thats, Best 22, not my round 1 team, 2 quite differant things..

It has been a truly excellent pre-season for the boys in red & blue, the best ive ever seen in the last 10-12 years..

SO 2009 I feel will bring alot of excitement, with some Hot patches, with also the to be expected bad patches.

But overall, I see a bright future as im sure we all do, infact, I cant ever remember a time I have been so excited about a playing group as I am right now.

Positives:

* We are the youngest side in the competition by some way.

* We have the least exp. side by some way (games played)

* Our disposal has improved remarkably, I cant believe how much it has come along as compared with last year

* The club is finally in good hands

* We finally have a home, (Casey) many underestimate hte im portance this has, its HUGE!

* Coaching/game plan: Our team is in excellent hands, many around the AFL traps have been saying that our coaching staff is perhaps the most prepared around the league, a number of people commenting on how they love our new gameplan and the fact that our squad is really responding, and taking shape to the game plan.

* STAR potential: For the 1st time I can remember, we finally have some kids who could be geniune stars in the AFl, Cale Morton has a really star factor, who I think by the end of the year, could be rated as the best under 20 prospect around. One AFL coach has said last week that he has the look and potential to be a geniune superstar. Colin Garland is another who coulkd have jaws dropping, along with Mclean & Davey, we finally have some real geniune chances for greatness.

Then there is A bloke named Jack who awaits, but PLEASE, be PATIENT!

Here is my best 22 (sure to be scrutinized and torn apart :)

B: Garland Warnock Whelan

HB: Buckley Rivers Mcdonald©

C: Davey Green Morton

HF: Bate Miller Bruce

F: Wonaemirri Robertson Sylvia

R: Johnson Mclean Jones

INT: Grimes Moloney Maric Martin

EMERG: Valenti Petterd Wheatley

NEXT 5: Jamar Bartram Jetta Watts Dunn

The good news it, its very hard!!

ALways a good sign!

The forward line is without doubt the weakness, But Watts will pop in for a few glimpses and bynext year be a permanent fixture. Bate will play a much more prominent role, and be the real CHF target with Miller around the 30-40m mark and Robbo Deep. Sylvia will also be important in the roaming in & out role.

Bruce I expect to play alot more up forward in a pinch hitter role.

Jetta will be the bolter IMO from this years draftees.

Morton to really break out, Maric & grimes to really cement spots.

The other issue is the back up ruckman. Martin mnay fill in a little, if the match ups down back allow. Meeson definately has the potential, but needs to be more aggressive and create more contests, Spencer is one to watch. Jamar will play his part, but hopefully someone can cement the job.

Wheatley will play the year, by by years end no longer be in best 22 calculations with the development of Petterd, Maric, Grimes and CO.

Garland, Mclean & Davey potential AA if things go very well!

In summary, 2009 is going to be a ride, overall, an exciting one!

GO DEES!

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

As that shampoo ad said: "It won't happen over night, but it will happen". We have a lot of kids that have to play 100+ game roles at the moment and aren't doing that bad a job. We also have some good players that have struggled with injuries and haven't had a chance to shine. Add that to a real training facility and some pro-active coaching and why shouldn't we be chasing what is rightfully ours in a couple of years - the grand old flag!

B: Garland Warnock Whelan

HB: Buckley Rivers Mcdonald©

C: Davey Green Morton

HF: Bate Miller Bruce

F: Wonaemirri Robertson Sylvia

R: Johnson Mclean Jones

INT: Grimes Moloney Maric Martin

EMERG: Valenti Petterd Wheatley

NEXT 5: Jamar Bartram Jetta Watts Dunn

Is Martin in your side as a defender or a ruckman?

Glad you omitted all of Bartam, Bell and Dunn. Neither are best 22 IMO.

For what it is worth...

Backs: Garland, Warnock, Whelan

Half backs: Petterd, Martin, Rivers

Centres: Moloney, McLean, Sylvia

Half forwards: Davey, Johnson, Green

Forwards: Robertson, Miller, Wonaeamirri

Followers: Jamar, Bruce, McDonald

Interchange: Bate, Buckley, Jones, Wheatley

Emergencies: Grimes, Maric, Morton

Interesting.

As that shampoo ad said: "It won't happen over night, but it will happen". We have a lot of kids that have to play 100+ game roles at the moment and aren't doing that bad a job. We also have some good players that have struggled with injuries and haven't had a chance to shine. Add that to a real training facility and some pro-active coaching and why shouldn't we be chasing what is rightfully ours in a couple of years - the grand old flag!

Agree. We are expecting a lot from kids that are still just starting out and at other AFL clubs wouldnt have played nearly as big a roll. Nathan Jones is the prime example of this. Give him a chance with a fit midfield around him. Don't forget how good he was in 2007 and the end of 2006. Two rising star nominations, third in the 2007 rising star and second in our clubs best and fairest to JMAC.

The thing is, even in some peoples best 22, there are people that have played less than 10 games (some who have played 1 or none, yet we have very high expectations). Patience is the key with such a yound and raw list.

Is Martin in your side as a defender or a ruckman?

Glad you omitted all of Bartam, Bell and Dunn. Neither are best 22 IMO.

For what it is worth...

Well done Gouga, Dunn is an average player without any real strong atributes. When he played as a forward, he had no intensity at the contest and as a tagger I'm not convinced he's made of the right stuff to fulfill it properly either. Bell and Bartram both torch the footy ad-nausiem, worse than any others in the league. All 3 are the honest types, but we need more than that if we are to improve, Daniher was big on riding the battler (Brown, Godfrey, McDonald) which is great to see, but as the evidence shows always leaves you wanting.

Just to add to the argument:

B: Garland, Warnock, Whelan

HB: Petterd, Martin, Rivers

C: Moloney, McLean, Morton

HF: Davey, Miller, Bate

F: Green, Robertson, Woneamirri

R: Johnson, Bruce, McDonald

Int: Jones, Jamar, Wheatley, Sylvia

Emg: Buckley, Grimes, Maric

Interesting.

Morton probably played more football than planned last year due to injury to others. I actually think he'll play less this year. Due to body size / inexperience probably not quite best 22 at this stage (when picking from a full squad) but not far off.

I have high hopes like everyone else that he'll be a champion.

Dunn is an average player without any real strong atributes.

Agree Paul. It is sad that in a side crying out for a key forward we are re-engineering a player who is 192 cm, built like a brick sh!thouse and recruited to play as a forward to become a tagger.

Any player with a half decent tank can be a tagger.

Of our 2004 draft group (Bate, Dunn, Newton) recruited to fix of forward line problem we are 0.5/3 (Bate gets half a mark).

Agree Paul. It is sad that in a side crying out for a key forward we are re-engineering a player who is 192 cm, built like a brick sh!thouse and recruited to play as a forward to become a tagger.

Any player with a half decent tank can be a tagger.

Of our 2004 draft group (Bate, Dunn, Newton) recruited to fix of forward line problem we are 0.5/3 (Bate gets half a mark).

Ditto, Dunn cannot take the ball above his head which somewhat limits his ability to play as a key or even back up forward.

Surprised at the disclusion of Petterd in many sides. IMO an injury free Petterd will be best 22. He has gone along quietly but I expect him to make an impact this year.

Surprised at the disclusion of Petterd in many sides. IMO an injury free Petterd will be best 22. He has gone along quietly but I expect him to make an impact this year.

Petterd can read the play, makes good decisions and has good skills. That definitely puts him in the best 22 at our club.

We are in the happy position of having 5 key backs who probably could all play. I've always been a huge Frawley fan and believed those who criticised him were expecting too much too soon. He's had a great PS and looked very good on Saturday. Warnock is a solid back who will stick close but not offer much else. Martin is huge and has amazing closing speed and good strenght. Garland is probably first picked but interestingly has the versitility to play on smalls.

And then we have Rivers. Almost everyone has Rivers in the team despite having not had an impact on a game for the last two years in his grand total of 9 games. For mine he's fifth in line and we have built him up into a player he rarely, if ever, was. Rivers needs to show over the next 4 weeks or so he can still play, both physically (by staying out there) and skillfully (having the attributes to deserve a place). The game has changed significantly in the two years he hasn't played and not in his favour.

His situation has changed dramatically. Last year I would have said he was in our top 3 most important players, but with Warnock, Garland and Martin doing so well last year and the emergance of Frawley, Rivers now needs to earn his spot. I think he can but Saturday was a bad start. If our first game of the season was on Saturday Rivers would not be in my team.

We are in the happy position of having 5 key backs who probably could all play. I've always been a huge Frawley fan and believed those who criticised him were expecting too much too soon. He's had a great PS and looked very good on Saturday. Warnock is a solid back who will stick close but not offer much else. Martin is huge and has amazing closing speed and good strenght. Garland is probably first picked but interestingly has the versitility to play on smalls.

And then we have Rivers. Almost everyone has Rivers in the team despite having not had an impact on a game for the last two years in his grand total of 9 games. For mine he's fifth in line and we have built him up into a player he rarely, if ever, was. Rivers needs to show over the next 4 weeks or so he can still play, both physically (by staying out there) and skillfully (having the attributes to deserve a place). The game has changed significantly in the two years he hasn't played and not in his favour.

His situation has changed dramatically. Last year I would have said he was in our top 3 most important players, but with Warnock, Garland and Martin doing so well last year and the emergance of Frawley, Rivers now needs to earn his spot. I think he can but Saturday was a bad start. If our first game of the season was on Saturday Rivers would not be in my team.

You make some good points.

In the modern game, it's equally important for the backmen to generate attack, as it is to stop their opponent. For mine, we only need 2 key backmen in our starting 22, and 4 players who can play rebound football. In addition to the back 6, you'd have 1 mid who is capable of playing the quarterback role.

Garland would be the only certain starter amongst the key backs. My backline set-up depending on the opposition key forwards, would be as follows:

Whelan Garland Davey

Petterd Rivers/Martin Wheatley

Quarterback role - Green

I'd like to see Davey given a role similar to that of Johncock, Chris Johnson (Bris), Wirrapanda. Given that Wona and Maric could assume the small forward role, Davey is one of the few players on our list with the evasive skills and pace to run through the lines.

Quarterback role - Green

Agreed. This Luke Hodge role is becoming very important. Green will be a fantastic in this role as he showed last year. He is fantastic at reading the play, is a great mark, has much courage and is a magnificent kick to boot.

Morton probably played more football than planned last year due to injury to others. I actually think he'll play less this year. Due to body size / inexperience probably not quite best 22 at this stage (when picking from a full squad) but not far off.

I have high hopes like everyone else that he'll be a champion.

Morton selected himself for much of last season and his selection was not due to the absence of players like McLean.

His selection in the midfield only highlights the paucity of talent and skill we have there.

Given we have a 3rd world midfield, he is definitely best 22 and subject to fitness and form will be selected. I doubt whether we have a full squad or not has anything to do with it. Morton will only get better and other NQR players at MFC will fall by the wayside.

In a nutshell Phoenix...

I'd like to see Davey given a role similar to that of Johncock, Chris Johnson (Bris), Wirrapanda. Given that Wona and Maric could assume the small forward role, Davey is one of the few players on our list with the evasive skills and pace to run through the lines.

Lack of defensive skills and physical pressure will limit his role down back.

Petterd can read the play, makes good decisions and has good skills. That definitely puts him in the best 22 at our club.

He certainly knows how to get the ball but his disposal is questionable at times. He is a definite best 22 candidate though.

Lack of defensive skills and physical pressure will limit his role down back.

Re davey down back agree, but if we play a 1/4back position like hodge I could see davey fulfilling this role well at times as a player setting up play. I Still think he is best in the forward line with the odd run in the middle, not the other way around.

I'm really looking forward to the season, no expectations, but hope to see something that will indicate that we are not to far away from finals. Once again a development year so I would like to see this our our best 22

Whelan Martin McDonald

Garland Rivers Sylvia

Davey Mclean Morton

Green Miller Bate

Aussie Robbo Maric

Johnson Bruce Jones

Jamar Jetta Petterd Buckley

If you don't think we are going forward look at the team that missed out

Cheney Warnock Bartram

Wheatley Frawley Bell

Bail Moloney Grimes

Bennell Dunn Strauss

Newton Watts Jurrah

Spencer Blease Valenti

Meeson McNamara Hughes Zomer

Healey and McKenzie also

We have definately rebuilt our list, now time to improve and continue to improve.

Davey didn't seem to have any problems with physical defensive pressure when he was played as a forward. As for his one-on-one defensive skills, I believe that it's a risk/reward thing. We can continue to play someone like Bell in the backline, who is ok in a contest, but gives us nothing offensively, or we can play a creative player like Davey who might occasionally get touched up in a one-on-one marking contest.

One of Davey's tricks was his closing speed from behind when the defenders were trying to clear the ball. But Davey seems unable to lay effective head on tackles and as you have noted his one on one skills will be tested. Opposition coaches will be seeking to isolate Davey deep in defence, well up the ground and make him accountable to prevent his offensive play. Rather Bell I would play Pettard down back.

Preferably I would like Davey up forward as I dont think he wins enough ball or has the tank to do more than an odd cameo in the midfield.

We were statistically the worst team for inside 50's by a considerable margin last season, and playing proactive, attacking football is one way to address that. Our lack of inside 50's wasn't solely the blame of the midfield.

Playing Davey out of the BP will not make a third world midfield any better nor will it in itself lead to more inside 50s. Better use of the ball by each player will. PLayers were able to rack up the statistics but the decision making and execution lead to countless turnovers. I would be interested to hear your views on how we address the midfield issue as I am not sure we have any trump cards there at the moment.

PLayers were able to rack up the statistics but the decision making and execution lead to countless turnovers. I would be interested to hear your views on how we address the midfield issue as I am not sure we have any trump cards there at the moment.

Racking up possessions was a major part of our problem. Our 1st option in a clearance situation was always a handball to a stagnant player. When he's under pressure, he either handballs to another stagnant player or is dispossessed. That's fine if the receiving player has the ability of an Ablett, Kerr or Judd, who are able to evade or shrug a tackle and then accelerate from a standing position. Not one player on our list has this ability, which is why run and carry was the wrong option by Bailey.

If we are to play a possession game, it has to be done by kicking, not handballing. But you can only make this work if you've got a structured forward line, which we didn't. Our poor execution was as much to do with not having options as it was to poor kicking skills, and that comes down to structure. I've bagged Brad Miller for years, but I actually thought that he played well when moved closer to goal. The problem for all our forwards was that they were starved of opportunities.

What a load of rubbish.

The game hasn't changed. A few rules have changed and the way some teams choose to play has changed. That's now up there with "he bleeds red and blue" and "a Ryan O'Keefe type player".

This idea that Rivers now all o the sudden won't know what to do is just wrong. He may take a few weeks to adjust but if he can remain fit Rivers will be as good as ever.

He won the Rising Star in 2004 for a reason and when fit and firing would be one of the best five defenders in the competition.

Racking up possessions was a major part of our problem. Our 1st option in a clearance situation was always a handball to a stagnant player. When he's under pressure, he either handballs to another stagnant player or is dispossessed. That's fine if the receiving player has the ability of an Ablett, Kerr or Judd, who are able to evade or shrug a tackle and then accelerate from a standing position. Not one player on our list has this ability, which is why run and carry was the wrong option by Bailey.

We had possessions that did not count. I have no problem if the first disposal was a handball. Centre ruck duels are played predominantly within a tight space. It is inevitable that many contests will not result in a clear possession of the ball (unless a side is competing against MFC's rucks!) and that the ball will very often be contested. The problem with the midfield is too often we make the wrong decision by hand or foot and/or we execute with poor skill. BTW its not advisable to handball to a stationery player period regrdless of who you are. Often such action of passing to a stationery player smacks of desperation resulting from pressure on the ball carrier, inexperience or lack of skill.

A possession game of football is not the sole domain of the elite players. You are right we dont have the stars or the quality in our midfield which makes your alternate reason for our poor inside 50s a case of missing the wood for the trees.

So Mo, I will ask for the 43rd time.... what game plan would suit a young inexperienced, slow, one paced midfield with poor hand and foot skills?

If we are to play a possession game, it has to be done by kicking, not handballing. But you can only make this work if you've got a structured forward line, which we didn't. Our poor execution was as much to do with not having options as it was to poor kicking skills, and that comes down to structure. I've bagged Brad Miller for years, but I actually thought that he played well when moved closer to goal. The problem for all our forwards was that they were starved of opportunities.

If a MFC player cannot handball/kick a football to the requisite skill level for AFL then that player should go. And the stats from the leading sides show that most successful strategy involve an almost equal level of foot and hand disposals. We do have to improve the targets we have up forward. Miller was good but if we are lauding him as our option up forward we are going to have some tough days. Bate, Dunn, Sylvia, Morton will all need to provide options up forward. Ultimately I hope Watts will be our saviour up forward.

Our poor execution is combination of decision making and skills. Too often kicks and handballs just went to no mans land. We could have had Buddy and Roughhead up forward and many of the players would still miss the targets.

What a load of rubbish.

The game hasn't changed. A few rules have changed and the way some teams choose to play has changed. That's now up there with "he bleeds red and blue" and "a Ryan O'Keefe type player".

:lol:

You must the only one to miss that the game has changed more in the past 3 years than in the previous 10 years. Coaches, analysts and long term current players are all saying and continually commenting on it. The increased emphasis on ball possession, speed and mobility and impact running is paramount which had changed the game substantially.

That's now up there with "The world is square" etc.

However, I agree with about the "he bleeds red and blue" line. Whenever that is used it generally a turgid bit of waffle at best.