• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Major Sponsor - How as supporters/ members can we add value?

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Major Sponsor - How as supporters/members can we add value?

I'm starting this thread as a positive initiative to try and come up with ideas on how we as MFC members and supporters can assist our club in finding a major sponsor.

What "extra" would you be prepared to do?

What ideas can you put forward to offer a major sponsor "better bang for their bucks?

As an internet community it would be great if we had both online and offline proposals.

looking forward to your replies.

PS If the mods find this an inappropriate post or tooooo delicate for the times I understand and apologise in advance.

PPS Please keep comments positive and in the spirit this post in intended for.

[Content Deleted]

This is your opinion. Don't read the thread if thats how you feel.

Posts such as yours add nothing to the site, whereas the original post has been a catalyst for a lot of ideas in me alone (unfortunately I've not enough time right now to articulate them).

(Edited)

I am sorry if there was any confusion. It's hard trying to be discrete and clear at the same time and I really didn't want to paint the club in a negative manner as I don't think they did anything wrong in this affair. To clarify, the 'certain circles' are not football circles, but corporate ones. I cannot say much more but a similar sponsor to the one in question has recently moved on from Brisbane clearing the path for the new one to come along along and combined with the cheaper alternative offered offered by Brisbane in these lean economic times, we missed out. Fair to say it was a bit of of a perfect storm and there wasn't much we could have done.

Also it was not made entirely clear to me whether Coke (okay I said it!) was planning to sign on as our major sponsor. It may have just been as an intermediate sponsor. In summary, the club didn't do anything wrong and it may not have been a truly massive loss regardless. I am sure these deals are happening all the time. I was just passing on a nugget that passed my way, and I was a little clumsy in reporting it.

Well if it's Coke maybe they won't be very PROUD to be involved with the Brisbane Lions after today and perhaps they should throw their lot in with Richmond where we know that at least on player favours Coke.

For my part, I'll be drinking Pepsi tonight with my dinner.

Perhaps Telstra or Bigpond as a sponsor I mean they do broadcast over the internet how involved in football they are so why not jump on as a sponsor they run half the afl.com.au website so they obviously have cash and being bigpond our logo will be on every single persons computer as they log onto internet provided they are with bigpond. it is worth a go IMO. feel free to throw [censored] at me haha its only an idea.

Guest hangon007
Perhaps Telstra or Bigpond as a sponsor I mean they do broadcast over the internet how involved in football they are so why not jump on as a sponsor they run half the afl.com.au website so they obviously have cash and being bigpond our logo will be on every single persons computer as they log onto internet provided they are with bigpond. it is worth a go IMO. feel free to throw [censored] at me haha its only an idea.

Thanks for that.

Yip an online sponsor would be great its easy to create a storm online plus fairly easy to organise at a low cost. As a professional online marketer I could have this up and running in a matters of weeks. Especially with some active volunteers from a few passionate members of communities online like this.

However, I would suggest we should look for more concrete ideas offline then support with online activities.

Floating one idea ... now its only an idea!

One idea running threw my head is a coordinated publicity stunt aimed at key Melbourne transport facilities ie railway stations, airports & freeways.

Almost a thank-you "sponsor x" for supporting the Demons

Here are a few more traditional ideas

1/ Car stickers - targeting both personal and company fleet vehicles (especially companies that bosses barrack for Dees) ... with owners permission obviously. Maybe an incentive via a number plate competition.

2/ Sponsors apparel day - where we all ware our sponsors name on our apparel for a day and offer a prize for anybody who can get the most publicity for that sponsor.

Please guys give us ideas not suggested sponsors.

I suppose we could also ask connex I mean they are Melbourne and for a club wanting an image its a good idea there would be stickers on trains to and from the games also around Melbourne for commuters

I suppose we could also ask connex I mean they are Melbourne and for a club wanting an image its a good idea there would be stickers on trains to and from the games also around Melbourne for commuters

Like MFC and its supporters, Connex trains dont turn up particularly when you need them, their on track performance is variable and they dont like it when its hot.

Like MFC and its supporters, Connex trains dont turn up particularly when you need them, their on track performance is variable and they dont like it when its hot.

Yes true but as long as they are paying our bills i couldnt give a flying hoot if they dont like summer its a winter sport

Guest hangon007

Thanks guys for those "constructive comments" ... I think.

However, it would be great to stay on topic ... please give us some ideas on how to add value and dont suggest who we should or shouldn't get!

Looking forward to your positive input. ;)

Yes true but as long as they are paying our bills i couldnt give a flying hoot if they dont like summer its a winter sport

Put a real commercial hat on and ask why a company would want to sponsor a brand like MFC as against one of the other Clubs. MFC from any angle is hard sell.

Put a real commercial hat on and ask why a company would want to sponsor a brand like MFC as against one of the other Clubs. MFC from any angle is hard sell.

cos they'd get a good deal. I really think the difference in exposure is minimal.

Obviously the draw (re: FTA TV) we've been given for this coming season is pretty ordinary, but a company with vision will look at past years & see that clubs rise & fall very quickly in this game and a bad deal for this season might be a fantastic deal next season.

I really don't think it should be that hard to sell. Point them towards the woeful Hawthorn of 4-5 years ago & what value they represent to their sponsors now.

cos they'd get a good deal. I really think the difference in exposure is minimal.

I really don't think it should be that hard to sell. Point them towards the woeful Hawthorn of 4-5 years ago & what value they represent to their sponsors now.

Reality again! The exposure and brand weakness is significant.

If a entity wanted an financially stricken club with limited exposure on TV (big issue), limited upside (at least this year), little recent history of success, small supporter base with no regional/community connection then we could be good value.

And there is the global financial crisis.

Our situation and circumstances are far more dire than Hawthorn's ever was.

Guest hangon007

If a entity wanted an financially stricken club with limited exposure on TV (big issue), limited upside (at least this year), little recent history of success, small supporter base with no regional/community connection then we could be good value.

Trying to stay on topic ... So whats your positive ideas then?

You seem to feel you have a good grasp of the situation at hand.

I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Trying to stay on topic ... So whats your positive ideas then?

You seem to feel you have a good grasp of the situation at hand.

I'm looking forward to hearing them.

The silence is deafening. It's a shame when a supporter rubbishes other people's ideas whilst not contributing any of thier own. That's the kind of innovative thought we need.

Our selling point is the dire situation we are in. The closer we get to the start of the season the more dire our circumstances become, our sponsor will be seen as a saviour and get more exposure the closer we get to the beginning of the season.

I think the AFL should sponsor us since they have given us very little tv exposure and all of those Sunday games which make our marketability alot more difficult than other clubs. They dont help our cause. They are very liberal and should be ashamed of themselves. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. There big idea is to drive us interstate without trying to be so obvious. Thats just my opinion anyway. The AFL suck eggs!

Anyway! I think the Melbourne football club could maybe associate themselves with Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory in some way too attract there sponsorship. Since we are all Melbourne that could be lucrative for a major sponsor.

I think this discussion has moved off topic somewhat. This thread (I believe) was intended to pose the question, how can 'we' as supporters of the MFC offer a potential sponsor greater exposure than what would currently be experienced?

Most of these posts are based around which sponsor would help give the MFC the most exposure, missing the point somewhat.

The types of discussions should be around ideas or suggestions on what 'we' would do for our sponsor if they came on board. An example would be for us to start a group on a social networking site that would be dedicated to the sponsor and their product, giving them free exposure into the market as reward for helping out the club we all love.

Other suggestions may be around supporters offering free advertising through their own businesses, or pledging certain partnerships etc...

Discussions on the best suited sponsor is for a new discussion topic.

Does anyone have a business or Internet marketting capability that could help out in this area?

Guest hangon007
Does anyone have a business or Internet marketting capability that could help out in this area?

Yip Paul I can help in this area ... so happens I run my own professional internet marketing business and control a multiple site network which is growing weekly. (Dont tell anyone but I'm also a passionate Demons supporter ... but thats just between me and you)

My main area of specialty is website traffic generation

I would be happy to

* Offer free advertising on any of my websites

* Help drive traffic to our major sponsors website

* Assist in setting up any social networking site ie twitter or friendfeed are my areas of frequency

Plus I'm happy to do anything else online to help the cause.

Look forward to talking to you soon.

Our selling point is the dire situation we are in. The closer we get to the start of the season the more dire our circumstances become, our sponsor will be seen as a saviour and get more exposure the closer we get to the beginning of the season.

You might have something here. It may start to appeal to companies in good positions despite the beginning of the economic crisis, for exposure that only one AFL club is left looking for a sponsor in a sport that excels all others within Australia. There is a good opportunity....much like LG did back in 97-98.

They will get good exposure ....initially. But gee, the fixture doesn't help for the rest of the year. Improved performances will be the selling point to the sponsor for ongoing seasons... .

RR, the only way is up from here....surely a sponsor will see that.

Yip Paul I can help in this area ... so happens I run my own professional internet marketing business and control a multiple site network which is growing weekly. (Dont tell anyone but I'm also a passionate Demons supporter ... but thats just between me and you)

My main area of specialty is website traffic generation

I would be happy to

* Offer free advertising on any of my websites

* Help drive traffic to our major sponsors website

* Assist in setting up any social networking site ie twitter or friendfeed are my areas of frequency

Plus I'm happy to do anything else online to help the cause.

Look forward to talking to you soon.

This is definitely the kind of positive input we're looking for, well done, will be in touch.

I think this discussion has moved off topic somewhat. This thread (I believe) was intended to pose the question, how can 'we' as supporters of the MFC offer a potential sponsor greater exposure than what would currently be experienced?

Most of these posts are based around which sponsor would help give the MFC the most exposure, missing the point somewhat.

The types of discussions should be around ideas or suggestions on what 'we' would do for our sponsor if they came on board. An example would be for us to start a group on a social networking site that would be dedicated to the sponsor and their product, giving them free exposure into the market as reward for helping out the club we all love.

Other suggestions may be around supporters offering free advertising through their own businesses, or pledging certain partnerships etc...

Discussions on the best suited sponsor is for a new discussion topic.

Welcome to Demonland Prympke.

I can tell from your early posts that you will be as reliable a performer as your namesake (when not injured)!

As fas as the topic concerned:

I think the only real way we as members/supporters can add value is by supporting the company that supports our club if that means buying an LG TV instead of another brand etc. Extra exposure through members/supporters businesses sounds good but, especially the website idea.

Major Sponsor - How as supporters/members can we add value?

I'm starting this thread as a positive initiative to try and come up with ideas on how we as MFC members and supporters can assist our club in finding a major sponsor.

What "extra" would you be prepared to do?

What ideas can you put forward to offer a major sponsor "better bang for their bucks?

As an internet community it would be great if we had both online and offline proposals.

looking forward to your replies.

PS If the mods find this an inappropriate post or tooooo delicate for the times I understand and apologise in advance.

PPS Please keep comments positive and in the spirit this post in intended for.

I like the prmise of this thread and seems a good fit to what will be the theme of my first post on Demonland.

The consensus from what I am reading talks to why the MFC is yet to sign a major corporate partner...and that is simply what is the MFC's Value Proposition to a potential sponsor? What return on investment can the MFC deliver to a sponsor's investment? If you focus the solution to these questions to on-field outcomes then the MFC is clearly behind the league benchmark teams and what they can offer in the form of on-field results and media exposure.

This gets to the reason on why I decided to join Demonland and begin posting. The Melbourne Football Club needs to establish a value-proposition that is not reliant and centred to on-field performance. That is the critical element to our football clubs sustainable sucess...how do we do this you ask? Over the next few weeks I am going to be posting a number of questions to the MFC's on-line community which will begin to paint a picture on how the MFC can secure their long term viablility through engaging directly with it's supporter base.

So, the first question is...as a MFC Member or supporter, has the MFC ever approached you in an official capacity to understand your demographic position including your background, employment & associated statistics, lifestyle activities, history with following MFC etc. In short, do you think the MFC has a clear picture of what it's supporter base looks like and what motivates them??

D

Guest hangon007
So, the first question is...as a MFC Member or supporter, has the MFC ever approached you in an official capacity to understand your demographic position including your background, employment & associated statistics, lifestyle activities, history with following MFC etc. In short, do you think the MFC has a clear picture of what it's supporter base looks like and what motivates them??

D

These are top quality questions ... speaking purely from a personal level I would have to answer no to both.

No ... I've never been approached. Sadly IMHO football clubs seem to only care about your membership fees, they only care what you can give them and understand little about what you can make them.

No ... They have no idea what I look like, what motivates me into action. The 44th President of the USA was brilliant in this aspect. Taking his supporters potential energy and turning it into kinetic energy ie actions. He proved anything was possible if you understand modern technology and constantly communicated with your "tribe" via multiple tools.

These are top quality questions ... speaking purely from a personal level I would have to answer no to both.

No ... I've never been approached. Sadly IMHO football clubs seem to only care about your membership fees, they only care what you can give them and understand little about what you can make them.

No ... They have no idea what I look like, what motivates me into action. The 44th President of the USA was brilliant in this aspect. Taking his supporters potential energy and turning it into kinetic energy ie actions. He proved anything was possible if you understand modern technology and constantly communicated with your "tribe" via multiple tools.

I think you are wrong here, I remember last year doing a survey that asked all those questions. In fact I have done this for the last two years.